Premed Nurses: Roll Call!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CrazyPremed

Tearin' it up in the ICU
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought that there was a thread in here with nurses who plan to apply to medical school. I couldn't find it, so I started a new one!

Tell us about yourself and represent!

I'm currently working in a ICU at a teaching hospital and am trying this premed thing again. Wish me luck!

Anyone else?

CrazyPremed

Members don't see this ad.

Am I the only one?

Whew! Less competition for me...:laugh:

CrazyPremed

Come on... I know you are out there!

good luck!
former nursing student (worked in telemetry about 6mos before starting grad school:) now 2nd year med student. Ask me any questions, I would be glad to help.

Members don't see this ad :)
good luck!
former nursing student (worked in telemetry about 6mos before starting grad school:) now 2nd year med student. Ask me any questions, I would be glad to help.

I have a question. What made you want to be a doctor instead of a nurse?

Hmmm...We seem to be thinking alike. I have become somewhat weak to my sisters' pressure and now I want to go to med school after nursing college. My two sisters are docotors and they are always pressuring me to be like them. I have a PhD in pharmacology but I just cannot stop myself from attending school. The more I study is the more excited I become about school. Isn't this sad? I think this is an obsession that needs to stop. At my age I should be enjoying life to the fullest. The good thing is, I do not have to study very hard to make good grades. I read my text books very fast but very thorough and I retain things well. I think I have a photographic memory. If I get something that I have read in the books on the test I know the page and I can say exactly where it can be found. Ism't this a miracle? God is good.

Currently working in Occupational Health at a research facility. (No research experience myself).Applying this cycle. Good luck to you.

I thought that there was a thread in here with nurses who plan to apply to medical school. I couldn't find it, so I started a new one!

I'm currently working in a ICU at a teaching hospital and am trying this premed thing again. Wish me luck!

Anyone else?

CrazyPremed

Good luck. I know several like you who are MD or PA students and you will succeed during clinical years. The prep fratenrity/sorority types will resent you and do better on exams, but you will be so far better than your peers when you start clinical rotations.

Am I the only one?

Whew! Less competition for me...:laugh:

CrazyPremed

Come on... I know you are out there!

yeah there are more for sure. i'm a nurse working half time in two different icu units at a teaching hospital. thought i wanted to do CRNA for the past seven years but realized so does everyone else. kinda made me mad at first, hearing all these pre nursing students who have no clue what nursing anesthesia is, get dollar signs in their eyes and profess their love for CRNA. anyway, i want increase my education and decided med school might be a better fit. leaning towards DO, but still considering MD and depending on the day, even podiatry. i have two other friends in the same boat as me, we are definately not alone :)

Holla...lol former biochemistry major gone to pre-nursing

A little reverse... Graduated pre-med, ditched the idea of Med school, now an RN to start CRNA school this year. How bout them apples.

BSN student here. Nursing school is way tougher than I thought it would be. I was a former Biology: Pre-med major who went into Nursing because I attended one of these Med School Open Houses and the Admissions Director said he has great respect for nurses who wish to enter Med school. As a Biology pre-med, I had zero clinical/shadowing experience so I thought nursing would be a good pre-med. Looks like we do a lot of busywork, however with these sh*tty nursing diagnoses and careplans. "Disturbed energy field"--seriously??? :(

Anyway, I plan on graduating to get my BSN, pass the NCLEX, land a night shift job either at a Med Surg floor or somewhere similar and at the same time review for the MCAT while taking my remaining Org Chem, Genetics+Immunology [I know this is not required for Med School, but my ex advisor says they do help once you get there], and my last Physics class at my university. I want to earn a bit and save up for the expenses, too, because I sure as hell know my parents aren't going to help me pay for it!

I've got two more semesters to go—three, if you include this one—and I am excited for what the future holds.

Nursing professors hate hearing that you plan on getting an MD, so I keep my mouth shut and tell them I plan on getting a "doctorate" in the future. :laugh: I also plan on shutting up about being an RN when I get to Med school as well... I hear people are going to hate you for it.

I was thinking about that also
but then I read about that :
"Is Nursing/Pre-nursing/Physician Assistant a good pre-med major?

No! These are absolutely off limits if you can help it. It shows a lack of commitment in your desire to be a doctor. Basically it tells the admissions committee that your back up is to go into this field, rather than being willing to improve yourself and reapplying next year. For this and probably other reasons, adcoms seem to have a serious dislike, and if you get an interview they will definitely ask you about this and your commitment to medicine."

What do you think about that? :confused:

I was thinking about that also
but then I read about that :
"Is Nursing/Pre-nursing/Physician Assistant a good pre-med major?

No! These are absolutely off limits if you can help it. It shows a lack of commitment in your desire to be a doctor. Basically it tells the admissions committee that your back up is to go into this field, rather than being willing to improve yourself and reapplying next year. For this and probably other reasons, adcoms seem to have a serious dislike, and if you get an interview they will definitely ask you about this and your commitment to medicine."

What do you think about that? :confused:

IMO i disagree, an undergrad degree in nursing doesnt show the adcom that nursing is a backup, nor does it show that nursing will hinder your motivation to improve on any area of your application that is lacking if admission were not granted. IMO, an undergrad degree in nursing shows your dedication to healthcare and your interest in patient care. I'm not on any adcoms, so i dont know how they think, but i would have absolutely no issue in explaining how nursing influenced me to continue my education and fueled my desire to learn more and apply for med school. i personally know four attending (MD) anesthesiologist who were nurses before becoming physicians and they all said nursing was a great undergrad degree to get. Each of them went to different med schools, but each said there were a handful of other nurses in their programs.
in my case, i only recently decided i would want to go to med school so its not like i have wanted to be a physician all along, but got a degree in nursing as a backup. Nursing has been a great preparation with lots of pertinent education and hands on experience. There is not any other degree out there which would help people become better acquainted first hand with the roles and responsibilities of a physician (including internships and residencies) than nursing. Any nurse still interested in becoming a physician even after seeing the hours they work and problems associated with the position, should be considered a serious applicant for med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nursing professors hate hearing that you plan on getting an MD, so I keep my mouth shut and tell them I plan on getting a "doctorate" in the future. :laugh: I also plan on shutting up about being an RN when I get to Med school as well... I hear people are going to hate you for it.

Get over yourself.

Last edited:
By the way do you need to be licensed in nursing and pass NCLEX in order to get in med school
or the diploma of bachelor in nursing will be enough?

By the way do you need to be licensed in nursing and pass NCLEX in order to get in med school
or the diploma of bachelor in nursing will be enough?

no... but why get the BSN and not get some $$$ outta it?

Hey all! So, here's my story. Finishing my last semester of a BSc in Biology. Applied to med school this cycle in my hometown in Alberta, Canada. Didn't get in (not even a stinking interview). Going back to uni this fall to do a 2-year accelerated nursing program. My thoughts were that if I want to re-apply to med after two years, great! If not, then I have a kick-ass career in nursing instead. :)

Running a bit late to post here but I'll just post here anyway.
Well, I'm doing nursing at the moment at the local college with an associate degree at the end. I'll take my BSN at the state university after I'm done, and probably take a post baccalaureate premed program after my BSN, which I believe will all be done by the time I'm 23 to 24. After all that, medical school is in my sights.

I"m still a second year nursing student by the way. :)

Don't bother with a BSN then. Just finish your bachelor's in a science field, taking pre-med courses.

I have heard a lot of people say don't do the Pre-Med nursing route because it will kill your GPA. My daughter is seriously considering the Pre-Med Nursing major at Creighton Univ. She has always wanted to a doctor. She feels that the clinical experience will help her in the short and long run should she decide to pursue the md route. She currently is a senior at a all girls prep school. Very demanding program and has done well. I don't know much about the nursing program though. It will take her 5 years to get out. Is it worth it? Will it have an impact on her GPA? She has her goal and wants to work as a nurse for about a year or two before making the transition. Is this a good path to take? I have heard a lot of negatives. What do you guys think?

Personally, I think that if her goal is an MD, then she should take a degree program that will allow her to get good grades and fulfill med school entrance requirements/recommended courses. That may not necessarily be a nursing program, since many nursing programs don't include some science courses that are required for application to medical school. She should just be aware that in doing a nursing program, she may need to take supplemental courses to fulfill all the requirements for application to med school.

However, if she is on the fence - ie. do I want to be a nurse, or do I want to be a physician? - then maybe a nursing program might be a good way for her to figure things out. She could get similar clinical experience by volunteering or physician shadowing, though.

Premed nurse here :) I have wanted to be a physician my whole life. When I was in my first semester of college, I found out I was pregnant and went into nursing. I love being an RN. I have learned so much and really wouldn't trade my experiance. After finishing up my BSN, I was kind of at a crossroads and decided it would be worth it to go for my dream. I do not think that means I am "indecisive" or "not dedicated" to medicine. It just shows that I will go for my goal no matter what. I would suggest anyone just go straight through to a premed degree and on to med school. If I would have had that option I would have done it. But, the knowledge I have gained I will always carry with me. It is actually the physicians I work with who pushed me to go for my dream. I am excited. I will be finishing my classes next spring, MCAT next summer, then applications. I am very excited! Still working full time as an RN in the local ER, and plan to until I start med school.

Premed nurse here :) I have wanted to be a physician my whole life. When I was in my first semester of college, I found out I was pregnant and went into nursing. I love being an RN. I have learned so much and really wouldn't trade my experiance. After finishing up my BSN, I was kind of at a crossroads and decided it would be worth it to go for my dream. I do not think that means I am "indecisive" or "not dedicated" to medicine. It just shows that I will go for my goal no matter what. I would suggest anyone just go straight through to a premed degree and on to med school. If I would have had that option I would have done it. But, the knowledge I have gained I will always carry with me. It is actually the physicians I work with who pushed me to go for my dream. I am excited. I will be finishing my classes next spring, MCAT next summer, then applications. I am very excited! Still working full time as an RN in the local ER, and plan to until I start med school.
Good for you. I have been thinking about med school lately.

However, if she is on the fence - ie. do I want to be a nurse, or do I want to be a physician? - then maybe a nursing program might be a good way for her to figure things out. She could get similar clinical experience by volunteering or physician shadowing, though.

As ridiculous as I think nursing school is - no. Not even I will go that far. Volunteering and shadowing are not similar clinical experiences to going through nursing school. That's ridiculous.

Good for you. I have been thinking about med school lately.

I'm curious, what was your undergraduate degree in? What made you decide to pursue the Pharm.D? What don't you like about it that made you turn to nursing school? What about nursing and pharmacy don't you like that makes you want to turn to medical school?

CrazyPremed

I'll join you on this one.

MICU RN finishing up studying for the MCAT, getting my LOR's in line, and applying this summer.

Why am I going medicine?
...find your own topic for your PS. ;)

As ridiculous as I think nursing school is - no. Not even I will go that far. Volunteering and shadowing are not similar clinical experiences to going through nursing school. That's ridiculous.

It is not ridiculous. If she wants to be a doctor, then she should get clinical experience with doctors! Shadowing, ER volunteering, etc. My point was that nursing school would not be good clinical experience for someone who wants to be a physician, since the two professions are different, with different scopes of practice, responsibilities, knowledge, etc. I realize that volunteering in the ER for three hours a week is not the same as attending nursing school. I didn't say that it was.

I still think that working as a RN will better prepare you for the clinicals of medical school than shadowing or volunteering will...

She could get similar clinical experience by volunteering or physician shadowing, though.

You likened clinical experience gained from volunteering/shadowing with clinical experience gained in a nursing program. Maybe you had unusual volunteering/shadowing experiences involving intensive patient contact where you were allowed to perform a lot of skills (assessments, catheters, etc). Maybe you grossly underestimate what happens during nursing clinicals. It doesn't matter. The comparison is ridiculous.

This is my first time writing a thread.

I am a premed, currently working at Tele floor as a RN. =D

Well, I am a nursing instructor, and I would be supportive of your decision...Most other instructors would as well...

I've spoken to several nursing students about considering med school (those that are thinking nursing isn't for them); I've turned some on to this site

your statement just fuels the BS myths that exist...

and I know many docs that were RNs, and none were ever "hated" in med school...

please

Last edited:
My story: I always wanted to go to medical school. Went to get my BSN for the experience and closeness an RN gets with patients to build my emotional/psychosocial/psychological/medical skills. I always figured that a biology degree is teaching you, well, biology and what better way to be a doctor than to train and spend your time being with patients for 12 hours at a time? A nurse!

So, I took the general chemistry instead of the joke introductory that is required at my school. I applied and got into the honors college, I took Calculus instead of the lowest possible (again required). I also TA'd an anatomy lab. All of these changes were PRIOR to starting nursing school.

Once in nursing school, I looked at EVERYTHING from a medical perspective. It's amazing how much nurses are REQUIRED to know provided a motivated student. I say motivated because most of my peers didn't read to 'know' more or to be the best RN and just got by with C's or B's if they could. An 'A' student and a just-barely-passing 'C' student would be profoundly distinct in their medical and nursing knowledge and skills.

I would have to say a BSN is a more difficult pre-med degree than traditional ones. This is due in part to the nursing grading scale being scaled up (85-93 = A). Not to mention the nature of the program of clinicals on top of classes, etc.

However, I would HIGHTLY recommend nursing, ESPECIALLY the BSN route as a pre-med major. I would fill in the BCPM courses in the summers, work a year after you graduate to get REAL experience, and then apply to medical school. This is the route I took except I externed my summers and will have 2 years of experience prior to applying.

The experiences I have gained as an RN in the Neuro ICU are invaluable. It also depends on how you looked at things in nursing school. I paid close attention and studied hard to the medical aspects more so than the others, which I believe is the true reward if you are RN pre-med (next to the clinical experience). I feel like I have a fairly good and broad handle on internal medicine with a strong point in neuro ;) I personally think that going to medical school NOW will expand my knowledge and make me a much better provider to my patients than I otherwise could be.

In terms of anyone 'hating' you for being an RN is a flat out joke and lie. Most of the traditional route students in my BCPM classes always comment, I wish I would have done something like that knowing what I know now! I know numerous MD's and DO's who were RN's prior and they all recommend it. I also remember reading a survey somewhere that 85% of RN's get into medical school. :)

I apply and take my MCAT this summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my pediatric clinical with a doctor who had been 30 years in the business, he and his MD staff of 6 found my skills to be "above 3rd year Dartmouth residents' skills". I was somewhat surprised as I had no gauge with which to compare my nurse practitioner student abilities with MD students. However, the medical director attributed my abilities and experience to my having been an RN for many years. Similarly, when on a clinical rotation at a state psychiatric hospital, I presented cases along with other medical students. My presentations compared favorably with any of the medical students and my interpretations or analysis compared favorably in discussions on their presentations. The medical director encouraged me to apply after graduation.

In answer to being "hated" in medical school if one has a history of being an RN...I find it disturbing if such bias is still going on with the "us and them" attitude between medicine and nursing. I would advise such haters to read "Blink" by Malcolm Gladwell and How Doctors Think" by Jerome Groupman and as well "After Harm: Medical Error and the Ethics of Forgiveness" by Nancy Berlinger. Patient safety can ill afford poor relations leading to poor communication between medicine and nursing. When it is all about us, it is no longer about the patient...the patient has to be central. What kind of practitioner would size up a situation in a moment and "hate" a whole group of people based on their choice of profession? Such lack of empathy, compassion, understanding for other people's choice of profession and the position of exclusivity against nurses...well, such a soldier should be drummed out of the regiment before doing any further harm.

As commitment to primary care and family practice becomes less in medicine, nurse practitioners are going to keep filling the spaces. NPs will continue to provide excellent patient care with compassion and respect. I would not want a doctor who was so ashamed of whanting to be a doctor she could not speak of it in nursing school and so ashamed of nursing she could not speak of it in med school. Re-think these assumptions...none of these ideas have anything to do with patient centered care. It is all about self.

I'm a premed nurse too!!

But this got me thinking. For all of you out there who are about to go the promised land of medical school, I have a question.

How did you juggle the obstacle of having to take the NCLEX-RN exam and the MCAT almost at the same time?

I'm assuming that you're suppose to take the MCAT while at your junior or senior year at the same time you're about to take the NCLEX-RN exam.

I am going to guess that most pre-med nurses were RNs before they started pursuing the medical school route. Most didn't apply to medical school during their junior/senior years of their BSN programs. Plus, if you were going to go that route, there would be no point in taking the NCLEX since you aren't going to work as an RN anyways.

In my pediatric clinical with a doctor who had been 30 years in the business, he and his MD staff of 6 found my skills to be "above 3rd year Dartmouth residents' skills". I was somewhat surprised as I had no gauge with which to compare my nurse practitioner student abilities with MD students. However, the medical director attributed my abilities and experience to my having been an RN for many years. Similarly, when on a clinical rotation at a state psychiatric hospital, I presented cases along with other medical students. My presentations compared favorably with any of the medical students and my interpretations or analysis compared favorably in discussions on their presentations. The medical director encouraged me to apply after graduation.

In answer to being "hated" in medical school if one has a history of being an RN...I find it disturbing if such bias is still going on with the "us and them" attitude between medicine and nursing. I would advise such haters to read "Blink" by Malcolm Gladwell and How Doctors Think" by Jerome Groupman and as well "After Harm: Medical Error and the Ethics of Forgiveness" by Nancy Berlinger. Patient safety can ill afford poor relations leading to poor communication between medicine and nursing. When it is all about us, it is no longer about the patient...the patient has to be central. What kind of practitioner would size up a situation in a moment and "hate" a whole group of people based on their choice of profession? Such lack of empathy, compassion, understanding for other people's choice of profession and the position of exclusivity against nurses...well, such a soldier should be drummed out of the regiment before doing any further harm.

As commitment to primary care and family practice becomes less in medicine, nurse practitioners are going to keep filling the spaces. NPs will continue to provide excellent patient care with compassion and respect. I would not want a doctor who was so ashamed of whanting to be a doctor she could not speak of it in nursing school and so ashamed of nursing she could not speak of it in med school. Re-think these assumptions...none of these ideas have anything to do with patient centered care. It is all about self.
>
See post #14

My story: I always wanted to go to medical school. Went to get my BSN for the experience and closeness an RN gets with patients to build my emotional/psychosocial/psychological/medical skills. I always figured that a biology degree is teaching you, well, biology and what better way to be a doctor than to train and spend your time being with patients for 12 hours at a time? A nurse!

So, I took the general chemistry instead of the joke introductory that is required at my school. I applied and got into the honors college, I took Calculus instead of the lowest possible (again required). I also TA'd an anatomy lab. All of these changes were PRIOR to starting nursing school.

Once in nursing school, I looked at EVERYTHING from a medical perspective. It's amazing how much nurses are REQUIRED to know provided a motivated student. I say motivated because most of my peers didn't read to 'know' more or to be the best RN and just got by with C's or B's if they could. An 'A' student and a just-barely-passing 'C' student would be profoundly distinct in their medical and nursing knowledge and skills.

I would have to say a BSN is a more difficult pre-med degree than traditional ones. This is due in part to the nursing grading scale being scaled up (85-93 = A). Not to mention the nature of the program of clinicals on top of classes, etc.

However, I would HIGHTLY recommend nursing, ESPECIALLY the BSN route as a pre-med major. I would fill in the BCPM courses in the summers, work a year after you graduate to get REAL experience, and then apply to medical school. This is the route I took except I externed my summers and will have 2 years of experience prior to applying.

The experiences I have gained as an RN in the Neuro ICU are invaluable. It also depends on how you looked at things in nursing school. I paid close attention and studied hard to the medical aspects more so than the others, which I believe is the true reward if you are RN pre-med (next to the clinical experience). I feel like I have a fairly good and broad handle on internal medicine with a strong point in neuro ;) I personally think that going to medical school NOW will expand my knowledge and make me a much better provider to my patients than I otherwise could be.

In terms of anyone 'hating' you for being an RN is a flat out joke and lie. Most of the traditional route students in my BCPM classes always comment, I wish I would have done something like that knowing what I know now! I know numerous MD's and DO's who were RN's prior and they all recommend it. I also remember reading a survey somewhere that 85% of RN's get into medical school. :)

I apply and take my MCAT this summer.

Good post...Where did you read the survey from....I was told by many the opposite!

I have heard a lot of people say don't do the Pre-Med nursing route because it will kill your GPA. My daughter is seriously considering the Pre-Med Nursing major at Creighton Univ. She has always wanted to a doctor. She feels that the clinical experience will help her in the short and long run should she decide to pursue the md route. She currently is a senior at a all girls prep school. Very demanding program and has done well. I don't know much about the nursing program though. It will take her 5 years to get out. Is it worth it? Will it have an impact on her GPA? She has her goal and wants to work as a nurse for about a year or two before making the transition. Is this a good path to take? I have heard a lot of negatives. What do you guys think?
it kills gpa, because your not use to the critical thinking, Im getting out of nursing this semester, it's not for me. I just hate letting down my nursing professors, they're so nice =/.

Anyone else?

CrazyPremed

Hi! I am an NP working as an NP for 3 years and am now premed. I plan to matriculate in 2013. I am taking one course per semester currently. I decided to make the jump due to desire for complete autonomy and thirst for more knowledge of medicine to help me do a more thorough job with my patients. I am also so disappointed at the reading some venomous attacks about NP's and midlevel providers in general on this website. I never dreamed that despite achieving some level of success with my masters in nursing that my career choice would be so looked down upon by some. Having said that I have encountered nothing but much respect from the patients I see day to day. When I finally do become a doctor I will have no problem working with NP's or PA's. I believe they contribute much and are needed.

Hi Im also a nurse taking the MD route. But Im far behind u guys. Im a new grad from an ADN program and I work at a long term facility for dementia pts. I wanted to ask if this would be considered by adcoms in as good a light as med surg in a hospital.

Not me. I'm sick of school and ready to have a life outside of work/school. Plus, at 40 I feel like that train's already left the station. I'll just have to settle for being a kickass nurse!:)

Is nursing a good pre-med degree to aspire to? Let me be clear:

HEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLL NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The subjective nature of nursing (about 65-80%) makes it a GPA killer. If your clinicals are graded (like mine are) vs. pass/fail, you know you are in for a hellish ride.

My medical/surgical theory profs were also my clinical leaders for hospital. They cannot touch you in class b/c the tests are multiple choice. However, if you are good at exposing intimidating profs and their abject lack of medical knowledge outside of their Powerpoint presentation,look out. They will take it out on you in clinical because your grade is entirely opinion based. Upon completing my clinical rotation on a medicine floor, my clinical nurse facilitator wanted to give me a B+. She spent over an hour in professor del diablo's office pleading my case. NOPE. Lilith decreed I would get a C+ despite the fact that she has never seen myself in clinical practice.

The basis of objective answers in the sciences at least gives you a fighting chance to dispute marks. The lack of an answer key in nursing courses makes them always right and you never. Intellectual cowardice at its finest. Nurse academics like to veil it in the euphemism of "critical thinking."

But you get so much clinical experience prior.

So? Does that entitle you to a free pass in years 3 and 4??? You will get it in your clerkship. Unlike nursing school, the faculty and staff in med school (at least the one on my campus) are VERY supportive when med students have a question or are unsure. The same situation with a nurse usually warrants the following responses: "go look it up", "didn't you come prepared", "is your care safe?", "we'll need to talk after clinical." ****ers.

Anyways, i stand by my position statement. Just remember that nursing and medicine/surgery are two vastly different areas of "care" (you can extend that philosophy to the treatment of students as well ;) ) .

The subjective nature of nursing (about 65-80%) makes it a GPA killer. If your clinicals are graded (like mine are) vs. pass/fail, you know you are in for a hellish ride.

My medical/surgical theory profs were also my clinical leaders for hospital. They cannot touch you in class b/c the tests are multiple choice. However, if you are good at exposing intimidating profs and their abject lack of medical knowledge outside of their Powerpoint presentation,look out. They will take it out on you in clinical because your grade is entirely opinion based. Upon completing my clinical rotation on a medicine floor, my clinical nurse facilitator wanted to give me a B+. She spent over an hour in professor del diablo's office pleading my case. NOPE. Lilith decreed I would get a C+ despite the fact that she has never seen myself in clinical practice.

The basis of objective answers in the sciences at least gives you a fighting chance to dispute marks. The lack of an answer key in nursing courses makes them always right and you never. Intellectual cowardice at its finest. Nurse academics like to veil it in the euphemism of "critical thinking."

So? Does that entitle you to a free pass in years 3 and 4??? You will get it in your clerkship. Unlike nursing school, the faculty and staff in med school (at least the one on my campus) are VERY supportive when med students have a question or are unsure. The same situation with a nurse usually warrants the following responses: "go look it up", "didn't you come prepared", "is your care safe?", "we'll need to talk after clinical." ****ers.

Anyways, i stand by my position statement. Just remember that nursing and medicine/surgery are two vastly different areas of "care" (you can extend that philosophy to the treatment of students as well ;) ) .

Well done. I totally agree with everything, especially the subjective, vindictive nature of clinical instructors. They are an unprofessional bunch. Pre-nursing/pre-med students, beware!

I'm a premed nurse too!!

But this got me thinking. For all of you out there who are about to go the promised land of medical school, I have a question.

How did you juggle the obstacle of having to take the NCLEX-RN exam and the MCAT almost at the same time?

I'm assuming that you're suppose to take the MCAT while at your junior or senior year at the same time you're about to take the NCLEX-RN exam.

A friend of mine and i planned to take it the summer before senior year. She did, i didn't. So she took the MCAT a year before she took the nclex. I didn't study for the nclex. If you studied enough to make A's in nursing school, work overtime days before the nclex and have your nephew not give you any peace of mind and drive to the test center a little late and you'll still pass with 75 question. Just know your stuff so you don't have to cram in the end. You're not required to take the mcat b4 graduation. you can take it after or whenever you want. Just make sure you're prepared for it.

Hi :)

RN as well. Grad 2007. Work in ICU. Taking premed classes now. to see my story, click here...

good luck to all of you...lets stay in touch and keep up the support!

I think nurses going into medicine is cool as I'm all for non-traditional applicants. although I wouldn't suggest someone who knows they want to be a doctor complete a BSN. theres a difference between an ER or ICU RN with 10 years+ experience compared to someone fresh out of a BSN, I dont think the skills or knowledge gained from the degree alone are worth the GPA risk or weird looks from adcoms. all the things youll learn from the degree alone will be covered and surpassed in medical school so it isn't necessary. I'm doing a respiratory therapy degree for my bachelors though because I need to be able to put food on the table if medical school doesn't work out. Ive heard that adcoms don't like people from other fields of allied health but remember there are more important things than getting into medical school :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 user
I think nurses going into medicine is cool as I'm all for non-traditional applicants. although I wouldn't suggest someone who knows they want to be a doctor complete a BSN. theres a difference between an ER or ICU RN with 10 years+ experience compared to someone fresh out of a BSN, I dont think the skills or knowledge gained from the degree alone are worth the GPA risk or weird looks from adcoms. all the things youll learn from the degree alone will be covered and surpassed in medical school so it isn't necessary. I'm doing a respiratory therapy degree for my bachelors though because I need to be able to put food on the table if medical school doesn't work out. Ive heard that adcoms don't like people from other fields of allied health but remember there are more important things than getting into medical school :rolleyes:

It's not that they don't like them, they just aren't impressed. If you were doing it to put on your app (which clearly you're not) then you would be better served doing a more "traditional" pre-med degree and spend your summer with habitat for humanity, or "insert other humanitarian type volunteer experience here" instead of nursing, RT, EMS, etc, etc. . .

Well done. I totally agree with everything, especially the subjective, vindictive nature of clinical instructors. They are an unprofessional bunch. Pre-nursing/pre-med students, beware!

You've experienced how many clinical instructors to make this sweeping generalization?

You've experienced how many clinical instructors to make this sweeping generalization?

I still have nightmares about my ICU instructor, and that was 25 years ago. I wish I believed in hell, just so she could rot there.

Since when did this become a hater thread? Take it somewhere else.