Pedo Applicants vs Pedo Positions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cold Front

Supreme Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to a 2006 Pediatric Dentistry article (Demographics and quality profile of applicants to pediatric dentistry residencies):

- 278 1st year positions were available as of July, 2005, up 53% from '97.
- 490 pedo applicants applied in 2004 (for 2005 positions), up 31% from '98.

Based on the trend, I am pretty sure few more pedo programs opened up the past 3 years (I know Toledo, Miami, UMC and UW did), plus some existing programs have increased their available positions, so I am guessing there are at least 300 positions available each year by now, and there are at least 500 applicants applying.

So in theory, 3 out of 5 applicants can get in, i.e. 60% chance of getting if you apply. In comparison, last time I checked, getting into dental school was about 1 in 2, or 50%.

Will pedo get easier to get in, in the future? and will there be a point of over supply of pedos if new programs continue to open up?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
With women making up the majority of pedo applicants the private practice pool will never fully saturate. Bearing children and being a mother usually takes over, and while many women are able to work part time it still leaves voids in the working force. It's like everything else...big cities are harder to find jobs, etc.

I just hope that I can get in the more programs the better.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just hope that I can get in the more programs the better.
For this cycle, there are about 330 possible spots available, this count is from the AAPD residency page. Which means they added some 50 more positions since 2005. At this rate, they will reach 400 positions in 5 years. This surely will have effect on the competitive factor.

For this cycle, there are about 330 possible spots available, this count is from the AAPD residency page. Which means they added some 50 more positions since 2005. At this rate, they will reach 400 positions in 5 years. This surely will have effect on the competitive factor.

But only in a strict sense, in other words, in only really works that way if every applicant applies to every program.

The programs that get GME funding--where residents get paid--are always going to be more competitive than ones where you have to pay. So while the numbers may work in the applicants favor, that doesn't mean it will be any easier for an individual applicant to gain admission, especially if they are limiting their applications to a geographic area.