NYU Waitlists

Started by rms435
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rms435

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know how NYU notifies people who are waitlisted? Would I have gotten an email today like the rest of the acceptances? I am thinking about sending a LOI if I am waitlisted (and not rejected), but I don't want to waste my time writing it if I'm definitely getting a rejection in the mail. Thanks!
 
same question.... would've loved that email.. sighs.
and does anyone have tips on how to write LOI???

THank you so much!
 
As of this morning when I called, they said they sent the email for acceptances and the rest of the decision are sent by mail.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Meaning they put both WL and rejections in the mail today? Hmm so that's a few days, blah...

As for LOI suggestions, just update them on anything you might have done since the interview and write a paragraph on what makes you want them and one on why they should want you. That's been my formula.
 
I got my letter in the mail today. Waitlist. Should I sent a Letter of Intent by email or regular mail to them?
 
Do both, that way you can ensure they have it on some form or another. Good luck. I'm not sure if I'll be holding onto my acceptance, but if not I hope it goes to you.
 
would letter of intent be sent along with the letter to remain on teh waitlist?? do you write it as one letter or separate them????
 
also, would it be overdoing it to send anotehr LOR?? i feel like too much could work against u...

Thanks!
 
waitlisted here too :-(

they sent the letter to my parent's house in new york city, and it was postmarked Mar 01 but only arrived today, strange??
 
I think I'm going to turn down the waitlist. I have a feeling I'll be on many more waitlists before the end of this month. Good luck to you guys!
 
how are you guys responding to remain on the wailist? letter via snail mail? email?
 
Waitlisted also. Does anyone have an idea of how many are kept on the waitlist? Did anyone who interviewed get rejected?
 
Also waitlisted. Do we have to send a snailmail letter to withdraw?
 
Hey LEdaddy,

Would you wanna trade me your Mt Sinai acceptance for my NYU acceptance? (this process is incredibly arbritrary by the way b/c I never ended up hearing from mt sinai)

Also waitlisted. Do we have to send a snailmail letter to withdraw?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
that was an incredibly nice wait-list letter. Due to your extensive academic achievments...you have been waitlisted
 
i snail mailed mine just because they snail mailed the letter to me... i think if they had written me an email or gave an email address, i woudl've emailed. but since they only gave u an address... snail mail????

does anyone know how the waitlist movements were last year?
and also.. did anyoen get rejected??
 
did u guys also elaborate on how much u love nyu in your return letter? i am not sure how much love to pour into the letter that tells them u want to stay on the waitlist?
 
Oh, how I loved NYU.

Too bad they waitlisted me.

I guess it makes my decision a little easier.

Good bye, New York City.
 
I just wrote a short letter sayign i want to remain on the wiat list.. i'll probably send a LOI sometime soon.. ijust couldn't write a jaw dropping essay that fast... lolz
 
I have yet to receive a letter and I live relatively close to NYC. Does anyone think the rejections were sent out separately?
 
I just got my letter in the mail today. Waitlist. It is postmarked March 1st, sure took a long time to get here.

Anyone know if NYU only accepted enough people to fill the spots in the class or if they over-accept knowing some people will not go there?
 
WL as well. Sounds like everyone who wasn't accepted got on the waitlist. Has anyone called to get any info on the wl (how big is it, is it ranked etc.)?
 
and also.. did anyoen get rejected??

There are a couple people who posted NYU rejections in the Official Rejection Thread.

It would be good to know if the waitlist is ranked and whether a letter of intent would make any difference. Anyone speak with the office yet?
 
Does anyone know if you can defer for a year if you get in off the WL? (I got all waitlists and have thus accepted a job for next year and will re-apply if I can't get in off a waitlist and defer)...
 
Is there a NYU waitlist thread from last year? I can't seem to find anything.
 
WL as well. Sounds like everyone who wasn't accepted got on the waitlist. Has anyone called to get any info on the wl (how big is it, is it ranked etc.)?

The addmissions office said 300 were accepted, and 300 waitlisted...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm an MSII. My class has 163.

I got a copy of our match list. But as it has the names of students etc I don't want to post the pdf file. If, however, anyone has questions about our match list, send me a PM. I'd be happy to answer them.

Some quick stats: (These are by my counts quickly scanning the match list, it's possible my count isn't perfect)
Dermatology - 5
Ortho - 5
Ophtho - 5
ENT - 4
NSGY - 1
Plastics - 1

Edit: Had a request about rads. 9 matched into diagnostic rads.
 
Looks great Dakota. Thanks for posting the list.

Also, as a current student, what do you think the chances are of getting off the waitlist given that there are 300 acceptances with 300 on the WL??
 
Looks great Dakota. Thanks for posting the list.

Also, as a current student, what do you think the chances are of getting off the waitlist given that there are 300 acceptances with 300 on the WL??

USNews.com says NYU accepted 467 students for Fall 2005.
 
i highly doubt that they've only accepted 300 people, that means they'll accept another 160ish off the waitlist (which is unheard of)

Coupled with the fact that the class size is only around 160ish, juelz's info looks suspect.
 
To be honest I don't know exact waitlist numbers. I can say that there were a lot of students I met at second look my year (therefore they were accepted students) who decided to go elsewhere. I also know a number of people in my class who got in off the waitlist, and I'm sure there are many more I don't know about. I get the impression that there is a fair amount of waitlist movement here so if you're still interested then don't lose hope.

When I interviewed in Fall 2005 they told us they interviewed 900 students and that 50% (or 450 if you like) would ultimately be accepted, either outright or off the waitlist.
 
Can anyone give a rundown on how to handle this waitlist? Should I be writing letters every month or requesting a second interview or anything? I know 2nd interviews sometimes can work at schools, but most won't consider it. ANY ADVICE on how to get off of this WL?

-Rob

I'm new to this whole thing and I see people doing this so I guess I should:

columbia: WL
Cornell: WL
NYU: WL
BU: ?
AECOM: ?
Wayne State: accepted in Nov....don't want to go.
MSU: ?

I'm living proof right now not to stretch yourself too thin with great schools and only leave a few (sub-par) backups. But I'm keeping a positive attitude! Cmon NYC or Boston!
 
i highly doubt that they've only accepted 300 people, that means they'll accept another 160ish off the waitlist (which is unheard of)

The addmissions office told me that they have accepted over 100 off the wait list in previous years...and they def told me that 300 were accepted. You can double check if you like.
 
Can anyone give a rundown on how to handle this waitlist? Should I be writing letters every month or requesting a second interview or anything? I know 2nd interviews sometimes can work at schools, but most won't consider it. ANY ADVICE on how to get off of this WL?

-Rob

I'm new to this whole thing and I see people doing this so I guess I should:

columbia: WL
Cornell: WL
NYU: WL
BU: ?
AECOM: ?
Wayne State: accepted in Nov....don't want to go.
MSU: ?

I'm living proof right now not to stretch yourself too thin with great schools and only leave a few (sub-par) backups. But I'm keeping a positive attitude! Cmon NYC or Boston!


I'm sort of in the same boat as you, and I'm also not sure if I should be writing every month, or if one time is enough...
My suggestion is to write one letter of intent to your top school, and write one letter of interest to other schools. Maybe in June you can update them again, but I'm not sure that the office likes reading 5-6 letters of interest.

I am not sure if I am right about this, so if anyone reads this and doesn't agree let me know!
 
I suspect most movement will occur after May 15th or at least after they start giving out financial aid packages, which they have not done yet.
 
i called the office a few days ago and they said that they dont take anyone off the waitlist until after may 15th and when they do, they rereview every candidate on the WL and decide then.
 
just got off the waitlist today, may 14. i have to make a decision quick!!! NYU or Sinai???
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
thanks. it was a short message sent over email saying that the official letter is mailed to the permanent address.
 
thanks. it was a short message sent over email saying that the official letter is mailed to the permanent address.

did you send them any updates or anything? i don't have much to update, and i already sent them 2 letters of interest. maybe i should send a letter of intent?
 
I also got an email acceptance off the waitlist yesterday morning (5/13), but withdrew today since I got into UMass a few weeks ago - trying to keep the turnover going. But the waitlist is starting to move, so hopefully that means good news soon for everyone. When I accepted the waitlist position, I included an update letter, and my PI sent a short update letter about a month later in April.

Good Luck Everyone!
 
I just got an acceptance this morning (5/15) via email.