Taking Step 3 before residency starts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tacoman2493

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, so I looked at the state requirements, and my state does not require me to complete any intern training before taking the test.

However the hold up is that to be eligible (in any state) you have to graduate medical school first before you can even register/apply for the test.

My graduation day is not until May 20.

Has anybody successfully applied after their graduation date and gotten a time slot before July when residency starts? that seems like a really tight timeline and I dont think its possible to register on May 20 and get a test date before July.

Has anybody been able to pull this off?

Is there any way to apply right now before I graduate and then once they verify my graduation they will send me the confirmation so I can schedule? I'm wondering if it will speed up the processing time if I try this.

Members don't see this ad.

I just went to the application and it doesnt allow a 2008 graduation date as an option to register!

This sucks, I'm doing med/peds so now this means I have to take 3 freaking board exams as an intern (ABIM, ABP). Intern year is gonna suck ass even worse than I thought. Its gonna be bad enough with just the workload, but now I gotta take 3 ballbuster board exams on top of that.

OK, so I looked at the state requirements, and my state does not require me to complete any intern training before taking the test.

However the hold up is that to be eligible (in any state) you have to graduate medical school first before you can even register/apply for the test.

My graduation day is not until May 20.

Has anybody successfully applied after their graduation date and gotten a time slot before July when residency starts? that seems like a really tight timeline and I dont think its possible to register on May 20 and get a test date before July.

Has anybody been able to pull this off?

Is there any way to apply right now before I graduate and then once they verify my graduation they will send me the confirmation so I can schedule? I'm wondering if it will speed up the processing time if I try this.

man, its impossible I tried to pull it off last year. I applied on graduation day may 18th or something. They said it takes my school like 6-8 weeks to verify my degree. I finally got my orange permit in July, almost towards the end of my first month of internship. I ended up taking the test at the very end of the 3 month window period in late october/early november.

sorry bud....it sounds like it can work but you will end up taking the test while in residency. Don't spoil your vacation. the test isn't that hard to pass.

GL

You can try but it takes a while to get the orange permit in the mail. Then you get a 3-month window to schedule the test, and often many of the dates are already taken.

Why not take it early during internship?

Members don't see this ad :)
Man I wanted to get over with Step 3 before residency too, so came to SDN to find out if I can....its disappointing...

I thought NMBE got rid of orange permits over the mails, I know for step 1 and 2 over emails. Are they still using mails for step 3 now?

Man I wanted to get over with Step 3 before residency too, so came to SDN to find out if I can....its disappointing...

I thought NMBE got rid of orange permits over the mails, I know for step 1 and 2 over emails. Are they still using mails for step 3 now?

no, they are using emails for Step 3... (took mine already) and the score report is delivered via email as well...

Are you a med student? How long did it take you to get a permit after you applied for step 3? Thanks

thanks for your response, i have the same question, are a med student now? I think you have to graduate from med school before we can even register. How long did it take you to get approval from them? i graduate may 23rd and start residecy late june, do u think its possible to take it before residency?

Are you a med student? How long did it take you to get a permit after you applied for step 3? Thanks

thanks for your response, i have the same question, are a med student now? I think you have to graduate from med school before we can even register. How long did it take you to get approval from them? i graduate may 23rd and start residecy late june, do u think its possible to take it before residency?

If these questions are directed to me... No, I already graduated...

Ratri: PM sent... I dont think you have enough time to register if you graduate May 23rd and start late June... (what is that 4 weeks?? it takes about 6 weeks just to process the application (at least in my experience))

Good luck!

This is a quote from a thread from someone else that talked about this in the past, a few years ago so I don't know if things have changed since then.

"Here is the deal. You can select ANY state when applying online for USMLE Step 3. The FSMB representative recommened California/Florida beause I will not have any post graduate training under my belt when I apply to take the examination.

You simply choose a state when applying online. However, you do NOT have to sit for the examinaton in the state you chose. You can sit for the examination in any state. It seems that selecting a state to sponsor you is just a formality. She recommended California/Florida because those two states have no additional requirements above and beyond the FSMB requirements (ie no post-graduate training requirements, no requirment to apply for licensure at the same time, etc.)

The problem arises in proving you have graduated (esp. for we US medical students who will graduate in late May) The FSMB iternally verifies graduation (that means they contact your medical school directly). Therefore it is best to check with your medical school representative and discuss how they will handle the internal verification."

Right now I'm done w/ my requirements for graduation and don't plan on taking more electives. So technically I suppose I could "graduate" now. So if the FSMB checks with my school for this internal validation I suppose my school could say that I will in fact graduate and that I'm done with the requiremnts. But I have heard some others students from other schools say that despite finishing their requirements in March their med school just does not verify that they met graduation requirements until they actually walk across the stage in May and they can't register for Step 3 despite being done w/ the schools requirements.

Additionally I have also heard that the FSMB verfies that students meet graduation requirments of their school "electronically", and I'm not sure what this means exactly. I plan on going to my med school tomorrow and trying to figure out whether the FSMB just calls the Dean and asks if I'm going to graduate or does it "electronically".

I don't know how the whole degree verification process works, but I registered for the exam online, printed the form, mailed it in and got my e-mailed permit (nothing in the mail) within a 2 week period. I registered for a June test date, but my eligibility period was through July. So....to recap, registered in mid March, permit, in late March, eligibility period through July. Maybe it was faster for me, because they could easily verify graduation (graduated in 2007)...don't know. All I know is the actual processing time is way short.

I just went to the application and it doesnt allow a 2008 graduation date as an option to register!

This sucks, I'm doing med/peds so now this means I have to take 3 freaking board exams as an intern (ABIM, ABP). Intern year is gonna suck *** even worse than I thought. Its gonna be bad enough with just the workload, but now I gotta take 3 ballbuster board exams on top of that.

Umm.....you can't take ABIM as an intern. :scared:

"To meet eligibility requirements for dual Certification, the resident must satisfactorily complete 48 months of combined education, and clinical competence in both specialties must be verified by the directors of both programs. The certifying examination cannot be taken until all required years in both specialties are satisfactorily completed."

You're only going to be taking one exam during residency - your step 3. ;)

Different scenario: What if I graduate on May 9th and start June 24th? THEN would I have enough time to do it? Also, I take Step 2 CK tomorrow, so I may be held up by those scores. Any thoughts.

Different scenario: What if I graduate on May 9th and start June 24th? THEN would I have enough time to do it? Also, I take Step 2 CK tomorrow, so I may be held up by those scores. Any thoughts.

Very doubtful. CK scores take at least 4 weeks to come back. They wont even process your application until CK and CS scores are back. Then you have to wait another few weeks just to get teh step III scheduling permit.

is it even still possible to take step 3 without doing at least 1 year of residency anymore??? from the FSMB website, it looks like all states require at least 1 year of post-grad training. or am i reading something wrong? i hope i'm wrong cuz i really wanted to take step 3 since i have a year off....:confused:

http://www.fsmb.org/usmle_eliinitial.html

is it even still possible to take step 3 without doing at least 1 year of residency anymore??? from the FSMB website, it looks like all states require at least 1 year of post-grad training. or am i reading something wrong? i hope i'm wrong cuz i really wanted to take step 3 since i have a year off....:confused:

http://www.fsmb.org/usmle_eliinitial.html

That link is the requirements for licensure. For Step 3 you only need to have an MD or DO, although individual states can impose their own stricter requirements (which are basically pointless since you can sign up under any state regardless of where you're taking it).

So, I guess now I'm resigned to the fact that there's no way I'm getting this thing over with before I start residency.

I finished my med school rotations at the end of March, then in April took both Step 2s. The same day I got the passing score back from CK (which came after CS) I applied for Step 3. I'm doing residency in California, so I applied through CA as the sponsor -it's also one of the states that does not require any amount of PG training prior to taking Step 3. The only problem was the question on the application as to what my graduation date was because at the time I was filling out the application I had not yet walked. I put down May of 2008 and sent in the signature verification page. I later that week got an email from FBME asking what my exact graduation date was. I waited until the day of the walking graduation which was the 16th, and then emailed back her back telling her it was May 16th but that I had finished the requirements for graduation back in April. I got am email from FBME on the 22nd saying my application is approved and that I'll get my scheduling permit through email within 3-5 business days. I start the 20th of June so hopefully I'll get the scheduling permit next week and try to get the exam done before the 20th.

I finished my med school rotations at the end of March, then in April took both Step 2s. The same day I got the passing score back from CK (which came after CS) I applied for Step 3. I'm doing residency in California, so I applied through CA as the sponsor -it's also one of the states that does not require any amount of PG training prior to taking Step 3. The only problem was the question on the application as to what my graduation date was because at the time I was filling out the application I had not yet walked. I put down May of 2008 and sent in the signature verification page. I later that week got an email from FBME asking what my exact graduation date was. I waited until the day of the walking graduation which was the 16th, and then emailed back her back telling her it was May 16th but that I had finished the requirements for graduation back in April. I got am email from FBME on the 22nd saying my application is approved and that I'll get my scheduling permit through email within 3-5 business days. I start the 20th of June so hopefully I'll get the scheduling permit next week and try to get the exam done before the 20th.

Dont they make your school send a form in verifying you have graduated before they let you register?

Dont they make your school send a form in verifying you have graduated before they let you register?

I don't know if it is a form or a phone call verification. The same day that I found out I passed Step 2, which was after I had completed my requirements for rotations at my school, I contated my school and told them, "Hey, I'm done with all my requirements, and I'm applying for Step 3 and the FSMB are probably going to contact you and verify that I did complete all my graduation requirements, so can you let them know that?" and they said that the med school would do that.

Hey...

Question:

I have 1 yr off before residency and want to take Step 3. I live in NJ. But from what I've read, I can still put down NY as the state I'm sitting for the exam and still take the exam in NJ?

The reason I ask is b/c NY doesn't have requirements for post-grad training...but they require an application in process and payment of fee($735) for licensure in NY in order to put NY down as the state you're sitting for when you apply for Step 3.

Can anyone clarify please? Do I have to apply for NYS licensure? Or can I just put NY down on my Step 3 application and still take it in NJ? Will the Step 3 registration be rejected if I don't apply for NY licensure first?

I DID get my sheduling permit in the mail today and there ARE spots available at my prometric center of choice between now and before the start of my residency. After some thought, however, I will probably NOT be studying for step 3 and taking it right now and instead making use of my vacation time before residency begins. :)

Hey...

Can anyone clarify please? Do I have to apply for NYS licensure? Or can I just put NY down on my Step 3 application and still take it in NJ? Will the Step 3 registration be rejected if I don't apply for NY licensure first?

You can register for the USMLE Step 3 in any state for which you meet the state-specific qualifications. Go to the FSMB website...they have this great table which tells you the requirements for every state. Then once you are approved, you can sign up to physically take the test at any Prometric center in the country.

I registered for the test under the requirements of MD because they do not require one year of residency. The cost was $670. I am a FMG, so I had to have graduated and have my ECFMG Certificate.