those with average stats, when do you get most of your interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XRanger

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
my stats: 3.7, 30Q

I completed most of my schools by august/september. I applied to 25 schools, got rejected from 5 of them (you can see my school list on my mdapp)

I got 2 interviews so far (BU and NYMC), got waitlisted at NYMC but I heard they dont really accept many people from the waitlist so I don't have high hopes for that.

I'm still waiting on liike 18 schools which have been completed way back and still haven't heard on any of them. So those of you who applied before with avg stats, when do you got most of your interview invites?

This whole med school app process isi starting to stress me out that my grade recently dropped which adds to even more stress

Members don't see this ad.

You can check out my MdApps. My stats are very similar. Complete around the same time...No really top schools on my list except OHSU (I'm an Oregon Resident). I got my OHSU and USF interviews in the last two/three weeks I believe. I'm only hanging onto a little bit of hope that the other schools on my list will offer me an interview at this point.

I hear you about the grade drops. About to take my physics final in 5 hours...

31R, 3.8 cGPA. I only have one interview in January that I was invited to a few weeks ago. Other than that, nothing but holds and rejections.

You're definitely not the only one. I think everyone in our position is just walking on egg shells at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
what are you guys talking about, your gpas are all ok. i have a below average gpa, have had 3 interviews and still got one to schedule. i'm holding out for two top ones, but not sure if it'll happen. but i'm still hoping

my stats: 3.7, 30Q

I completed most of my schools by august/september. I applied to 25 schools, got rejected from 5 of them (you can see my school list on my mdapp)

I got 2 interviews so far (BU and NYMC), got waitlisted at NYMC but I heard they dont really accept many people from the waitlist so I don't have high hopes for that.

I'm still waiting on liike 18 schools which have been completed way back and still haven't heard on any of them. So those of you who applied before with avg stats, when do you got most of your interview invites?

This whole med school app process isi starting to stress me out that my grade recently dropped which adds to even more stress

It's still early in the application cycle. If you applied uber early, the cycle is going to be long for you. If you were writing what you wrote above in February or March, I would be less optimistic for you but in early December my advice is to chill if you are on a waitlist. Waitlist means you have a chance at acceptance and this early, you have a good chance at acceptance.

Many schools are still wading through applications at this point. You may have applied to many of those "wading" schools. You have interviews and you have a waitlist. There are plenty of people who have nothing (even those who applied very, very early). If you applied to schools that have thousands of applications (my two had the number of applicants increase significantly this year over last), then they are still processing.

A better strategy would be to work on your Plan B. Plan B is what you will do if you don't get into medical school. It always works out that the more specific and complete your Plan B, the less chance that you will ever have to use it. If nothing else, it will take your mind off the process.

Also, nothing that you have "heard" makes any difference at this point. Base your actions on what you "know" and what you "know" is that you have a waitlist (not the same as a rejection) and that you don't have rejection letters from those other schools which means that you are still under consideration. Finally, stay away from SDN if it's playing with your head and your grades.

i don't know anything about anything, but from the sounds of it many people who had much 'higher stats' than yours didn't even get interviews at BU, so you should be optimistic because you have something that is going for you, i wouldn't get down on myself yet.

I completed at most of my schools in august (a few earlier and a few later). I have a bit higher MCAT but a lower gpa than you. I've interviewed at three been rejected from four and have yet to hear from 10.

Yesterday I got an interview invite from a school I completed at in mid JULY. I thought it was going to be a rejection for sure. Just hold out. Like the above posters said...still early(ish)

3.6, 31N, submitted apps mid-to-late August, MCAT released early September. I have 4 invites currently, received in about a 6-week span from late September to early November. Applied to 20 schools, rejected from 3, held at 2, waiting on 11 more.

I too have very average stats. 3.63 sGPA, 3.66 cGPA, 30S.

Because of my stats, I applied very early. I was complete at all of my schools by mid-august except for one. I have gone on 8 interviews, and just received a ninth yesterday, and have one acceptance (my state school).

Don't give up hope just because you have average stats. Your scores are only average when looking at matriculated students, not applicants. That means that you will mot likely have more interviews and get in somewhere!

Good luck!

It's still early in the application cycle. If you applied uber early, the cycle is going to be long for you. Waitlist means you have a chance at acceptance and this early, you have a good chance at acceptance.

If you applied to schools that have thousands of applications (my two had the number of applicants increase significantly this year over last), then they are still processing.

A better strategy would be to work on your Plan B. Plan B is what you will do if you don't get into medical school.

Also, nothing that you have "heard" makes any difference at this point. Base your actions on what you "know" and what you "know" is that you have a waitlist (not the same as a rejection) and that you don't have rejection letters from those other schools which means that you are still under consideration. Finally, stay away from SDN if it's playing with your head and your grades.

Pretty good advice. Agree with pretty much all that was said.
I'm a reapplicant so I applied uber uber early (like the first week) to a ton of schools (lost count but at least 25)
I'm kinda forgetting, but I know that i've been to at least 7 or 8 interview, 4 acceptances, and turned down like 3 or 4 more interviews. I think I may still go on one more interview just cos I want to visit that city.
Stats: 31S n 3.8ish GPA.
I got most of my interviews in Sept/Oct ( I was flyin around like crazy $:(), but I've had like a dry spell with no news of interview invites for a while now (at least 2 months) apart from this new one in NY. And I think that this 'dry spell' is affecting everybody...
So ya man, not to discourage you or anything, but its still kinda early, dont give up hope yet.
Oh and btw, I hope your school application list was not all more 'prestigious' schools...that was my bad last year..

this is why I applied to DO schools (and have an acceptance:D) I was not going to go through the stress of possibly not getting into med school this year. remember average MD applicant=excellent DO applicant.

I got my interview invites in mid-late October and late November. I'm really hoping to get more in January though. Come on California.... mama needs to stay in the sunshine.

I think my scores are exactly the average for males.

32/3.75

7 interviews, 4 acceptances

my Texas interviews were really early.

the other interviews have been very sparse and typically pretty late (November-February)

3.76 GPA, 28 MCAT

I was accepted at 7 DO schools and 1 MD school (all October or earlier). I received 2 more MD interview invites in November and December.

Best of luck to you!

I had a much much lower GPA (think Caribbean average) and much much higher MCAT (think Harvard average) compared to the OP. 3 interview invites in Sept, 2 in Oct, 4 in Nov, and so far 0 in Dec.

1 of them was a top 5 school, 1 top 20, 2 top 30, 2 top 40, 2 top 60, and 1 unranked.

Complete at the top 5 and top 20 schools in mid Sept. All other schools complete by late July/mid August. I went to a HYPS undergrad and am not URM.

Oh yeah, two acceptances and zero rejects or waitlists from the places I have interviewed at so far. I applied to more than 30 places and have about 10 rejections pre and post-secondary outside of my interviews.

I have similar stats. I've had two interviews and have one coming up. I'm also still waiting on a lot of schools