2 tests at once?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agranulocytosis

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To really try to stimulate the test-day environment I'm thinking of doing 2 runs of 2 tests at a time. I have 3 NBME's left and the UW assessment so it would work out to be two NBME's one day and one NBME and UW assessment the other day. I am thinking of doing these at 2 weeks out and 1 week out. Does anyone with experience with the USMLE think this is wise? Should I just save the effort and money because I'll be running on adrenaline all day or is it good practice for my body?

Members don't see this ad.

To really try to stimulate the test-day environment I'm thinking of doing 2 runs of 2 tests at a time. I have 3 NBME's left and the UW assessment so it would work out to be two NBME's one day and one NBME and UW assessment the other day. I am thinking of doing these at 2 weeks out and 1 week out. Does anyone with experience with the USMLE think this is wise? Should I just save the effort and money because I'll be running on adrenaline all day or is it good practice for my body?

I have heard this is a good idea from friends who have taken the test because it teaches you when you really need to use your breaks.

I don't think I'm going to do it because I equate it to marathon training. Don't run the 26.2 until the day of the race. I may change my mind (especially if we get some good responses here), but right now I'm not going to do nbme's x 2.

I have heard this is a good idea from friends who have taken the test because it teaches you when you really need to use your breaks.

I don't think I'm going to do it because I equate it to marathon training. Don't run the 26.2 until the day of the race. I may change my mind (especially if we get some good responses here), but right now I'm not going to do nbme's x 2.

Yeah I hear you. I don't want to fatigue myself mentally, but at the same time I want to know what it feels like to be on the top of my game for 8 hours. I wish we were able to practice freely at prometric sites instead of just being given the 150 free question set, but that's another issue.

I'm gonna run this with 3 and 6 a week or so before the test - get a feel for the day (the best part of taking TPR for MCAT was to get used to the test day) and ID my weak spots for final review. It may be hell, but it should be useful.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm gonna run this with 3 and 6 a week or so before the test - get a feel for the day (the best part of taking TPR for MCAT was to get used to the test day) and ID my weak spots for final review. It may be hell, but it should be useful.

Bah

I was messing with him. We have been friends since high school. And we've discussed this topic before...

If you're feeling guilty for being called out on SDN, you can drive up to St. Louis for the marathon...

And I just realized that your analogy sucks. The real thing is 7 blocks... taking 2 NBME's is 8. So it's like running a 29.94 in prep for the marathon. Which you and Mrs. Goose could do with no problem, as long as you had the beasts for motivation, right?

If you're feeling guilty for being called out on SDN, you can drive up to St. Louis for the marathon...

And I just realized that your analogy sucks. The real thing is 7 blocks... taking 2 NBME's is 8. So it's like running a 29.94 in prep for the marathon. Which you and Mrs. Goose could do with no problem, as long as you had the beasts for motivation, right?

I would need your beast for that. My beasts' legs are too short.

I'm with Goose on this one. Don't like to run a marathon before a marathon. But I will go to the prometric center and do the 150Q to familiarize myself with the environment.

I'm just concerned about hitting the wall at about 1 or 2 pm when GABA starts kicking in....:sleep:.

I think that if it will make you feel more comfortable and less stressed out with the test, you should do it.

However, a) don't burn yourself out by doing it and b) if there's something more important nagging at you, do that first before you spend a whole day doing two tests in a row, especially if you're just doing it to simulate test day.

Honestly, I don't think there's much you can do to really, truly simulate the experience that you're going to have on test day. You'll be running on adrenaline, it'll seem to go much faster than your practice sessions, and you'll feel like you have much less control of the situation than you do in practice runs.

Make sure that you are comfortable with the question format, make sure that you feel comfortable with the material, and have confidence in yourself. The timing and stamina is not the biggest of issues.