Pharmacy School vs. Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxofjoy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what your opinions were on the profession of Pharmacy vs. Dentistry. Recently I have been contemplating the two. I have a degree in Biology and have wanted to become a pharmacist since I was a Jr. in High School. Recently I have been a bit nervous about pharmacy. It seems as if you can only make money starting out my doing retail. I have been reading horror stories about retail and I have a family to take care of, so I don't have a lot of time to do residencies to put me into the other fields of pharmacy.

Dentistry allows you to work hands on with patients and doesn't SEEM to be as stressful as retail pharmacy. I am so confused. What do you guys think about these professions and what they have to offer someone with children in the years to come?

Members don't see this ad.

both careers are great, but if you can handle dentristy...I say go for it! we need more good dentists out there, I have never came into contact with a dentist I liked. (Most are in a rush and try to get money out of you)

...when i was little, dentists were sooo nice!! what happened???

Money aside, it really depends on what career choice interests you most..

Members don't see this ad :)
haha, I'm the opposite. Since I was in high school, I wanted to be a dentist. Even when my sister was going to pharmacy school, I wanted to be a dentist. Last year I woke up and realized that I don't really want to be a dentist. I don't want to deal with the owning your own small business aspect. I mean, yeah, you can go into practice with other people, but still.

Whereas in pharmacy you can have your own independent pharmacy if you don't want a boss, or you can just go to work for a chain retailer, or a hospital type organization.

As for horror stories of retail, I've talked to a lot of pharmacist, and most people either love or hate retail. Yes, they give the largest paychecks, but hospitals aren't going to send you to the poor house by any means. And there are horror stories associated with every job. I mean, Dentists have the highest suicide rate of any occupation. So, if that isn't a horror story, I don't know what is.

As for family time, Retail pharmacy I think gives you the best opportunities to spend time with your family. I know someone who got their schedule arrangements in their contract, although they didn't get quite as much as they could have, they still signed for 6 figs.

It really comes down to which carreer you think you would enjoy more. You can work in a hospital (or similar environment) without having done a residency.

Plus, don't forget that there are a lot more career opportunities for pharmacists. But if you are comparing only retail or hospital, then check out this link and scroll down to the bottom:

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos079.htm

Although retail makes the most, hospital pharmacists still average around $94,000.

Thanks guys for all of your encouraging words!

or you can just go to work for a chain retailer, or a hospital type organization.

A lot of dentists choose to work in a corporate setting as well.

Dentists have the highest suicide rate of any occupation. So, if that isn't a horror story, I don't know what is.

The suicide rate for dentists is actually lower than average for all occupations. The 'highest suicide rate' myth perpetuated by other resentful professionals has no statistical merit.

As a dentist, you can make twice the amount of money ($180k private GP average) with the same amount of schooling. That's how I roll. :cool:

i've contemplated dentistry due to its monetary benefits, but i realized I'm just not fit for dentistry. I'm not very good with mechanics. I think dentistry is fit for those who like to work in machine shops and like biology. I'm not interested in dealing with people's mouths and the smell of drilled decayed cavities is a major turn off ( i have sensitive nose). There are bigger reasons as well, but its too complicated to explain here. Bottom line I just don't think I will happy as a dentist after some research. And I find it funny how people think they can build a private dentistry right out of school. Very few have the business knowledge to do that and succeed which is why most work under someone before being their own boss.

i've contemplated dentistry due to its monetary benefits, but i realized I'm just not fit for dentistry. I'm not very good with mechanics. I think dentistry is fit for those who like to work in machine shops and like biology. I'm not interested in dealing with people's mouths and the smell of drilled decayed cavities is a major turn off ( i have sensitive nose). There are bigger reasons as well, but its too complicated to explain here. Bottom line I just don't think I will happy as a dentist after some research. And I find it funny how people think they can build a private dentistry right out of school. Very few have the business knowledge to do that and succeed which is why most work under someone before being their own boss.

I agree! Also, I hate the sound when they turn on the drill, it is a major turn off.... I had all 4 wisdom teeth out back in the spring and I don't think I would like to drill all 4 and then take them out with my own hands.... and then sew it up....

And I find it funny how people think they can build a private dentistry right out of school. Very few have the business knowledge to do that and succeed which is why most work under someone before being their own boss.

That is true, however, the salary quoted before is that of a private practicing dentist - or in other words, one who does not work in a hospital based or public health care setting. It is not restricted to those who own their own practice (the average salary of which is even higher).