-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
- Home
- Forums
- Physician and Resident Communities (MD / DO)
- General Residency Issues
- ERAS, SOAP, and NRMP Match
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2009 Regional Match Statistics
Started by Charmed2009
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Just released on the NRMP website under "my reports". 🙂
Can you post the statitistics? There are a lot of attendings like myself and also current residents, pre-meds, and MS1-MS3 students who are not participating in the match and might like to see the data.
Can you post the statitistics? There are a lot of attendings like myself and also current residents, pre-meds, and MS1-MS3 students who are not participating in the match and might like to see the data.
ETA: Without a screenshot program (I'm on a hospital computer) I can't post the entire table (would take forever). Any specialties/regions you are interested in specifically?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Looks like the ramp-up in med student enrollments is having a major impact. The number of unfilled spots seems smaller across the board than in any previous year for which I have seen the data.
You can compare to previous years here: http://www.nrmp.org/data/advancedatatables.pdf and
here: http://www.nrmp.org/data/advancedatatables2008.pdf
You can compare to previous years here: http://www.nrmp.org/data/advancedatatables.pdf and
here: http://www.nrmp.org/data/advancedatatables2008.pdf
Last edited:
Yes, pathology and dermatology. Thanks.
Pathology: 522 matched, 30 unmatched.
Dermatology: 28 matched, 0 unmatched.
Does it seem more competitive this year?
Pathology: 522 matched, 30 unmatched.
Dermatology: 28 matched, 0 unmatched.
Thanks a lot!
Does it seem more competitive this year?
without knowing the number of applicants for each specialty, I don't think you can measure over-all competiveness...Derm appears competitive with only 28 available positions, but I suppose theoretically if only 28 people applied and all got their first choice, it wasn't very competitive...
I was surprised to see two Plastics spots open. GL to those scrambling for it!
and the 1 ortho spot!

without knowing the number of applicants for each specialty, I don't think you can measure over-all competiveness...Derm appears competitive with only 28 available positions, but I suppose theoretically if only 28 people applied and all got their first choice, it wasn't very competitive...
Most Derm spots are PGY-2 so there are a lot more than 28 spots.
Yes -> it looks like 1100 PGY-1 spots and 59 PGY-2 spots available in the scramble vs. 1250 PGY-1 spots and 92 PGY-2 spots last year. I predict the number of unfilled spots will continue to plummet as med school enrollments are ramping up.
Last edited:
Rad onc spots for both PGY1 PGY 2
Offered : 155
Unfilled: 12
Does this seem like a high number of unfilled for this specialty?! I always considered this to be uber competitive.
Compare this to Neurology which had a total of 11 unfilled pgy1 and pgy2 spots.
I guess if i was in the scramble, Rad Onc is the one I would be after!
Offered : 155
Unfilled: 12
Does this seem like a high number of unfilled for this specialty?! I always considered this to be uber competitive.
Compare this to Neurology which had a total of 11 unfilled pgy1 and pgy2 spots.
I guess if i was in the scramble, Rad Onc is the one I would be after!
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't think as many people apply to rad onc as to some other specialties, and probably the programs didn't interview enough people. It's still a very competitive field. The spots will probably fill with internal candidates, and/or with people who tried to match rad onc originally but fell through the match (not just who are randomly scrambling for ANY spot).
I don't think as many people apply to rad onc as to some other specialties, and probably the programs didn't interview enough people. It's still a very competitive field. The spots will probably fill with internal candidates, and/or with people who tried to match rad onc originally but fell through the match (not just who are randomly scrambling for ANY spot).
You really dont think its because students have lost interest in the field? Or maybe a better question is, are enough US seniors students interested in the field to fill every spot offered?
Rad onc spots for both PGY1 PGY 2
Filled : 155
Unfilled: 12
Does this seem like a high number of unfilled for this specialty?! I always considered this to be uber competitive.
Compare this to Neurology which had a total of 11 unfilled pgy1 and pgy2 spots.
I guess if i was in the scramble, Rad Onc is the one I would be after!
To keep in perspective, rads and gas, which have more than 1000 spots each, had 10 and 26 spots unfilled, respectively.
I think the rad-onc and the plastics spots are shocking. And what sucks is that lots of people-- esp. in PRS-- will have applied to gen surg as a backup. Having failed to match plastics, they will have matched in surgery-- so they're ineligible to compete in the scramble.
You really dont think its because students have lost interest in the field? Or maybe a better question is, are enough US seniors students interested in the field to fill every spot offered?
More US students would like to do rad onc than will ever have a chance to. Many don't try because they realize they wouldn't be very competitive.
Even very competitive fields can/will have unfilled spots, when they don't interview enough people. It doesn't mean that random people (who didn't originally even apply to that particular specialty) are going to get those open spots. They'll probably go to somebody who's been hanging around doing research, someone who was fairly competitive but just didn't quite make it to the interview, etc. They're not just going to take somebody who doesn't have high board scores, who was just trying to scramble for any spot in any specialty.
blondedoc,
The people who picked general surg. as a backup can still try to bail later, after a year or two, and do plastics.
I think the rad-onc and the plastics spots are shocking. And what sucks is that lots of people-- esp. in PRS-- will have applied to gen surg as a backup. Having failed to match plastics, they will have matched in surgery-- so they're ineligible to compete in the scramble.
OUCH! You are so correct! If i was in that boat, I would be steaming for 5 yrs!
Which states do they define as "Central Region"?
ND --> KS --> OH boundaries.
More US students would like to do rad onc than will ever have a chance to. Many don't try because they realize they wouldn't be very competitive.
Even very competitive fields can/will have unfilled spots, when they don't interview enough people. It doesn't mean that random people (who didn't originally even apply to that particular specialty) are going to get those open spots. They'll probably go to somebody who's been hanging around doing research, someone who was fairly competitive but just didn't quite make it to the interview, etc. They're not just going to take somebody who doesn't have high board scores, who was just trying to scramble for any spot in any specialty.
This was a field I briefly considered entering. And by brief I mean like 5 minutes! There are only a handful of spots in each state, I hardly thought I was competitive enough for it! But when I see a dozen unfilled, it makes me a tad bitter to think i didn't try.
I guess we never know if we couldve, unless we gave it a try.
congrats to everyone that matched.
some of those stats are puzzling to me. how were there no Derm spots offered in the Northeast??? And diag radiology offers only ~150 spots as opposed to ortho surg which offers >600 spots? I dunno just sounds shocking to me
some of those stats are puzzling to me. how were there no Derm spots offered in the Northeast??? And diag radiology offers only ~150 spots as opposed to ortho surg which offers >600 spots? I dunno just sounds shocking to me
congrats to everyone that matched.
some of those stats are puzzling to me. how were there no Derm spots offered in the Northeast??? And diag radiology offers only ~150 spots as opposed to ortho surg which offers >600 spots? I dunno just sounds shocking to me
Look farther down at the PGY-2 spots.
Look farther down at the PGY-2 spots.
ah hah, makes more sense with those specialties that require a prelim/trans yr
congrats to everyone that matched.
some of those stats are puzzling to me. how were there no Derm spots offered in the Northeast??? And diag radiology offers only ~150 spots as opposed to ortho surg which offers >600 spots? I dunno just sounds shocking to me
Take a look at PGY-2 table. Radiology programs that don't offer PGY-1 outnumber those that offer PGY-1.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Regarding the 2 open plastic surgery spots... I'm not sure those are truly available. The Saint Louis University programs withdraw itself from the match mid-season, and those may be the two spots that are reported as open. Notice that the two spots are located in "Central Region."
2
225557
I agree with this, SLU pulled out after accepting applications for their 2 spots and then withdrew so they would be counted in the match as "unfilled". I luckily matched into plastics and I can tell you from the competitiveness of it and the number of applicants that it is HIGHLY unlikely for 2 spots in the central region (filled with some of the most competitive programs) to go unfilled.Regarding the 2 open plastic surgery spots... I'm not sure those are truly available. The Saint Louis University programs withdraw itself from the match mid-season, and those may be the two spots that are reported as open. Notice that the two spots are located in "Central Region."
I agree with this, SLU pulled out after accepting applications for their 2 spots and then withdrew so they would be counted in the match as "unfilled". I luckily matched into plastics and I can tell you from the competitiveness of it and the number of applicants that it is HIGHLY unlikely for 2 spots in the central region (filled with some of the most competitive programs) to go unfilled.
Just curious, but what was the purpose in doing that?
I agree with this, SLU pulled out after accepting applications for their 2 spots and then withdrew so they would be counted in the match as "unfilled". I luckily matched into plastics and I can tell you from the competitiveness of it and the number of applicants that it is HIGHLY unlikely for 2 spots in the central region (filled with some of the most competitive programs) to go unfilled.
Thanks for the input. I really didnt think it could be possible for this highly coveted field to go unmatched anywhere, anytime. Congrats to you PRS and best of luck over the years. If you ever need a good anesthesiologist to work alongside when you are done, look me up! 😀
RelaxedMD,
From the other thread I thought you were doing RADS?
From the other thread I thought you were doing RADS?
2
225557
Please don't direct your anger and frustration towards me. I was simply stating that I agreed with what was said as that was my thought and ended up rambling on due to my excitement of matching. Sorry....Just curious, but what was the purpose in doing that?
Please don't direct your anger and frustration towards me. I was simply stating that I agreed with what was said as that was my thought and ended up rambling on due to my excitement of matching. Sorry....
I read ranmyaku's post as questioning why the program would want to go "unfilled" in the match. I don't think he was offended by your post...
Please don't direct your anger and frustration towards me. I was simply stating that I agreed with what was said as that was my thought and ended up rambling on due to my excitement of matching. Sorry....
I think the poster was wondering why SLU pulled out like that and what was their purpose in doing so. I was wondering the same thing.
I think the poster was wondering why SLU pulled out like that and what was their purpose in doing so. I was wondering the same thing.
What he said...
why would I be angry at you. lmao
i think the poster was wondering why slu pulled out like that and what was their purpose in doing so. I was wondering the same thing.
+1
2
225557
Ahhhh, that makes more sense. Sorry- I am on little sleep due to absolute terror and panic for the last few days.... The rumor is that they are having some internal issues with either their case loads being subpar or that there faculty is in flux. They didn't really give a clear reason in their email, but that was the word on the trail. Sorry again.....
Looks like the ramp-up in med student enrollments is having a major impact. The number of unfilled spots seems smaller across the board than in any previous year for which I have seen the data.
You can compare to previous years here: http://www.nrmp.org/data/advancedatatables.pdf and
here: http://www.nrmp.org/data/advancedatatables2008.pdf
In the tables from the previous years, is the "number of positions filled" data pre or post scramble? Either way, fewer spots are unfilled this year compared to previous, except for rads and rad onc...interesting. In addition to increasing medical student enrollment, perhaps the overall # of residency positions was reduced? Though I only know of one of my programs to reduce the intern class size, and most other programs were looking to increase program size in proportion to growing patient population.
For those w/o NRMP access, here's the pdf
http://www.filedropper.com/regionalstatisticsbyspecialty
http://www.filedropper.com/regionalstatisticsbyspecialty
RelaxedMD,
From the other thread I thought you were doing RADS?
Interviewed both. And I ranked both. I dont know yet!!!? Im happy either way.
Oh ok cool. Good luck! Which one are you pulling for? Im guessin rads😉
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It doesnt matter anymore. There are pros and cons in both fields. I have spent the last six months dissecting the two apart.
Geography matters more!
midwest>>>south>northeast
I simply feel fortunate to have a complete match!
Geography matters more!
midwest>>>south>northeast
I simply feel fortunate to have a complete match!
Ahhhh, that makes more sense. Sorry- I am on little sleep due to absolute terror and panic for the last few days.... The rumor is that they are having some internal issues with either their case loads being subpar or that there faculty is in flux. They didn't really give a clear reason in their email, but that was the word on the trail. Sorry again.....
I heard from a friend in the know that the program director at SLU has a very strong opinion that all plastic surgeons needs to complete general surgery first. In fact he refuses to write letters for students interested in matching to a plastics program. SLU still takes students that have completed the general residency.
does anyone think that rad-onc is a dying field? I mean, most of their business come from breast and prostate, and it seems like heme-onco will get their treatments for those diseases in the next ten years.
Hopefully rad onc won't end up like nuc-med only residencies.
imagine a specialty going from one of the most competitive to one filled by caribean grads almost exclusively.
Hopefully rad onc won't end up like nuc-med only residencies.
imagine a specialty going from one of the most competitive to one filled by caribean grads almost exclusively.
does anyone think that rad-onc is a dying field? I mean, most of their business come from breast and prostate, and it seems like heme-onco will get their treatments for those diseases in the next ten years.
Hopefully rad onc won't end up like nuc-med only residencies.
imagine a specialty going from one of the most competitive to one filled by caribean grads almost exclusively.
And brain and lung and lymphoma and bony mets of just about anything and TBI and...and...and. Not dying. I wish we (med onc) had good answers to all those things but we don't and I don't see them any time soon.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 2K