M.D./D.O. Grad and OMFS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SomeDoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My apologies in advance if this is not the place to post this. Curious medical student here, who heard that there are programs that accept MD/DO grads into combined DDS/OMFS programs. How does this work? How many extra years of schooling would be involved prior to OMFS residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Not really sure, Dr. Millisvert posted this, and IM not sure he checks this tread. He asked the question on the allopathic forum so you can ask him there, or I know he is also on the dental residency forum alot.

My apologies in advance if this is not the place to post this. Curious medical student here, who heard that there are programs that accept MD/DO grads into combined DDS/OMFS programs. How does this work? How many extra years of schooling would be involved prior to OMFS residency?

It is much more common for this to happen in the UK than the US. However, there are a small handful of US programs that will consider medical graduates for a combined dental degree and OMFS residency.

The length of training will depend on the program you apply to. It will range from 6-8 years long. (mostly dependant on how much advance standing for dental school and cross credit they give you).

Some people I might suggest contacting are the following:

Brett Ward DDS, MD, FACS at Michigan

Robert Ord, MB, BDS, FACS, FRCS at Maryland

Peter D. Waite, MPH, DDS, MD at UAB

Larry L. Cunningham, Jr., DDS, MD at Kentucky

George Kushner, DMD, MD at Louisville

Vincent Carrao MD, DDS at Columbia

Uwe Frohberg, MD, DMD at Baylor

Alexander E. Pazoki, D.D.S., M.D. at LSU

(if anyone else knows of omfs faculty supportive of this pathway feel free to list them and/or correct my list)

Let us know what you find out. Good luck!