2008 International Student/U.S. DS Admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc toothache

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The information was obtained from the 2009 ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Copy of International DS Admission SDN-2 mod 6-22-11.xls
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,022
Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
good stuff as always. thx

There are 4 Koreans in Harvard?? Interesting...

Thank you for the information...do you know if the number of enrolled students were the ones with advanced standing or just non-permanent residents with US bachelors degrees?

Thank you for the information...do you know if the number of enrolled students were the ones with advanced standing or just non-permanent residents with US bachelors degrees?

I was wondering same thing...
200 Seems alot... WOW!!!

3 north koreans @ uop. interesting, i've never seen one in my life.

shocking!! :laugh:

NYUCD out of 200+

only FOUR??

Hm..what about this cycle? :smuggrin:

Only Four s. Korean at NYU...
But 23 total international out of 200 at NYU...

Last edited:
wow, just 101 Canadian! I was thinking would be much more than that.

Some minor changes have been made to the file.

It is not particularly clear. In the demographic section most school do not have an entry. It would appear that the numbers are those for entry level and appear to be certain for Mercy, Minn, SUNNY B, PR. At Penn it might 3 out of 5, 4 out of 6 for Harvard, and 1 out of 30 for UCSF. It would not hurt to place UCSF on the questionable list. Would it not be nice to have a copy of the Guide?

wow, just 101 Canadian! I was thinking would be much more than that.

Why so? Clearly there are going to be a limited number of slots that are allocated for international students.

Members don't see this ad :)
3 North Koreans in USC and 4 in NYU?? Is this real??
I'm just curious.

Good stuff, I wonder what 2009 entering statistics will be. As an international student it means a lot to have at least one person from your home that you can relate to :)

3 North Koreans in USC and 4 in NYU?? Is this real??
I'm just curious.

Would you like those numbers to be different or are you having a hard time with the cardinal direction?

Good stuff, I wonder what 2009 entering statistics will be. As an international student it means a lot to have at least one person from your home that you can relate to :)

Sounds like you would prefer to have a package deal?

Would you like those numbers to be different or are you having a hard time with the cardinal direction?

I thought N.Korean can't live or stay in US. I could be wrong though.

With a common sense, I believe the N. Koreans are those who are from the territory above the North Korea. Actually, they are not North Koreans.

Maybe, I am wrong! :laugh:

One thing I am sure is that they are anyway very sucessful people. However, it's also noticeable that they are still rare. Hm....Good to know about it, and it is very impressive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only Four s. Korean at NYU...
But 23 total international out of 200 at NYU...

So, it means a lot of Canadian students will also attend NYU.

Among them, I believe the majority of them are also Korean. :love:

So, I am now interested in how many Koreans will attend NYU in my class. And, I will soon figure it out by opening a new thread unless there is a new thread concerning the simliar issue.

So, it means a lot of Canadian students will also attend NYU.

Among them, I believe the majority of them are also Korean. :love:

So, I am now interested in how many Koreans will attend NYU in my class. And, I will soon figure it out by opening a new thread unless there is a new thread concerning the simliar issue.

I hear the Koreans at PENN are the most cut throat of them all..

visbimmer, do us all a favour and associate with non-koreans too, and share study materials indiscriminately ;) the stereotypes are horrible.

guys... there can't be North Koreans in any country besides maybe China if they survive getting over the border through TIGHT security

North Korea is still a communist country unfortunately.

I hear the Koreans at PENN are the most cut throat of them all..

visbimmer, do us all a favour and associate with non-koreans too, and share study materials indiscriminately ;) the stereotypes are horrible.

i laughed out loud in the quiet library and everyone looked at me.

Interesting...Temple had 0 international students, despite them being known as Canadian friendly...What happened?!?

this post looks great but i can't just believe the numbers of koreans are smaller than i expected.. or maybe i had a very high expectation of international students acceptance rate :eek:(obviously i'm an international student as well..:laugh:)
but yeh, i wonder how this year's cycle is going to be..
and also, does any one know if this includes ppl with residency (green card) or if this only includes kids on visa status?

Last edited:
and also, does any one know if this includes ppl with residency (green card) or if this only includes kids on visa status?

Students that have a green card would not be considered "international students" now would they?

Interesting. Out of curiosity, does any one know why Koreans outnumber all of the other nationalities (aside from Canada)? I would think that there are also a lot of Indians and other Asian nations being represented in this pool?

this post looks great but i can't just believe the numbers of koreans are smaller than i expected.. or maybe i had a very high expectation of international students acceptance rate :eek:(obviously i'm an international student as well..:laugh:)

Green card holders are not international students. They are pretty much equal to the citizens in essential things like getting federal loans, residence of the state, etc.

Green card holders are not international students. They are pretty much equal to the citizens in essential things like getting federal loans, residence of the state, etc.

If I look at my school from the list, I think they considered green card holders as international students.

If I look at my school from the list, I think they considered green card holders as international students.

Which school is it?
Green card holders are considered permanent residents in the States and the schools that don't accept international students say they accept US citizens or permanent residents. PRs are eligible for FAFSA as well. As far as I know, they are different from US citizens in not being able to vote and receive some benefits from the state (there are probably other things, too).

Which school is it?
Green card holders are considered permanent residents in the States and the schools that don't accept international students say they accept US citizens or permanent residents. PRs are eligible for FAFSA as well. As far as I know, they are different from US citizens in not being able to vote and receive some benefits from the state (there are probably other things, too).

I know. But in this list, ADEA included permanent residents. Even if they are permanent residents, they still have a foreign passport. I think thats why ADEA considered them as international students. That's my guess.

3 north koreans @ uop. interesting, i've never seen one in my life.

As a south Korean, it makes no sense to me that north koreans even come to United States. Most of them can barely survive from starvation! There may be some errors with the statistics with LLU, because I know personally couple of international south koreans, who were accepted to it last year.

I know. But in this list, ADEA included permanent residents. Even if they are permanent residents, they still have a foreign passport. I think thats why ADEA considered them as international students. That's my guess.
I am not sure how ADEA compiled stats in their book and whether they included green card holders under "international enrollees"...

As a south Korean, it makes no sense to me that north koreans even come to United States. Most of them can barely survive from starvation! There may be some errors with the statistics with LLU, because I know personally couple of international south koreans, who were accepted to it last year.
Why doesn't it make sense? I am sure some North Koreans get out of their country and are able to live somewhere else.

I'm bit confused. I checked the list in attached file. Many schools from the list does not even accept undergraduate degree or couses outside US or Canada !!! How come they have international student? Are these students graduated from undergraduate school from US as International student and continuing their educational career in dental school? or these are internatioal dentist enrolled in advanced standing program?

At least one school I know (NYU), they do not accept undergraduate degrees from outside US. But they do have Advanced Standing program for International dentist. Bit strange but that's their policy !!!

My specific interest in schools who accept undergraduate degrees from outside US or Cananda and also sponser some kind of student visa. If anyone has any information, please post it here.

I'm bit confused. I checked the list in attached file. Many schools from the list does not even accept undergraduate degree or couses outside US or Canada !!! How come they have international student? Are these students graduated from undergraduate school from US as International student and continuing their educational career in dental school? or these are internatioal dentist enrolled in advanced standing program?

At least one school I know (NYU), they do not accept undergraduate degrees from outside US. But they do have Advanced Standing program for International dentist. Bit strange but that's their policy !!!

My specific interest in schools who accept undergraduate degrees from outside US or Cananda and also sponser some kind of student visa. If anyone has any information, please post it here.

The requirement that you speak of for NYU and perhaps other ds does not change the international students status of the applicants/enrollees. While there may be some erroneous information given by individual schools, the information in the ADEA guide reflects data on enrollee for the year in question.

yes, i think those numbers reflect mostly the students that went to undergrad in US but are here only on an F1 visa...most schools I looked at don't accept international undergrads...or if they do, they want you to have at least the requirements taken at an American college...but as far as those numbers, I'm almost confident they are not the advanced standing dentists, but just internationals with American degrees...or at least I like to see it that way...

I find it very awkward though that there are hardly any Europeans...a few Africans, very few South Americans....mostly Asians, and even those, not South or Central Asia...is this becoming a profiling thing? What happened to the rest of the world? are they not even applying or they're just ignored if they're not South Koreans?

yes, i think those numbers reflect mostly the students that went to undergrad in US but are here only on an F1 visa...most schools I looked at don't accept international undergrads...or if they do, they want you to have at least the requirements taken at an American college...but as far as those numbers, I'm almost confident they are not the advanced standing dentists, but just internationals with American degrees...or at least I like to see it that way...

I find it very awkward though that there are hardly any Europeans...a few Africans, very few South Americans....mostly Asians, and even those, not South or Central Asia...is this becoming a profiling thing? What happened to the rest of the world? are they not even applying or they're just ignored if they're not South Koreans?

lets change that for this cycle hehe :D

Before you develop a massive MI over the perceived "profiling" you might want to consider that each year's crop is a roll of the dice. For the class entering 2007 there were many countries not represented in 2008. Here's an alphabetical list for you. At least one country's representative should warm your heart. Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Columbia, Czech Republic, Egypt, Ghana, Haiti, Israel, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Laos, Mexico, Nicaragua, Pakistan, Peru, Romania, Russian Federation, Saudi Arabia, Switzerland, Syria, United Kingdom, Uzbekistan, Venezuela and Zimbabwe.

Before you develop a massive MI over the perceived "profiling" you might want to consider that each year's crop is a roll of the dice. For the class entering 2007 there were many countries not represented in 2008. Here's an alphabetical list for you. At least one country's representative should warm your heart. Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Columbia, Czech Republic, Egypt, Ghana, Haiti, Israel, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Laos, Mexico, Nicaragua, Pakistan, Peru, Romania, Russian Federation, Saudi Arabia, Switzerland, Syria, United Kingdom, Uzbekistan, Venezuela and Zimbabwe.

oh...i didn't make a big deal out of it...or didn't mean to...i don't think it really matters where you're coming from as long as you don't have that green card...but yeah, i love that list :)

There are 4 Koreans in Harvard?? Interesting...

What's more interesting is that there are 3 and 4 North Koreans at USC and NYU, respectively..
I didn't know they can come here to study..

The attachment file was modified to include recent information published by ADA regarding the level of advanced standing at which graduates of international dental schools are admitted to US DS.