Review of Marshall MS Medical Sciences program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mattch1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I was applying to MS programs I had trouble finding info on the Marshall University MS in Medical Sciences program, so this is an attempt to remedy that.

I started the program in the Fall of '08.
The Marshall MS program is 2 years. Many of the students in the MS program are trying to get into the Marshall U School of Med. If you have your eye on a particular medical school, I would contact their admissions dept to make sure that this program would give you an advantage in admissions. From the statistics I've been given, about 75% +/- of the students in the program are accepted to a medical school after the first year. I've heard that most end up going to Marshall U SOM (MD) or to WV School of Osteopathic Med (DO) in Lewisburg, WV. Marshall U SOM gives huge preference for in-state applicants, and most of the students in the MS program are either from WV, have strong ties to WV, or are from surrounding states.

Some students are in the program for deficiencies in GPA, some for MCAT, some for other reasons. In my personal opinion, this program is most helpful in compensating for a low undergrad GPA.

All of the faculty and staff are very helpful and committed to your success. Coursework is difficult but manageable. If you are willing to work hard and study as you would in med school, then you can do well. Students must maintain a B average to maintain in good academic standing. Graduate Assistanships (from office work, to lab work, to tutoring) are also available to offset the costs of the program. I have a GA and have been able to do well in the coursework with the position.

In the medical school interviews that I've had, I've been able to use the MS program as an example of my committment to studying medicine and of my ability to perform well in competitive coursework. Overall, I'm very happy with the program. It was the most affordable of all the programs I applied to, the people are committed to helping students succeed, and I got in! What more could I ask for? Send me a PM if you have any questions, I'm more than happy to talk with you about the program. I'll put in the 1st yr course schedule below.

If you're interested in talking with the Graduate Admission Counselor for this program, her name is Diana Maue. She is always eager to talk to prospective students and is a great resource for students considering the MS program. Her email is: [email protected], and phone is: 304-696-3365. Feel free to message me as well with questions.
-Matt

First semester 1st year schedule: Cell Biology & Biochemistry 6 credits, Pharmacology 3 credits, Seminar 1 credit

Second semester 1st year schedule: Neurophysiology 2 credits, Mammalian Phys 6 credits, Intro to Research 3 credits, Seminar 1 credit

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you dont mind what were your GRE scores and gpa when you applied to the Marshall BMS program. Also how is the first year in the program going?

Thanks

I am applying to this program (2010). You think a lab GA position is possible?

If you dont mind what were your GRE scores and gpa when you applied to the Marshall BMS program. Also how is the first year in the program going?

Thanks

Pretty sure that he's already finishing up the program (near end of second year) and applied beginning of his second year so he could do his interviews without having a glide year.

Thanks for sharing your review of the program.