Univ of Missouri Supplemental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pistol Pete

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else going through the Missouri supplemental(due Nov1). It is like the VMCAS app all over again...inclined to just copy and paste but human nature makes me want to change things a little bit. Am I just being paranoid?

Pete

Members don't see this ad.

It is very similar to the VMCAS, which is why I elected to submit a direct application to Mizzou verses doing both. I think it ends up being less expensive as well but I might be wrong. Good luck to ya!

I know what you mean! I'm not sure what to do either.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mostly copied and pasted with a few minor tweaks.

I plan on doing the same.. the two won't be exactly alike but how many times can you answer the same question?

One of the essay questions has to do with animals in teaching and research. I can't find a link to the animal use policy at Missouri, though, and I would like to read it so I can incorporate it into my response (or at least avoid putting my foot in my mouth). Is anyone here familiar with their policy, or what options Missouri students have with animal use?

One of the essay questions has to do with animals in teaching and research. I can't find a link to the animal use policy at Missouri, though, and I would like to read it so I can incorporate it into my response (or at least avoid putting my foot in my mouth). Is anyone here familiar with their policy, or what options Missouri students have with animal use?

Anyone have any info?! I've looked and can't find anything on their site relating to it....

i spoke with kathy seay on tuesday. she said i am the first applicant who has ever called to ask about the animal use policy (!). i'll write the curriculum info here, but i hesitate to quote anything else she said (like about the "concepts" question specifically), since i didn't ask if i could post about it on the forums. i'd be happy to tell anyone who's interested more on PM though, so please let me know if you're working on this question.

*there is a 'live animal lab' at the end of second year which includes practicing surgery on and euthanizing the school's purpose-bred dogs. the lab is strongly encouraged but not mandatory, she said every year maybe one student opts not to participate.

*students also work on cadavers - she mentioned dogs and calves. the calves come from farms.

Whoo, I'm done! Seems last minute, but I had it all completed already - I just wanted to let my essays "marinate" a little before re-reading them and editing them a little. Anyone else glad to be finished?

Heck yes! I' so glad to be done.

I was getting really frusterated with the supplemental.+pissed+

Not only because of having to pretty much re-do the VMCAS, but I was having formatting issues with their rules for 10 lines with the length for each line being 80 characters per line. It wouldn't work unless I had only ~65 characters per line and even then it would cut the line in half which would cause it be more than 10 lines. Also, for the longest time it wouldn't let me put in my exact GPA...if I put it as a .01 difference it would work, but my exact GPA wouldn't work.

SO happy to hit send!

That thing drove me NUTS. The formatting aspect of the essays, mostly. I was about ready to give up and throw my computer across the room - but then I got wise and just made a textedit window 80x24. Solved the problem for the rest of the essays. Definitely going to recommend doing that for people who apply next year...

i spoke with kathy seay on tuesday. she said i am the first applicant who has ever called to ask about the animal use policy (!). i'll write the curriculum info here, but i hesitate to quote anything else she said (like about the "concepts" question specifically), since i didn't ask if i could post about it on the forums. i'd be happy to tell anyone who's interested more on PM though, so please let me know if you're working on this question.

*there is a 'live animal lab' at the end of second year which includes practicing surgery on and euthanizing the school's purpose-bred dogs. the lab is strongly encouraged but not mandatory, she said every year maybe one student opts not to participate.

*students also work on cadavers - she mentioned dogs and calves. the calves come from farms.

We also have various opportunities to learn spays and neuters from the local shelter and monthly trips to Kansas City (hopefully they will continue, the organization is having funding problems). We also have more time in clinics than most other schools (a whole semster worth), so you can probably have the opportunity to practice during a preceptorship if you like.

We are actually fairly lucky for anatomy in how many animals you get to see. I'm not sure where everything comes from, but as best as I can remember...

First semester:
-dogs
-cats
-rabbits
-rats
-hamsters, gerbils, mice (prosections)

Second semester:

-calves (I think I heard they came from Amish farms maybe? They usually are the ones that didn't grow as quickly, I think)
-miniature horses/ponies
-chickens
-snakes
-iguanas, turtles (prosections...the iggies came from a zoo in Florida where they are a major pest around there because people get them and let them loose, so they are "feral" :rolleyes:)

We also have various opportunities to learn spays and neuters from the local shelter and monthly trips to Kansas City (hopefully they will continue, the organization is having funding problems). We also have more time in clinics than most other schools (a whole semster worth), so you can probably have the opportunity to practice during a preceptorship if you like.

We are actually fairly lucky for anatomy in how many animals you get to see. I'm not sure where everything comes from, but as best as I can remember...

First semester:
-dogs
-cats
-rabbits
-rats
-hamsters, gerbils, mice (prosections)

Second semester:

-calves (I think I heard they came from Amish farms maybe? They usually are the ones that didn't grow as quickly, I think)
-miniature horses/ponies
-chickens
-snakes
-iguanas, turtles (prosections...the iggies came from a zoo in Florida where they are a major pest around there because people get them and let them loose, so they are "feral" :rolleyes:)
Hi! I would love to know more about any opportunities that MU students may get to work with local shelters. Do students perform spay and neuters at shelters?

Hi! I would love to know more about any opportunities that MU students may get to work with local shelters. Do students perform spay and neuters at shelters?

Yeah, there is the local shelter that we are working with along with another club (the emergency and critical care club, if I recall) to do these periodically. They like to have first and second year students assist, though I haven't been able to make it to one yet. We don't do it at the actual shelter (their surgery room is SMALL), we do it in the anatomy/surgery lab room so there's more space and more equipment. They also had something called the HOPE trip out to Kansas City once a month. I'm not sure what the status of that is as I haven't gotten an e-mail about it recently.

In addition, you can also use your free block time during third and fourth year to do externships or preceptorships at shelters or other places in need. For example, there is a program through the Student AVMA where you can go down to a Native American Indian reservation for a week or so in the southwest to help with spays, neuters, and general wellness stuff. I definitely think I'll try that! :D