Which Schools do you have to collect teeth for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CoachJawbone

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
help the class of 2012 out and tell us if it would be best to start collecting teeth now. thanks!
anyone know about upenn?

Members don't see this ad.

What is this teeth collecting thing for certain schools?:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Whoever goes to UFCD will need a bunch of teeth. They already advised us to search for some:

"In Endodontics, you will need a full set of upper and lower teeth with relatively straight roots and no fillings or cavities to practice on. You will need many extra teeth to do this; generally about 15 teeth are screened before one is found that is acceptable. In Operative Dentistry you will need many different types of teeth, excluding third molars, with and without cavities and fillings."

Whoever goes to UFCD will need a bunch of teeth. They already advised us to search for some:

"In Endodontics, you will need a full set of upper and lower teeth with relatively straight roots and no fillings or cavities to practice on. You will need many extra teeth to do this; generally about 15 teeth are screened before one is found that is acceptable. In Operative Dentistry you will need many different types of teeth, excluding third molars, with and without cavities and fillings."

Real teeth or typodont?

Minnesota has also requested we start collecting teeth.

How are you supposed to find these teeth? :confused:

Just go around and ask dentist and oral surgeons. My dentist I work for reminds me everyday to go around our building (we have like 10 dentists in it) and start asking for teeth now! Just go an ask, I am sure they all understand because they were in your position once.

Most often, they can be found in their natural habitat; a warm moist cave often called "the mouth" can often contain as many as two and a half dozen or more of these unique creatures. :D

But seriously though, I'm sure that all extracted teeth are harvested and sorted so that this isn't really a huge deal.

I think i'm going to use my own teeth. I'll just get a full mouth extraction and wear dentures (or maybe implants...hmm...). The only problem is that I'm missing my upper first pre-molars...anyone want to donate theirs?

I'm going to use it as an excuse to go to UFC/Pride fights and sit front row now.

"Ah yes, this particular specimen came from Mauricio 'Shogun' Rua."

:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes.. I believe so. A friend of mine who is a first-year said you need 60 teeth (I think).

does baylor require teeth collection?

Yeah, I've already got a few jars out in a few offices. You'll need the teeth for operative and for WREB.

other classes as well but operative our first year.

hey you guys, glad this is brought up. actually the dentist i work for also told me to collect teeth for endodontic class... the only thing is, don't we need to put these teeth in fixative solution like formaline or something? any thoughts?

I believe you need to collect teeth for Nova

USC requires it

A friend of mine whose cousin use to date the brother of the secretary of the accountant who use to do the taxes for the maid of the toothfairy said he would hook me up!

------------------------------
In all seriousness alot of schools require you to bring teeth. Just phone up the school and ask, you don't want to go there last minute and start looking for teeth!!

Actually go around and ask dentists in you area, pretty much all of them are glad to help, they just end up going in the garbage anyway!!

hey you guys, glad this is brought up. actually the dentist i work for also told me to collect teeth for endodontic class... the only thing is, don't we need to put these teeth in fixative solution like formaline or something? any thoughts?

Formalin or 10:1 Water:Bleach

You need to collect teeth for schools that don't have a large patient pool. That is one way of knowing. If the school asks you to collect teeth, it means shortage.

You need to collect teeth for schools that don't have a large patient pool. That is one way of knowing. If the school asks you to collect teeth, it means shortage.

Not necessarily. It's more practice for yourself before you start working on real patients.

Honestly with all due respect, that is kind of rediculous. Unless you are in dental school already (accepted and all), then you should have to find a way to collect teeth.

no teeth required for OSU students.....all preclinic work is done on ivorine teeth in a few different typodonts.....some real teeth are used here and there, but they are provided.

The dental school in Louisana requires it...a friend of mine got in there last year...

I hope Columbia and UNC don't though...:laugh:...how are we suppose to find so many teeth?

It really isn't that hard to find teeth... it just becomes hard to find ones for endo (from what I understand). At San Antonio, you have to have certain teeth, no cavities, with good access. You may have all the teeth in world, but if you don't have good roots to practice on (from taking the x-ray) then they are of no use for endo. As far as just collecting teeth though... I dropped off a small jar at my oral surgeon's office, and he had it filled in 2 weeks... lots of wisdom teeth, but there were definitely a good number of molars and premolars, and then I got some anterior teeth from a periodontist. All in all, I had 120 teeth from 2 dentists in about a month's time.

I'm going to use it as an excuse to go to UFC/Pride fights and sit front row now.

"Ah yes, this particular specimen came from Mauricio 'Shogun' Rua."

:thumbup:

I'd like to get a hold of lesnar's or tim sylvia's after they get a good romping

UCLA you need them, and one of the student interviews recommended bringing as many as possible. He wished he had brought more. That reminds me, I need to drop off jars...

Just go around and ask dentist and oral surgeons. My dentist I work for reminds me everyday to go around our building (we have like 10 dentists in it) and start asking for teeth now! Just go an ask, I am sure they all understand because they were in your position once.

uh, hi, is that a picture of your own ass that ur using as an avatar??

If only I got a nickel every time a thread topic changed to discussing what exactly CaliGirl15’s avatar is. By now, I’d be halfway done paying off dental school. :D

The funny thing is you could probably now search that and get some good results.

Formalin or 10:1 Water:Bleach

so we're supposed to start setting up jars of teeth around our house already? isn't 6 months a bit of time? When do most people start "collecting" march/may?

do you HAVE to keep them in a jar full of the mixutre or will they decompose fast if you just keep them in a ziplox or something for the next few months?

so we're supposed to start setting up jars of teeth around our house already? isn't 6 months a bit of time? When do most people start "collecting" march/may?

do you HAVE to keep them in a jar full of the mixutre or will they decompose fast if you just keep them in a ziplox or something for the next few months?
You need to collect a LOT of teeth (depending on where you're going of course), so you should start early. The teeth won't decompose, but I have heard from several sources that storing them for long periods of time in bleach-water can dry them out and make them brittle.
Personally, I will collect/store them in glycerine and rinse them with bleach/water to kill off the bacteria.

If only I got a nickel every time a thread topic changed to discussing what exactly CaliGirl15’s avatar is. By now, I’d be halfway done paying off dental school. :D

The funny thing is you could probably now search that and get some good results.
I personally think I should get that nickel for having to answer the question. But I would use some of the money to support the cooking I love to do and would gladly share the food with everyone (cookies anyone?)!
I am curious now what a search would yield!

I personally think I should get that nickel for having to answer the question. But I would use some of the money to support the cooking I love to do and would gladly share the food with everyone (cookies anyone?)!

Hello caligirl. I like chocolate chip coooooookies. You can send them to me in colorado. Nice cooler + dry ice (i like cold cookies) + cookies = yummie

I'll order a roast. PM me for my address :)

I'll order a roast. PM me for my address :)
I think I should just save my money...instead of going to dental school open up a mail order cooking business, sending out homemade meals at cheap prices to students. Actually, I'm just going to do that on top of going to dental school.
P.S. I am in the process of writing my own cookbook, so in a few years I want you all to buy a copy from me!

Hello caligirl. I like chocolate chip coooooookies. You can send them to me in colorado. Nice cooler + dry ice (i like cold cookies) + cookies = yummie

screw the dry ice, if you are in Colorado then put them outside for like 5 mins.

Last edited: