Non-traditional - Last shot

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

No Imagination

I
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I am kind of curious what you guys think about my chances here. I am def. a non-traditional applicant. I am currently about 6 months from my Ph.D in Biochem, and nearing 30.

Problem is, my undergrad grades (and a lot of my pre-req grades) were lackluster (2.6 GPA)

On the bright side, i've pulled my GPA up to a 3.6 with with a Biochem concentration while getting my Ph.D (yes, some graduate grades are inflated).

I have +10,000 hours experience working with a vet.
~1,000 hours working with lab animals, and have extensive research credentials, 2 peer reviewed pubs, 9 abstracts, 1 grant.

What are the chances a vet school with overlook my 2.6 GPA in my undergrad from (some classes) 10 years ago? (I can still use the classes, as I have taken higher level classes since starting my doctorate).

My LoR's are excellent, with some preeminent scientists and vets, as well as good social recs.

I've taught several semesters of advanced chemistry and biochem classes while finishing my degree.

My GRE's are so so (took them fast 2 years ago, pulled ~600 on Q and V) could not retake as I am defending at the moment.

Sorry for the wall of text, but as crunch time approaches, nights are getting sleepless.

Finally, I plan on doing Lab Animal research, and I was honest and clear about that on my application (with private practice on the side).

Thank you for your feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
NI-
Hey there. I'd say your chances are as good as mine--I have a decent GPA, but a terrible GRE score. As for the age of your classes--it really depends on what school you apply to. Plus, since you're in grad school, I would think that some of the schools with those criteria wouldn't hold you to them. :luck:

Really depends on the school. Some are very adamant that grad school grades don't count. In which case you would still be a 2.6 on paper to them, which can automatically get your application tossed in the trash at some schools. Need to find a school with a more holistic approach where your grad school work will play to your advantage.

Experience might help you too. I am assuming its mostly lab animal related that you have done, which would be good since thats what you want to do.

Best of luck to ya.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm curious about why it's your last shot. I'm 39 and applying for the first time. :oops:

Yeah, Mizzou swore up and down my 3 years in grad school for my masters wouldn't help me get in. :rolleyes: My undergrad stats were okay, but not super duper stellar. I would emphasize in your app your extra years of experience, teaching (I emphasized that I taught non-science people scientific concepts in ways they could understand, just how you'd do with clients), thousands and thousands of animal hours (I've probably done more mouse ovexes than many exotic vets!), and maturity. Your courses in grad school will likely be the same caliber as vet school, there's just more of them. So instead of taking 1-2 challenging classes at once, you're taking 4 or 5. That's the main difference. But no required research and no teaching, so it kind of levels out. That being said, I found grad school easier than vet school. Good luck!! :luck:

I'm curious about why it's your last shot. I'm 39 and applying for the first time. :oops:

The reason I think this is my last shot, is I will have to do a post doc if I don't get accepted (least 2 years), at which point, I can either do get into a tenure tract position, or reapply to vet school.

If I reapply to vet school, I will probably never get a tenure tract position, as I will have been out of the field too long :-(

Also, not sure how else to increase my chances to reapply, I retook my bad undergad classes (Chem I and Physics II), and took Adv. Organic to override a C in O-chem II.

When you have 180 credits, near impossible to increase your overall GPA.

Thanks for the words of wisdom everyone. I just wish there was something else I could do to strengthen my app a bit.

Anyone know, how vet schools feel about students with a desire to go into Lab animal work? I know its not the fluffy field good route many people go with.