UT Southwestern Class of 2013!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

funkydrmonkey

They Call Me Dr. Funkmonk
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Woot! Today was the most awesome and stressful day, but we made it through the prematch. I loved the school, and I have family, friends, and family friends who live in Dallas and the suburbs, and I am really excited to have gotten the acceptance. This is one of my top choices. I am so excited!

Members don't see this ad.

1 Interview.....1 acceptance......CANCELLED THE REST!!!!!

Congrats to everyone who got in and I can't believe we START MED SCHOOL NEXT FALL!!!

Congrats to everyone who got in and I can't believe we START MED SCHOOL NEXT FALL!!!

Congrats DrNort! We might be classmates next year. Woot!:hardy:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm here. I'm not sure other people are aware of the existence of this part of SDN... I mean I've never ventured outside of the MCAT zone for my first year on SDN, after which I spent all my time in pre-allo.. oh well who cares.. we're going to med school!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Hey everyone,

I'm new to these forums and am so excited to join you guys in this thread!

Anyone here for sure attending UTSW? For now, I think I'm most likely heading there next year. Also, are there any current UTSW students lurking around here who can maybe answer some questions about the school?

Hello my future classmates, hope you are done with your classes before Thanksgiving break.
At this point I am 90% sure that I would be attending UTSW. I have a couple other schools to listen back from but I doubt that I would pick a school with 4 times the tuition as UTSW. Anyone knows when would we be hearing back from them about Finacial aid and all that good stuff? :D

Don't we have to submit a FAFSA in January before anything can happen with Fin Aid?

As of right now it looks most likely that I will be going here. However, I'm still waiting on two more schools, which could change things up quite a bit. :)

Wow, that's pretty ballsy. That's what I felt like doing after I interviewed there, but I didn't have the stones for it.

I have a couple other schools to listen back from but I doubt that I would pick a school with 4 times the tuition as UTSW. Anyone knows when would we be hearing back from them about Finacial aid and all that good stuff? :D

Don't we have to submit a FAFSA in January before anything can happen with Fin Aid?
I received a scholarship offer with my formal acceptance letter ("As evidence of our strong desire for you to join us at UT Southwestern..."), but I think that they will be doing most of their financial aid stuff after FAFSA.

The only other school I would consider at this point is Baylor, but I still haven't even been invited to an interview there, and at this point (especially considering the UTSW scholarship) it would difficult to justify spending the extra money.

I just wanted to drop in and say congratulations to all of you that have been accepted. I'm an MS1 at UTSW, and would be happy to answer any questions that you might have. Congrats again, and make sure you celebrate heartily -- you earned it!

I just wanted to drop in and say congratulations to all of you that have been accepted. I'm an MS1 at UTSW, and would be happy to answer any questions that you might have. Congrats again, and make sure you celebrate heartily -- you earned it!
I would appreciate your perspective on the student community at UTSW. I understand - from my experience at the interview day and from friends at UTSW - that the school is not really as cut throat and over-the-top competitive as it is often made out to be. I assume you would agree?

My more pressing concern, though, is whether or not there is a warm "student community" at UTSW. Is there a strong sense of comradery among students? Does the Colleges system work? Are you friends with the students in your College? Is the school "cliquish"? Do students regularly spend time together outside of school/studying?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would appreciate your perspective on the student community at UTSW. I understand - from my experience at the interview day and from friends at UTSW - that the school is not really as cut throat and over-the-top competitive as it is often made out to be. I assume you would agree?

My more pressing concern, though, is whether or not there is a warm "student community" at UTSW. Is there a strong sense of comradery among students? Does the Colleges system work? Are you friends with the students in your College? Is the school "cliquish"? Do students regularly spend time together outside of school/studying?

Thanks in advance for your input!
The whole cut throat thing is BS. Don't get me wrong, any medical school is competitive (ask yourself this: When you go to medical school, will you not try to get the best grades possible?) but some of the stories being thrown out (some by interviewers at other schools (!)) are just crap. I don't have any first-hand, second-hand, third-hand, whatever knowledge of anybody thrying to sabotage anybody else -- quite the contrary. An example: We just finished Genetics. Right before our final, people were emailing, to the entire class, lists of practice problems that they had dug up. I ended up with far more practice problems that I had time to do, as a result.

There is a strong sense of community among the students here, but we are a class of ~240 people. Obviously, I don't know everybody else in the class. Naturally, because we are subdivided into colleges, and then sub-subdivided into small groups, you get to know your small groupmates and your collegemates a little better during schooltime (the carrels are organized by college,) but that doesn't cause people to form cliques. Most students spend a lot of time hanging out outside of school/studying (much more time than I do!) The de facto job of our class Vice Presidents seems to be setting up social events for the class.

I had heard all of the rumors of cutthroat-ness and ultra-competitiveness, but from where I am sitting, there is absolutely no truth to them all.

Oh yeah, before I forget (someone will ask): Biochemistry IS curved (20% As, 30% B+s, 30% Bs, 20% Cs.) I thought this was a big deal when I was a premed, but no one really cares once they start school. It is the only class that I have had so far that is curved, and I have no idea why the Biochemistry faculty do this. Quite honestly, if they used the standard UTSW grading scale (A = 93+, as is used in all of the other classes that I have taken so far) there would've been many fewer As then 20% of the class. Bottom line: Lots of people make a big deal about this as premeds, but it is not really a big deal.

I have to get some sleep (yes, they DO let us MS1s sleep if we want!) but I will check back periodically to answer any other questions that you all have.

Congrats again, and if it isn't obvious already, I think that UTSW is a great school. I am completely happy with my choice, and I think you all should come here too!

Last edited:
Hey guys, current MS1 here, congrats on being accepted to UTSW. Now that the wait is over....truly enjoy the time you have left before med school starts. Also, i wanted to add that i truly love this school. My experience so far has been great. Honestly they TAKE CARE OF YOU HERE. They spoon feed you all the non-medical BS that you have to deal with, and they make sure you have all the sources, teachers, and reasonable time to accomplish that tasks they have assigned. They KNOW what your thinking and their a step ahead in answering it. I have yet to see gunners...i literally have to delete all the emails i get with sources and notes that people share during test time because they fill my inbox. Sports, parties, free food are only some of the things you will see here almost every week. Well, thats my opinion on the matter....obviously.... I really love this school and i am glad i decided to come here.

Good luck in your decision making period and later in your medical career.

PS....if this has not been mentioned yet...you will eventually (closer to starting-summer) get an Unofficial guide to UT Southwestern giving you advice on EVERYTHING for all four years. Made by students and contains books, equipment, and class advice...even good and bad (hard) teachers and what to watch for. So don't worry too much about the details...IT WILL BE SPOON FED TO YOU. Enjoy the time you have ...just keeping checking your emails and mail.

Last edited:
Anybody know if there's an official second look day? Also, will we hear anything from them before the summer?

You will get letters and emails from them with an increasing frequency as you go along (reaches a max in the summer). Eventually they will send you an email early next year (January i think) telling you about coming along for an internal medicine rotation at Parkland as a second look. It is an awesome experience to look ahead and see what you will be doing as a third year. If you don't live too far away or if you just really need to decide on whether to pick this school or another school then i would go ahead and come for that day...times are very flexible for that event. Also, i never did this but i believe that you can eventually email them and ask for a second look or even a third look.

Congrats guys!!! I'm an MS2, and welcome to any questions.

To answer someone's question:
I love the school. We get a great education at a great price, the colleges system does work--I know the people in my college and consider them my friends. My closest friends are actually outside my college and a have a boyfriend in a different year. Through colleges, classes, and lunch talks I've met probably a hundred faculty members over the two years (especially 2nd year) without going out of my way, who would meet with me in a second had I had an interest in their specialty. I enjoy the energy of the school... we all motivate each other to work harder than we thought possible and be good doctors. It's not college, though. People are in all different stages of life and some people are really different from each other, so not everyone hangs out with each other all the time. Plus time is limited... very, very limited 2nd and 3rd year. I think I underestimated my classmates when I first came. A lot of people are interesting and unique.

Also, if anyone wants a copy of the AMSA Unofficial Guide to UTSW, pm me your email, I have last years in PDF form.

EDIT: I've sent out a couple of the unofficial guides. I just wanted to point out that it was entirely student made aka we support each other. :D

Last edited:
Do we get a more comprehensive acceptance packet later?

Hey everyone! I'm not 100% sure that I'm going to be at UTSW next year, but it's sitting pretty high on my list right now!

I guess I just wanted to stop by and officially make a post on the class of 2013 thread :D

Not really. When MS0 day rolls around, you will get a lot more stuff (if you don't go to MS0 day, they will send you the packet of stuff,) but nothing else, IIRC, until then.

What's MS0 day? Is it a second-look thing/event?

Hey guys, congrats on getting in.

I'm here to make some money in case any of y'all will be looking at apartments near the med center :D . There is a $500 bonus to any resident that refers a new occupant which I will gladly split with you if you decide to move here and list me as a reference.

Anyways, the apartment complex I live in is Cityville and I'd be glad to let you see my apartment if you decide to come up to visit. I'll aslo be happy to give you an objective opinion of the complex or answer any questions you have.

If you have any questions about the school, feel free to ask!

hey everyone, congrats on getting accepted here. if you have questions feel free to ask, though the ms1/2's here probably know more about the preclinical years since the school might've changed a few things, and I'm a 3rd year toughing it out on the wards.

Just found this page and wanted to make my first post here. I'm probably 80% sure I'm coming here next year and I am really excited! I'm OOS but i've loved my visits to Texas so far. Has everyone else been getting a bunch of emails from UTSW (about 6 from your interviewers and others in administration)? I assume I'm not unique on this one, but all the attention sure does make me want to come here more!

Just found this page and wanted to make my first post here. I'm probably 80% sure I'm coming here next year and I am really excited! I'm OOS but i've loved my visits to Texas so far. Has everyone else been getting a bunch of emails from UTSW (about 6 from your interviewers and others in administration)? I assume I'm not unique on this one, but all the attention sure does make me want to come here more!

I agree. This is nice that they care so much! :thumbup:

Do any of the current UTSW students know if there is any possibility that the curriculum might be revised very soon?

Do any of the current UTSW students know if there is any possibility that the curriculum might be revised very soon?

Umm wasn't the curriculum just revised with the implementation of the colleges?

I also remembered when I was visiting that there were a lot of buildings under construction. Are any of these going to be finished within the next couple of years?

What kind of revisions are you hoping for? Minor revisions seem to be made nearly ever year.

If you're hoping for a massive change to something like a PBL curriculum, it's not going to happen anytime soon. The schedule you see now is most likely going to stay the same. One of the major changes for our class was that immunology was pushed into first year as opposed to second year.

What kind of revisions are you hoping for? Minor revisions seem to be made nearly ever year.

If you're hoping for a massive change to something like a PBL curriculum, it's not going to happen anytime soon. The schedule you see now is most likely going to stay the same. One of the major changes for our class was that immunology was pushed into first year as opposed to second year.

I just remember reading somewhere that UTSW contemplated on switching to a P/F system. Is this purely rumor?

Does anyone know if more is required to keep our acceptance than just finishing the prerequisites? I have a bad case of senioritis and I'm hoping that my current classes don't matter at this point.

Does anyone know if more is required to keep our acceptance than just finishing the prerequisites? I have a bad case of senioritis and I'm hoping that my current classes don't matter at this point.
I'll know what you mean! I've heard from several sources (including an advisor at my health professions office) that as long as you don't fail any classes or get arrested, there's pretty much nothing you can do that will result in your acceptance being revoked. Some med schools tell accepted applicants to "maintain your current GPA", but my understanding is that this expectation is never enforced.

I also remembered when I was visiting that there were a lot of buildings under construction. Are any of these going to be finished within the next couple of years?

The only building under construction is in Children's hospital... which you will see for 6 wks 3rd year (or more if you want to do pediatrics). It will be finished within the year.

I just remember reading somewhere that UTSW contemplated on switching to a P/F system. Is this purely rumor?

There was a discussion of grading policy two years ago. Nothing happened because no consensus was reached.

In a week there is going to be a school-wide conference to discuss the grading policy again. It's almost impossible that the grades would be changed so drastically from letter grades to pass-fail. They'll be discussing little things that could change like the percentage of your grade third year that should come from evaluations versus end of the rotation written tests. Nothing is going to be approved unless there is a consensus from the students.

In terms of scheduling changes that someone asked about... each year minor things are changed based on student input. Student input is really taken seriously here.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, how has the US News Ranking of UTSW changed (or not changed) over the years?

Oh and another question, are the lectures videotaped?

I've heard that lectures in second year are videotaped while lectures in first year are audiotaped.
In first year, the lectures are audiotaped, and the slides are put up with the mp3s of the lectures. Trust me, it's just like being there (except I dont actually have to be on campus at 9 am :) )

I think the lectures are videotaped for 2nd year, but audiotaped or videotaped really doesn't matter to me as long as I have the slides.

Just out of curiosity, how has the US News Ranking of UTSW changed (or not changed) over the years?
US News Rankings:

From 2007: Baylor = 9, UTSW = 19
From 2008: Baylor = 13, UTSW = 22, UT-Houston = 55, UTMB = 55

I don't remember UT-H and UTMB's rankings from 2007, and I couldn't quickly find them on US News's web page. No other TX schools rank.

Looks like US News found some reason to not like TX schools from 2007 to 2008 (if you think that these ranking are really meaningful :) )

Along with Children's Hospital, a biotechnology park for biotech companies started by UTSW is underway..the first of four buildings should be done by next year.

http://www.utsouthwestern.edu/utsw/cda/dept353744/files/487934.html

The second half of the massive north campus research buildings is starting with the construction of its' 7th (or so) 14-story research building. When it is all completed, north campus should be twice as big as it is now (which is already ridiculously huge).

The University Hospitals (St. Paul and Zale Lipshy) will also be replaced in the next 5 or so years, but details on that are less available.

http://www.utsystem.edu/news/clips/dailyclips/2006/0212-0218/UTSystem-DBJ-Growth-021306.pdf

I drive by the construction of these buildings pretty much every day and its always amazing to see how much and how fast they're building these things. It's a truly exciting time to be here!

Nicee thanks for the comprehensive answers!!

Does anybody know if the Med Park apartments are furnished, as in have furniture?

Does anybody know if the Med Park apartments are furnished, as in have furniture?

Nope, they're just standard apartments with a microwave, stovetop, dishwasher, and a washer & dryer. But that's all.

Does anyone know how good fin aid is at UTSW?
I got the $1000 scholarship since I am OOS, but is the rest of the money that UTSW has only for the IS students?

Two questions for Southwestern students:

1. What is student parking like on campus? Is all parking in garages and can those who own trucks manage parking ok?

2. I heard gross anatomy has only a mid-term and final. It seems like that's A LOT of material to cover in only two tests. Did you guys find this to be a problem?