UT-memphis class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

missR

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
its about time we started this thread. I am really excited about this school. Looking forward to chatting with fellow future memphis students

Members don't see this ad.

its about time we started this thread. I am really excited about this school. Looking forward to chatting with fellow future memphis students

aww, this thread is neglected! where are all the tennesseeans?

Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted. I'm an M1, and I know there are other people who check out SDN, so if you have any questions about UT-Memphis, feel free to ask...

Members don't see this ad :)
I would really appreciate it if anyone could pass on extra info(specifics) about their curriculum. Thanks

Thanks for starting this thread missR! I'll be down at Memphis in August 08, and I can't wait. I was actually accepted last year (07-08) but deferred for this year and headed off to get my MPH first.

UT-Memphis seems like a great place with friendly southern folk, and the clinical rotations are excellent as many of their students told me. Memphis will be a whole new place to mess around. (I am from Johnson City, and--although Quillen is an awesome school with plenty of people I know from high school--East TN was just not "it" for me regarding med school.) Plus, one of my best buds is a D1 at UT right now, and I should be staying at his house. He loves it so I can't wait!

So let's hear from some other folks, our future classmates and friends...:D

I'm going to check to see if Facebook has a 2012 group...if not, then I'll fire one up and let people know about it via SDN.

Hey again, I just got back from Facebook and did not find anything related to the Class of 2012...but there were some good sized groups for pharmacy and others, so let's show 'em. Join this group; c'mon by August, there should be 150 of us joined up.

Here's the link --> Click me! Do your part.

Glad I found this thread. Can't wait to talk to my future classmates.

Yes, Diane and Nelson are extremely helpful. They will respond to emails the next day and are more then willing to set up personal appointments.

Next question... Where is everyone living next year? I'm looking for a compatible roommate (or roommates) for possible midtown condo/mud island home.

I know there's only three people who have posted, but this should be a great thread in the near future! Thanks!

It's going to be a great next 4 years. Memphis rocks.

Hey guys...and ladies

My name is paul. I'm a first year. about to be a second year. thank God.

Anyway, if you all have any questions about classes, housing, social life, studying, whatever, just let me know. Memphis is definitely the place to be to see all the ridiculous stuff medicine has to offer. you will get an excellent education here, especially clinical medicine. which is why I am here.

Good luck to anyone still waiting to hear back and freaking enjoy this summer before school starts.

Hey, an email was sent out to our class saying that the housing weekend for the Class of 2012 will be the weekend of May 30th. This is just a heads-up...I probably wouldn't buy a plane ticket til you see something on the UT website or get an email or letter from the Admissions Office. Although, I'm pretty sure they let us know about 2-3 weeks before ours took place.
The housing weekend gives you a chance to meet some of your classmates, find an apt/house and a roommate (if you want one), and also get a little familiar with Memphis and meet some of the other med students. Plus they'll have stuff for you to do.. we went to a Red Birds (minor league baseball) game.

Congratulations to those already in, and good luck to those waiting to hear!

This sounds like a blast!

Again, my name is Drew (c/o 2012) and I can't wait to meet all of you on that weekend. I've lived in Memphis the for greater part of my life, and love it there. I'm sure you all will as well.

I'm in the process of finding a roommate for next year. If anyone is looking for a fun, easygoing guy who loves music, let me know!

I haven't gotten an email or letter yet about housing weekend, but thanks for the update!

Join the Class of 2012 Facebook Group!

See you all soon,

Drew Wodowski

This is going to seem like a silly question, but I am waiting on a acceptance/rejection from UT right now and I was just wondering if they sent a large packet or just a flat envelope for the acceptances...??? I just want to know what to look for (hopefully!) this upcoming week in the mail!

When I received my acceptance letter last year it was in a large envelope and had:
"Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" typed on the outside of it.
Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a random question. Has anyone received any information from UT about next year? I got in for August in late November, but I have yet to hear anything from them since!

Thanks!

I received this email from Nelson today! Anyone else get it? I'm from Memphis and will be there all summer and I plan on attending this. Sounds like a great time!

-Drew

Please see the message below from Jaclyn Bergeron regarding the Housing Weekend later this month. We hope to see you then.

Many thanks,

Nelson Strother

Greetings Class of 2012! We would like to be some of the first students to welcome you to UT, and help you get settled in. The Medical Student Executive Council (MSEC) is hosting our third annual housing weekend May 30-June 2. This is a great opportunity to come into town and meet some fellow classmates, look for a place to live, and become more comfortable with Memphis! You can stay with a current student and check the place out! This is a great time to set up roommate arrangements, and we are working on a webpage where you can contact current students looking for roommates.

The lineup for the weekend is as follows:

You role into town on Friday afternoon and meet your host (That's right we have students to put you up.) Our friends in the 4th year class will be graduating that day!

Friday night we will host a party at TJ Mulligans, a local pub where med students often get together for trivia or a pint. We will provide some AWESOME chicken tenders, a keg and various assorted non-alcoholic beverages, and give everyone a chance to hang out. After a while the rest of the medical school will join us.

Saturday we will have an informal student panel describing different parts of the city, the positives and negatives of living there, where they lived before, etc. Breakfast will be provided at this time.

Saturday afternoon we will split up and head out to tour the town. You can visit apartments, check out homes for sale, whatever.

Saturday night we will be having a cookout at the medical fraternity house Phi Chi. Yet another opportunity for bonding with your future classmates. We will have hot dogs, hamburgers, etc.

Sunday you head home.

So now what.... If you want to come, and I promise you do :), just let me know by emailing me at [email protected], let me know if you need a host, if you have a spouse coming, and an email and phone number where you can be reached. Feel free to email me with any questions as well.

The cost of the weekend is $10, and all food except lunch on Saturday will be provided (you may want to bring a little extra cash if you want to hit the town). Please come join us, it will be a great weekend!

Looking forward to meeting you all and, again, CONGRATULATIONS on acceptance to medical school! Welcome to UT!!!!

Jaclyn Bergeron ([email protected])

I am about 95% certain that I am going to UT!! I have lived in Memphis all of my life (including undergrad). I can't wait to meet all of y'all soon!! I definitely plan on attending housing weekend (but I'm not sure if I'll stay with a student)

I'm a first year right now, about to finish up the year. Just two more exams to go. Excited to meet everyone during housing weekend. My roommate and I will be hosting two students at our place on Mud Island, but encourage everyone to make if at all possible. Last year, it was a blast. There pretty much something to do for everyone this weekend. We went to a minor league baseball game, a few bars, had plenty of free food and tons of advice on practically everything.

So if anyone of you have any questions (general or specific) just hit me up.

Just a couple of things:
--don't buy any books yet. at all. none.
--try not to room with a non-student. it can be a pharm or dental student, but a fellow med student is a good idea since you'll basically be on the same schedule the whole time. it's what i'm doing and it's worked out great.
--the VAST MAJORITY of your classmates will live on Mud Island their first year. it's a fun, young, and relatively safe part of town. and there are options for very nice apartments, cheaper apartments and houses.

Hey everyone. I was wondering if you all have made housing arrangements yet. I am not sure if I will be living in Mud Island as the apartments there are a bit on the expensive side. I just wanted to get an idea on where everyone is staying since I do want to stay close to all the other M1s!

I went out to Mud Island yesterday to check out the apartment complexes and most of them are full with waitlists for all 2 bedrooms or 1 bedrooms w/ a study. The Estates are full for anything opening in August. The Arbors has some opening in June and July, but they have a waitlist with 15 people on it for openings in August. Island park is full. Belle Harbour is mostly full. I didn't go to Riverset. They all seem to be within the same price range. I have a question for any current students out there or anyone who knows...which lots do I pick for the parking? I'm sure I'm late to sign up, but I have no idea where any of them are! Help please!

I went out to Mud Island yesterday to check out the apartment complexes and most of them are full with waitlists for all 2 bedrooms or 1 bedrooms w/ a study. The Estates are full for anything opening in August. The Arbors has some opening in June and July, but they have a waitlist with 15 people on it for openings in August. Island park is full. Belle Harbour is mostly full. I didn't go to Riverset. They all seem to be within the same price range. I have a question for any current students out there or anyone who knows...which lots do I pick for the parking? I'm sure I'm late to sign up, but I have no idea where any of them are! Help please!

Most people are in "M" lot. It's the main one for the first and second years. It's basically just an open lot with a fence on Madison. It's about a block from campus and always monitored by the cops. pretty safe.
If that's full they usually put you in "I" lot (where I am). It's smaller, has a gate and is right next to the UT police station on Jefferson. It's more of a walk, but not by much. I'd recommend "M" if you have a choice. By the time six pm rolls around pretty much everyone is gone from "I" lot and I'm the only car there. Just not as safe. hope that helps.

Hey guys,

I'm currently on the waitlist for the Arbors. I have reserved a 2br, 2 ba place... relatively cheaper, for move in august 1st. I'm looking for a roommate, hopefully an M1 male. Let me know if you are interested... the arbors said that I should have no problem getting a spot! Hit me up!

Drew
[email protected]

Hey guys,

I'm currently on the waitlist for the Arbors. I have reserved a 2br, 2 ba place... relatively cheaper, for move in august 1st. I'm looking for a roommate, hopefully an M1 male. Let me know if you are interested... the arbors said that I should have no problem getting a spot! Hit me up!

Drew
[email protected]

oh i am glad there are some other people living on mud island! i already got a place there because i heard like 90% of the M1 class lives there. then, everyone at the housing weekend said they were living in midtown and i started getting a little nervous...good luck finding a roommate!

n/m

Last edited:
hi everyone, i didnt get a chance to make it to housing weekend, so i was wondering if anyone is still looking for a roommate and would like to live in midtown. thanks!

Hi classmates!

I'm a native Memphian attending UT COM this fall.

I am moving downtown just before classes start (Uptown Square). You should be ok in many of the larger apartments communities/condos in the downtown/midtown area. If you have any questions about any places, just let me know. I can give you some insight on most of them after my exhaustive search earlier this year. My school email is esmith71.

I'm looking forward to meeting you all!!!

Hey guys! Congrats on getting into UT!

I am an M4 living in a gorgeous midtown neighborhood (Evergreen Historic District) and my roommate graduated....looking for a female roommate. The house is a duplex and I share the other side with an M2 and incoming M1. The house has two bedrooms, 1.5 bath, washer/dryer, central heat and air, hardwood floors throughout, ceiling fans, fenced in backyard, and is two blocks from overton park in an amazing neighborhood. The nieghborhood is very safe and we have offstreet covered parking with well motion detector lighting. House is almost completely furnished but there is room for living room furniture and whatever you want to put in your bedroom. Rent is $450 NOT including utilities and cable/internet.

About me: I am an M4, like to go out, have fun. I enjoy mentoring and giving advice to underclassmen. I am somewhat clean but not a neatfreak. I will be gone most of the fall on away rotations.

Let me know if you are interested!

This sounds like a blast!

Again, my name is Drew (c/o 2012) and I can't wait to meet all of you on that weekend. I've lived in Memphis the for greater part of my life, and love it there. I'm sure you all will as well.

I'm in the process of finding a roommate for next year. If anyone is looking for a fun, easygoing guy who loves music, let me know!

I haven't gotten an email or letter yet about housing weekend, but thanks for the update!

Join the Class of 2012 Facebook Group!

See you all soon,

Drew Wodowski
I saw your mommy the other day and talked to her for a little while. :D

Congrats on getting in.

Hey everybody, just joined this thread...I'm looking forward to meeting you all in the fall! I know everyone says med school is all about studying, but I'm not gonna lie: I'm looking forward to some good times too. I've only been to Memphis a couple of times (one of which was for the interview), so I'm going to need one of the experienced Memphis residents to show me around...

A question for some of the current students (and if any incoming students have info, I'd love to hear it too): What is a more realistic budget for "living expenses"? Or is the FinAid office's estimate of around $17000 pretty accurate? Just wondering for loan purposes...speaking of which, if you don't mind sharing, what lenders have looked best to you guys? I'm still doing my research on them to finalize...

A question for some of the current students (and if any incoming students have info, I'd love to hear it too): What is a more realistic budget for "living expenses"? Or is the FinAid office's estimate of around $17000 pretty accurate? Just wondering for loan purposes...speaking of which, if you don't mind sharing, what lenders have looked best to you guys? I'm still doing my research on them to finalize...

I lived by myself in a more expensive location (cause i thought it was safer...car was still broken into) during M1 and M2 year and used most of the loan money they gave us. You must remember that the money given might have to stretch you through the summer after M1 year if you don't get a job (you will want to relax, trust me). Also you will be buying books, possibly a computer, stethoscope, late nights on Beale St., etc.

M3 year I took out all the money and used $5000 less because i lived with a roommate. This is good because i am trying to save up for interviews.

Monthly Budget needs to include: rent (?), Utilities (100?), cable (100), phone (70), food (200-300), fun, clothes, school supplies. Budgets don't work for me though.

Don't forget health insurance (stay on your parents for as long as possible, then switch to school or other cheap option) and car insurance.
[On that note, when you get your registration for the fall (aka your bill) you will be charged for student health insurance automatically....don't panic. If you want it, just let them charge you for it and you will be automatically enrolled. If you would rather use your parents or some other health ins policy, go to the registrar's ofice in the hyman building and show them your card, cross it off on your bill, and you won't be charged. Also there is a HepB Vaccination Charge. If you have already been vaccinated you can go to the health center on the 9th floor of 910 Madison and get them to draw a blood level to prove your vaccination status and they will mail you a rebate.]

Best thing to do is take out all of the money and if you don't use it all, write your lender a check at the end of the year with the extra.

As far as the lender goes, I use EdFinancial. They didn't go under with the rest of the companies during the student loan crisis this year and they communicate well. Also, they have an office in TN. Go with whomever you feel comfortable though. Read some of the fine print to see who is offering the best deals.

Thanks for all the information and advice, Love2Laugh! It helps a lot...especially considering all the expenses involved with med school. It'll be good to save a few bucks :)

Hey,

I have been really busy over the past few months and have not been very active on this thread. However, I will be attending UT in the fall for sure and am truly excited to meet you all! I am from Germantown, TN so if anybody else is in the Memphis area and has some time to meet up, chill, grab a bite, etc. then definitely hit me up on SDN.

So I will be living in a 2-story house in the Harbor Town area of Memphis and there is a bedroom for rent...!!

Spacious bedroom with an attached bathroom available for a male tenant at a rate of $850 / month. House is located in Harbor Town and is a 10 minute drive to UTHSC. All living areas other than the bedroom are furnished. Cable, internet, and community trash removal are included. There is also a 2-car garage that opens into the kitchen. The location is truly beautiful and Harbor Town square is located just a short walk away. Here you find restaurants, a deli, a grocery store and more. A Kroger and Schnucks are about 10 minutes away also. I am an upcoming M1 who works hard and plays hard. I definitely take my work seriously, but in my free time I love socializing and hanging out, watching and playing sports, etc. Pictures are available at your request. If interested or wanting to inquire more please PM me or e-mail me at [email protected]

just peeking into the thread. I along with two other dental students (D1) are moving Tuesday to mud island.

I have another question for any current students: I'm about to purchase a new computer and I really want to get a Mac. Is there any reason that I shouldn't? I know that the computer requirements page list things for a PC and Mac, so hopefully that is a good sign. I just don't want to buy one and then have some important stuff from the school not work. Any advice? Let me know! Thanks!

Hey everyone! I guess I am a little late in joining this thread, but I am looking forward to meeting you all at the NSO.

MDdegree, although I am not a current student (obviously), I have a Mac and I run Windows on it as well. So, if you get a Mac but run into some problems at school then you can just switch over to Windows and you should be fine. Hope this helps!