I could use some good advice.....

Started by Baditude
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Baditude

Senior Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My school has assigned me to an anesthesia elective rotation before I have done any core rotations to "get me started". 😱 What can I read or do before so I don't look like an idiot? I am interested in pain medicine so I would like to make a somewhat decent impression even with them knowing I have no experience yet. Any advice would be appreciated!!!
 
Just learn 2 things: 1) start IVs until you're sick of starting them. 2) intubate as many patients as you can. Regards, ---Zip
 
My school has assigned me to an anesthesia elective rotation before I have done any core rotations to "get me started". 😱 What can I read or do before so I don't look like an idiot? I am interested in pain medicine so I would like to make a somewhat decent impression even with them knowing I have no experience yet. Any advice would be appreciated!!!

everyone knows you are an idiot.. dont try to prove them wrong... ( no offense).... just be eager to learn.. look interested.. smile a lot.. look like everything is going your way.. even though they are not.. forget about ivs and intubations.. do a few but you are not there to master those.. you are there to get a feel for what anesthesia is all about
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i like morgan/mikhail and anesthesia secrets. if you don't want to buy books maybe search your school uptodate or nejm for a review article. read about the anes drugs in your pharmacology text if you already own one. most rotations loan you baby miller so you can read that. read up on the monitors. be familar with the drugs. these two things will help you know what is going on....
 
I arranged to do the equivalent of an anesthesia clerkship during my MS2 year to check things out. Even without the knowledge from core clerkships, you can go far with your knowledge of phys, pharm, and disease processes.

I think the new edition (much improved in my opinion) of Baby Miller would be a good place to start.
 
Thank you everyone!! I was really worried about this rotation! I will read the items suggested and hopefully hit the ground running!😉