Anyone entering Pharm school without much experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PhatPharm2012

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm really nervous about starting my first year of pharmacy school because I have absolutely no experience whatsoever. I never worked as a pharm tech and i'm really concerned about how much of a disadvantage i'll have in pharm schoo. Is there anyone else entering pharmacy school without any experience in pharmacy?
 
I am also in your situation, and pretty am nervous myself...I do think that the first year probably tests you on our studying/test-taking skills and not so much the experience factor. Thus, you can work during the year or the following summer to catch up to your classmates. Anybody that is not a first year and entered without experience?
 
Experience or lack thereof will have no effect on pharmacy school. They will train you and take your money and give you a pat on the back at the end. No problem. However, the answer to your question, will you like this work , lies within yourself. You can spend a day or a month (better) as a guest almost anywhere and a little introspection may help. Most pharmacist stand a lot, spend lots of time in a small space, often with questionable others in same small space, work under pressure, work nights, weekends, holidays,etc. I guess it is a lifestyle sort of thing. No control over one's time, etc. When you buy a job at least try to study yourself first. You will either love it or hate it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I do not understand why you are worried. In school, you will study physiology, medicinal chemistry, pharmacology, pharmacotherapy, etc. Do you really think that pharmacy technicians know much about those subjects?
 
I do not understand why you are worried. In school, you will study physiology, medicinal chemistry, pharmacology, pharmacotherapy, etc. Do you really think that pharmacy technicians know much about those subjects?


I can't wait till I take med chem and pharmacology. Both subjects sound so delicious...I absolutely 😍 chemistry. Physiology is no longer that much of an interest because I took a year of it in college, so it won't be terribly new.
 
I can't wait till I take med chem and pharmacology. Both subjects sound so delicious...I absolutely 😍 chemistry. Physiology is no longer that much of an interest because I took a year of it in college, so it won't be terribly new.

I was excited about pharmacology too until we took the introductory course last semester. It was a lot more boring than I thought it would be. Maybe it was just the professor though...I hope I like it more in pharmacotherapy.

Med chem is my favorite subject. I liked learning about all the different metabolites you can get from drugs.