Questions for interviewers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DVMhopeful

AVC c/o 2013!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions for questions to ask interviewers once they are finished questioning you? Any help would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Generally, I asked about research opportunities and what types of electives had been offered recently.

I was also able to come up with more specific questions by looking through the school's website and going to information sessions before the interviews.

I think my questions were also from looking at the website.

Check out the interview feedback section of this website if you haven't already - it's at the top of the page.

Members don't see this ad :)
I asked them why they chose the schools that they attended!

I asked either about programs I was interested in or major events they had going on. For example, at Tufts, I asked what specific selectives programs they had that might be applicable to me, and at Purdue I asked what kind of events they were involved in/excited about in association with their year long 50th anniversary celebration. Do your research in any way that you can and let it show when you ask questions!

One of my interviewers was involved in the community practice part of the school, and the other was with the LA mobile service. So of my 2 questions, one was specific and the other was generic.

I asked if there was any exposure to flank spays in their programs, either general surgery or shelter medicine. (which there really isnt) and then mentioned a couple of the indications for it to the LA vet.

My other question was if they had any advice for me when trying to look for giardia via a direct fecal smear. (They recommended staining with lugols iodine).

I'm convinced it was the second question that actually got me in.

I would ask what they think the weakness of their school are. You want to make sure it's the best fit possible

Generally, I asked about research opportunities and what types of electives had been offered recently.

I was also able to come up with more specific questions by looking through the school's website and going to information sessions before the interviews.

Yeah. I still think it's really hard though because honestly, most of the questions I could come up with I could find answers to on the internet if I actually looked hard enough.

But you definitely want to have some qeustions for them. I don't remember what I asked my interviewers though lol.

I asked what my interviewers thought were the strengths and weaknesses of the program. And then I asked them why they had chosed to work at that school as opposed to somewhere else.

I asked about research opportunities and what the equine caseloads were like.

OH WAIT. NOW I REMEMBER.

One of the things that I asked was what opportunities are available during the summer (in between semesters)?

Yeah, I definitely didn't ask any questions D:

The interview was very conversational, and by the time we got to the end, all the questions I had were answered either by the interviewers, students I'd talked to previously, or the extremely helpful faculty wandering around all day. Instead of just re-asking something, I of course made it all awkward by bumbling about:

"No, I don't...I mean, I wish I had a question but seriously everyone has been so nice...I had some, but they got answered...man, this is the worst interview faux-pas...your school's just too helpful!"

It didn't hurt. So if you get to the end of the interview and draw a blank, don't panic.

Yeah, I definitely didn't ask any questions D:

The interview was very conversational, and by the time we got to the end, all the questions I had were answered either by the interviewers, students I'd talked to previously, or the extremely helpful faculty wandering around all day. Instead of just re-asking something, I of course made it all awkward by bumbling about:

"No, I don't...I mean, I wish I had a question but seriously everyone has been so nice...I had some, but they got answered...man, this is the worst interview faux-pas...your school's just too helpful!"

It didn't hurt. So if you get to the end of the interview and draw a blank, don't panic.

Yeah, seriously. I deliberately didn't ask things ealier that I could have because I didn't want to use up all my questions :)

We all know that if you just take the time to ask a few questions before your interview (during the tour, assuming the school provides one) then you can have all your questions answered right there.
(By the time I was actually called into my interview at Penn, I had already been at the school for over three hours, and that was plenty of time to get questions answered if i had wanted)

But I still think it LOOKS (well, sounds) better if you ask your interviewers questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, seriously. I deliberately didn't ask things ealier that I could have because I didn't want to use up all my questions :)

We all know that if you just take the time to ask a few questions before your interview (during the tour, assuming the school provides one) then you can have all your questions answered right there.
(By the time I was actually called into my interview at Penn, I had already been at the school for over three hours, and that was plenty of time to get questions answered if i had wanted)

But I still think it LOOKS (well, sounds) better if you ask your interviewers questions.

Oh, it's certainly the 'better' way to go. I was upset with myself because I used to teach interviewing skills, and that was something I really focussed on - showing your interviewer that you're interested in their company/program/etc. ...

I will say this, for future interviewees - it isn't a bad thing to not have questions, if the interview has had a good exchange all along (that was part of the issue - I'd already asked them a bunch of questions). But definitely have questions at some point.

As a non-trad, I asked one of the interviewers if they have been a vet for their entire professional career.

I asked another if they could meet anyone in time (past or present), who would it be any why.

I asked another if they could meet anyone in time (past or present), who would it be any why.

I was using the "questions about the school" rather than "questions about the interviewers" strategy :)

thanks everyone, you have definately given me a lot of good ideas!

If you have any specific interests, ask about related opportunity or resources that the school has to offer. Of course, don't ask things they you can find readily on the school's website.

I want to pursue veterinary acupuncture, so during my interviews I asked what was the faculty's general attitude toward acupuncture. To me that was very important to know; it's fine if a school doesn't offer learning opportunity, but I defintely don't want to face faculty that would just scoff at it.

It's not about asking the questions that would impress the interviewers, but rather about finding information that would help you determine which school is right for you.

Before my interview at Miss State - they gave a very complete orientation about research opportunities, dress code, expectations, financial, ect.

Pretty much answered any of my questions I had planned.

I ended up explaining that the orientation did a wonderful job answering any questions I had, and therefore ended it with:

Are there any aspects of my interview that have left any doubts about you advocating for my acceptance? Any aspects of my answers I did not articulate properly that perhaps I can elaborate on?

They actually DID ask me to elaborate on something, and we spend another 5 min shooting the breeze.

Worked well for me, but I was careful to judge my committee''s personalities. I could have seen such a remark backfiring, but I took the chance.

How many graduates go on to pursue internships?
What was the first time board pass rate last year?
I'm interested in (whatever). Does the school have a club or society for that?
As a professor(s) here, what do you think are the school's greatest strengths, and where does it have room to improve?
Are there any changes being considered to the current curriculum?
If you could pass on one piece of advice to new veterinary students, what would it be?
I know (insert the school name here) has an outstanding reputation for (insert relevant area). What in particular makes this so?

etcetc.

My two questions I mainly asked were: Why did they choose to come work at XX university, was there something in particular that drew them to this school versus other. The responses were really interesting. My 2nd one was, in this economy there is surely going to be a reduction in donations to the school, and budgets from the states, how did they see that would affect the programs at the CVM

Well, I asked what the interviewers' interests were and kind of steered the conversation toward adding a few more points about me. I asked a few follow up questions about their specialty selection process. Of course, I tried to get info on the new curriculum.

... I can't believe I didn't mention RAVS at all.

I asked my interviewers if:
-they felt OSU's large class size (140 per class) made it difficult to get the hands on experience one needs (despite the school's large case load)
-there were opportunities to work with exotics or any veterinary volunteer work abroad
-they could tell me what their opinion of both the school's greatest strength and weakness

I think I asked about caseloads, opportunities for off-site externships, and maybe that was it.

I am very curious, for those of you that asked what interviewers thought of their school's weaknesses, what did they say? I would be too chicken to ask that I think :laugh:

Before my interview at Miss State - they gave a very complete orientation about research opportunities, dress code, expectations, financial, ect.

Pretty much answered any of my questions I had planned.

I ended up explaining that the orientation did a wonderful job answering any questions I had, and therefore ended it with:

Are there any aspects of my interview that have left any doubts about you advocating for my acceptance? Any aspects of my answers I did not articulate properly that perhaps I can elaborate on?

They actually DID ask me to elaborate on something, and we spend another 5 min shooting the breeze.

Worked well for me, but I was careful to judge my committee''s personalities. I could have seen such a remark backfiring, but I took the chance.

you totally won this thread

Agreed! I am definately going to ask something along those lines at the end of my interview. Again, thanks for all the help everyone!