Dat Done 7/02/2008 !!!!!!!!!! Woooo Summer Is Here!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mddang

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
NOTE: I will be answering all questions (from PM's and the thread) in this first post right here. PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME ABOUT SPECIFICS.

How did I study and when did I start?
In summer '07, I had just finished taking general chemistry and bio, so I tried to do what i could, got lazy after a week or two, and quit studying.

Over the past year, I took organic chem 1 and 2, genetics (Fall 07) , and human physiology (Spring 08). These courses alone gave me plenty of confidence the for organic chem and bio sections. General chem was difficult at first, just because it had been so long since I took it.

I began studying a bit more around spring break. I wasn't able to devote all my time to it because I had my actual classes to worry about, but I still managed to read a chapter or 2 each day for about two months from Schaum's Biology or Kaplan's GRE: Biology. (Yeah.. I read them multiple times.)

Once the semester ended in early May, I studied maybe 5 days a week, for an average of 6 hours a day. The first thing I've gotta say is READ, READ, READ! Some people say that reading is not the most efficient thing to do for studying for the DAT, but I think the first thing anyone should do is read lots of bio. Also, I practiced math first thing in the morning using Crack DAT MATH and PAT every evening using Crack DAT PAT.

After you feel like you have familiarized yourself with all the information from the books, hit the practice tests. For my last 3 weeks of studying, I took a DAT Achiever test every Friday, and a TopScore test every Monday. I really suggest not to take 6 practice tests in the week and a half before the real thing. It helps to take it several weeks before so you know where you stand and what you need to brush up on.

For the last week and a half before my test, I got really lazy/bored/TIRED of staring at the same thing over and over and over again. I felt like I had seen it all, so I got so bored and ended up watching all 4 seasons of The Office over the past 5 days. HAHA.. man.... That series is too funny.

I found that relaxing for the last week before test day is CRUCIAL. Take it easy.. The day before the test, I did a little math and PAT, and I played lots of video games.

Materials used to study: (Don't be stingy when it comes to study materials... It's worth it.)
1) DAT Destroyer.
I found this book to be perfect for the bio and overkill for both chem sections. Of course, overkill is a good thing for this test. I worked through the bio section 3 times and the chemistry sections twice.

2) Organic Chemistry Odyssey
OVERKILL.. but to me, overkill is a good thing.

3) Kaplan
I bought the purple/blue book from Barnes and casually looked throw it starting last summer. I also had access to my friend's online stuff. The section tests and practice tests were very much similar to the actual DAT. I found the difficulty of Kap's bio to be about the same of the real thing, and the real gen chem and organic chem are easier than Kap's practice material.

4) Schaum's Biology
I read through this guy twice and referenced it as I reviewed practice tests and section tests. It has a lot of information that you don't need, but I feel that learning the fine details of things really helped me gain a greater understand of the concepts.

4) Kaplan's GRE Exam, Subject Test: BIOLOGY
This book is awesome. I read through this one twice. More information than Kaplan's DAT book, but not too much like Schaum's.

5) Crack DAT MATH (Royal Flush Edition)
People say this thing is FULL of errors. It was when I first started using it, but they pay you for each error that you report. In the beginning, I reported 15 errors, so they rewarded me with $150. After that, they changed their policy to $5 an error, and I made another $135.

Like I said, this program WAS full of errors, but it's not too bad anymore. I found it to be just a hair easier than the real thing. It was really helpful for timing.

6) Crack DAT PAT (Royal Flush Edition)
JUST like the real thing. I was scoring about the same on these practice test as I did on the real thing. I found the angle ranking, cube counting, and hole punching on Crack to be harder than the real thing. Everything else was about the same.

7) TopScore
I didn't like this program. To me, it seemed like the questions were written by some idiot with an AP bio book.. but I GUESS I still found it useful.

8) DAT Achiever
This is good stuff right here. As everyone says, the real thing is much easier.

Section by section breakdown:
1) Bio: Very straight forward. Look at lots and LOTS of questions, and you'll have it covered.

2) Gen Chem: Simple. Very few calculations and lots of setting up. Know your periodic trends and about intermolecular forces, and you'll have a majority of the material down. I found that most of the practice tests out there were 10 times harder than the real thing.

3) Organic: The easiest science. Very basic 1 step reactions, and a couple of two step ones. Like gen chem, all the real thing is much easier than all of the practice material out there.

4) PAT: The angle ranking wasn't as bad is I thought it was going to be. Everything else was as expected. All I can say about this one is practice, practice, practice.

5) Reading: SEARCH AND DESTROY. I didn't read much at all, and to tell you the truth, I can't remember what the passages are about. My strategy for this one was to read the question, take 20 or 30 seconds to search for the answer, and then skip it if I couldn't find it. Don't waste your time on a single question. Skip it, and you'll probably find the answer while you're working on another question.

6) QR: For the hard ones, guess, skip, and come back if you have time.

And now for the scores...

PAT / QR / RC / BIO / GEN CHEM / O CHEM / TS / AA

Kap Prac. Test 1: 26 / 30 / 21 / 22 / 24 / 30 / 25 / 25
Kap Prac. Test 2: 23 / 26 / 22 / 26 / 24 / 21 / 24 / 24
TopScore Test 1: N/A.. I cheated on this one.
TopScore Test 2: 23 / 23 / 21 / 21 / 21 / 25 / 22 / 22
TopScore Test 3: ----------- / 21 / 23 / 30 / 23 (ONLY DID SCIENCE)
Achiever Test 1: 18 / 22 / 22 / 21 / 20 / 21 / 21 / 22
Achiever Test 2: 21 / 25 / 22 / 21 / 18 / 30 / 21 / 22
Achiever Test 3: 20 / 22 / 25 / 20 / 28 / 30 / 24 / 24

REAL DAT 7/2/08: 23 / 22 / 28 / 29 / 27 / 26 / 28 / 26

and for all you non believers out there..
ocncg.jpg

And a little advice for those who plan to take the DAT next year... TAKE HUMAN PHYSIOLOGY!!!

What's next??
I need to finish my personal statement. :mad:

I just completed my second year of college, and I am hoping I can get into dental school without a bachelors. I was thinking of applying to all 3 TX schools and several out of state just to be safe, but now, I think I'm just going to apply to the 3 TX.

Houston is my number one choice.

BANKAI!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
WOW, thats erm amazing, I wish I have your scores. How did you study? and did u only use kaplan and destroyer? did you use crack the pat? Where there any crazy bio questions? Congrats! I think you'll get in anywhere!

when i hear scores like that i gotta see certified paper in hand to believe it

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright.. coming up :D

Dude, I would not post a scan of your certified score sheet on an internet forum. Especially if there is information on it or #'s on it. The people you want to show that to are the adcoms. If you did do that well......get off your computer now and go relax and enjoy the next few days;)

Last edited:
UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON!!!!

:D

good job man, those scores are RIDICULOUS.

go coogs

Just amazing! Hopefuly you are applying for Harvard and one opening for Texas school like me :D

Wow... so uh, any tips for studying the sciences?

How long did you actually study? With your GPA, I assume you had a knack for these type of tests :rolleyes:

Congrats on slapping the DAT and its mother in the face :eek:

unbelievable...seriously, if i didnt see your report, I would not believe it's real. But...yeah, congrats

Members don't see this ad :)
Now Hugh Mannity has a competition for the Applicant of the Year award!

Greaaaaaat Job! :thumbup:

nice job....I am sure you'll get into ur fav school, so please don't apply to many schools and increase competition for ppl like me :p

And now for the scores...

PAT / QR / RC / BIO / GEN CHEM / O CHEM / TS / AA

Kap Prac. Test 1: 26 / 30 / 21 / 22 / 24 / 30 / 25 / 25
Kap Prac. Test 2: 23 / 26 / 22 / 26 / 24 / 21 / 24 / 24
TopScore Test 1: N/A.. I cheated on this one.
TopScore Test 2: 23 / 23 / 21 / 21 / 21 / 25 / 22 / 22
TopScore Test 3: ----------- / 21 / 23 / 30 / 23 (ONLY DID SCIENCE)
Achiever Test 1: 18 / 22 / 22 / 21 / 20 / 21 / 21 / 22
Achiever Test 2: 21 / 25 / 22 / 21 / 18 / 30 / 21 / 22
Achiever Test 3: 20 / 22 / 25 / 20 / 28 / 30 / 24 / 24

and for all you non believers out there..
ocncg.jpg

And a little advice for those who plan to take the DAT next year... TAKE HUMAN PHYSIOLOGY!!!

Holy f*ck... and I thought Hugh Mannity would be taking first prize home for "DAT Score" of the year... that's freakin unbelieveable.

An immediate thought that comes to mind is jealously, lol, followed closely by amazement.

Would you mind listing the schools that you're applying to so that we all know that there will at least be one less spot at those schools? :D

And are you sure you want to even bother applying to D schools? Save the money and apply to some specialty graduate programs, lol.

Would you mind listing the schools that you're applying to so that we all know that there will at least be one less spot at those schools? :D

Yeah, we didn't have to ask this question before because Hugh the great Mannity was kind enough to apply to his state school only. :laugh:

I think I'm only applying in TX now. All replies will be in my original post!

What's next??
I need to finish my personal statement. :mad:

I just completed my second year of college, and I am hoping I can get into dental school without a bachelors. I was thinking of applying to all 3 TX schools and several out of state just to be safe, but now, I think I'm just going to apply to the 3 TX.

Houston is my number one choice.

BANKAI!

Once again... holy f*ck. Remember the Indian guy from Office Space in his car during the first few minutes of the movie? Yeah... I would quote him exactly, but it'd take too much time/effort... that's exactly what's going through my head.

Damn I'm impressed. If I see you at any interviews, let me know how I'll know who you are b/c I'd like to shake your hand.

Let this be a lesson learned for any future DAT-takers out there. TAKE THE DAT AFTER YOUR SECOND YEAR OF UNDERGRAD WHEN ALL OF THE MATERIAL FROM YOUR INTRO SCIENCE COURSES ARE FRESH IN YOUR HEAD. Damnnnnn... I can't stop cursing (I'll probably still be cursing - from amazement obviously - tomorrow).

That's it... I'm going to start studying again for a re-take. Hugh Mannity's scores were enough to make me want to do this, but mddang just pushed me over the edge. Haha, j/k (or am I???)

I gotta give it to ya, nice f-in job. Congrats, good luck with applications. For now, just RELAX...

That's it... I'm going to start studying again for a re-take. Hugh Mannity's scores were enough to make me want to do this, but mddang just pushed me over the edge. Haha, j/k (or am I???)

I feel ya. :D

Anyways, you and Hugh Mannity are legend.

How long did you actually study? It seems like you really went at it. I studied for 3 weeks strong and I could hardly concentrate the last week. How did you keep going on seeing that you obviously knew your stuff.

WOW!! Amazing scores :). I am actually attempting to study for the DAT now as u did, and similarly im getting bored and lazy lol. I finished my first year in college and i got chem and bio out of the way, although i didn't give bio 2 the attention it deserved, enough to pull off an A though. However, my question to you is whether u would recommend that i go through and keep studying for the bio, chem, PAT, CR, and QR from now, i plan to take ur advice and take human physiology in the fall. i plan on taking the DAT next year in august, once again AMAZING SCORES :thumbup:

How long did you actually study? It seems like you really went at it. I studied for 3 weeks strong and I could hardly concentrate the last week. How did you keep going on seeing that you obviously knew your stuff.
APPLY WITH OUT BACHELOR CREW MEMBER, REPRESENT!

Shooo.. man.. This past week has just been.. bleh. I wanted to shoot myself in the head every time i stared at an old practice test. I just had to force myself through it.

Like I said, I spent several hours a day watching The Office, hahah.

However, my question to you is whether u would recommend that i go through and keep studying for the bio, chem, PAT, CR, and QR from now

Hey, man.. If you've got the time, do it. A little studying over a long period of time is a lot better than A LOT of studying the month before your DAT. Buy Crack DAT PAT and something else to practice math (I guess Crack DAT MAT?) now, and use it whenever you have a little free time and are just bored out of your mind.

APPLY WITH OUT BACHELOR CREW MEMBER, REPRESENT!

Shooo.. man.. This past week has just been.. bleh. I wanted to shoot myself in the head every time i stared at an old practice test. I just had to force myself through it.

Like I said, I spent several hours a day watching The Office, hahah.

I know EXACTLY what your saying, i read through every book and took every test so many times its really boring me now, I wake up in the morning not wanting to do anything...I have 2 weeks left til test day and i cant wait...

hmm i just noticed that you go to UofH
maybe i'll see you around :D
... taking my DAT on july 19th.. so scared..

Holy shhhhhhhhh. At first I was very optimistic and then I scrolled down enough to see the freakin printout and all I can say is wow. You pretty much missed about 10 or so questions on the entire test. Absolutely commendable. I am definately thinking about a re-take with all of the SDN (I dont score lowerer than 20) scores lol. Anyways wow that is a complete dismantle of the DAT and I cant stop saying wow but WOW!! Congrats on your virtual acceptance.

I am definately thinking about a re-take with all of the SDN (I dont score lowerer than 20) scores lol.

You'd better be careful if you came to think about it after reading this thread.
He is like one or two extreme cases out of 10K test-takers. If you have taken a stat class, you'd understand that he is an example of outlier.

One last note just because you got a 26. UCF football > Houston football, I have to throw this out there as an attempt to demoralize this victory of a 26 from U of H. Damnnnn

No comment.......DAMMMMMNNNNN!!!!..........Superior Scores

WELCOME TO HOUSTON!!! (next year of course)

Boy am I glad you're not going to be in my class :D

And don't listen to all these fools! Screw the NE private schools. Why pay $85k/yr when you can ace the boards, get personalized attention from profs, and have a chill environment in the best medical center in the world for $45/yr?!?

Congrats again!!

Oh and side note. Houston is NOT part of UofH... it's a part of the UTHSC... just fyi for all of you who clearly don't care lol. :cool:

Congrats!!! That right there is good stuff. Good luck with the application process. Enjoy your summer, you definitely deserve it!

WELCOME TO HOUSTON!!! (next year of course)

Boy am I glad you're not going to be in my class :D

And don't listen to all these fools! Screw the NE private schools. Why pay $85k/yr when you can ace the boards, get personalized attention from profs, and have a chill environment in the best medical center in the world for $45/yr?!?

Congrats again!!

Oh and side note. Houston is NOT part of UofH... it's a part of the UTHSC... just fyi for all of you who clearly don't care lol. :cool:

He is going to harvard not Houston :mad: lol
at least one spot will be available for us( Texas Resident) :p

I can get you placed in one of those Texan school if you promise to sit in for me on my DATs...What say..?? Fair deal...I promise they wont get a clue about this...!! :laugh:

Damn...You are giving me a sleepless night...!!:scared:

Enjoy your time at Dental School! They should give you admission without any interview!

Harvard?? Pshhh.. No thanks.

I really don't understand why people **** there pants over ivy league schools and all those other big names.. I mean, I guess it would be cool to say, "I GO TO HARVARD, B!TCHES!" but it's cool though.. not really my thing, I guess. Plus, I'd rather not pay out of my ass to live out of state and forfeit the cheap Texas tuition.

It doesn't really matter where you go, as long as you make yourself stand out, right?

Good luck, everyone!

DCRedskins, I'll see you in Houston in about a year.

Any of you other Houstonians who taking the DAT in the next month or so, if you all want to meet up and do a group study thing, I might be willing to help you guys out depending on my laziness. (although I'm not sure of how much help I will actually be..)

Harvard?? Pshhh.. No thanks.

I really don't understand why people **** there pants over ivy league schools and all those other big names.. I mean, I guess it would be cool to say, "I GO TO HARVARD, B!TCHES!" but it's cool though.. not really my thing, I guess. Plus, I'd rather not pay out of my ass to live out of state and forfeit the cheap Texas tuition.

It doesn't really matter where you go, as long as you make yourself stand out, right?

Good luck, everyone!

DCRedskins, I'll see you in Houston in about a year.

Any of you other Houstonians who taking the DAT in the next month or so, if you all want to meet up and do a group study thing, I might be willing to help you guys out depending on my laziness. (although I'm not sure of how much help I will actually be..)

Haha you're one cool kid... you've got a good head on your shoulders. You should apply there anyway and then go to some bars and say "I GO TO HARVARD, B!TCHES!", hahahaha. I love it!

You're the man... good luck with everything!

Tuition? You think you're gonna pay tuition with those scores and that GPA? haaaahaha :D