Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaseratiGT

Legilimens!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

How exactly can you rate a residency? How, when your picking out YOUR top program, do you know if the program is say...one of the top ten in the country?

What makes a good residency a good residency? :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys,

How exactly can you rate a residency? How, when your picking out YOUR top program, do you know if the program is say...one of the top ten in the country?

What makes a good residency a good residency? :D

It depends on what you are looking for. Do you want to have a residency that is clinically strong, surgically strong, or a balance? Do you want a program that is highly academic? Do you want a "country club" program? Different people want different things.

I wanted a program that gave strong and well balanced surgical training in forefoot, rearfoot, and ankle surgery including both trauma and elective so that is what I went for. I'm in the OR 5-7 days a week. Some of my friends would hate this type of program!

Concerning residency "rankings", there is really nothing official but I know there is a thread around here somewhere that discusses it. A consensus seems to have been reached amongst the SDN'ers for what it's worth.

It depends on what you are looking for. Do you want to have a residency that is clinically strong, surgically strong, or a balance? Do you want a program that is highly academic? Do you want a "country club" program? Different people want different things.

I wanted a program that gave strong and well balanced surgical training in forefoot, rearfoot, and ankle surgery including both trauma and elective so that is what I went for. I'm in the OR 5-7 days a week. Some of my friends would hate this type of program!

Concerning residency "rankings", there is really nothing official but I know there is a thread around here somewhere that discusses it. A consensus seems to have been reached amongst the SDN'ers for what it's worth.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=306230&highlight=Residency+Program+Best+Podiatry

Members don't see this ad :)
Just remember a "good" pod residency is not the same as a "good" pod school.
There's a lot of good programs out there to choose from and you should probably be more judicious in searching for the right "match" for you.

Thanks a lot jonwill and stafocker. As I read through the posts, I get loads of information from you both! Keep up the good work! :D

Jon and Stafocker make good points. While all of the pod schools all give you basically what you need and you can always read about things, all residencies are not so equal. Some may expose you to little or no trauma, some might have few or no pediatric surgery, very low/high on clinic and billing exposure, very high/low wound care experience, high/low research and academics, etc. It's all a matter of what you want from a program, and if you don't see the cases you want, you will either not have those skills or need to do a fellowship to get it afterwards.

That said, I read through most of the Jan 07 Clin Pod Med Surg today. The issue topic was residency training, and the authors were residency directors and main attendings from around the country. It had nice points on everything from qualities of a good resident/residency, research in residency, teaching styles and pimping, journal club, competency tests, etc.

The link Jon provided is great. As a student who recently applied for clerkships, here's a list of some of the well respected programs I ran across from talking to upperclassmen, residents, attendings, etc. It's by no means a comprehensive list, and it's just intended to give some students food for thought. You only have a handful of clerkships before CRIPS, so you want to do your homework. I simply grouped them merely by region, and I'm sure I am missing a lot of great programs (especially in the Cali, NYC, and Chicagoland parts of the country that I didn't do much research on since I wasn't planning on clerking/applying there)...

Northeast
Inova-Fairfax
Cambridge
Beth Isreal Deaconess
DVA - Yale
UMDNJ
UPMC
West Penn
Penn - Presby
Temple
Drexel

Southeast
Orlando
UF Shands
DeKalb (formerly Northlake)
JFK
Westside Reg Med Cntr
South Miami
Palmetto

Midwest
Forest Park
Grant
Jewish
StVincent Charity
CCF
OhioSt Univ
Regions
Gundersen Lutheran
Wheaton Franciscan
Detroit Med Cntr
Oakwood Annapolis
StJohn Hosp Med Cntr
Henry Ford - Macomb
Genesys

Northwest
Presby - StLukes
Swedish
Legacy

South/Southwest
DVA - Phoenix
Scripps
Any Kaiser Calif one, esp SF Bay Area
Scott and White
West Houston
UTHC - SA

The ones in bold are probably most of the "big name" programs which are widely viewed in podiatry as high powered programs. That said, while a program name like Northlake or Swedish on your resume might get awe in the podiatry community, bigger teaching hospitals like MassGen or Yale might take you further in the MD/DO circles if you applied for hospital privileges or a multispecialty group...

Last edited:
I'am really disappointed by some residency program's salary compensation. While the top tiers pay around $40-$44k. There are some who are still rotting down at $26-$28K. Thats so bad. there should be some decent minimum salary and then depending upon local expenses it shud be lil bit greater or lesser. but $28K, and one of that residency (24 months i believe) is located in Chi town. That seriously discourages someone from applying. At some places you are being offered $44k and some are paying mere peanuts at $28K. thats really bad!

Aren't there some residencies in big cities that pay in the mid 50's? I didn't think the highest was at 44K.

ah, i really want to do residency in texas. SA is the only one that stands out.

I met a resident at west houston, cool guy. Too bad the program is not a PMS 36
Things change fast. UTHC-SA's longtime director who made the program pretty famous, Dr. Harkless, left the program to be the dean of the new Cali pod school opening this fall. I'm sure they have other great faculty, but you always want to visit if possible.

There are multiple other quality programs in Texas and elsewhere that I didn't list. I just a rattled off a handful the big name ones. There are a lot of other young residency programs which are not well known yet, but you can still get great training. Similarly, there are some older programs which might not be as good as they once were, yet their famous alumni from years gone by keep their reputation high. You will ultimately have to just read and ask around about the ones you might be interested in, but for now, just keep your gpa up so you will have options when your clerkship and residency process arrives.

Aren't there some residencies in big cities that pay in the mid 50's? I didn't think the highest was at 44K.
Some Cali and Boston area ones appear to pay very well (around 55-60k/yr if I remember right), but cost of living there will also kill you (hence "appear").

Salary is not the only thing to look at... health/dent insurance (esp if you have a family by then), uniforms, books/CME allowance, reimbursements for board exams and organization fees, vacation time, etc matter too. A $40k/yr program with great benefits could worth more than a $50k/yr one with little else to offer.

Residency location and salary are pretty small concerns in the grand scheme of things. You want the best training even if it means being relatively broke for a few years or in a less than perfect city.

Salary is not the only thing to look at... health/dent insurance (esp if you have a family by then), uniforms, books/CME allowance, reimbursements for board exams and organization fees, vacation time, etc matter too. A $40k/yr program with great benefits could worth more than a $50k/yr one with little else to offer.

IMO

Salary is the last thing to look at. Yes you must be able to support yourself, but you also want to get the best training that you can and go to a program that you feel comfortable at. Money should be last or at least way lower on the list. Residency is not a job it is training ground where you happen to be paid for your slavery:laugh:.

There are residencies that pay 60G in NYC. They are probably good programs, but it cost tons more to live in NYC.

The reason to think about money or the way to think about money - if the program only pays 26G or so where is all the other money going? If the directors do not see fit to give you a decent wage do they really care about your well being? Do they really care if you make it after graduating?

The programs that pay a bit more and have good benefits (large book allowance, meals, lab coats, paid travel and paid courses separate from book allowance for scope course, medical missions, conferences...) these are the programs that care about what happens to their residents after graduation. They want their residents to succeed.

Just my 2 cents

ah, i really want to do residency in texas. SA is the only one that stands out.

I met a resident at west houston, cool guy. Too bad the program is not a PMS 36

West Houston is a pretty good program. The fact that it is not a PM&S-36 program, should not deter you from being interested in that program. It is currently a PSR-24 program, which is an older residency model where residents graduating from the program will be able to sit for both the Foot Surgery and Reconstructive Rearfoot Surgery board exams. By the time you are applying for residency, this program would have converted over into the PM&S-36 residency model. The residency director of West Houston program is the brother of the residency director of the West Penn residency program. Due to this connection, some of the West Houston residents are able to rotate with Dr. Dror Paley for limb reconstructive surgery. Based on my classmates that have done their residency training at both San Antonio and West Houston programs, West Houston is probably the better of the two programs.

Random question going along with the whole salary debate...do you have to pay back your student loans during this time while you're not making too much plus having to pay for living expenses on top of that? I know loans have different stipulations (whether federal stafford type loans or private loans/loan consolidation), but can anyone comment on this? I guess the best option is to have a rich girlfriend...

Members don't see this ad :)
Random question going along with the whole salary debate...do you have to pay back your student loans during this time while you're not making too much plus having to pay for living expenses on top of that? I know loans have different stipulations (whether federal stafford type loans or private loans/loan consolidation), but can anyone comment on this? I guess the best option is to have a rich girlfriend...

You can defer your student loans during residency if you choose. However you will still accrue interest on private and unsubsidized loans at this time I believe.

And remember this while you are poor, "Mcnuggets, Mcnuggets, What! Mcnuggets, Mcnuggets What! Ketchup and Mayo, Ketchup and Mayo..." fine print, only till Jan 20

If this is true, then I am really looking forward to this program. :D
Yes, West Houston is a strong program; a good number of my classmates are clerking there later this year. In addition to the points dpmgrad noted, the residents there also do grand rounds and/or journal clubs via teleconference with Presby - StLukes in Denver.

Yes, West Houston is a strong program; a good number of my classmates are clerking there later this year. In addition to the points dpmgrad noted, the residents there also do grand rounds and/or journal clubs via teleconference with Presby - StLukes in Denver.

They must be going to Kingwood because West Houston does not take externs

They must be going to Kingwood because West Houston does not take externs
That could be... I don't really know much about the TX programs since I wasn't too interested in going there. Maybe the people I talked to are clerking at Kingwood or just planning on visiting West Houston during their other clerkships or their month off.

I wonder why a program that takes 6 residents per year wouldn't have a student clerkship. I know a other programs I looked into, like MGH or Womack, that don't have a clerkship, but they only have to find 1 or 2 resident per year. It seems like it'd be hard for West Houston to find 6 good people every year just at CRIPS, but maybe tons of students visit the program beforehand or they do consistently get enough apps just based on reputation and a popular location?

Leaving aside few top residencies. Most of the residencies have pretty average requirements in that CRIP website. Practically how true is this?

I'am really disappointed by some residency program's salary compensation. While the top tiers pay around $40-$44k. There are some who are still rotting down at $26-$28K. Thats so bad. there should be some decent minimum salary and then depending upon local expenses it shud be lil bit greater or lesser. but $28K, and one of that residency (24 months i believe) is located in Chi town. That seriously discourages someone from applying. At some places you are being offered $44k and some are paying mere peanuts at $28K. thats really bad!

Chicago, like ny and Florida, have some terrible programs but pay should be the LAST factor to determine it( but to at least me, it should be a minor role, not major). Its honestly impossible to live off 24k, but they did live off 1500 for the year just in the 80's!! Feli's list is great, any program off that list is good, of course I'm bias ;).

I've been doing a lot of research into the profession, and even though I am X years away from doing a residency, I was wondering if people could talk about the perks of each of the top programs. Many people share the sentiment that a residency ranking is not a one size fits all type ranking.

Would people who have been to different residencies, or who are current residents mind sharing their feelings on the positives and negatives of the programs. I.e--exposure to: trauma, sports medicine, clinic, pre & post- operative care, amount of surgical procedures, preparation for academic positions/research, etc.

One other question for everyone, who are the big names in podiatry? I remember seeing a post about some of the top surgeons, and I can not find it. I'm not sure what their specialties were, but I remember a post with a bunch of "high-profile" names.

...who are the big names in podiatry? I remember seeing a post about some of the top surgeons, and I can not find it. I'm not sure what their specialties were, but I remember a post with a bunch of "high-profile" names.
You will begin to find this out on your own once you start reading podiatry journal articles (should start in 2nd or 3rd year... probably best to really kick into gear after pt1 boards).

It also kinda depends on what aspect of the profession you are really looking to learn about. Most of the best known DPMs tend to carve out a niche in a sub-specialty such as surgery, diabetes, education, or even politics.

It all depends on who you talk to, and any response you get will be a bit biased by who the respondant reads. I have to admit that I probably haven't read nearly as much as I could from top west coast authors, but that's largely a funtion of where I go to school and where my upcoming clerkships will be. You can't read everything. Below are just a few names just to get you started. Again, like a "top residencies" list, it's by no means comprehensive. These guys have authored some of the "classic" journal articles and texts that many other DPMs have read...

Diabetes:
D Armstrong, L Lavery, J Steinberg, L Harkless, many others

Surgery (bone/joint):
ED McGlamry, T Chang, A Catanzariti, M Downey, G Yu, A Banks, R Mendicino, M McGlamry, G Guman, S Kalish, many others

Research:
D Malay, D Armstrong, others

As you know, podiatry has changed greatly and gradually increased residency length and fellowship offerings, so it's really a profession where many very well trained docs are still fairly young. Consequently, there are many up-and-coming DPMs who are well respected yet haven't published or authored very much yet. A couple examples of fairly young DPMs whose rep in the field will continue to grow would be J Grossman and B Lamm for surgery or S Wu, LC Rodgers, and P Kim for diabetes/education/research.

I was wondering if some of you could get a little more specific about residencies in a few areas. My boyfriend is a medical student and will be starting his residency a year before I do. I realize personal relationships should not necessarily dictate where you do a residency, but I have to admit I think having someone there to support me will make things less stressful. He is ranking residencies in the Boston, Chicago, and San Jose areas as his top choices. He is also considering Mayo in Minnesota, but from what I can tell there are no pod residencies near there. Are there going to be good options for me in these locations (I am really interested in a residency that focuses on biomechanics, sports medicine and/or surgery), and if so what are they? Thanks for the advice.

I was wondering if some of you could get a little more specific about residencies in a few areas. My boyfriend is a medical student and will be starting his residency a year before I do. I realize personal relationships should not necessarily dictate where you do a residency, but I have to admit I think having someone there to support me will make things less stressful. He is ranking residencies in the Boston, Chicago, and San Jose areas as his top choices. He is also considering Mayo in Minnesota, but from what I can tell there are no pod residencies near there. Are there going to be good options for me in these locations (I am really interested in a residency that focuses on biomechanics, sports medicine and/or surgery), and if so what are they? Thanks for the advice.
All of the MN residencies are in the twin cities area roughly an hour or less from Mayo clinic in Rochester.

Regions (a U of MN affiliated hospital) in StPaul is probably the most noted of the Minnesota programs, and its director, Dr. Boffeli, is highly regarded. Still, the programs in that area all attract good residents and offer good training.

As you will see, there are getting to be pretty good pod residencies almost everywhere now...
http://www.casprcrip.org/html/casprcrip/directory.asp

I visited every program in MN and I can honestly say that you would be exellently trained coming out of any of them. There are 3 in the state and two of them were really good in my opinion. Mercy hospital in Coon Rapids and Regions are both great programs and both have really great directors. If you have any specific questions about the MN programs PM me.

Just a little pet peeve of mine...

Sports medicine and surgery are not exclusive of each other. Athletes tend to need surgical correction more often then the regular person with the same injury.

What's the word on the street about the three year program at HCMC in Minneapolis? Has anybody rotated through there on this forum? I find it hard to believe that regions is a better program, as HCMC is one of a few regional centers of excellence in the midwest and sees more of the trauma in the twin cities. How are the programs in Denver? Why is the program in Greely so highly rated?

. Below are just a few names just to get you started. Again, like a "top residencies" list, it's by no means comprehensive. These guys have authored some of the "classic" journal articles and texts that many other DPMs have read...

Diabetes:
D Armstrong, L Lavery, J Steinberg, L Harkless, many others

Surgery (bone/joint):
ED McGlamry, T Chang, A Catanzariti, M Downey, G Yu, A Banks, R Mendicino, M McGlamry, G Guman, S Kalish, many others

Research:
D Malay, D Armstrong, others

As you know, podiatry has changed greatly and gradually increased residency length and fellowship offerings, so it's really a profession where many very well trained docs are still fairly young. Consequently, there are many up-and-coming DPMs who are well respected yet haven't published or authored very much yet. A couple examples of fairly young DPMs whose rep in the field will continue to grow would be J Grossman and B Lamm for surgery or S Wu, LC Rodgers, and P Kim for diabetes/education/research.

haha, wow a lot of those names are REALLY classic..haha.

It's like Myerson in Orthopaedic F&A. He published a ton of stuff in the 80's so everyone still refers to his stuff. But that was like 20 years ago, haha, but it's what you still read about even in Pod manuals. (Dude, i just met a Gas Station worker who WASN'T even BORN in the 80'S!! Soon, there'll be resident's who don't know what the 80's are... dude, i'm getting old.)

Classic is great, but we read those to understand where we are now and respect the ppl who made strides for higher patient care standards. make sure to understand the thinking and evolution of where treatments have changed.

"mcglamry"... wow, really classic, haha.

haha, wow a lot of those names are REALLY classic..haha.

It's like Myerson in Orthopaedic F&A. He published a ton of stuff in the 80's so everyone still refers to his stuff. But that was like 20 years ago, haha, but it's what you still read about even in Pod manuals. (Dude, i just met a Gas Station worker who WASN'T even BORN in the 80'S!! Soon, there'll be resident's who don't know what the 80's are... dude, i'm getting old.)

Classic is great, but we read those to understand where we are now and respect the ppl who made strides for higher patient care standards. make sure to understand the thinking and evolution of where treatments have changed.

What is your deal?

A student wanted names in the profession to look for. It is pretty rude to laugh at others opinions. I wouldn't argue with any of those names as big in podiatry. There might be better foot and ankle studies published by other people but as for big names those are a good start. Some are for text books and others for articles. Would you laugh if some one said big names in orthopedics were Weber, Danis, Lauge, Hanson?

Myerson still publishes in the 2000's and he still practices so he is not just an old name.

Some more names are...

Shuberth and Malay

Can;t think of anymore big ones now.

What's the word on the street about the three year program at HCMC in Minneapolis? Has anybody rotated through there on this forum? I find it hard to believe that regions is a better program, as HCMC is one of a few regional centers of excellence in the midwest and sees more of the trauma in the twin cities. How are the programs in Denver? Why is the program in Greely so highly rated?

Greely is a good program with smart and caring attendings. It is going thru some transitions so it might change, but hopefully for the better. I don't want to comment too much because if I say how it was when I visited, it may be different now, and I do not know what the new changes are going to be.

The Denver program is very, I mean, very accademic. They read, read, and read some more, have to do 2-3 research projects, have radiology rounds w/ tons of pimping, journal club every monday (discuss entire journal weekly), one saturday a month conference with Texas program (Sam Mendicino) w/ case presentations and more pimping, weekly lectures by the students and residents, M&M / case presentations with the hospital residents... So they are busy all day going to surgi-centers doing cases then at night they have "activities" and have to find time to fit in reading a journal a week and putting together presentations and doing research projects. They do not do as much inpatient management as some programs - a flaw.

That does sound like a flaw. What about HCMC's program? From a podiatrist I've been shadowing, he said that it's a good program, it just had at the time a relatively low surgical volume for his taste. He was a resident at Kaiser's program in Portland, which is a very solid program.

That does sound like a flaw. What about HCMC's program? From a podiatrist I've been shadowing, he said that it's a good program, it just had at the time a relatively low surgical volume for his taste. He was a resident at Kaiser's program in Portland, which is a very solid program.

I'd rather have less inpatient care than less surgery. Some programs round 2 times a day. That is not realistic. Depending on what you are looking to do in your career, you probably won't have a career dominated by inpatient management. I do think that the amount of inpatient work matters in comparison to what those programs offer such as top 5 busiest surgical load, stringent academics which lead to 100% surgical board pass rates, and strong connections with well placed doctors.

haha, wow a lot of those names are REALLY classic..haha...

...Classic is great, but we read those to understand where we are now and respect the ppl who made strides for higher patient care standards. make sure to understand the thinking and evolution of where treatments have changed.

Well, the guy asked for top podiatrists and big names in the field. Coughlin, Myerson, Paley, Mann, etc aren't podiatrists, now are they? They're ortho F&A.

I'm beginning to really dislike the "us" (pod) and "them" (ortho) vibe with regard to literature preference. Some pods want to pretend they're an MD who did an ortho F&A fellowship, and others want to stick to "our" literature and fight ortho. To me, if you can put the egos aside, it's all useful info. At the end of the day, we are treating the same pathologies.

I realize that it's becoming increasing prevalent in modern podiatry to want to act superior to other lesser trained DPMs or dismiss classic DPM literature and texts in favor of ortho F&A material. However, I think you still have to respect where the profession came from and the guys who got us where we are today. At the end of the day, there's probably not a DPM residency director out there who hasn't read McGlamry's, Chang's, etc texts and a lot of JFAS and JAPMA articles to get himself a good body of knowledge. If they now prefer ortho textbooks, JBJS, and FAI, that's fine, but I see no reason not to also read the podiatry classics as a student. McGlamry's is still the required surgery text in most pod schools, and I would venture to say that they've trained nearly half of the "big names" in the profession.

I want to play the name game.

DPMs
Jeff Christensen
Patrick Burns
Thomas Zgonis
Shannon Rush
Vincent Mandracchia
Harvey Lamont
Warren Joseph
Al Ng
Mike Lee
Graham Hamilton
Alan Catanzariti
Jordan Grossman
Amol Sexana
Richard Bouche
Donald Green
William Grant
Robert Frykberg
Jeffrey Jensen

MDs
Sigvard T Hansen Jr (How can you forget Sig Hansen???)
Dane Wukich
Bruce Sangeorzan
Stephen Benirschke
Christopher E. Attinger
George Andros

I could go on and on but I think I'll stop there.

HCMC is a good program, but I thought that Mercy and Regions were better, more well rounded programs. There is a great deal of trauma at HCMC, but there is also an excellen ortho residency which gets the majority of it. I would rather not be double or triple scrubbed for most of my cases. Dr Bofelli at Regions is amazing and he goes out of his way to help his residents find high paying jobs in the midwest after residency. Mercy Hospital in Coon Rapids is another good program for a motivated person. If you are looking at MN residencies I would check them out first. Just my two cents though.

HCMC is a good program, but I thought that Mercy and Regions were better, more well rounded programs. There is a great deal of trauma at HCMC, but there is also an excellen ortho residency which gets the majority of it. I would rather not be double or triple scrubbed for most of my cases. Dr Bofelli at Regions is amazing and he goes out of his way to help his residents find high paying jobs in the midwest after residency. Mercy Hospital in Coon Rapids is another good program for a motivated person. If you are looking at MN residencies I would check them out first. Just my two cents though.

Yea, get your rest now Gusty! :laugh:

What is your deal?

A student wanted names in the profession to look for. It is pretty rude to laugh at others opinions. I wouldn't argue with any of those names as big in podiatry. There might be better foot and ankle studies published by other people but as for big names those are a good start. Some are for text books and others for articles. Would you laugh if some one said big names in orthopedics were Weber, Danis, Lauge, Hanson?

Myerson still publishes in the 2000's and he still practices so he is not just an old name.

Some more names are...

Shuberth and Malay

Can;t think of anymore big ones now.

whoa, my bad... the "haha" was not a mean "haha" like a simpson's character haha. It was just "grinning haha".

Nah, not laughing at Feli or anyone, but it just needed to be pointed out that what is read in school may be out of date or older. i think McGlamry's Textbook was last updated in 98', though i may be wrong. Chang has a newer book out, but it's not about being rude, just thought it was funny, what "students" consider big names compared to what residents actually read.

my bad if ppl got the wrong impression. No i wouldn't laugh at those Ortho names, but those guys are dead... i'd kinda be like "wow....", but a silent wow. Myerson is significant in the Ortho world, but is still widely cited for his work in the 80's, but again, there's been a whole lot more stuff that is recent that should be pointed out.

Shuberth, Malay, great names and great programs.

*btw, i think Lauge-Hansen is one person, "Neil Lauge-Hansen", He's european (not that there's anything wrong with that) like Essex-Lopressi (British dude)

These are especially popular pimp questions at "classic" programs. Linked is a paper on these historical eponyms for the DPM's that love to pimp externing students on, or at least from my experience in the 06's

http://radiographics.rsnajnls.org/cgi/content/full/20/3/819

I want to play the name game.

DPMs
Jeff Christensen
Patrick Burns
Thomas Zgonis
Shannon Rush
Vincent Mandracchia
Harvey Lamont
Warren Joseph
Al Ng
Mike Lee
Graham Hamilton
Alan Catanzariti
Jordan Grossman
Amol Sexana
Richard Bouche
Donald Green
William Grant
Robert Frykberg
Jeffrey Jensen

MDs
Sigvard T Hansen Jr (How can you forget Sig Hansen???)
Dane Wukich
Bruce Sangeorzan
Stephen Benirschke
Christopher E. Attinger
George Andros

I could go on and on but I think I'll stop there.

Dude.... Saltzmann, gotta make a shout-out to Iowa.

Simon, Hyer in OSU (i'm a buckeye, so i'm bias)

Lee Rogers... j/k, haha (grinning)... keep up the good work young Padawan (Rogers), won't be long until you're name will be there.

Well, the guy asked for top podiatrists and big names in the field. Coughlin, Myerson, Paley, Mann, etc aren't podiatrists, now are they? They're ortho F&A.

I'm beginning to really dislike the "us" (pod) and "them" (ortho) vibe with regard to literature preference. Some pods want to pretend they're an MD who did an ortho F&A fellowship, and others want to stick to "our" literature and fight ortho. To me, if you can put the egos aside, it's all useful info. At the end of the day, we are treating the same pathologies.

I realize that it's becoming increasing prevalent in modern podiatry to want to act superior to other lesser trained DPMs or dismiss classic DPM literature and texts in favor of ortho F&A material. However, I think you still have to respect where the profession came from and the guys who got us where we are today. At the end of the day, there's probably not a DPM residency director out there who hasn't read McGlamry's, Chang's, etc texts and a lot of JFAS and JAPMA articles to get himself a good body of knowledge. If they now prefer ortho textbooks, JBJS, and FAI, that's fine, but I see no reason not to also read the podiatry classics as a student. McGlamry's is still the required surgery text in most pod schools, and I would venture to say that they've trained nearly half of the "big names" in the profession.

Again, my bad Feli, no disrespect. Didn't realize I sounded like that.

you're right on with the last paragraph.... McGlamry's is a classic text, no question. I not trying to question it's relevance or place in history for Foot & Ankle surgery. But a lot of that info is outdated, but still a good reference to see how "WE" as in the pod medical community has evolved within the foot & ankle world. (hope I sound more like Obama than Clinton here, haha)

Oh, in Chicago some other names:

Stern, Raiken, Pinzur, Toolan, Sage, Grady,

classic names
William Todd (the Reverdin-"Todd", former Dean at Scholl, now retired), Weil Sr (Weil Metatarsal Osteotomy, $8mill practice, see http://mesh.medill.northwestern.edu/mnschicago/archives/2002/08/where_athletes.html)
Duvries (DPM, MD from CMS and Scholl if you can believe it, author of "Surgery of the Foot"), Kalikenin (sp, mr. pushup test among other things)

whoa, my bad... the "haha" was not a mean "haha" like a simpson's character haha. It was just "grinning haha".

Nah, not laughing at Feli or anyone, but it just needed to be pointed out that what is read in school may be out of date or older. i think McGlamry's Textbook was last updated in 98', though i may be wrong. Chang has a newer book out, but it's not about being rude, just thought it was funny, what "students" consider big names compared to what residents actually read.

my bad if ppl got the wrong impression. No i wouldn't laugh at those Ortho names, but those guys are dead... i'd kinda be like "wow....", but a silent wow. Myerson is significant in the Ortho world, but is still widely cited for his work in the 80's, but again, there's been a whole lot more stuff that is recent that should be pointed out.

Shuberth, Malay, great names and great programs.

*btw, i think Lauge-Hansen is one person, "Neil Lauge-Hansen", He's european (not that there's anything wrong with that) like Essex-Lopressi (British dude)

These are especially popular pimp questions at "classic" programs. Linked is a paper on these historical eponyms for the DPM's that love to pimp externing students on, or at least from my experience in the 06's

http://radiographics.rsnajnls.org/cgi/content/full/20/3/819

Bingo

Lauge-Hansen N: Fractures of the ankle: combined experimental-surgical and experimental-roentgenologic investigations. Arch Surg 1950;60(5):957-985

HCMC anyone?

Yo, sorry forgot about HCMC. Click on my link, there's a list of residents in this facebook group that are listed as officers. One of them is from HCMC. They are all my friends and fellow doctors/physicians from all over the country and in some cases, internationally (Taiwan). In any case, you'll have to PM them on Facebook, and they'll all great ppl. Not sure if they will answer anomyous emails, but that's their own preference. Oh, and you need a facebook account too (an old high school buddy started working for Facebook, so i've been a big promoter)

there's also Presby St. Luke, Advocate Masonic (Home to the Mangold Manual - it's a scholl thing), INOVA, Legacy (portland), UMNDJ, etc, etc. Most everyone is a Schollie, but some are from the Chicago Medical School, and others are some friends i've made along my journey.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2453747467

enjoy!

Question...is their any sort of residency feedback forum/database? I'm bored at work and was interested in maybe creating a database where people could post information about a residency/externship that they've done (with hopes of having information on most all of them), answering some common questions like daily routine, case-load, where to live (either for residency or housing options for externship stay), costs, etc., as well as giving their view on the program. Maybe something similar to the interview feedback forum already on SDN. Just ideas going through my head as I have been sitting at my computer since 7:30 doing nothing. Any suggestions? If its a bad idea, let me know too. Just throwing this idea out there. It may be beneficial to students as a reference instead of posting all the time. Thanks

Question...is their any sort of residency feedback forum/database? I'm bored at work and was interested in maybe creating a database where people could post information about a residency/externship that they've done (with hopes of having information on most all of them), answering some common questions like daily routine, case-load, where to live (either for residency or housing options for externship stay), costs, etc., as well as giving their view on the program. Maybe something similar to the interview feedback forum already on SDN. Just ideas going through my head as I have been sitting at my computer since 7:30 doing nothing. Any suggestions? If its a bad idea, let me know too. Just throwing this idea out there. It may be beneficial to students as a reference instead of posting all the time. Thanks

I asked if SDN would help start one. They said yes but not right now. You can look at the the other residency forums

...These are especially popular pimp questions at "classic" programs. Linked is a paper on these historical eponyms for the DPM's that love to pimp externing students on, or at least from my experience in the 06's

http://radiographics.rsnajnls.org/cgi/reprint/20/3/819
Good link:thumbup:

Here's another one I am gonna read about 6 more times before externships. It has a lot of the podiatry eponyms and original trauma classification articles summarized very well:

Perlman MD, Leveille D, Gale B. Traumatic classifications of the foot and ankle. J Foot Surg 28(6):551-85, 1989.

There's a survery the APMA has the residents of each program complete annually. It's a good source of info, but it's in each resident's own best interest to promote his/her program. Also, chances are a lot of the numbers are just estimated (or embellished)...

As far as daily routine, most good programs will provide you with a clerkship manual that does a pretty good job of detailing your duties and required background reading as a visiting student / prospective resident.

Your school should have a graduate placement ("clerkships") office with files on the residency programs, and there is also a lot of info just floating around (take most of it with a sizable grain of salt). As far as student opinions, reviews, and tips for externships, that stuff is around, but most of it is just from talking to upperclassmen. For example, my school has a great spring student Q&A panel where 4th years who have finished interviews will gather one evening to discuss their clerkships, interviews, etc for the benefit of 3rd year students (as well as 1st and 2nd who choose to attend). We also distribute a list of where everyone is going for clerkships, and this is passed on to the class below, so students are free to email or call classmates or seniors who have visited programs they might be interested in.

At TUSPM, you can go to the graduate placement office and take a look at the various TUSPM student reports on various externships. TUSPM require each student fill out a survey of his/her experience at various externships during the fourth year.

Although I have not even started school yet, I have been looking at the various residency programs and gathering an idea of which ones I would be interested in. I would eventually like to come back to CA to practice, and was wondering if it was essential that one go to a residency in the state in which they wish to practice. I do understand the whole networking aspect, but what if there was a great residency out of state that I wanted to attend? How easy would it be for me to come back and practice in a group/hospital setting?

Although I have not even started school yet, I have been looking at the various residency programs and gathering an idea of which ones I would be interested in. I would eventually like to come back to CA to practice, and was wondering if it was essential that one go to a residency in the state in which they wish to practice. I do understand the whole networking aspect, but what if there was a great residency out of state that I wanted to attend? How easy would it be for me to come back and practice in a group/hospital setting?

it's not necessary to attain a residency in the state that you want to practice in, but it does help. I would suggest that you start making the networking rounds now, so that people know who you are and get updates along the way to show that you're still interested in working with them. If you keep a tickler file in those people's minds, it'll be easier to come back and practice where you want.