2008-2009 Brown Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please indicate your activities for the 2008-2009 year. If you are in school, please list your courses. If you are working, please describe your job, including duties and responsibilities. – 5000 characters

What is your best attribute? Describe how this attribute will enhance the student body at The Warren Alpert Medical School. – 6500 characters

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
LORs: either committee composite or 3 letters (through VirtualEvals, says nothing of Interfolio)

Last edited:
Sorry, I can't seem to figure out how to PM you, so I'll just write down the prompts...don't mean to steal your thunder...

Please indicate your activities for the 2008-2009 year. If you are in school, please list your courses. If you are working, please describe your job, including duties and responsibilities. (up to 5000 characters).

What is your best attribute? Describe how this attribute will enhance the student body at The Warren Alpert Medical School.
spacer.gif
(up to 6500 characters).

LORs: either committee composite or 3 letters (through VirtualEvals, says nothing of Interfolio)

click on the person's name that you want to PM and then select that option.

Thanks for the prompts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question about these essays:
the character limits really aren't very stringent, and give a LOT of room to play with, which is great. However, do you guys think that it's just so you don't limit yourself, or are they actually looking for well-constructed, normal essay answers?

I wrote an essay about what I'm doing this year and how it affects me yadda yadda yadda. It's a long essay, about 3000 characters, but there's a lot of fluff in there (explaining why I took the year off in the first place, why this is such an important activity...). Is that what Brown is looking for or should I just write a shorter thing about what I'm doing, period?

Cause I was thinking, Brown is obviously very liberal arts-ish. They even have a greater social science requirement than a bio one. Do you think they'd rather have a nice, long, flowery, well-written essay (a la personal statement) or more something to the point?

Thanks!

I'm about to submit, and I have around 1500 characters. Honestly, who knows what Brown thinks lol? There are already so few spots for those of us who aren't in their direct MD program.

I'm having the same problem, LET.

I think what I'm going to do is load up the beginning of the essay with the immediately relevant information (duties, responsibilities, or whatever) and then segue into the fluffier stuff.

yeah I really don't have 5000 characters to say about my activities for the next year. i was trying to talk about how exciting some of my classes were but i couldn't even make myself read through the whole thing so I doubt some adcom really wants to see all that.

but then, it makes me uneasy that they give us room for 5000 characters. :(

Yeah, i don't have anywhere NEAR 5000 for the first question. anyway...listing your courses generally takes less than a page...

For the second question, do you think they want us to just state our best attribute and move on to saying how this will enhance the student body, or should we explain WHY we think it is our best attribute first? (i.e. what about our experiences/actions/history proves that we indeed do have the said attribute)

yeah I figured at 6500 characters they were expecting something more than just stating the attribute and moving on? I dont know, I feel like had there been no limit at all, I would have kept it short and sweet, but the long limit made me think theyre actually expecting some long essay

maybe i'm reading too much into it, i dont know. but i wrote about my best characteristic and how it shaped my undergrad etc and how it would enhance the student body? blahh

About how long after verification did you guys get the secondary?

good god I'm having the same problem. They want the ONE best attribute, and the limit is 6500 characters? They could at least ask for the top 3 characteristics like NW! :oops:

I think I'm not gonna force the length... its painful for me, and most likely painful for whoever has to read it. Fluffy BS is very obvious. Mine will probably be about 3000 characters for the first one, and god knows what for the 2nd.

Actually, as long as I'm rambling, I might as well complain about this too. The 2nd prompt is so odd.. how will the characteristic benefit the brown student body? rather than our careers as physicians or our patients? Just seems odd.

for the question: list your courses for the 2008-2009 academic year, are you listing spring courses (approximating) b/c im not exactly sure what i'll be taking the 2nd semester

Members don't see this ad :)
In the past, Brown's secondary essays were limited to about 3/4 of a page. So I think the huge limits are set so that you can say as much as you want to. But I don't think it's a signal for you to go on rambling for more than a page if you have nothing to say. Remember, they give you limits and NOT minimums.

wow i actually hit 4600 chars for essay#1. I guess i had a lot to say about my job!!

Still stuck on #2 though.... an attribute that enhances the student body eh?

Ok, so I guess I didn't do my research when I chose to apply to Brown because I don't think that I fit the "social science" requirements. I'm frustrated because I have MSAR out and they say that social science classes are "Recommended." I have taken sociology which I know counts, but besides that I've never taken a Psyc or Anthro class. Does history count?!

Gah. Just trying to decide whether I should bother with the secondary at all if I don't meet the course requirements.

-BP

Ok, so I guess I didn't do my research when I chose to apply to Brown because I don't think that I fit the "social science" requirements. I'm frustrated because I have MSAR out and they say that social science classes are "Recommended." I have taken sociology which I know counts, but besides that I've never taken a Psyc or Anthro class. Does history count?!

Gah. Just trying to decide whether I should bother with the secondary at all if I don't meet the course requirements.

-BP

I would just email or call them, it never hurts to ask!

I'm stuck on the whole "how will it enhance the student body" question too... I can't for the life of me figure out how any of my top 3 traits would enhance a student body...enhance a career as a physician sure, but a student body....?

I think history probably counts. they say "Social/Behavioral Sciences(e.g., anthropology, sociology, psychology, economics or political science) - 2 semesters" and it's only "e.g.". If they include economics and poli sci in there I'm guessing history's okay. But check before you send in the big cheque :D

Oi, I'm not enjoying this secondary either, esp. the second one... I can think of attributes, but I don't know how they would contribute to the class...

I'm starting to panic about this secondary. I've had it since the 10th, but I was filling out sooo many other secondaries that I had received before then.... But Brown is one of my top top choices (even though I realize my chances are close to zero). I can't seem to write more than 300 words for the second essay....I have a lot more to say about why its my best attribute, but there's only so much I can say about how this will enhance the student body.... grr.

Actually, I have a different idea for best attribute, but i'm not really sure that it's a good idea... Could "versatility" be a good attribute? Or has it been overdone? Comments would be appreciated!

wow i actually hit 4600 chars for essay#1. I guess i had a lot to say about my job!!

Still stuck on #2 though.... an attribute that enhances the student body eh?

Yo Dulcina... is Brown Med. more open to people with "random" tastes.. I know Brown undergrad is an awesome, laid back school liberal school

Has anyone who has submitted received the famous letter with the link to the status site and a password and such? I received one letter through snail mail about how great Brown is, but no way to check my status, see if they've received my LOR's, etc.

Thoughts?

I'm starting to panic about this secondary. I've had it since the 10th, but I was filling out sooo many other secondaries that I had received before then.... But Brown is one of my top top choices (even though I realize my chances are close to zero). I can't seem to write more than 300 words for the second essay....I have a lot more to say about why its my best attribute, but there's only so much I can say about how this will enhance the student body.... grr.

Actually, I have a different idea for best attribute, but i'm not really sure that it's a good idea... Could "versatility" be a good attribute? Or has it been overdone? Comments would be appreciated!

bump

Alright. So I asked above about history meeting the "social science requirement" and so I emailed admissions and this is what they said:

"Unless the history course was taken as an interdisciplinary course with Anthropology, Sociology or Psychology, it does not count to meet the social sciences requirement."

So, I'm screwed. I actually think I have a shot at Brown and would really like to be able to complete this secondary but I'm not going to waste my time if there is no chance because of the requirements. Sure, I could take a social science class this upcoming year butttt I didn't write that on my AMCAS. Will they look that closely, or could I say I would take it just in the Brown Secondary, but not have it match in AMCAS?

-BP

Anybody figure out how to check status at Brown yet?

Anybody figure out how to check status at Brown yet?

I read somewhere that they will be sending us a confirmation letter via snail mail after submission of the secondary app. This letter is also supposed to contain information about checking your status including login info. I guess we just have to wait...

FINALLY got the snail mail from Brown.

Most oddly constructed status page in the world, by the way...

Do you have a link for it? I got the letter and activated and everything, but now when I go back to that page (http://activate.brown.edu), I can't get in. I've tried all possible passwords. Is there a different address for the status page once one has activated?

Yo Dulcina... is Brown Med. more open to people with "random" tastes.. I know Brown undergrad is an awesome, laid back school liberal school

hey! I'm actually not too sure, but my gut says yes.

That status check site doesnt work for me either, cant figure out what my password/username is.

Got status page login/password by mail. It's different from your secondary application user/pass.

For me, when I click view decision it says:

Dear __________
Your file is in process, thank you for your patience.
Sincerely,
Barbara K. Fuller
Director of Admissions

For those of you that have gotten the snail mail, about how long was it between when you submitted your secondary and when you got the letter?

anyone have problems with just the activation?

i can't even get my account activated...

For those of you that have gotten the snail mail, about how long was it between when you submitted your secondary and when you got the letter?

Well, I submitted on the 10th and received the snail mail on the 30th.

As for activation issues, maybe you can call? I found it to be relatively straight-forward so maybe they're having technical problems.

As for activation issues, maybe you can call? I found it to be relatively straight-forward so maybe they're having technical problems.

Yeah, I think I'll have to call on monday. I tried inputting my usernamd and passkey into every field possible (after trying the "activate your applicant account" link 10+ times).

ahah is that my status then? denied? :p

ignore this, im doing administrative stuff

hmm. Its been 20 days as well for me, but I don't have the snail mail yet. Maybe I'll call in a week or so if I still don't hear from them.

i submitted on the 1st and got the snail mail on the 15th.

hmm I submitted on the 31st and havent heard anything. Well, i got their snail mail INVITING me to do their secondary on the 10th or so, lol. i guess theyre a bit slow :rolleyes:

hmm ok i got the letter, but I cant seem to activate my account. says my passkey is "please use your existing password". I confirmed my old PW by logging back into the secondary site, and it works, but it won't accept that for the status page. Anyone know what to do?

Last edited:
hmm ok i got the letter, but I cant seem to activate my account. says my passkey is "please use your existing password". I confirmed my old PW by logging back into the secondary site, and it works, but it won't accept that for the status page. Anyone know what to do?

you get a password with the letter

you get a password with the letter

what the devil, I didnt! I got a letter that pretty much said "we got your secondary, use this site to check on your status", but for the password, it tells me to use my old password. Hrm.

what the devil, I didnt! I got a letter that pretty much said "we got your secondary, use this site to check on your status", but for the password, it tells me to use my old password. Hrm.

Are they talking about your Brown undergrad password? Since you go there, maybe they have a different system for you.

Are they talking about your Brown undergrad password? Since you go there, maybe they have a different system for you.

i thought the same thing! But unfortunately not, my brown applicant PW was actually the same as my brown undergrad password lol.

EDIT: so yeah, that was the problem, they assigned me my old brown pw, but they had of course disabled it when i graduated, so no password woudl work. lol hooray for common sense

Last edited:
Got status page login/password by mail. It's different from your secondary application user/pass.

For me, when I click view decision it says:

Dear __________
Your file is in process, thank you for your patience.
Sincerely,
Barbara K. Fuller
Director of Admissions
does this ever turn into "your file is complete"? or is the "in process" mean that it's complete, and theyre looking at it.

does this ever turn into "your file is complete"? or is the "in process" mean that it's complete, and theyre looking at it.

My impression was that it basically meant the same thing as "under review". Has anyone gotten an interview or even gotten rejected yet? Does it change?

Does anyone know how Brown prefers you enter the courses you took to meet their requirements if your school was on the quarter system, instead of the semester system? For instance, they want 1 semester of math and only allow you to put down one class for that. I would need to enter two math courses I took in the quarter system to make the semester unit requirement but there is only space for one course.

Also, for their social science requirement, humanities doesn't count does it?

Thanks!

My impression was that it basically meant the same thing as "under review". Has anyone gotten an interview or even gotten rejected yet? Does it change?

Mine stayed as "in process" until i got an interview invite via email. I checked it, and now it says:

The Admissions Committee has completed a preliminary review of your application, and we are delighted to invite you to interview at The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University. You will be receiving an email shortly that provides additional information regarding this invitation. If you have any questions subsequent to reviewing the email, please contact us.
Sincerely,
Barbara K. Fuller
Director of Admissions

Status
Not open for further replies.