Sep 13, 08 test date...With this should I wait or just put some apps out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

erl1982

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to all,

Just need some insight on some things.

If giving these stats and trying to apply to D.O schools what do you think?

25 yrs old,Single parent of a 5 yr old, first generation grad, eco dis.

Undergrad sci and overall 2.5 (B.S. Biology Minor Chemistry):(
Graduate overall 4.0 (Master Public Health);)
MCAT hopeful of 30 +
Kaplan prep class 6/08-8/08
Missouri resident (parents and born ) Texas resident (for 2 years)

Volunteering includes:
Arkansas Children Hospital
Children Medical Center of Dallas
Science Mentor
Planned Parenthood of Kansas City

Work includes:
High School Chemistry Teacher
Medical Technologist
Research Assistant
Radiology Assistant

What do you recommend? :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

E-mail a few schools and ask, but it is likely that you're going to need to increase the undergrad and science gpa. Unfortunately, grad school performance doesn't seem to mean much to most of these places.

I agree with TT; unfortunately you need some more bake time. An MPH is a solid extra-curricular, but it does not demonstrate the rigor in hard science that predicts success in med school. So the 4.0 doesn't cancel out the 2.5.

A 30+ on the MCAT also will not cancel out the 2.5. That said, scoring 30+ would help your case considerably. Don't take the test until your practice tests are over 30 (www.e-mcat.com, first one is free).

I suggest that you look into one of the more than 30 SMPs (special masters programs). SDN has an entire forum on these. These are specifically designed to improve your credentials for applying to med school, unlike regular graduate study. A number of DO schools have SMPs, as well as MD and unaffiliated schools.

Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is that GPA including any re-takes? I agree with the above posters. If I were you I'd take another year to re-take several classes that you got a C or below in to substantially increase your GPA's. If you can get it over 3.0 you should be solid with your MCAT and MPH!

I say go to a community college, re-take any pre-requisites you did poorly on (and get A's), turn in a solid MCAT, and apply everywhere. You're about a year away. I wouldn't apply this year. Especially with your MCAT that late.

Thanks for the insight!!!

The GPA is a problem because the GPA cutoffs for schools are between 2.7-3.0. You'll have to take some UG courses to boost the GPA.

OP, ditto with the above. Waiting another year to retake 2 semesters worth of classes, and rockin the MCAT will give a huge boost to your app. Remember AACOMAS replaces grades, which will help you out a lot.

Good luck to you especially with your little one! Several of us on here have little people depending on us, so don't lose heart. Just kick but in your classes, ride or die baby.
bike.gif