2008-2009 St. Louis University (SLU) Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Standard questions, no essays, plus this optional one (no char limit that I can tell)

4. Do you wish to include any comments, other than your AMCAS personal statement, to the Admissions Committee?

Members don't see this ad.

LOR:
1) Premed committee or three professors (at least one science).
1) Three optional allowed as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used the other comments section to explain why I wanted to go to the school. I don't know how much it helped, but just a thought.

I used the other comments section to explain why I wanted to go to the school. I don't know how much it helped, but just a thought.

I was thinking of doing this as well...but the question is, if you don't have something really relevant to tell them, are they going to be pissed you wasted their time (since obviously most people who are applying would probably like to go)?

I did the same...both bcat and I were accepted there--food for thought.

My app at SLU is now complete... Although since I am doing the SMP at Georgetown I imagine I will just be getting placed on hold until the end of the year... Heres hoping they see enough merit to interview me early :)

I was thinking of doing this as well...but the question is, if you don't have something really relevant to tell them, are they going to be pissed you wasted their time (since obviously most people who are applying would probably like to go)?

I think it's good to show that you're not just taking the shotgun approach to applying to medical school. It shows you have genuine interest and actually like SLU and not just medical school in general.

My app at SLU is now complete... Although since I am doing the SMP at Georgetown I imagine I will just be getting placed on hold until the end of the year... Heres hoping they see enough merit to interview me early :)
High five...me too

I just wish I would have filled out the optional essay.

Have all of you guys been verified? I have not received SLU's secondary but I think it is because I am not verified yet.

Have all of you guys been verified? I have not received SLU's secondary but I think it is because I am not verified yet.
yeah, most schools wont send them out until your AMCAS is verified

WHen did you submit?

6/28. I probably wont be verified until around July 10th. I have gotten WashU's and thats about it.
Yeah, dont worry about it then...only a few schools send out secondaries before you being verified.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do all applicants receive a secondary from SLU? Do they screen first on primary applicaiton?

I think all applicants get a secondary.

High five...me too

I just wish I would have filled out the optional essay.

High five!!

You too are complete, or you too are going to the SMP, or both?

Did you change your mind about wanting to do the essay?

You can probably send an update letter too if you didn't fill out the optional essay.

High five!!

You too are complete, or you too are going to the SMP, or both?

Did you change your mind about wanting to do the essay?
lol, just the complete part...and yes I wish I would have done the essay.

Hey guys, just thought I'd share I didn't complete the optional essay last cycle and I was interviewed and accepted at SLU. They're a great school. I just didn't have anything extra to put in the essay that wasn't already stated perfectly well in the personal statement. I'm sure you're fine either way. :luck:

Hey guys, just thought I'd share I didn't complete the optional essay last cycle and I was interviewed and accepted at SLU. They're a great school. I just didn't have anything extra to put in the essay that wasn't already stated perfectly well in the personal statement. I'm sure you're fine either way. :luck:

Are you going to SLU sawood?

I am ready to submit but do not have a photo of myself =/

Are you going to SLU sawood?

No, I was accepted at UCI a little while ago so I'll be going there. There will always be a special place in my heart for SLU, though :).

I am ready to submit but do not have a photo of myself =/

I used a picture I cropped from Facebook... though I found it exceedingly more difficult than I expected, as 80% of my facebook pictures involve me doing one of the following:

1. Drinking
2. Yelling/Making an unacceptable facial expression
3. Recovering from 1

Standard questions, no essays, plus this optional one (no char limit that I can tell)

4. Do you wish to include any comments, other than your AMCAS personal statement, to the Admissions Committee?

I think they all have 10,000 character limits (which is HUGE).

Speaking of the character limit, I'm curious what the length of your responses were like for the Gap year if you had to fill it out? I'm at like 2k character limit. I'm not sure how much detail to go into...

Any advice?

this soon?? or should I wait a few months.

I think I sent an update in November and got an interview in December, but I applied late (as this was pre-sdn for me). I would send one maybe mid-september.

How long is too long, for what is essentially an optional essay? :eyebrow:

I'm ready to submit at SLU but waiting on one more rec. Can I send the 4 that I have already which we'll be sent in a packet and be considered complete? and then send the final LOR maybe in 2 wks?

I'm ready to submit at SLU but waiting on one more rec. Can I send the 4 that I have already which we'll be sent in a packet and be considered complete? and then send the final LOR maybe in 2 wks?

If you want them to look at the late LoR wait and send them all together (it will avoid confusion).

If you want them to look at the late LoR wait and send them all together (it will avoid confusion).

I actually think that you enter your recommenders' names on your secondary, so they won't evaluate your application until all of those letters are received.

I actually think that you enter your recommenders' names on your secondary, so they won't evaluate your application until all of those letters are received.
So either way, I will be delayed?

Yeah I think so, but you should be just fine. I didn't submit until late september.

Is it a bad idea ot talk about religion in the optional essay?

Is it a bad idea ot talk about religion in the optional essay?

If you're Catholic (or even Christian) it might earn you some points at a Jesuit school such as SLU. If you really want to go that route, tie it into their mission statement and core values (I'm pretty sure this is on their website). By doing so, it will show that you've researched the school and that you're just not randomly applying there. In short, if you're sincere about it, I say go for it.

If you're Catholic (or even Christian) it might earn you some points at a Jesuit school such as SLU. If you really want to go that route, tie it into their mission statement and core values (I'm pretty sure this is on their website). By doing so, it will show that you've researched the school and that you're just not randomly applying there. In short, if you're sincere about it, I say go for it.

Go for it.. as long as it isn't preachy and ties into your motivations for going to the school, you'll be fine.

does this school screen? msar say it screens but im hearing otherwise/. clarify?

does this school screen? msar say it screens but im hearing otherwise/. clarify?

I don't think they screen for the secondary. If they do, I'm fairly certain it's something that they've adapted recently (as in this year).

I don't think they screen for the secondary. If they do, I'm fairly certain it's something that they've adapted recently (as in this year).

I don't think they screen, unless, as liftn said, they adopted it this year.

This is so weird. I got secondaries from GW, Georgetown, BU, Jefferson, Ohio state, Rochester, Washington U, Med Col Wis, just not SLU...I wonder wat's going on if they really dont' screen???

I'm probably being picky here but question 3 asks you to please describe your current activities if you are not in school from '08-'09. Current + future...I'm assuming?

I'm probably being picky here but question 3 asks you to please describe your current activities if you are not in school from '08-'09. Current + future...I'm assuming?

I mainly did current, but did throw in a line or two of my plans in terms of employment.

Gah! Can you say writer's block? I can't seem to get anything down for this one. Driving me nuts.

I have a quick question about the pic that was asked for. If I am sending it in snail mail, should it still be scanned, or just send the original?

Anyone?

Thanks

I have a quick question about the pic that was asked for. If I am sending it in snail mail, should it still be scanned, or just send the original?

Anyone?

Thanks

When you say scanned do you mean copied?
To answer your question, does it really matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.