You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Harvard Medical School Class of 2013
Started by docontheroc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
yayyyyyy
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hahaha, and I always thought I wanted to get the hell out of Boston...acceptances change all of that!
just for the record...im at work in nicaragua right now, and i have NO IDEA what to do with myself...

My first use of an animated smiley 🙂
I still don't believe it... Guess I'll be staying in Boston 🙂!
👍👍👍
👍👍👍
anyone hear anything or have inside info about second look/finan aid???
sup classmates?
also will be staying in boston even though i want to get the eff out. i'm a bit scared about hst though
what's wrong with boston?
what's wrong with boston?
i'm a diehard yankees fan, if you couldn't tell from my avatar
also will be staying in boston even though i want to get the eff out. i'm a bit scared about hst though
me too! i sort of figured if i got into one, it would be np, not hst.
i also couldn't help but notice that you got a upitt scholarship too....are you considering that offer at all? (only ask, b/c i am debating the merits of hst vs. that scholarship also)
i'm a diehard yankees fan, if you couldn't tell from my avatar
haha...fair enough. besides the objectionable sports teams (the only team i hate more than the celtics are the spurs)
i suppose the weather leaves much to be desired?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
HOLLAAAAAA. I feel so unimaginably happy....even well over 12 hours after the acceptance 😀 see you guys at revisit
I was wondering if anyone knew the big differences between NP and HST. Do they share any of the same classes? I'm NP here
I was wondering if anyone knew the big differences between NP and HST. Do they share any of the same classes? I'm NP here
Last edited:
HST and NP are, from what I've heard, two very distinct programs that hardly overlap, if at all. To sum it up crudely, HST is more traditional lecture-based, and NP emphasizes PBL. We could probably get FrontalLobe to clarify this a bit.
HST, I believe, also tends to put a lot more emphasis on the science of medicine. I didn't even bother applying since I don't really plan on making research a major focus of my career.
HST, I believe, also tends to put a lot more emphasis on the science of medicine. I didn't even bother applying since I don't really plan on making research a major focus of my career.
did anyone get into both NP and HST?
I'm in and I am sooo excited. 🙂
Q: What is the difference between HST and the New Pathway?
A: There are several differences in the two pathways to the MD degree at Harvard Medical School. The HST medical sciences curriculum seeks to educate leaders in biomedical sciences and academic medicine. Preclinical courses, taught in semester format to more easily integrate with the schedules at Harvard and MIT, employ a range of pedagogical approaches to educate students in modern biomedical sciences, pathophysiologic processes, and important concepts in modern biology and biotechnology. All students in the HST program must complete a thesis as part of their graduation requirements.
The New Pathway curriculum uses a problem-based approach to medical education that emphasizes small-group tutorials and self-directed learning, complemented by laboratories, conferences and lectures. Courses are taught in block format. Emphasis is placed on the patient-doctor relationship, the social context and problems of modern medicine and health care, and the prospects created by the progress in biological sciences.
Students in HST and the New Pathway may join together for some social medicine and clinical epidemiology electives in years I and II, and intermingle on the wards in years III and IV.
still waiting for more decisions/second looks/fin aid packages...taking my time with the next four (or more) years of my life.
fbook group anyone?
A: There are several differences in the two pathways to the MD degree at Harvard Medical School. The HST medical sciences curriculum seeks to educate leaders in biomedical sciences and academic medicine. Preclinical courses, taught in semester format to more easily integrate with the schedules at Harvard and MIT, employ a range of pedagogical approaches to educate students in modern biomedical sciences, pathophysiologic processes, and important concepts in modern biology and biotechnology. All students in the HST program must complete a thesis as part of their graduation requirements.
The New Pathway curriculum uses a problem-based approach to medical education that emphasizes small-group tutorials and self-directed learning, complemented by laboratories, conferences and lectures. Courses are taught in block format. Emphasis is placed on the patient-doctor relationship, the social context and problems of modern medicine and health care, and the prospects created by the progress in biological sciences.
Students in HST and the New Pathway may join together for some social medicine and clinical epidemiology electives in years I and II, and intermingle on the wards in years III and IV.
still waiting for more decisions/second looks/fin aid packages...taking my time with the next four (or more) years of my life.
fbook group anyone?
anyone else notice that wustl's second look is the same time as hms? that was a bad move...
Just wondering. Does anyone know if Harvard provides laptops to its students or if we are supposed to buy our own? If we need to buy, what kind do you guys recommend? It would be nice to hear from someone who is already at Harvard. Thanks.
what school provides you with laptops?...i want to go there 😵
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats to all, classmates 😀
I'm so happy, I was a zombie at work yesterday, just kept walking around the lab muttering to myself "i can't believe it, i can't believe it!" We're in!!!
Speaking of laptops, Duke gives its students free laptops -- !! But I'm still going to HMS!!!!!
I'm so happy, I was a zombie at work yesterday, just kept walking around the lab muttering to myself "i can't believe it, i can't believe it!" We're in!!!
Speaking of laptops, Duke gives its students free laptops -- !! But I'm still going to HMS!!!!!
what school provides you with laptops?...i want to go there 😵
Baylor earmarks 3k of its tuition for you to buy or upgrade a laptop. Whatever you don't use gets refunded to you. 🙂
*vanishes*
Has anyone got the acceptance package from Harvard yet? I have not received anything except the welcoming email. I hear no acceptance is confirmed unless you get the signed letter from the admissions director.
snail mail is slooooooooowwwwwww
nothin yet
nothin yet
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Join "Harvard Medical School Class of 2013" on the facebook. Here is the link http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=58826974586
It would nice to know our classmates.
It would nice to know our classmates.
was waiting for someone to do that
where you at?
where you at?
Boston area. You should get yours soon!
Also, fin aid site is up.
Ahhh I want my packet. Zpiff, was it sent to your preferred or permanent address?
I'm not sure. I had both of mine set to my parent's place since I didn't want to deal with the hassle of changing addresses for breaks and such.
I got mine yesterday. I, too, live in the Boston Area -- it was dated March 17th and was sent to my permanent address on my AMCAS application. I could not sleep well until I got the paper confirmation, so I completely understand your eagerness!! Is everyone attending the revisit weekend?
trying to figure out how to do harvard and yale (same dates)
i think yale would pay for travel since im MSTP...but i really need to see HMS
any ideas?
i think yale would pay for travel since im MSTP...but i really need to see HMS
any ideas?
Still waiting for my packet in the mail. Hoping it arrives today!
will be attending for sure. If you want to solely practice, sure go to the place you have the best scholarship package. But, if you want to venture out, the Harvard degree is worth it. see you all at revisit.
Feels good to post in the Harvard Class thread!
I'm out of town right now, and can't wait to hold that Harvard acceptance packet.
Looking forward to meeting everyone at second look!
I'm out of town right now, and can't wait to hold that Harvard acceptance packet.
Looking forward to meeting everyone at second look!
package received today (california)...i guess it's real! 😍
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
they want our bloody AP scores. how quaint.
I'm pretty sure I'm attending HMS this fall. Are many of you guys going to stay at Vandy for the first year? Also is it even worth having a car if you do?
I'm moving from the south, so Boston will definitely be a culture shock... in a good way.
I'm moving from the south, so Boston will definitely be a culture shock... in a good way.
I'm pretty sure I'm attending HMS this fall. Are many of you guys going to stay at Vandy for the first year? Also is it even worth having a car if you do?
I'm moving from the south, so Boston will definitely be a culture shock... in a good way.
I don't know the specifics about Vandy in particular, but parking in Longwood in general is awful and expensive. A car is definitely not worth the hassle.
Sup classmates!!!!!
Damn this feels good.
Hope y'all are gonna be at second look.
I guess Imma have to sell my car before the move to boston
Yeah that kinda lame....I havent been the college board website in like 4 years and now I gotta pay em again? Most unfortunate.
Wow like, if everyone goes, like 5-10% of the class might be in this forum?!
Damn this feels good.
Hope y'all are gonna be at second look.
I guess Imma have to sell my car before the move to boston
they want our bloody AP scores. how quaint.
Yeah that kinda lame....I havent been the college board website in like 4 years and now I gotta pay em again? Most unfortunate.
Wow like, if everyone goes, like 5-10% of the class might be in this forum?!
I'm pretty sure I'm attending HMS this fall. Are many of you guys going to stay at Vandy for the first year? Also is it even worth having a car if you do?
I'm moving from the south, so Boston will definitely be a culture shock... in a good way.
I'll definitely be living in Vandy my first year. I think it'll be a good way to meet the class.
I'm also going to sell my car at the end of the summer. It's not worth it having a car in Boston. Public transportation is pretty got and there is a shuttle to all of the hospitals so you should be all set.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 1K
D
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 561
D


