Does having a lazy eye prevent me from becoming a surgeon?

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know SDN is not intended to be medical help forum but this thread doesn't really fall under that category.

Basically I have 20/20 in my right with glasses but my vision in my left is pretty bad. I mean, I can see everything CLEARLY, it's just weak, and it isn't one of those things that can be treated with surgery. I make look into a patch again. But my optometrist said don't both because at my age there is not point.

I actually asked an ER room doc while volunteering and he said that I could definitely become a surgeon with a lazy eye as long as I have on eye that works.

I believe him but I just wanted to ask on here.

Members don't see this ad.

There's surgeons out there with less than a full set of fingers.

Please, please, stop worrying about this sort of stuff.

There's surgeons out there with less than a full set of fingers.

Please, please, stop worrying about this sort of stuff.

Good to know. At risk of flaming, this is actually a pretty good question to ask. If for some reason surgeons had to be like astronauts or commercial pilots, I would never have been able to go into that field.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're going to get a whole bunch of responses here that basically say, "Duh! Of course you can!"

The answer is less simple.

Do you have depth perception?

Yes.

There is one surgeon in my local hospital has bad eye vision.

Then you'll probably be fine.

When it comes to medicine, there is no particular "list of disqualifying conditions". But there are particular functional deficits that will prevent you from being in certain fields.

Some people are able to overcome certain physical disabilities to do what they want. Others will not. However, when you apply to school, they will ask you, "Do you have any condition that might prevent you from fully functioning as a med student/physician?" You will probably need to answer yes.

Okay, that's a relief. I think my left eye is just weak. I will talk to my optometrist. Anymore questions?

Mr.Obama will say, "Yes, we can."

Lmao Tennis!!!!!!!!!!
I dunno Jeff. I think it might be something you might have to overcome, but as long as it doesnt hinder you, i'd think it would all right.

Eh, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I don't see why it would hinder you...

I have no depth perception, and I've sort of accepted the fact that I can't do surgery *shrug*. I think I'll be fine when it comes to laparoscopic procedures because the screen is, by definition, in 2 dimensions, so it shouldn't be a problem. Otherwise, I'll avoid it. Mostly, I'm terrified of anatomy :scared: