"We are sorry you choose not to attend your interview"... wait, WHAT INTERVIEW?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lacipart

M1 at UW-Madison
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, what the heck, I applied to five school in the fall and have been waiting all this time with nothing but denials in my email and post inbox. My last hope lay with MCW in Wisconsin. I got the email in August saying "THIS IS NOT AN INTERVIEW invitation: You have be been favorably reviewed and moved to a smaller pool of applicants, we hope to interview you if time allows"

Fast forward to present day. I get a letter from MCW in the mail. Expecting a rejection from my last school I open it up. "We are sorry you choose not to attend your interview. We assume you no longer are interested in tending MCW, your application has been pulled. Please fill out the following survey about why you choose another school"

My hands were visibly shaking after i read the letter. I had an interview this whole time.... and i blew it?:(

I don't get it, my email address didn't change, the first notification they sent me in August got to me just fine.... so what happened? This ever happen to anyone else? and more importantly, for christ's sake is there any chance they will give me a 2nd interview if I talk to them?!

Members don't see this ad.

Wow... that is truly terrible. I'm so sorry...

I would call them and try to salvage a late interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
You DEFINITELY need to contact them asap and explain your situation. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume they would consider scheduling you again--it seems clear it was some sort of mix-up. I hope it works out for you--good luck!!!

That's garbage, did you check your spam folder?

Just be honest about what happened, you should be able to salvage something with them.

First off, wow, that really sucks. I am sorry this happened to you.

Second, if you are 100% not at fault, I would call them and ask for an interview. Maybe they will let you go to the last interview in January which should technically still be interviews for actual spots in the class.

CALL THEM, CALL THEM, CALL THEM ASAP!!!! (First thing in the morning tomorrow)

Man, that sucks. I hope it works out for you. Good luck :luck:

I'd drink a few beers before you try to go to sleep tonight. Lord knows that would keep me up and restless for hours and hours.

call them and explain that MCW is your first choice (i assume as that is the only one you have left) and that you would relaly love and interview. you say you don't know how this happened.

i hope this really is an interview invite and not a mismailing coz that would be cruel. its just weird that they said that you choose not to attend, it sounds like as if you already scheduled a day.

well anways good luck! i wish you the best, let us know what happened

I'd drink a few beers before you try to go to sleep tonight. Lord knows that would keep me up and restless for hours and hours.

:laugh:and be drunk and hung over the next morning and miss calling

Usually you have to schedule or at least confirm an interview date - maybe the letter was a mistake and not the missing email. I would check the secondary thread for the school on SDN, or the interview invite thread, and see if you can determine how interviews are offered.

GOOD LUCK

Members don't see this ad :)
Call their admissions office in the morning and talk to them about it. I don't know if you can still get an interview this late, but you can at least try to straighten out the situation. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

Okay, what the heck, I applied to five school in the fall and have been waiting all this time with nothing but denials in my email and post inbox. My last hope lay with MCW in Wisconsin. I got the email in August saying "THIS IS NOT AN INTERVIEW invitation: You have be been favorably reviewed and moved to a smaller pool of applicants, we hope to interview you if time allows"

Fast forward to present day. I get a letter from MCW in the mail. Expecting a rejection from my last school I open it up. "We are sorry you choose not to attend your interview. We assume you no longer are interested in tending MCW, your application has been pulled. Please fill out the following survey about why you choose another school"

My hands were visibly shaking after i read the letter. I had an interview this whole time.... and i blew it?:(

I don't get it, my email address didn't change, the first notification they sent me in August got to me just fine.... so what happened? This ever happen to anyone else? and more importantly, for christ's sake is there any chance they will give me a 2nd interview if I talk to them?!

Wow, this is a total bummer. Sorry for the crap situation man. Call them up, you have nothing to lose. Hope everything works out for you.

It's a smiley face with a ] instead of a ), I hate emoticons so I do that instead, haha.

okay cool yeah i'm not too good with all this emoticon stuff.

MCW has already filled all of their seats for the Class of 2013 and are only interviewing for waitlist spots. That being said, best wishes to the OP. MCW is a great school.

:luck: :luck: :luck:

MCW has already filled all of their seats for the Class of 2013 and are only interviewing for waitlist spots. That being said, best wishes to the OP. MCW is a great school.

:luck: :luck: :luck:
the most recent interview day was the 9th, so it was probably for that day. I think they still had slots at that point. next one is this Friday.

Man, that really sucks. I am sorry you have to go through this. I second the calling them. If it was an early interview and they really like you and they let you have another interview, maybe they will just tag you on to the class.

Don't loose hope yet!

P.S.: Keep us posted on how this turns out! I'll be crossing my fingers

the most recent interview day was the 9th, so it was probably for that day. I think they still had slots at that point. next one is this Friday.

In the interview invite emails that they are currently sending, they explicitly say that they are interviewing for waitlist spots only. I'm not sure when they started interviewing for just waitlist spots but it was fairly recently. I know for a fact that their class is currently full (one of the perks of knowing people in the admissions office).

sorry to hear... hope it works out for you.

In the interview invite emails that they are currently sending, they explicitly say that they are interviewing for waitlist spots only. I'm not sure when they started interviewing for just waitlist spots but it was fairly recently. I know for a fact that their class is currently full (one of the perks of knowing people in the admissions office).

The interviews for the 9th were for spots in the class. There might still be some open ones.

i'm sorry :( call them asap. good luck!

What would be even sadder is if there really wasn't an interview and they just sent the wrong letter.

:(

What would be even sadder is if there really wasn't an interview and they just sent the wrong letter.

:(
yeah that's what i meant earlier. what if that was a mis-mailing

Let us know what happens tomorrow.

Obviously call them and straighten it out... do it tomorrow morning. That much is obvious. Try not to worry too much tonight if you can help it, it isn't going to change anything.

I would check the secondary thread for the school on SDN, or the interview invite thread, and see if you can determine how interviews are offered.

That's garbage, did you check your spam folder?

both good advice that you can do right now to try and have as much information as possible before you call them first thing tomorrow morning

good luck and keep us updated....this is like every pre-med's nightmare

good luck and keep us updated....this is like every pre-med's nightmare
Seriously. I'm afraid to sleep tonight. Images of cackling adcoms, standing all around me, shrieking, "You missed ALL of your interviews and you'll never get in ANYWHERE!"

Oh, and good luck to the OP. :)

The thing that I don't get is that MCW emails applicants giving two interview dates to pick from, and you have to call them to accept the interview and hold your interview day. Since you didn't get an invite, you couldn't pick a day, so there was no interview to miss in the first place! They probably sent the letter on accident.

:( -- sorry! whether if the letter is a mistake or not, it never hurts to call.

Seriously. I'm afraid to sleep tonight. Images of cackling adcoms, standing all around me, shrieking, "You missed ALL of your interviews and you'll never get in ANYWHERE!"

Oh, and good luck to the OP. :)

i agree. this process is very stressful

The thing that I don't get is that MCW emails applicants giving two interview dates to pick from, and you have to call them to accept the interview and hold your interview day. Since you didn't get an invite, you couldn't pick a day, so there was no interview to miss in the first place! They probably sent the letter on accident.

yeah, it's a weird situatio

That's about as good as Temple sending me an email today asking me for more information about my "felony conviction" as I indicted "yes" to that question on my AMCAS....:eek::eek:

Me having a heart attack thinking that I had somehow accidentally done that and that was why I have all these rejections...:scared:

And then Temple emailing me 3 minutes later to tell me to "disregard the previous email as it was sent in error."...

Although honestly, your situation totally sucks way more and I hope you get it resolved!! :0)

That's about as good as Temple sending me an email today asking me for more information about my "felony conviction" as I indicted "yes" to that question on my AMCAS....:eek::eek:

Me having a heart attack thinking that I had somehow accidentally done that and that was why I have all these rejections...:scared:

And then Temple emailing me 3 minutes later to tell me to "disregard the previous email as it was sent in error."...

Although honestly, your situation totally sucks way more and I hope you get it resolved!! :0)

Holy Crap I probably would have peed my pants and/or started punching things in those three minutes.

Holy Crap I probably would have peed my pants and/or started punching things in those three minutes.

yeah i might have went out and committed a real felony LOL

I felt a little sick to my stomach after reading this thread. Hope it works out. Let us know how it goes.

Hey that does suck. I almost had a similar situation with my UT-Memphis interview. I got an e-mail from them on a Sunday asking if I was going to attend my interview that Tuesday, aand I sent one back and said "what interview?". Well they called and it turns out that I had gotten an invitation three weeks ago, and UT just picks a date for you, but I hadn't sent back the confirmation e-mail. So, Mrs. Harris in the admissions office (a saint) decided to check up on me. I ended up having to rush around like mad, canceling classes and work for Tuesday, and then heading down to Memphis. It has been my only interview and my only acceptance so far. So that definetely could have been awful. Oh, and I had gotten all their other e-mails, and I didn't have anything in my spam folder.

I would have been like "How'd they find out!"

*sigh*

I called them right when they opened. Checked my application and said that yes, I had been selected for an interview and they sent me an email "several weeks ago".

I got transferred to like 5 people in a row telling my story to each one. Most of the people I talked to said "oh... wow..." and a few sounded generally sympathetic. The last lady I talked to though sounded a bit annoyed if anything "Well it obviously must have gone to your spam folder, that's not our fault". I asked her if they could do anything or reschedule, she said only the Director can make that call and he is out of town until late Friday or early Monday. I should expect a call around them.

So great, I'm at the mercy of Michael Istwan. And even if he is generous and puts me into the next interview slot, I will be lucky to have an interview in mid to late Feburary... instead of January 9th :(

I really don't know my luck, i also got screwed over by UW-Madison in December. I get a letter in the mail saying "You're application has been withdrawn, thank you for applying". I call the next day to ask why and they say "Oh, you werent supposed to get one of those unless you withdrew the application yourself, please ignore it"
...but then 5 days later I got officially denied

*sigh*

I called them right when they opened. Checked my application and said that yes, I had been selected for an interview and they sent me an email "several weeks ago".

I got transferred to like 5 people in a row telling my story to each one. Most of the people I talked to said "oh... wow..." and a few sounded generally sympathetic. The last lady I talked to though sounded a bit annoyed if anything "Well it obviously must have gone to your spam folder, that's not our fault". I asked her if they could do anything or reschedule, she said only the Director can make that call and he is out of town until late Friday or early Monday. I should expect a call around them.

So great, I'm at the mercy of Michael Istwan. And even if he is generous and puts me into the next interview slot, I will be lucky to have an interview in mid to late Feburary... instead of January 9th :(

I really don't know my luck, i also got screwed over by UW-Madison in December. I get a letter in the mail saying "You're application has been withdrawn, thank you for applying". I call the next day to ask why and they say "Oh, you werent supposed to get one of those unless you withdrew the application yourself, please ignore it"
...but then 5 days later I got officially denied
Well try not to beat yourself up about this.

It was clearly an unusual situation and if you're using gmail, emails of several weeks ago should still be in your spam folder.

Regardless, at least you have an opportunity for an interview still. Worst case scenario, you're back to where you were a week ago. Best case scenario, you stand a chance at acceptance.

Best of luck!