Are there any current Colorado students out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caffeinehigh

Dentist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently accepted to the University of Colorado and was wondering if there are any students out there who can answer a few questions. I am for sure looking forward to attending, but still would love some background info.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I was recently accepted to the University of Colorado and was wondering if there are any students out there who can answer a few questions. I am for sure looking forward to attending, but still would love some background info.

Thanks in advance!

hey congrats... you must be from arizona or utah. Im from colorado but am going to temple. (Did not get accepted to colo). Let me know your questions, hopefully i can answer them. However i do live about 30-40 mins from the school (w/ no traffic) so if its housing specific to Aurora i would not know that much. Living by the lite rail would be sweet though, makes it easy getting to downtown. With traffic i think it would take me between 1-1.5 hours. anyways PM me or just ask me here. And get the copper winter park ski pass. 2 for 1 if your a student and open a wells fargo account.

you can buy my house. 10 min drive.
i am graduating and moving to boston. crappy time to sell for me, super deal for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
dont get the copper pass, get the colorado pass.

hey congrats... you must be from arizona or utah. Im from colorado but am going to temple. (Did not get accepted to colo). Let me know your questions, hopefully i can answer them. However i do live about 30-40 mins from the school (w/ no traffic) so if its housing specific to Aurora i would not know that much. Living by the lite rail would be sweet though, makes it easy getting to downtown. With traffic i think it would take me between 1-1.5 hours. anyways PM me or just ask me here. And get the copper winter park ski pass. 2 for 1 if your a student and open a wells fargo account.
Why do you assume he is from AZ or UT?

there have traditionally been a ton of students from AZ, (me included) because of WICHE. Not so anymore. demographics of the school have changed.

you can buy my house. 10 min drive.
i am graduating and moving to boston. crappy time to sell for me, super deal for you.
If that naked guy has been living in the house I'm not interested...What has changed about the demographics by the way if you don't mind me asking?

i'm definitely not that fat.

a lot has changed here.
As I said before, the school has always taken a lot of WICHE students, which are predominantly from AZ, NM, or surrounding states, and a lot of the students are mormon. They did this because they were able to make more money, because they can charge out of state tuition all four years. The non wiche students who are non residents were able change their residency status to get in state tuition after the first year. They changed it to now if you start with out of state tuition, you pay out of state all four years. So, they don't have to accept a lot of WICHE students to make money. I don't know if they have completely stopped accepting WICHE students, or just drastically reduced the number. In my class, and prior classes there have been around 15 or so WICHE students, mostly mormon. In the first year class there are only 3 or 4 mormon wiche students
That is pretty much how things have changed.

Hey, I go to colorado and have lived in the state for five years. Will be attending CU dental with ya in the fall. Let me know any questions you have, Im very familure with the campus and area as I do research there.

I am a Colorado resident, but have gone to undergrad out of state and will be returning for Dental School.

I basically am looking for some basic information about the school from the Student Perspective. There was a thread on here that was about 25 questions or so that people were trying to get answered from each school and nobody from Colorado responded. Can somebody please do that here?

Also, I am considering buying a loft somewhere downtown or in Stapleton... Any insight about this from current students?

Standard Format:

1) Name of Your Dental School

2) What is your examination schedule like? Block Schedule (midterms and finals week) or several every week?

3) What is the hardest class? Why?

4) What is the easiest class? Why?

5) Are your classmates generally gunners and try to sabatoge each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out?

6) Are the class notes based primarily on textbooks? or based on lecture powerpoints made up by professors?

7) Are there any classes taken with medical students? If so, which ones?

8) What is the grading system? Pass/Fail/Honors? Letter Grades? Percentages?

9) Is there a notetaking service for lecture available?

10) Is class attendance mandatory?

11) In general, are teachers approachable for questions? Or are they for the most part very busy and unreachable (research, etc...)?

12) Is there a big brother/big sister program that pairs you with an upperclassman or professor who "mentors" you?

13) What is the % first time board pass rate? What is the average score?

14) When do you take the NDBE? 1st year or second year?

15) Do you get a block of time off before boards to study? If so, how long? If not, do you have to study simultaneously with classes?

16) Do most people study in the University Library? Or does the place clear out right after school and everybody studies on their own?

17) Are patients readily available to fulfill clinical requirements or do you have to do a lot of work to get them in?

18) Is it a hassle to get a chair once you get patients in? In your opinion, does your school have enough chairs?

19) What are the clinical requirements to graduate? (number of crowns, fillings, etc...) Is it reasonably attainable or pretty difficult?

20) Are there opportunities for different off-site dental clinic rotations? If so, what are they?

21) Are there opportunites for outreach trips to underserved areas or countries? If so, what are they and for how long?

22) Is there sufficent preparation for practice management? What career placement opportunites does your school offer?

23) What is the dress code at your school? Scrubs? For what years?

Please feel free to add any other potentially helpful information about your dental school below! Multiple posts about each school are definitely appreciated if there is something new you feel is worth adding!

Sorry dont have the answer as I will be attending the dental school in the fall. Ill see if I can find out as I work at fitz. But it would be great if a current student would answer the questions posted.

Standard Format:

1) Name of Your Dental School

2) What is your examination schedule like? Block Schedule (midterms and finals week) or several every week?

3) What is the hardest class? Why?

4) What is the easiest class? Why?

5) Are your classmates generally gunners and try to sabatoge each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out?

6) Are the class notes based primarily on textbooks? or based on lecture powerpoints made up by professors?

7) Are there any classes taken with medical students? If so, which ones?

8) What is the grading system? Pass/Fail/Honors? Letter Grades? Percentages?

9) Is there a notetaking service for lecture available?

10) Is class attendance mandatory?

11) In general, are teachers approachable for questions? Or are they for the most part very busy and unreachable (research, etc...)?

12) Is there a big brother/big sister program that pairs you with an upperclassman or professor who "mentors" you?

13) What is the % first time board pass rate? What is the average score?

14) When do you take the NDBE? 1st year or second year?

15) Do you get a block of time off before boards to study? If so, how long? If not, do you have to study simultaneously with classes?

16) Do most people study in the University Library? Or does the place clear out right after school and everybody studies on their own?

17) Are patients readily available to fulfill clinical requirements or do you have to do a lot of work to get them in?

18) Is it a hassle to get a chair once you get patients in? In your opinion, does your school have enough chairs?

19) What are the clinical requirements to graduate? (number of crowns, fillings, etc...) Is it reasonably attainable or pretty difficult?

20) Are there opportunities for different off-site dental clinic rotations? If so, what are they?

21) Are there opportunites for outreach trips to underserved areas or countries? If so, what are they and for how long?

22) Is there sufficent preparation for practice management? What career placement opportunites does your school offer?

23) What is the dress code at your school? Scrubs? For what years?

Please feel free to add any other potentially helpful information about your dental school below! Multiple posts about each school are definitely appreciated if there is something new you feel is worth adding!

Crap load of questions.

1. colorado
2. tests all the time
3. microbiology, it's so boring
4. there were lots
5. my class, not so many gunners. but in the year behind me, yes
6. mainly powerpoints, but they like you to read
7. i think when i took physiology, we were with some other students, not sure if they were medical. we had to do an ethics class with everybody. that was some funny stuff.
8. letter grades
9. no
10. no
11. yes
12. yes
13. ?
14. after first year
15. i don't remember
16. we have moved campuses so there are places for people to study now, back when i studied, there really wasn't anywhere but the library.
17. yes and no
18. chairs aren't the problem, having enough faculty can be sometimes
19. attainable, nothing too extreme
20. we do rotations the second semester of fourth year for 12 weeks.
21. yes, but not affiliated with the school
22. somewhat
23. scrubs, they say no jeans, but everybody in my class wears jeans when not in clinic, i guess there is one perk to being a senior

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply so fast.... I have one more question. Can you elaborate on the computer requirements for incoming students? I remember them saying that you have to purchase a mac from them with your books loaded on it. Thanks

Also can you expand on the clinical experience. Is there a lack of chairs or patients. Are you fighting over the chairs w/ other students.? Do the international students that come in complicate this?

Why do you assume he is from AZ or UT?

when i interviewed there, most kids were from AZ or UT. Just figured those were major states kids got in from. I dont think too many kids outside of whiche get accepted.

when i interviewed there, most kids were from AZ or UT. Just figured those were major states kids got in from. I dont think too many kids outside of whiche get accepted.
Yea there were like 20 kids there from byu when I interviewed

Thanks for the reply so fast.... I have one more question. Can you elaborate on the computer requirements for incoming students? I remember them saying that you have to purchase a mac from them with your books loaded on it. Thanks

you buy a mac laptop. the best investment you will ever make. but to name all the reasons macs are better than pc's, well, we won't go there tonight. anyways, yes, you buy a laptop, and yes, we use vitalsource. you have to pay a buttload of money every year for a bunch of books you don't ever use. even as a senior, we have to fork out $1200 for books that we haven't even used since second year. Yes, i am bitter about vitalsource. i would rather have spent the $4500 on a bunch of other books that i can actually keep, or sell back if i wanted.

Also can you expand on the clinical experience. Is there a lack of chairs or patients. Are you fighting over the chairs w/ other students.? Do the international students that come in complicate this?

sometimes there is a lack of chairs. not to the extent of never getting any, but it can be frustrating at times. other times, its not so bad that there aren't any chairs available. for example, tomorrow, there are no chairs open. but rather than complain, i am going to go skiing with my wife.
there are gunners usually in each class that book patients a month in advance, but for the most part, not too bad.
the international students don't really take away chairs because they are on the other side of the clinic with their own faculty that are assigned specifically to intern. students.

Well yea you can buy doncorleone house that would be the best deal for ya....

the first years got the white macbooks, not sure how much memory. we got powerbooks.

hey doncorleone, i just got accepted to colorado also and right nowit is number 1. I read the responses that you wrote, but is there anyway to call you for some more questions?

keep it number one, and like i said before, buy my house.

Hey do the dental students there like to go out to bars and hang out when they arnt studying?? Or are alot of them just bookworms? Obviously u have to study alot.... basically...

I like to work hard and play hard, just wondernig if there are others like me there.

Also do you know how many colorado 4th years got into the colorado ortho residency?

If you go to colorado I will party with ya.

depends on if they know how to spell "aren't". i guess you will be hitting the books a lot my friend. just giving you a hard time.
it is a good combo. we study when we need to, and they like to party as well. i have never been into that scene, but there are a lot who are.
of the three people who applied to ortho this year in my class, all got in. one to memphis, and the other two to the program here.

A few more questions...

1) Are you happy you chose Colorado
2) what do you like most about the school
3) what do you like least
4) What do you like most about denver
5) what do you like least
6) If we choose to come to colorado, any advice?
7) Would you say that most of your fellow dental students are happy at colorado?

1. yes i am happy at colorado.
2. the facilities are probably the best part of the school.
3. the things i like least about the school are probably things that all dental schools suck at, it just takes about ten times longer to get anything done.
4. skiing is sweet
5. weather can be crazy
6. what is this that i have been doing this past week
7. yes, i think so