***Official University of Maryland BCDS c/o 2013 thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mimesx

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright anyone who is attending in Fall 09 get on here and let us know! It's gonna be sick! I loved this place when I interviewed. The facilities and technology are unmatched. The faculty are friendly, down to earth, and they seem like they really care about their students. I'm stoked to be able to attend University of Maryland for dental school. So people, get on here and tell us about your experience with maryland and why you're going to attend and any questions you have.

Members don't see this ad.

Need to bring this thread back alive...

I'll see you there:)

Count me in! We should start a Facebook group to get to know each other. When are you all planning on moving to Baltimore? I'm trying to decide if I want to get there at the beginning of July, or right before classes start in August.

Members don't see this ad :)
Right now I'm deposited at Maryland, but still waiting on VCU. I love Maryland though! Its more of a cost / location issue for me though. So depending on how these next few months go, I might be joining you in August

congratulation to everyone
when does umb start in summer?

Maryland starts at the beginning of August, but I'm not sure of the exact date. Last year they had orientation on August 4th-6th and classes started August 7th.

Maryland starts at the beginning of August, but I'm not sure of the exact date. Last year they had orientation on August 4th-6th and classes started August 7th.

thanks for the info, this means short summer

Here is the link for the facebook group..i think someone made it a while ago.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=42274636485

Anyway, I think I am going to move down in early-mid July. I want to have a few weeks to check the city out and get comfortable before I have zero time when classes starts!

Count me in! Can't wait! I plan to move to Baltimore end of June-beginning of July, it'll be nice to get acclimated and get to meet everyone :)

I hope to move to Baltimore in the last week of July...as to where in Baltimore, I do not know. I will say that the 750 total rent for a 2 bdrm in Columbus, Ohio is nothing compared to apartments that I have looked at so far in Baltimore.

See all of you there

Any suggestions on where to even start looking for housing?

See all of you there

Any suggestions on where to even start looking for housing?

On Maryland's dental school website go to academics-->current students--> and on the left hand side of the new page there should be a link for housing. They show two university options and then below that there is a link to alternative housing options.

Members don't see this ad :)
I look forward to seeing you guys in the Fall. Has anyone checked out the athletic facilities at Maryland? How's the gym? If any of you guys need a lifting/grappling partner, lemme know!

I am down Maka

2 years Judo
1.5 years no gi BJJ

On Maryland's dental school website go to academics-->current students--> and on the left hand side of the new page there should be a link for housing. They show two university options and then below that there is a link to alternative housing options.

Thanks Buck

Still hoping a Maryland student chimes in with the insider response with where to go and what to stay away from. From what I have experienced those lists aren't always the best deal.

I am down Maka

2 years Judo
1.5 years no gi BJJ

Hey Jake, were you the readhead that interviewed on Feb 18th? I think I spoke to you.

That was me :thumbup:

Glad to see you made it

did any of you receive you financial aid award info Via email today? i followed the directions on how to sign on to surfs but it says there is no financial aid award for me..???

Hey RMpredent,

I just checked mine and it said the same thing. And when I saw that estimated cost for the year......OUCH! It's like 12,000 more than what they estimated at my interview. Scaryness!

BUT, I'm very excited we get to attend an awesome dental school! And since I'll be moving closer to my parents...maybe they'll drop by some weekly casseroles :)

are you in state or out of state? - and they did include a bunch of "estimated" costs such as housing ($15,000) and travel expenses ($1500) so even though I'll probably spend that much on each, at least I can feel better about it not being on the bill haha

Does anyone know where we can find out the budget for next year that they showed during the interview presentation? This budget lists like all the amounts that they allow for different things such as insurance, car repairs, traveling, etc.

did any of you receive you financial aid award info Via email today? i followed the directions on how to sign on to surfs but it says there is no financial aid award for me..???

Yea I got 2 emails... the first said "This is not an award
notification letter.:" in the second sentence. Later in the day I got one titled 2009-2010 UMB Award Letter but it was just details about how to login. I was really excited because I thought I got something but there was nothing there.

Was that the same with you guys?

It did say when I checked under messages after logging on that I have some more forms to fill out like student financial aid entrance questioner for and one other I think.

Yeah i got the same emails...I was so excited that my award letter had come this early because I am out of state and stressssing about this supposed 80 grand that I am forking over each year! I just want to get my loans (and hopefully grants :)) squared away ASAP and not worry about them until I have to pay them back! Maybe I'll call the financial aid office tomorrow and find out when they are actually posting our award offers to SURFS...

Hi RM! I'm out of state. Yeah, I noticed there was like both a transportation and commuting budget in there...which is sort of the same thing? So maybe there will be ways to trim down that budget.

Im debating between UMD and Tufts. I am out of state looking to live off campus I if I decide UMD... does anyone have a rough idea how much it will cost a year at UMD?

they estimated $80,00 total per year out of state (including "room and board" - transportation - laptop - etc etc) Hightly doubt we'll need that much but I guess I'll know more when they send our actual bill

Damn Tufts is the same amount per year, I thought I might save goin to UMD, apparently not...

Yeah i got the same emails...I was so excited that my award letter had come this early because I am out of state and stressssing about this supposed 80 grand that I am forking over each year! I just want to get my loans (and hopefully grants :)) squared away ASAP and not worry about them until I have to pay them back! Maybe I'll call the financial aid office tomorrow and find out when they are actually posting our award offers to SURFS...

Hey I got another one of the UMB Award letter emails and I didnt want to get my hoped up but this time they actuall were posted on my surfs account! Great birthday present!!!:)

Sorry-accidently posted to this thread..

Gah, I should have submitted March 1st ;/. I'm going to take alllll the financial aid they throw at me, and then do Air Force for 3 years. I figure I'll see how much debt I can put on myself in one year :), and live right. Anyways, I look forward to meeting everyone in the fall, I'm sure we'll know each other real well after 4 years.

they estimated $80,00 total per year out of state (including "room and board" - transportation - laptop - etc etc) Hightly doubt we'll need that much but I guess I'll know more when they send our actual bill
I spoke with a lady at the financial aid office this morning (Linda?). Anyway, she told me that the annual budget, ALL costs included, is $87,000 for the coming dental school year as an out-of-state student. That was definitely higher than what we were told at the interview! It should be noted that some allocated money is definitely more than we will need to actually spend, but the estimated budget was quoted at $87K.

I'm still pumped about UMD, but I was hoping that the costs would be closer to $75K-$80K annually. Ahh!

I hope the $87,000 isn't correct...I got the $80,000 figure directly from our financial aid award letter and offer - the 2009 budget is supposedly $81,000 - I wonder where she got the other $6,000.

I hope the $87,000 isn't correct...I got the $80,000 figure directly from our financial aid award letter and offer - the 2009 budget is supposedly $81,000 - I wonder where she got the other $6,000.

Did you get the itemized budget that she showed during the interview? I have been looking all over their website for than I cannot find it anywhere. I have not yet received my fin aid package but I would like to start figuring out what I actually need vs what they are figuring for some of the different expenses.

Does anyone know yet where they are staying next year or does anyone have any idea as to where they would like to stay?

Cost of Attendance Component Amount
Books and Supplies $3,468.00
Board exam fees $220.00
BREAKAGE FEE $1,250.00
Commuting Expense $1,200.00
Central Materials Service $3,873.00
Computer Fees $1,792.00
Fees $1,486.00
Hospitalization Insurance $2,172.00
Instruments $2,369.00
Malpractice Insurance $248.00
Notetaking Service $110.00
Room and Board $15,200.00
Stafford Loan Fees $.00
Transportation $2,000.00
Tuition $45,981.00
Uniforms $205.00
Vaccines $12.00
Total: $81,586.00

I copied and pasted that from the 2009 cost of attendance budget that they posted on my online financial aid offer...im assuming this is the most up to date estimate because they just started sending out award offers last week.

Board exam fees $220.00
BREAKAGE FEE $1,250.00
Computer Fees $1,792.00
Fees $1,486.00
Instruments $2,369.00
Stafford Loan Fees $.00
Transportation $2,000.00
Tuition $45,981.00
Uniforms $205.00
Vaccines $12.00

Thanks alot. Is the Stafford loan fee supposed to be zero?

Hey how long after you got your email did you get your packet? I just moved and I'm worried it was sent to my old house :(

Mine was in my mailbox 4-5 days after the email. Better figure things out because the deadline they gave me was deposit in by April 15th.

Board exam fees $220.00
BREAKAGE FEE $1,250.00
Computer Fees $1,792.00
Fees $1,486.00
Instruments $2,369.00
Stafford Loan Fees $.00
Transportation $2,000.00
Tuition $45,981.00
Uniforms $205.00
Vaccines $12.00

HOLY sh*tto I wouldn't save anything going to UMD then

Mine was in my mailbox 4-5 days after the email. Better figure things out because the deadline they gave me was deposit in by April 15th.

How long did it take them to cash your check after you got the e-mail saying they received your check?

Still waiting but I sent it on Wednesday

BTW I was refering to the acceptance email and acceptance packet, not anything they might send after you confirm your spot

HOLY sh*tto I wouldn't save anything going to UMD then

these figures are WAY overinflated. Financial aid does this so you will get this max amount if you want it, not b/c you need it (Ex: if you have a family and this is your sole source of supporting them). Don't freak out, take as much or as little as needed!

hey dentaldeac i'm in the same position that you're in to. I LOVE maryland but it's all about the money these days and i've already lived in richmond for the last 4 years doing my undergrad so I'm waiting to hear back from VCU. ANYWAYS, UMD has an amazing school in terms of the technology there and the students were all down to earth and I felt so motivated. A TRUE BREATH OF FRESH AIR :) see you guys there this fall hopefully

Whats up guys, congrats on getting into university of maryland. So far i have had a good experience at the school. Im with a couple of my classmates right now and we felt it might be a good idea to open the facebook group to others so us 1st years might be able to drop in and give some advice or answer some questions.

Again congrats and see you next year!

I would just request to be part, there are some students on there that are helping us out right now, but the more the merrier.