Men's Interview Clothing Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Handy388

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about wearing a stone-gray suit and a cardinal colored tie, such as my fraternity's color.

What do you guys think? I have a lot of black suits but i think they are well, black.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a really nice Jones NY (yes, they make men's clothing too!) charcoal gray suit, and since it's a bit plain I'll probably wear a conservative colored shirt (like a nice blue) and a nice tie. I might change it up a little bit depending on the school. I wish I had a really nice pinstripe suit since I highly prefer pinstripe to a solid, but I don't think it's that big of a deal.

What are you guys going to do with your hair? I figure I'll have to cut mine shorter to keep up with it better and make it look more professional.

Everytime I went to an interview, all the guys wore black. (and ofcourse everytime we walked past a group of students/faculty they would call out, "where's the funeral?")

You're taking a risk if you go in anything but black. But it helps you stand out. Like I said though, it's a risk. The only thing I did to make myself stand out a bit was to wear a white/silver tie and a dark gray dress shirt under my suit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Really? I can't stand black suits. They're just so... ominous and boring. Besides, my only suit is charcoal gray, and I can't afford to buy another one after paying for all of these secondaries.

I went w/ charcoal gray also.

how about a red tie? Yes or no?

Everytime I went to an interview, all the guys wore black. (and ofcourse everytime we walked past a group of students/faculty they would call out, "where's the funeral?")

You're taking a risk if you go in anything but black. But it helps you stand out. Like I said though, it's a risk. The only thing I did to make myself stand out a bit was to wear a white/silver tie and a dark gray dress shirt under my suit.

how is the a risk if you don't wear black? Grey suits look fine. As long as you aren't wearin a bright red pimp suit, i can't imagine there being a difference between black or grey.

That being said, I went suit shopping the other day and walked into Mens Warehouse. I can't blame him for trying b/c he is a salesman, but oh man it was funny. He asked me why i was getting a suit so i told him, and he immidiately tried to convince to buy two suits for 400 bucks b/c "every school requires that you go for a first interview and then if they like you they'll call you back for a second interview, so you dont want to wear the same suit twice." Haha. i was like, nice try buddy. He then proceeded to explain the application process to me (completely backards by the way) as if i came to him for medical school advice.

I ended up leaving with out a suit, but I like the grey look.

we're all going to be "different" in our grey suits..

my suit is grey pinstriped. I plan on wearing a blue shirt. it's not going to be unique at all, but at least it isn't black/white/red

It's a suit, look professional. Grey is fine for guys, especially if you're interviewing in September in a warmer climate. The lighter suits are more of a "summer" look. That being said, black is also fine.

I'll probably go with grey for September interviews and switch it up to black in October.

Just look professional, they won't care that much.

how about the red tie, is that ok?

I bought a blue pin-striped suit with a white or blue shirt and a gold or red tie........what's wrong with a blue suit??.....its not like bright blue or anything...

and I was told that red and gold are "power" colors......although Im sure none of this really matters if you look nice

I should probably shave my mullet though huh...

I'm using a navy blue suit, white shirt and red tie.

Members don't see this ad :)
Although, personally I think this would work too:

pink%20suit-761891.gif

Reactions: 1 user
I should probably shave my mullet though huh...

What for? It shows the admissions committee that you can be all business and serious, but you can also let loose and have fun :p

I personally know 3 admissions committee members at a highly regarded school and they said that black isn't bad but you should definitely add some color to it with a different color (bright) tie. I think that gray suits are great and it helps you stand out a bit. As well, they aren't too flashy. So I say go for it!

I'm using a navy blue suit, white shirt and red tie.
That's exactly what I wore. It's hard to go wrong with classic, conservative dress.
I was going to where a two tone shirt like this under my suit...Do you think it is not conservative enough?
Honestly, I think you're going to have trouble finding a tie that will go well with both that and a suit. I don't see anything wrong with the shirt itself, but when paired with a suit, I dunno.

how is the a risk if you don't wear black? Grey suits look fine. As long as you aren't wearin a bright red pimp suit, i can't imagine there being a difference between black or grey.

That being said, I went suit shopping the other day and walked into Mens Warehouse. I can't blame him for trying b/c he is a salesman, but oh man it was funny. He asked me why i was getting a suit so i told him, and he immidiately tried to convince to buy two suits for 400 bucks b/c "every school requires that you go for a first interview and then if they like you they'll call you back for a second interview, so you dont want to wear the same suit twice." Haha. i was like, nice try buddy. He then proceeded to explain the application process to me (completely backards by the way) as if i came to him for medical school advice.

I ended up leaving with out a suit, but I like the grey look.

Exactly what the saleswoman tried to tell me. :rolleyes:

It's just personal experience. Like I said, everytime I interviewed somewhere last year (and maybe it was just pure chance that I experienced this), every guy wore black. From what other people are saying I guess interviewees also go in grey (if it's dark I guess). But from my memory of last year, it was all black. But then again, I cancelled pretty much all my interviews after January after my first in-state acceptance, so I might have not see what other people wore in other months.

Let's see...department store worker trying to explain the med school application process...Something's wrong with this picture, but I can't quite put my finger on it...

Let's see...department store worker trying to explain the med school application process...Something's wrong with this picture, but I can't quite put my finger on it...

is it... the application process part of it?

because that's usually what's wrong when that phrase is used in a sentence :D

you know i've been seeing a women's interview clothing thread the past few days and got kinda jealous.

props to Handy for making this thread! :thumbup:

btw...i have a black suit with blue shirt and gold "power" tie that ive had for like 3 years...

but i think i wanna wear a navy blue suit with a blue shirt and blue tie. i heard thats the "professional" look for interviews. is that wrong???

"You're application is immaculate. Awesome grades, awesome MCAT, and a perfect variety of ECs. Your interview was exceptional. However, because you're suit wasn't black, we regretfully inform you..."

Come on. As long is the suit is a dark, conservative color (e.g. black, gray, blue, or dark earth-tones) it will be OK. The suit color, or tie color for that matter, is not likely the thing that will stick in your interviewer's mind.

I just picked my suit up from Mens Wearhouse and did not get medical school advice. The salesman was excellent and helped me a great deal as I had never bought a suit before.

What I got: Andrew Fezza Charcoal Grey Pinstriped Vented Suit

What I need: Shoes (possibly), a shirt, tie.

That said, I'm going to probably go with a white shirt or the blue shirt I picked up from Macy's if it looks all right and a burgundy tie.

Its gonna look sharp.

Edit: I paid 169.99 for the suit and it came out to 202.99 with tailoring. The store will alter any seam they touched for free after the initial tailoring. I got lucky that the jacket fit me great.

Last edited:
How about an Green tie? Too flashy? Too pimpin'?

As a gay man trapped in a woman's body, and a lawyer in a former life....I feel like I can comment here.

I think most guys wear black because they have never worn a suit before and it is the "no brainer" choice. If you want to look like you actually feel comfortable in a suit, choose a color! Find out what color looks good on you, if its not gray, then don't choose gray. A very subtly pinstriped dark blue may be best for you. Dude, I totally sound like Stacey on "What Not To Wear"...

Boy shoes I like:
http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2980032...Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6005343&P=1

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2999775...Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6005343&P=2

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2999227...Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6005343&P=2
(You need to have style to pull these off)

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2879870...Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6005343&P=6

I suggest avoiding tassels and anything elf-like

And if you have a friend who's opinion you trust, take them with you when you're shopping...girls are usually best. We like to dress up men.

Black coat, very dark gray shirt, silver tie.

Whaddya think?

I think most guys wear black because they have never worn a suit before and it is the "no brainer" choice. If you want to look like you actually feel comfortable in a suit, choose a color! Find out what color looks good on you, if its not gray, then don't choose gray. A very subtly pinstriped dark blue may be best for you. Dude, I totally sound like Stacey on "What Not To Wear"...

YES! exactly what I got at Men's Warehouse: vented Calvin Klein blue-pinstriped suit.....brown shoes/belt....awesome

Where is a good place to get cheap/nice dress shirts and ties. I was on Macy's website and they're having a sale, but I can't get to a Macy's soon.

This might sound nuts, but sometimes you can get AWESOME vintage barely used ties at thrift stores and the like. You might want to check it out just to see.

Ties at Express Men run you around 40 bucks.
If you're wiling to shop online (which is always a color risk) try http://www.thetiebar.com/contact.asp.
Target also has ties for around 20 bucks, but they are like their bathing suits...hit or miss.

I was thinking that the best way to stand out would be to wear a suit that really fits. I don't know if any of you have experience with this, but it seems to me that brand names like Armani or Versace really fit perfectly. The downside is the $1000 price tag. The plus is that you can wear for years to come. Has anyone compared brands?

Gays guys usually are on top of the fashion and they seem to prefer Versace. We were joking about this the other day, but I gave it some serious thought. Looking great adds that little extra confidence that may be helpful in a stressful environment. I don't like suits that much, but I wear a jacket and a tie when I have to give an important presentation or go to court because it adds a level of confidence, no matter how unsubstantiated.

J4, since you're helping out. I have a "flat front" (I made this up?) toe shoe that is black for my suit. The guy at Men's Wearhouse called it casual and tried to sell me some shoes. I'm kinda pressed for cash, is the shoe ok to wear in this case? I feel they look fine, but I'm no style guru.

I was thinking that the best way to stand out would be to wear a suit that really fits.

AMEN!! I can't believe I forgot to say this....even if you get a cheap suit, for goodness sake, get it tailored. It may cost a lot less than you think.

Black coat, very dark gray shirt, silver tie.

Whaddya think?

that's exactly what I wore to interviews last year and it worked for me :)

I wore black slacks, black coat, blue or yellow shirt, and blue/black tie or yellow/black tie. Basically everyone wore the same thing. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

J4, since you're helping out. I have a "flat front" (I made this up?) toe shoe that is black for my suit. The guy at Men's Wearhouse called it casual and tried to sell me some shoes. I'm kinda pressed for cash, is the shoe ok to wear in this case? I feel they look fine, but I'm no style guru.

Flat front as in no ties, or flat front like square toe? Can you take a pic and post it or send it to me?

And I will be honest. I am a girl, so I TOTALLY look at people's shoes and make judgements about them. Not always bad....but judgements:). If you think the judgment is going to be "Those shoes are pretty good, and he maybe couldn't afford to get new super snazzy dress shoes" over "Dude, he has no style", then I say go for it. And this includes $300 brand new shoes that are so ugly that I would say "Dude, he has no style". I would like to think that interviewers understand that we are very poor people and good shoes are expensive. But I am an overly empathetic creature. If I could see them I could make a better call.

I think we should all answer this guy's question.

not sure about a silver tie, but thats just me.

anybody planning on wearing a white shirt?

my cloths are brooks brothers - a reliable standard

Flat front as in no ties, or flat front like square toe? Can you take a pic and post it or send it to me?

And I will be honest. I am a girl, so I TOTALLY look at people's shoes and make judgements about them. Not always bad....but judgements:). If you think the judgment is going to be "Those shoes are pretty good, and he maybe couldn't afford to get new super snazzy dress shoes" over "Dude, he has no style", then I say go for it. And this includes $300 brand new shoes that are so ugly that I would say "Dude, he has no style". I would like to think that interviewers understand that we are very poor people and good shoes are expensive. But I am an overly empathetic creature. If I could see them I could make a better call.
Square toe with ties.

Is the tie straight silver or with a pattern?

I need pictures, people!!:)

I'm not sure yet. I haven't actually bought this ensemble yet, it's just what I'm planning on wearing, I think.

I find that flat ties don't accentuate as much as colors do. Don't go with bright colors. Go with a deep, deep red or blue, at the very least. I can't see myself ever wearing a green tie.

Status
Not open for further replies.