Personal Statement question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vi3t

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am in the process of researching the application process and PT schools and will be applying for the next cycle. I came across the personal statement section of PTCAS and I was wondering how you would address the questions? Should I title each question and answer them accordingly, or should I combine 3 of the questions into one essay? Any clarity would help, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone!

I am in the process of researching the application process and PT schools and will be applying for the next cycle. I came across the personal statement section of PTCAS and I was wondering how you would address the questions? Should I title each question and answer them accordingly, or should I combine 3 of the questions into one essay? Any clarity would help, thanks!

Combine them. The application allows you to tailor the essay to each school, if there are special instructions. I only applied to one school that actually had any special requirement and it was a word limit. I just stayed within that word limit and used the same essay for all the schools.

It's good that you're thinking about your statement now. I really think that an excellent essay is totally underrated in discussions. Of course the numbers matter as a way for schools to limit who they really are going to scrutinize in the process, but if you have the same activities, scores, GPAs as other people, an essay that stands out could be the difference. That matters, especially because it's so easy for so many people to apply through PTCAS now. It's a chance to show your voice.

My advice: Figure out what it is that will make you a great PT. Don't go the "what do they want to hear?" route because that's when everyone blends in. Be yourself. And chances are you probably do want to be a PT for many of the same reasons as a lot of other applicants, which is exactly why you have to come up with a really strong thesis point and then support that with an example or two about how you've explified certain characteristics. Be as specific as possible, using solid examples of whatever message it is about yourself that you're trying to convey. Be wary of using too many examples, though. That's why they have sections about activities and work experience. They'll get that. Use your essay to hone in on a particular situation that shows the best of you and addresses each question. The more general you are, the more you might just look like everyone else. Conversely, the more specific, the more they will feel like they are already getting to know you and how you can contribute to the school and the profession.

Good luck!

start now!!! And make sure you have at least ten people read it. Re-read it about a dozen times once complete and make sure it flows well. The best thing I could have done was have someone outside the field read it and give advice. But as far as the contents, make it an essay that answers the questions in the content. You will find that 4500 characters is way to small to get all the information in so you will have to cut out some important parts of your story.

Thanks for all the tips..so I am assuming that 4500 characters is the limit?