Totally miserable, need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pioneer Village

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I took NBME 3 a week ago and got a 230. Studied my groin off for 6 days and pulled a 228 today on NBME 4. I've been through first aid once, most of Goljan, and 45% of USMLEworld.

This all sucks because for the past two years I've planned on, dreamed about, and all but worshipped a particular field which happens to have an average around ~240.

My school only gave us four weeks to study, and I'm just not disciplined enough; I can't sit for 14-hours per day and do absolutely nothing but read. A third of my class does that, and I wonder how the hell they're able to retain any of it without taking any breaks. It really, really sucks to watch yourself go from that straight-A star in college to a very average student within your med school class. I mean... I got a 38 on my MCAT, and two years later I've been reduced to feeling like an idiot.

If it were appropriate for me, an adult male, to collapse into tears and start yanking my hair out...I'd probably do so. Since it really isn't... what should I do over the next TWO DAYS before my exam? Any chance just powering through 500 USMLEworld questions would raise my score by 8 or 10 points? Or am I better off flipping through first aid...

Thanks for hearing my discouraged rant.

Members don't see this ad.

So I took NBME 3 a week ago and got a 230. Studied my groin off for 6 days and pulled a 228 today on NBME 4. I've been through first aid once, most of Goljan, and 45% of USMLEworld.

This all sucks because for the past two years I've planned on, dreamed about, and all but worshipped a particular field which happens to have an average around ~240.

My school only gave us four weeks to study, and I'm just not disciplined enough; I can't sit for 14-hours per day and do absolutely nothing but read. A third of my class does that, and I wonder how the hell they're able to retain any of it without taking any breaks. It really, really sucks to watch yourself go from that straight-A star in college to a very average student within your med school class. I mean... I got a 38 on my MCAT, and two years later I've been reduced to feeling like an idiot.

If it were appropriate for me, an adult male, to collapse into tears and start yanking my hair out...I'd probably do so. Since it really isn't... what should I do over the next TWO DAYS before my exam? Any chance just powering through 500 USMLEworld questions would raise my score by 8 or 10 points? Or am I better off flipping through first aid...

My last 2 days are going to be bugs, drugs, cardio, and memorization of random lists (apparently the pathway a given hormone uses - cGMP/cAMP, etc [in the endocrine section of FA] is pretty high yield, so I'm going to focus on that, lysosomal storage diseases, glycogen storage diseases, heme translocation numbers). I tell myself that one question right is about one point when it's all said and done... so if you learn something in the next 2 days that helps you get 8 or 10 more questions right, there you go.

Hope it works out for you, and good luck - but get some relaxation in before starting third year duties.

What field has an average of ~240? I don't know of any. Integrated plastics, maybe?

You're upset with a projected 230? Dude, just relax. You'll do fine.

Anyhow, if plastics is the field you're talking about then the USMLE is just the beginning. There were only 85 total that matched for plastic surgery in 2007. You need to do a lot more than ace the USMLE to land it.

Make a list of all the things you've done so far to prepare for this exam, every reason you have to believe that you're well-prepared, that you're smart enough to do well, that you're the kind of student who's going to go in there and get it done. Read that list whenever you start to have doubts. By the way, the 230 & 228 should both be on there. It's not easy to do that well. On SDN you see all these people pulling 250's & 260's on everything they do. The majority of students don't get 230+, you should be proud that even with like 2 weeks to go, you beat the national average of medical students. You're not doomed to a 228. Read up a little from SDN experiences that reflect how you'd like to do if you need encouragement, many many people improve on the real thing, even significantly. Be positive. You're ready to do well.

As far as the next few days go, I guess I'd suggest doing pharm & micro memorization + First Aid. Not because you don't know it or because you won't get the questions right even if you took it today, but because you want to make sure. Dude I got a giardia picture and they asked me what bug it was. They actually used the term "punched out lesions" in one of the stems and yeah, the answer was multiple myeloma. Sure there's hard questions, but it's not like they're just hard for you. You're going to be fine. In another few days, you'll just be another SDN success story. Go fill in the story.

Members don't see this ad :)
The best thing to do with 2 days left is more questions. But annotate them with confidence levels of 1,3, or 5 and focus your review on the 5's that you miss; ignore the 1's, and quickly review the 3's.

Actually it's neurosurgery I want, which I think was a 236 last year. Thanks a lot for the responses, guys...I feel quite a bit better now. Busy memorizing FA's tables and UW pharm questions (since I absolutely suck at pharm...and UW thinks that's pretty funny and is just messing with me at this point...).

Actually it's neurosurgery I want, which I think was a 236 last year. Thanks a lot for the responses, guys...I feel quite a bit better now. Busy memorizing FA's tables and UW pharm questions (since I absolutely suck at pharm...and UW thinks that's pretty funny and is just messing with me at this point...).

keep your head up....its tough but you cant fall apart right now...

You already know you want to be a neurosurgeon?

Make a list of all the things you've done so far to prepare for this exam, every reason you have to believe that you're well-prepared, that you're smart enough to do well, that you're the kind of student who's going to go in there and get it done. Read that list whenever you start to have doubts. By the way, the 230 & 228 should both be on there. It's not easy to do that well. On SDN you see all these people pulling 250's & 260's on everything they do. The majority of students don't get 230+, you should be proud that even with like 2 weeks to go, you beat the national average of medical students. You're not doomed to a 228. Read up a little from SDN experiences that reflect how you'd like to do if you need encouragement, many many people improve on the real thing, even significantly. Be positive. You're ready to do well.

As far as the next few days go, I guess I'd suggest doing pharm & micro memorization + First Aid. Not because you don't know it or because you won't get the questions right even if you took it today, but because you want to make sure. Dude I got a giardia picture and they asked me what bug it was. They actually used the term "punched out lesions" in one of the stems and yeah, the answer was multiple myeloma. Sure there's hard questions, but it's not like they're just hard for you. You're going to be fine. In another few days, you'll just be another SDN success story. Go fill in the story.

That is the sweetest and best advice I've heard! Im gonna do that too- to stay pumped before my exam! I love it! :)

I think we might be the same person. Same age range, same situation. I am a miserable wreck of a human being. I wish so much that this single test, on one single day, did not have such a huge impact on my future. People try to downplay the importance of step 1, citing the myriad other factors that play into getting a top residency, but let's be honest, a person will earn very few interviews without a decent step 1 score. This breaks my heart, and has driven me nearly crazy studying for this thing. If it's any consolation, know there are other people out there right now going through the hell of this with you. I wish you very well in a few days when you take the beast.

You already know you want to be a neurosurgeon?

Eh...now that you put it that way, I'm not so sure myself. I've seen several operations (meningiomas, biopsy, all brain stuff...no idea what spine is like), done some research with one of the surgeons in the department, etc. I have no doubt that it's what I'm most interested in from a theoretical standpoint, but until I've rotated through everything I definitely can't be sure about anything.

I suppose I meant to say that I love a certain field, with a 236 average, that I'm really just hoping to keep open for consideration. If I don't pull ~235, at this time next month I'll be busy trying to convince myself that it would've been a crappy choice and that I'm better off without it. Speaking of that...was "rationalization" considered a mature or an immature defense mechanism? One of the many things I haven't quite retained... :scared:

Man SDN sure is full of whiny people. Do you think you are unique? We all have our goals and desires, and wish to do well on Step 1 so we too can have a shot at a possible ubercompetitive specialty. You are averaging 230, a very respectable score, why are you complaining?

Also, remember that the estimated scores for those NBME's can be very inaccurate. So, just go over your weaknesses, clear your head, bring lots of snacks and rock this test!

And in case you feel like rationalizing your choice not to go into neurosurg later...just remember, neurology is AWESOME :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Man SDN sure is full of whiny people. Do you think you are unique? We all have our goals and desires, and wish to do well on Step 1 so we too can have a shot at a possible ubercompetitive specialty. You are averaging 230, a very respectable score, why are you complaining?

You're kind of nasty, aren't you? I've just been looking at this board for too long. I DO feel unique among the likes of the SDN crowd, but only in a bad way... since everyone seems to start scoring 245's on NMBEs about a month before their exam. It's freaked me out a bit....and I need to remind myself that it's a self-selected crowd that posts their scores in the first place. Thanks to those here who've reminded me that I'm doing alright, my performance in comparison to the freak geniuses of SDN notwithstanding.

For what it's worth I think Form 4's a bit tougher than form 3. It certainly seems to emphasize different things. My score changed 27 points from form 4 to form 3. Don't sweat it, just keep your head up and do your best.

Also remember, a dinner spent with the residency director of your chosen specialty is worth ten times more than a step score. Get the people in the program to like you and they'll find a reason to take you.

farnsworth had some great advice. Please don't give up two days before taking the test. It is important to be confident, do your best, and be proud of the accomplishment of getting through it at all. Sounds like you are great at taking standardized tests (mcat 38!) and that will come in handy on this one. The last day before the usmle I made sure to cover a few things I was worried about and memorize equations in FA- that got me a few points for sure. You will be fine!!!!

A bit unnecessary, don't you think? OP never claimed to be unique. Just wanted some advice and support, you know like people (maybe your future patients) need sometimes.

A bit unnecessary, don't you think? OP never claimed to be unique. Just wanted some advice and support, you know like people (maybe your future patients) need sometimes.

Right, because the OP is in the same situation as my future sick patients. Man, is there any thread where someone can say something without someone pointing out how they are obviously deficient, will be horrible physicians, and don't know how to communicate, treat, or act to their patients? I'm sorry, I just don't think he should be so whiny about having 2 practice NBME scores well above the national average. In addition, there are like 10 new threads with people freaking out and asking what they should do in their last week. Hell, how about I start a thread the same way. I hate studying, I am sick of it, we all are I am sure. I don't have a problem with advice or with support, we all need both and can stand to help each other out in this tough time we are going through. But when someone whines about 230 practice scores like he's about to fail, and complains he won't get to do what he "knows" he wants to do, I'm sorry if I get a little annoyed. I for one would be ecstatic with a 230, not everyone gets 250's, half the people who take this thing get less than 217! Way too much whining.

Right, because the OP is in the same situation as my future sick patients. Man, is there any thread where someone can say something without someone pointing out how they are obviously deficient, will be horrible physicians, and don't know how to communicate, treat, or act to their patients? I'm sorry, I just don't think he should be so whiny about having 2 practice NBME scores well above the national average. In addition, there are like 10 new threads with people freaking out and asking what they should do in their last week. Hell, how about I start a thread the same way. I hate studying, I am sick of it, we all are I am sure. I don't have a problem with advice or with support, we all need both and can stand to help each other out in this tough time we are going through. But when someone whines about 230 practice scores like he's about to fail, and complains he won't get to do what he "knows" he wants to do, I'm sorry if I get a little annoyed. I for one would be ecstatic with a 230, not everyone gets 250's, half the people who take this thing get less than 217! Way too much whining.

Lighten up. He didn't mean anything by it, he's stressed out.

If you posted this in the allopathic forum, I might agree with you, but I think it's in poor form to be this critical in maybe the one place people have to come and be anonymous and vent their frustrations, ask frank questions, and identify with people who may be in the same situation or have grappled with similar issues. But hopefully the OP and others like him lurking in this forum and reading this thread will extrapolate the right things from your posts: that a 230's something to be proud of, that if you're in that range you shouldn't be too worried about failing, and that this is a common enough theme that it has gotten old to some posters, so take that as a sign that you're not alone.

Just let him rant. It's not like it was a troll thread of "Oh, I'm so sad, I got a 257 on Step 1, and I really really wanted a 275." People are tense this time of year, and if this helps him unwind a bit, so be it.

Lighten up. He didn't mean anything by it, he's stressed out.

If you posted this in the allopathic forum, I might agree with you, but I think it's in poor form to be this critical in maybe the one place people have to come and be anonymous and vent their frustrations, ask frank questions, and identify with people who may be in the same situation or have grappled with similar issues. But hopefully the OP and others like him lurking in this forum and reading this thread will extrapolate the right things from your posts: that a 230's something to be proud of, that if you're in that range you shouldn't be too worried about failing, and that this is a common enough theme that it has gotten old to some posters, so take that as a sign that you're not alone.

Fair enough, you hang around long enough and the repetitive threads get annoying. I actually haven't been on SDN much since in the last 2 years, but came back in for step 1 discussion. I'll try and lighten up a bit, though I myself would be very happy with a 230 as I stated.

Just let him rant. It's not like it was a troll thread of "Oh, I'm so sad, I got a 257 on Step 1, and I really really wanted a 275." People are tense this time of year, and if this helps him unwind a bit, so be it.

Understandable. Anyhow, where is psychodoctor, does he still post? That guy was something else.

Fair enough, you hang around long enough and the repetitive threads get annoying. I actually haven't been on SDN much since in the last 2 years, but came back in for step 1 discussion. I'll try and lighten up a bit, though I myself would be very happy with a 230 as I stated.

Dude, I just took it last week and I'm freaked out about how poorly I might have done too. A 230 looks pretty good right about now.

Don't sweat it dude. I took NBME 4 2 wks out and got a 204. Took NBME 3 3 days out and got a 232. Real deal was 239. The NBME's underestimated my score, and that seemed to be true for most ppl on last year's test. The real thing (for me) was like a cross b/t NBME 3 and the free 150. You'll do fine. Just keep studying and realize it'll all be over soon.

If you really want to go into neurosurgery and you can't muster up the self control to study 12-14 hours a day for a few weeks, you are going to have a hell of a time when you get into residency. You just need to keep reminding yourself that it is only a few weeks of your life and that these few weeks will have a profound effect on the rest of your life. No pain, no gain.

If you really want to go into neurosurgery and you can't muster up the self control to study 12-14 hours a day for a few weeks, you are going to have a hell of a time when you get into residency. You just need to keep reminding yourself that it is only a few weeks of your life and that these few weeks will have a profound effect on the rest of your life. No pain, no gain.

Hey! Thanks for the tough-guy insult disguised as advice that I can't do anything with at this point. You probably misunderstood my initial post. It isn't that I'm not willing or able to sit there and study for 14 hours, but that, when I do, it gets jumbled up, uncategorized within my brain, and I remember very little of it. I'll study a bit, do something else and let it sink in, study a bit more, etc. Over the past 6 years I've consistently done this while scoring higher than those around me... though I'm worried that now it's finally caught up with me, and that some people CAN retain it all while studying like madmen.

Don't be a tool, please. My life has revolved around studying for the past 4 weeks, and over the past 6 months I completed the kaplan books while taking courses concurrently...which was not fun. I know how to work hard. I can't assure you that I am cut out for neurosurgery, but in any case, I fail to see how sitting with a book for hours on end is at all comparable to standing over an anaesthetized patient with a scalpel for that same length of time.

Last edited:
Don't worry Pioneer-there is a huge difference between sitting in front of your computer/books for 14 hours a day and actually studying for that amount of time. It's also very different from actually being up and around in a hospital seeing patients. Do what you can and ignore comments like the one above.

I am still trying to keep myself from responding to SDNers who clearly say things in order to make themselves feel better, rather than to help an OP who is clearly just seeking some advice/support. I must not have "self control" either so at least we are in the same boat Pioneer! Good luck on the exam.

I just want to tell the Op that I understand how frustrating it can be to see everyone around you (at least here on SDN) scoring FANTASTICALLY on their practice tests and acting like it was easy. I got pretty optimistic about my chances for a good score after spending some time here on this site. Initially I was hoping for an average score, and then I started thinking I could get a 230-240. After all, I'm intelligent, above average in my classes, and it doesn't seem like its that difficult to do (if you hear anyone here talk about it that is.)

Then yesterday I took #3 with a week left and got a 214. It was discouraging to say the least. In fact, I went around the house the rest of the day emotional and unable to concentrate on studying. My score only when up 13 points in three weeks when I'd been studying about 16 hours a day every day. It seems like everything I put in my brain pops back out within a short period of time.

Anyway, it definitely is frustrating. However, I feel better today and it sounds like you feel a bit better too. Worrying about your performance and doubting yourself isn't going to help you perform better on your test. You still are likely to do very well on it tomorrow - so hold your head up high and give it your best. The rest will work out in the end.

Hey! Thanks for the tough-guy insult disguised as advice that I can't do anything with at this point. You probably misunderstood my initial post. It isn't that I'm not willing or able to sit there and study for 14 hours, but that, when I do, it gets jumbled up, uncategorized within my brain, and I remember very little of it. I'll study a bit, do something else and let it sink in, study a bit more, etc. Over the past 6 years I've consistently done this while scoring higher than those around me... though I'm worried that now it's finally caught up with me, and that some people CAN retain it all while studying like madmen.

Don't be a tool, please. My life has revolved around studying for the past 4 weeks, and over the past 6 months I completed the kaplan books while taking courses concurrently...which was not fun. I know how to work hard. I can't assure you that I am cut out for neurosurgery, but in any case, I fail to see how sitting with a book for hours on end is at all comparable to standing over an anaesthetized patient with a scalpel for that same length of time.
Neurosurgery is all surgery...no research or studying...all surgery...

hey i feel your pain! did you take it yet?
yeah, its hard to put a post like this when some people are doing worse than you. people will just get annoyed.. but i totally understand how you feel. i was getting in the 240s, now im at the 230s.. yeah.. it sucks, i know..oh well. i guess i'll just leave it up to destiny.. whatever is meant to be.. i dont know.....
so what's your plan? next step? i want to go into something competitive too (not neurosurgery) .. this week has been h*ll.. scores dropped do to personal reasons.. had i taken it before the "personal reason" happened.. im sure i would have gotten in 240s on the boards..
therefore... in the end, i think if u were meant to do neurosurgery... ull get in regardless of ur score..

please update on ur next plan/step.. :luck: