FM PGY-1 TX swap for FM/IM spot in IL,WI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mwest

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I matched in a TX Family Medicine program (Unopposed) at a University-Afilliated hospital. Due to unavoidable circumstances, I am looking for a FM position in Illinois and Wisconsin. If anyone is interested in swapping, please PM me.

Members don't see this ad.

A couple of these "I would love to swap spots" threads have cropped up. Remember that there are many roadblocks:

1. If I matched you, what makes you think I want some other guy? Are you sure he/she's as good as you are?

2. Only the NRMP can absolve you of your match. PD's cannot "approve" a swap even if they want to. To make a swap happen, I would assume that BOTH parties would need to qualify for a hardship waiver, AND the NRMP forbids looking for a new program until you've been approved a waiver from your current one. So I expect if this is proposed to them they will nix it.

Can it be done under the table? Maybe. But I can tell you that I'd be pretty pissed if a resident came to me telling me that they'd found someone to take their spot so they can go somewhere else, much like I'd be upset to have my wife tell me that she's fallen in love with someone else, but it's OK because that person is married also and she's sure we'd be a perfect match....

aPD,
Thank you for your input about swapping residency positions, even before residency starts. I had a question about that: what if the other program director is okay with it? He's willing to work with the new resident replacement, whatever his credentials, and whatever his visa status. Plus why would he want to work with a resident who doesn't seem to be happy in his current residency spot (i'm assuming this is why he wanted to swap with someone else in the first place!) And isn't this as good a time as any to go for the swap, when no contract has been signed ( I haven't received my contract yet) and when names haven't been entered into the "system?"

Also, I didn't know there were NRMP policies that asked you to obtain a waiver before trying to go for a swap. Thank you for pointing that out to us.

Only the NRMP can waive your match. If you didn't want to be at your current program, then you shouldn't have ranked it (that is their thinking). You've already signed the match contract -- you did so when you registered for the match.

Why is it this way? Let's say I'm your PD, and you contact me and tell me that it turns out you don't want to come to my program any more, but no problem because you've found a replacement. Let's say I'm not really happy with your chosen replacement. What do I do? Force you to come, knowing that you might bail at any time / be miserable? Let the swap happen, even though I feel like I'm getting a raw deal? I'm pretty stuck either way.

The other reason it's this way is because the NRMP says so. :rolleyes: They are concerned that post match swaps "weaken" the match, as matched applicants try to "scramble" into better spots.

Thanks for clearing up my confusion about the 'Post-Match, Pre-Residency Swap.' It does seem risky to me. If a program ranked me high enough that I match there, then I shouldn't ruin my chances at my program by telling them 'thanks, but no thanks, I have a better place I can go to.' I'm happy where I am and we'll see about a swap after Intern year ( I know the NRMP allows for that!)

But then again, desperate times sometimes call for desperate measures and that's where 'under the table' residency swaps come into play!

A couple of these "I would love to swap spots" threads have cropped up. Remember that there are many roadblocks:

1. If I matched you, what makes you think I want some other guy? Are you sure he/she's as good as you are?

2. Only the NRMP can absolve you of your match. PD's cannot "approve" a swap even if they want to. To make a swap happen, I would assume that BOTH parties would need to qualify for a hardship waiver, AND the NRMP forbids looking for a new program until you've been approved a waiver from your current one. So I expect if this is proposed to them they will nix it.

Can it be done under the table? Maybe. But I can tell you that I'd be pretty pissed if a resident came to me telling me that they'd found someone to take their spot so they can go somewhere else, much like I'd be upset to have my wife tell me that she's fallen in love with someone else, but it's OK because that person is married also and she's sure we'd be a perfect match....

What if a person was pre-matched to a program, but is having second thoughts. If that person were to find someone willing to switch prior to starting the program: What would be the road blocks in that scenario? Can a program director fire a trainee once he finds out that the trainee wants to swap out of his program before even starting it... as in retaliation?

What if a person was pre-matched to a program, but is having second thoughts. If that person were to find someone willing to switch prior to starting the program: What would be the road blocks in that scenario? Can a program director fire a trainee once he finds out that the trainee wants to swap out of his program before even starting it... as in retaliation?

Both PD's would have to be happy with the swap.

Both spots would need to be prematches.

Theoretically, if you have a signed contract, you can't be fired for looking for another job. Can your PD make your life miserable? Probably. Will they? I hope not -- if so, you're probably in for a rough ride no matter what you do.