Thank you notes post residency interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marcello

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick questions about post-interview thank you notes:

1. How extensive should they be and what is the general content/ format? Hand written on a blank card or a full letter?
2. Who to include?--all interviewers, admin, PD?
3. How long to wait post interview before writing?
4. If this is not necessarily a top program, what do we include in the note and how to forego discussig that this is your top pick, etc. ?

Thanks a ton!

Members don't see this ad.

i wrote my first thank you note today. I was particularly pleased with how friendly and easy-going one of the interviewers was, and just wanted to communicate how much I appreciated the "simple conversation" that we had about common interest. Didn't really go into how this affects the whole application process, or how this will affect my decision - I just wanted to let this person (who is very accomplished in his field) that I enjoyed meeting with him.

basically, I will not be writing 'thank you' notes just for sake of checking a box on the to-do list. I do not think that that serves any purpose. If I happen to run into more people that I genuinely like interacting with, I will send them a note to let them know that I appreciated their interviewing style, easy mannerisms etc. I think that they aught to get that kind of feedback.

I have settled on this format: a nice card to the PD and one to the residency coordinator (who really seems to do everything for the interview day). I express my appreciation for having been invited and thank them for their time and efforts on my behalf on the day.

I feel ok with that choice, just enough but not too much. :)

Quick questions about post-interview thank you notes:

1. How extensive should they be and what is the general content/ format? Hand written on a blank card or a full letter?

Who cares. Write what you think is necessary. Write about what they did and say thank you.

2. Who to include?--all interviewers, admin, PD?

Include whoever you want to include. Realize that everyone took time out of their day to visit with any applicant. I'm sure most had better things they could do (like be on a golf course somewhere).

3. How long to wait post interview before writing?

Proper etiquette in this setting dictates that thank you's should be sent within two weeks of your interview day. There's no penalty for quickness.

4. If this is not necessarily a top program, what do we include in the note and how to forego discussig that this is your top pick, etc. ?

Well first you don't need to tell any program they are a top choice. I haven't said anything about a top choice in any of my thank you's because it's too early too tell where I want to go, and so far it has worked out that every place I have interviewed thus far is better than the last. But seriously, you have a creative mind (otherwise you wouldn't be in medical school) I'm sure you can write thank-you's on your own without needing much advice.

Besides the general consensus is that thank-you's don't help or hurt, they're just a matter of professionalism.

At a minimum would write one to the PD. Do not skip that one.

The secretary/program coordinator I don't think you have to send one to. You can if you want. A nice thank you at the end of the day, and/or an email should be fine.

Would write one to the dept. chair if he interviews you.

Consider thank you note to all faculty interviewers...but if it's 7 in one day that might be a lot.

It doesn't matter if you type or hand write them. I find typing (but signed w/signature) easier. Don't send a cutesy or too-informal one.

Try to send them all within 2 weeks. Mention specific things you liked about the program.

I heard different things. That it doesn't make a difference. That some PD's consider it as butt-kissing.

To aProgDirector, what's your take on thank you notes?

I heard different things. That it doesn't make a difference. That some PD's consider it as butt-kissing.

I think EVERYBODY agrees that it doesn't make a difference. But that's not really the point of thank you notes. It's part of professional etiquette. When you have a career related meeting/interview, good etiquette dictates you send a thank you note afterwards. It will not influence the ranking one iota. Nor is it supposed to. It's just a matter of good manners. And no, no PD is going to consider it butt-kissing. It's simply very common practice. Most interviewees will send them. Most PDs will read the letter, say "how nice" and pitch it in the garbage. Which is all it's meant to accomplish -- sending thanks to someone who took the time to answer your questions. Not meant to get you into a program, and it most definitely won't have any impact.

You see the whole "butt kissing" notion raised on the pre-allo board a lot, but most people who get beyond the premed stage realize that certain niceties like manners are never actually regarded this way. I can tell you from another profession that this is simply how professionals conduct themselves. You may not agree with it, but it's the custom. It's more about how you want to conduct yourself as a professional than anything else. It isn't about "getting" anything; it's more like holding the door open for someone. Just common practice and good manners.

Reactions: 1 user
I think EVERYBODY agrees that it doesn't make a difference. But that's not really the point of thank you notes. It's part of professional etiquette. When you have a career related meeting/interview, good etiquette dictates you send a thank you note afterwards. It will not influence the ranking one iota. Nor is it supposed to. It's just a matter of good manners. And no, no PD is going to consider it butt-kissing. It's simply very common practice. Most interviewees will send them. Most PDs will read the letter, say "how nice" and pitch it in the garbage. Which is all it's meant to accomplish -- sending thanks to someone who took the time to answer your questions. Not meant to get you into a program, and it most definitely won't have any impact.

You see the whole "butt kissing" notion raised on the pre-allo board a lot, but most people who get beyond the premed stage realize that certain niceties like manners are never actually regarded this way. I can tell you from another profession that this is simply how professionals conduct themselves. You may not agree with it, but it's the custom. It's more about how you want to conduct yourself as a professional than anything else. It isn't about "getting" anything; it's more like holding the door open for someone. Just common practice and good manners.

:thumbup:

I agree wholeheartedly

We had an interview information session last week and our dean of students told us that we should send ONE generic, business-like thank-you note to the program coordinator and director (naming your interviewers in the note). The faculty on our pannel agreed that this was a good idea. They also said if you had a question or a specific comment to make to a faculty member with whom you interviewed, you could email or write that person directly.

That should cut down your thank-you-note costs!

I will be handwriting thank you notes, on good stationary, using the proper ink. I love writing notes and things and look forward to getting the opportunity to do so. I also think it's a matter of courtesy.

I'm going to write one letter to PD naming all the people I interviewed with and the PC plus something unique about the program I saw. I'm going to type it out and sign it since I have bad handwriting. This is good idea because I can reuse the template for next program.

In response to the above, I agree with Law. As a practicing physician, everytime I've refered someone, I receive the appropriate notes from the consulting physician and almost always with out fail the last sentence will be thank you for this most interesting referral, or some variant. It's simple courtesy and while it may not amount to a hill of beans, I can't help but beleive it's absence would be noted. If you are applying to a competetive field, it seems you wouldn't want to be the person who DIDN'T send a thank you, but that's just my 2c

Earlier this year, I found this pdf at the U of Chicago that goes through applying to different specialties and stuff. The thing with thank you notes and ortho made me concerned because it says:

How should students ideally communicate with programs after interviewing?

Don't! Most programs do not want unsolicted contact after interviewing. If the institution wants to talk, they will get in contact with you. Thank you notes and follow-up visits should not be routine.

I was still planning on writing some letters, but since I'm applying to ortho, I don't want to come off as annoying.

Earlier this year, I found this pdf at the U of Chicago that goes through applying to different specialties and stuff. The thing with thank you notes and ortho made me concerned because it says:

I was still planning on writing some letters, but since I'm applying to ortho, I don't want to come off as annoying.

I don't know what Chicago is smoking, but can tell you that other med schools suggest the opposite, and state that thank you notes are the agreed exception to the unsolicited contact rules. Also, in terms of follow-up visits, at most interviews the programs seem to tell folks to feel free to contact them for a second look visit.

We had an interview information session last week and our dean of students told us that we should send ONE generic, business-like thank-you note to the program coordinator and director (naming your interviewers in the note). The faculty on our pannel agreed that this was a good idea. They also said if you had a question or a specific comment to make to a faculty member with whom you interviewed, you could email or write that person directly.

That should cut down your thank-you-note costs!

Ah ha! I feel very validated on this one. :)

I like the boxes of blank cards that Borders sells, they are very nice and kind of classy.

more thoughts on whether cards vs notes vs letters are most appropriate?

more thoughts on whether cards vs notes vs letters are most appropriate?

Really doesn't matter. The etiquette is to send some form of correspondence. You ought to only use email if they have indicated that is how they like to receive things. But as to cards vs notes vs letters, it is more a matter of personal taste. If you have good handwriting, I think a card/note gives it a personal touch. If you write unintelligibly like some of us, then something type-written is best. Don't misspell things or use poor grammar, obviously. But otherwise thank them in whatever fashion you find most becoming of a professional. That's what it's all about. I think folks get too bogged down in the form over substance when they start asking questions like yours. Answer is it doesn't matter -- do what your own taste dictates. If you were a doctor, and were going to open a piece of mail, read it and then dispose of it, how would you like that mail to look.

A request is a request and you should honor it. If the program says "please use X format" or "Due to the amount of mailings, we would like you to know that thank you notes or cards are not necessary" then you should go with it. Otherwise, a thank you note is appropriate when you think someone has taken some of their time to share with you. It's not just a professional matter, it's an element of common manners that is entertained among friends, colleagues, professionals, and other social groups.

[In regards to the ortho comment:] Unless otherwise stated, that someone/some program would view you poorly for extended a formal thank you seems to me to be a ridiculous demonstration of how impersonal and unfriendly that program is.

Having done med school interviews, I always really appreciated the thank you cards I would get from interviewees. They did not influence my evaluation b/c my evaluation was of the interview, but they brightened my day and made me appreciate the person, even if the message felt canned. I think it's not so bad a thing to be doing that for someone else.

I have been told by residents at specific programs that they keep all correspondence in your file and that it is in your best interest to write the program thank you's after sub-I's and interviews, and correspondence as it gets closer to match time if you are planning to rank them highly.

I think thank you notes are silly. If I did an away at a program, someone writes me a letter, or the PD meets with me outside of an interview (i.e. during an away rotation, or second look), I think a thank you note is in order. In context of the interview, totally unnecessary. I posted this before, some programs have said, dont write me anything, i wont even open it, and others have said, "if you want to come here, stay on my radar". My plan is so send an email to the program director that says "stay on my radar". The way I see it, programs need to fill their spots, so interviewing is necessary if they want to screen candidates, so really, they should send me a thank you note for giving up my time to consider their program!! (man i hope no PD's see that)

Is it OK /acceptable/standard practice to send an email thank you to the residents u met on the pre-interview dinner? That is where I got most of the useful info anyway?

BTW I plan to email all my thank you letters.....

(man i hope no PD's see that)

Too late.

Happens that I agree. You're spending money/time to come and see my program. I'm spending money/time on recruiting you. It's a wash -- I don't think anyone owes a thank you note to anyone else.

As has been said multiple times, this is a personal / cultural issue. Some people feel it is the "right" thing to do to write a thank you note after an interview. If so, be my guest. But do not expect it to change your position on my rank list.

Reactions: 1 user
If it doesn't help you, then it also shouldn't count against you if you don't send them.

It doesn't. Again, helping/hurting is not the point of this. It's about the kind of person you are. Like holding a door open for someone. You don't do it to get something, and the other person doesn't generally expect you to do it, but if you have manners, you do it anyway. Look at these thank you notes the same way. Business etiquette is that you send thank you notes when someone takes time out of their schedule to meet with you. In my prior career I've sent/received many such notes. Medicine is also a profession and the etiquette is identical.

It doesn't. Again, helping/hurting is not the point of this. It's about the kind of person you are. Like holding a door open for someone. You don't do it to get something, and the other person doesn't generally expect you to do it, but if you have manners, you do it anyway. Look at these thank you notes the same way. Business etiquette is that you send thank you notes when someone takes time out of their schedule to meet with you. In my prior career I've sent/received many such notes. Medicine is also a profession and the etiquette is identical.
Nice that there are people who still believe in manners. :love:

You know, I'm taking just as much time out of my schedule, which is a sacrifice of income for me, plus I'm paying significant amount of money to go talk to them, to do so. Yet no thank you notes from the programs...where's the professionalism and courtesy in that?

I say that simply for argument's sake. Frankly, I think it's silly when someone thanks me for requesting them to consult. What I want is their expertise on behalf of my patient, not their gratitude for sending them work.

Last edited:
You know, I'm taking just as much time out of my schedule, which is a sacrifice of income for me, plus I'm paying significant amount of money to go talk to them, to do so. Yet no thank you notes from the programs...where's the professionalism and courtesy in that?

I say that simply for argument's sake. Frankly, I think it's silly when someone thanks me for requesting them to consult. What I want is their expertise on behalf of my patient, not their gratitude for sending them work.

On the first point, I agree. But then again, we were the ones who were invited. . .

On the second point, when a consultant says "thank you" they are just saying "thank you for recognizing my expertise." They could also be saying "thank you for the business". But in truth, I think what they are trying to do is to avoid the situation of "oh god, another consult you dumb $h!# just read the culture sensitivities and treat" by heading it off with a nice thank you. (at least that's how I see things go down at my hospital sometimes!)

Well said. I agree completely.

I've received thank you notes from programs. Friends of mine applying into different specialties have received them as well. Professional courtesy should go both ways.

Professional courtesy was much more common in my former career than I'm seeing in medicine. I've seen much more lack of professionalism than I would've ever dreamed. It's pretty disheartening to be honest.

Residency interviews are also funny. The large majority of mine have basically been completely conversational and just trying to determine whether me coming to their program and them ranking me highly would be a mutually beneficial decision. When I was coming out of college and interviewing for jobs of my chosen field at that time, I would get completely grilled during interviews. A lot of people here seem to freak out if a question gets more difficult than "So, tell me about yourself...." or "Do you have any questions for me?".

I've received thank you notes from programs. Friends of mine applying into different specialties have received them as well. Professional courtesy should go both ways.

Professional courtesy was much more common in my former career than I'm seeing in medicine. I've seen much more lack of professionalism than I would've ever dreamed. It's pretty disheartening to be honest.

Residency interviews are also funny. The large majority of mine have basically been completely conversational and just trying to determine whether me coming to their program and them ranking me highly would be a mutually beneficial decision. When I was coming out of college and interviewing for jobs of my chosen field at that time, I would get completely grilled during interviews. A lot of people here seem to freak out if a question gets more difficult than "So, tell me about yourself...." or "Do you have any questions for me?".

It really has a lot to do with who has the power in the relationship. You don't want to scare away prospective applicants if you aren't in the position of power. Most companies have no deficiency of college grads looking for entry level work. If they did, there would probably be less grilling. I don't know the difference between specialties and the relative competativeness in degree of interview grilling. I know that personally, I have seen everything from the interviewer praising me for 10 minutes before we got started to rapid fire questions like, "why did you pick this specialty?" "Why do you think you'd be any good at it?" etc... I knew a guy who was grilled on the layers of the abdominal wall at one interview. This is all within the same specialty, so it's pretty variable.

I'm sitting here with my "Thank You" cards in front of me and I don't know how to start the card off. Should I write something like "thank you for interviewing me" or "Thank you for inviting me to be interviewed?"

I know this is a pretty idiotic question, but I'm stuck......

I'm sitting here with my "Thank You" cards in front of me and I don't know how to start the card off. Should I write something like "thank you for interviewing me" or "Thank you for inviting me to be interviewed?"

I know this is a pretty idiotic question, but I'm stuck......

There is no set form. Just express your thanks and tell them you enjoyed the opportunity to meet them and hear about their program. You are overthinking this way too much. They are going to spend 2 seconds to read it, say, "how nice" and discard it. Just avoid misspellings and grammar errors.

There is no set form. Just express your thanks and tell them you enjoyed the opportunity to meet them and hear about their program. You are overthinking this way too much. They are going to spend 2 seconds to read it, say, "how nice" and discard it. Just avoid misspellings and grammar errors.

Thank you:).

I've been sending general thank yous to all programs. I send a thank you with something like "I could see myself here" to only select programs that I'm interested in. I plan on following up with requests for second looks at those places after the Holidays. Then I will send one letter of intent to the program I will rank first. Is that too much? I'm worried about losing contact with these places. Everyone says to stay on the PDs radar. . .

I've been sending general thank yous to all programs. I send a thank you with something like "I could see myself here" to only select programs that I'm interested in. I plan on following up with requests for second looks at those places after the Holidays. Then I will send one letter of intent to the program I will rank first. Is that too much? I'm worried about losing contact with these places. Everyone says to stay on the PDs radar. . .

That's up to you.

Sounds like a lot of work to me. Most people don't do more than 1 or 2 second looks. Does it really make a difference whether you rank a program 2nd or 3rd since you've already decided on your number 1?

That's up to you.

Sounds like a lot of work to me. Most people don't do more than 1 or 2 second looks. Does it really make a difference whether you rank a program 2nd or 3rd since you've already decided on your number 1?

Thanks for your feedback. I plan on doing no more than 2-3 second looks, and the reason for that is to decide my number one from those. I was expecting to be really excited about one program during this process and that hasn't exactly happened yet. There are 2 programs so far that I liked more than the others so all the extra work would be to decide which program would emerge as my number 1.

Too late.

Happens that I agree. You're spending money/time to come and see my program. I'm spending money/time on recruiting you. It's a wash -- I don't think anyone owes a thank you note to anyone else.

As has been said multiple times, this is a personal / cultural issue. Some people feel it is the "right" thing to do to write a thank you note after an interview. If so, be my guest. But do not expect it to change your position on my rank list.

This has nothing to do with TY's... but aPD, I just realized what your pic was and giggled out loud. :thumbup: great book!

This has nothing to do with TY's... but aPD, I just realized what your pic was and giggled out loud. :thumbup: great book!

Now I'm laughing. What book do you think my avatar is referring to?

Because, it is in fact a reference to the Flying Spaghetti Monster. If you want the condensed version, here it is on wikipedia.

Missed that! Have to go get a copy.
Yes, it is indeed The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. I definitely suggest reading it, an attending gave it to me to read over the summer for down-time while studying for Step 2. Totally worth it !

How long is too long after the interview? I'm really behind on my thank you notes.

How long is too long after the interview? I'm really behind on my thank you notes.

Proper etiquette is that thank-you's should go out within two weeks of the interview. However it is better to be late than never. Send them as soon as you can, even if they are very late.

Proper etiquette is that thank-you's should go out within two weeks of the interview. However it is better to be late than never. Send them as soon as you can, even if they are very late.

I'm in the same boat - it's been ~1m since my interviews. Would it be more detrimental to send a thank-you note at this point? (risk being considered disorganized?)

I'm in the same boat - it's been ~1m since my interviews. Would it be more detrimental to send a thank-you note at this point? (risk being considered disorganized?)

I would send them....better late than never.