Step I USMLE Step 1 and ERAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

spicedmanna

Full Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I'm an osteopathic medical student considering taking the USMLE Step 1. I'm curious, when you take the USMLE Step 1, how does it get reported to ERAS? Does it get automatically entered onto the application? What's the process?

Thanks.
 
So I forgot about the change that ERAS made & the fact that DO students (as of 2008) have to release their USMLE scores if they took it.

Below is from another thread.

If you go to ERAS & look through there information packet, there is a spot (pg 16 or thereabouts) that states that ALL DO students HAVE to release their USMLE scores (starting 2008) IF they apply to allopathic residencies. (emphasis is my own)

This applies to Step 1 since when it comes to Step 2 DO students have the same options as our MD friends i.e. withhold scores until after interviews are over.
 
I tried searching for this information and could not find this. Could you please provide a link that gives the following information below? Thank you.

So I forgot about the change that ERAS made & the fact that DO students (as of 2008) have to release their USMLE scores if they took it.

Below is from another thread.

If you go to ERAS & look through there information packet, there is a spot (pg 16 or thereabouts) that states that ALL DO students HAVE to release their USMLE scores (starting 2008) IF they apply to allopathic residencies. (emphasis is my own)

This applies to Step 1 since when it comes to Step 2 DO students have the same options as our MD friends i.e. withhold scores until after interviews are over.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
http://www.aamc.org/students/eras/resources/start.htm

"ERAS 2009 Applicant User Guide" (3rd on list). Right at the bottom of page 11.

According to this, you must report it on your CAF, which I guess means you don't really have to release it (i.e. just say you took it w/o releasing the scores) but I doubt any program will see that you took it & not ask you what you got.

 
anyone know if it is still okay to NOT report step 2 on ERAS for ACGME programs as a DO?
It depends. Some ACGME programs require a complete Step 2, others don't. This is very variable, so I don't think anyone will be able to give you a concrete answer. To have the MOST options available to you, you will need to pass Step 2.
 
It depends. Some ACGME programs require a complete Step 2, others don't. This is very variable, so I don't think anyone will be able to give you a concrete answer. To have the MOST options available to you, you will need to pass Step 2.


+1

so don't let the possibility do it , u have to be determent that u will pass step 2 , or don't enter it till u are ready .