Anyone entering Pharm school without much experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhatPharm2012

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm really nervous about starting my first year of pharmacy school because I have absolutely no experience whatsoever. I never worked as a pharm tech and i'm really concerned about how much of a disadvantage i'll have in pharm schoo. Is there anyone else entering pharmacy school without any experience in pharmacy?

Members don't see this ad.

I am also in your situation, and pretty am nervous myself...I do think that the first year probably tests you on our studying/test-taking skills and not so much the experience factor. Thus, you can work during the year or the following summer to catch up to your classmates. Anybody that is not a first year and entered without experience?

Experience or lack thereof will have no effect on pharmacy school. They will train you and take your money and give you a pat on the back at the end. No problem. However, the answer to your question, will you like this work , lies within yourself. You can spend a day or a month (better) as a guest almost anywhere and a little introspection may help. Most pharmacist stand a lot, spend lots of time in a small space, often with questionable others in same small space, work under pressure, work nights, weekends, holidays,etc. I guess it is a lifestyle sort of thing. No control over one's time, etc. When you buy a job at least try to study yourself first. You will either love it or hate it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do not understand why you are worried. In school, you will study physiology, medicinal chemistry, pharmacology, pharmacotherapy, etc. Do you really think that pharmacy technicians know much about those subjects?

I do not understand why you are worried. In school, you will study physiology, medicinal chemistry, pharmacology, pharmacotherapy, etc. Do you really think that pharmacy technicians know much about those subjects?

I can't wait till I take med chem and pharmacology. Both subjects sound so delicious...I absolutely :love: chemistry. Physiology is no longer that much of an interest because I took a year of it in college, so it won't be terribly new.

I can't wait till I take med chem and pharmacology. Both subjects sound so delicious...I absolutely :love: chemistry. Physiology is no longer that much of an interest because I took a year of it in college, so it won't be terribly new.

I was excited about pharmacology too until we took the introductory course last semester. It was a lot more boring than I thought it would be. Maybe it was just the professor though...I hope I like it more in pharmacotherapy.

Med chem is my favorite subject. I liked learning about all the different metabolites you can get from drugs.