Schedules in EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docB

Chronically painful
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have noticed that some of the topics we think have been thoroughly covered are actually pretty hard to find when searching. We frequently tell new users to search their questions first. I think we should try to address some of these topics in an informative manner. I will then link to these threads in the FAQ and hopefully we will have created a useful resource.

Schedules in EM

There are as many ways to do EM staffing as there are EM groups which is a lot. The decision about how to staff is made by each group. Those groups decide what the most important aspect to their members is and choose a system based on that. Considerations include more than just the nights and weekends that concern most students. Meetings and other administrative activities, circadian rhythms, vacations, hours requirements and even individual physician capabilities must be accommodated.

So what are some of the systems groups use to do their staffing? Let’s look at some of the most common.

Set schedules – In this system each doc works the same shifts every week. For example a particular doc may have Monday and Tuesday days and Thursday and Friday nights as their regular shifts. The advantage of this system is that you always know what your schedule is. For example you can tell your friends that Sundays and Wednesdays are good for you. The disadvantage is that it can be really hard to switch out with a colleague. They are locked into a given schedule too so if you need coverage it can get pretty tight.

Random schedules- This is how my group does it. We submit our requirements months in advance specifying such things as hours needed, facilities preferred and the all important days needed off. The advantage of this is that we can get just about any time off we need. The disadvantage is that I never know what I’m doing a few days down the road without checking my calendar.

Circadian schedules- It’s really nice on the body to work later and later every day. Some schedules use this and have docs work days then evenings then nights. This is less physically disorienting than the others but you run into problems with being locked in just as with the set schedule scheme. This schedule also demands that everyone work nights and that doesn’t fit with some groups.

The things that most students worry about are the nights and weekends. Some groups require that everyone work nights and weekends and others don’t. Some groups pay their night and weekend shifts more (often called a shift differential) to entice docs to pick up the difficult to staff shifts. Some groups require nights and weekends be worked by the newest docs. Some of these groups make a lot of promises about big benefits after working the tough shifts for several years. Some groups specifically exclude their older docs (usually over 55 or 60) from having to work nights.

So for the student contemplating EM and the resident considering various jobs it’s important to remember that there are a lot of options out there. You will probably have to work some nights and weekends. Be careful about groups that make a lot of promises if you will work all nights and weekends.

Members don't see this ad.

I know this thread is about 6 months old, but I found it in the EM FAQ. How does residency factor into scheduling? After PGY-1, do residents work similar shifts as attending physicians, but more shift per month? Do they work longer shifts? Do they have call nights? (I'm trying to paint a mental picture of residency schedule differences between IM and EM). Thank you!

It is different at every program. Residents will almost always work more than attendings (otherwise what's the point of being an attending?:cool:)

At my program when I was there (2003) the attendings did 12 12s a month (a very common regimen). The PGY1s did 20 12s when on ER months. The PGY2s did 18 and the PGY3s did 16.

Members don't see this ad :)
Our attendings work 8 hour shifts while most of the resident shifts are 12s (excluding a few teaching shifts and peds shifts for R2s and R3s...) We have the same setup for our number of shifts as above (R1s 20, R2s 18, and R3s 16)

hi there iam really keen on applying for emergency medicine residency can anyone please tell me that how many average night calls are there when one is working as a faculty...is it crazy busy...?/plz tel..

hi there iam really keen on applying for emergency medicine residency can anyone please tell me that how many average night calls are there when one is working as a faculty...is it crazy busy...?/plz tel..

We don't do calls. We do shifts.

Most EPs have to do at least some night shifts but it's group and hosptial dependent. Some do all nights some none. Most do about a quarter to a third of their shifts at night.

How busy it is again depends on where you work. Some places you get to sleep. Some places you don't get to go to the bathroom.

It is different at every program. Residents will almost always work more than attendings (otherwise what's the point of being an attending?:cool:)

At my program when I was there (2003) the attendings did 12 12s a month (a very common regimen). The PGY1s did 20 12s when on ER months. The PGY2s did 18 and the PGY3s did 16.
Can anyone give a good answer to this question? Why do residents work fewer shifts as they go on? Of course the PGY1s need the most training, and that's the answer I get whenever I ask this question. But wouldn't it make sense to give them fewer shifts so they could study more? They need to read the most too, don't they?

As an intern who would really like a few more days off, I have to admit that you really learn more by doing than by reading. Besides, nobody really reads that much. You're either too tired or have a life that you would like to reconnect with occassionally. I also suspect that some of the reasoning takes into account that upper level residents can see more patients in less time. For example, it takes me almost two shifts to see the same number of pts as some of our faster third years see in one.

Not to mention that in moonlighting friendly porgrams, you should have some time to moonlight and learn to function on your own as an upper level. It greatly enhances your education and confidence.

I also suspect that some of the reasoning takes into account that upper level residents can see more patients in less time. For example, it takes me almost two shifts to see the same number of pts as some of our faster third years see in one.
That answer makes a lot of sense to me. Thanks.