Supplemental loans? (Above and beyond COA budget)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MJB

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the best places to look for these private loans? We are interested in getting one for a one time deal if at all possible.

Any help appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know the best places to look for these private loans? We are interested in getting one for a one time deal if at all possible.

Any help appreciated.

T.H.E.

northstar.org

myrichuncle is where i got mine. I really like them, and it is much better than the BOA maximizer, in my opinion, in regards to terms.

Members don't see this ad :)
T.H.E.

northstar.org

T.H.E. does NOT offer private loans that will not cost against your COA. If you want to utilize their private loans, your school will have to agree to increase your COA.

Try Wells Fargo MedCap.

T.H.E. does NOT offer private loans that will not cost against your COA. If you want to utilize their private loans, your school will have to agree to increase your COA.

Try Wells Fargo MedCap.

Very true.

Let us know your experiences with Wells Fargo. We can always use more lender data. :)

Try Wells Fargo MedCap.

The residency & relocation loan always exceeds the COA.

The residency & relocation loan always exceeds the COA.

Unfortunately, the op is a first year medical student, so he wouldn't qualify for those. Normally when someone asks about loans that exceed the COA, they're not 4th year students who do have (relatively) easy access to other loan sources.

Yes, they do, but they don't offer any loan programs aside from maybe residency/relocation loans that allow people to borrow beyond the COA.

Then explain this:

"The T.H.E. Private Loan is designed to complement federal loan programs for those who require additional resources beyond the federal loan limits."

I think that's talking about the maximum lifetime federal loan limit and not the COA. I may be wrong.

I think you're right. Their website is a little less than clear right now because they're obviously going through some major changes, but they're never offered loans that let you borrow above the COA before, and I'm not seeing them branching into that area right now in this market.

I think that's talking about the maximum lifetime federal loan limit and not the COA. I may be wrong.

I can assure you that's exactly what it is referring to. I'm not speaking out my ***...I tried to use T.H.E.'s private loans for additional money beyond my COA. I'm a 2nd year, and I've used them for all of my other loans, so I just wanted to keep things convenient and with one source.

T.H.E.'s private loan option (not residency/relocation loan) is just another alternative to the Grad Plus. It will not cover money beyond your school's COA, unless the school approves an increase for you.

Any loan described as cost of education minus financial aid and/or must be certified it CANNOT be used over the COA.