2009-2010 Columbia University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PROMPT

What satisfactions do you expect to receive from your activities as a physician? (limit 2475 characters)

In what collegiate extracurricular activities did you engage? (list format, limit 760 characters)

List collegiate honors,awards, and memberships in honorary societies. (list format, limit 345 characters)

About how many hours per week, if any, did you spend in work for which you were recompensed during the college year? (limit 200 characters)

What sort of work did you do (include summer employment)? (list format, limit 1000 characters)

If your education has been interrupted for any reason, please indicate briefly the reasons, the duration of the interruption and how your time was spent. (limit 750 characters)

LOR REQUIREMENTS

Committee letter/packet

OR

Indivdiual Letters -
3 LORs; no particular requirements except "three persons familiar with your work"

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
How does P&S's secondary come out before the primary applications are even received? I thought AMCAS didn't send out the first set of applications until the 24th...

Members don't see this ad :)
How does P&S's secondary come out before the primary applications are even received? I thought AMCAS didn't send out the first set of applications until the 24th...

Schools get some sort of early notice from AMCAS, before June 24, about applicants.

Yeah, I think I got Columbia and WashU's application within days of my June application. They are speedy!

With that, I wish everyone a good application cycle. When you interview, feel free to PM me and I'll stop by to meet you. My university isn't exactly highly represented in interviews, so you can be my surrogates instead :D

Yeah, I think I got Columbia and WashU's application within days of my June application. They are speedy!

With that, I wish everyone a good application cycle. When you interview, feel free to PM me and I'll stop by to meet you. My university isn't exactly highly represented in interviews, so you can be my surrogates instead :D

thanks!! here's hoping we all get interviews :luck:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you're allowed to start filling out the Columbia secondary as soon as you have a AAMC number, before you even submit your AMCAS. It's just on a website, so you make an account, log in, and start filling it out. You don't have to wait for the school to invite you to fill it out, it's just available online. Same was true of Yale, Hopkins, etc.

I went to their website and I can't start the secondary application..
It just says I'll be available on June 15th..
Can anyone actually start filling it out?

I was able to start filling it out. There is a option to make a new user id and password

That's so weird.. I tried making new account and it keeps saying I already have an account and won't let me make a new one lol

That's so weird.. I tried making new account and it keeps saying I already have an account and won't let me make a new one lol

Congrats, first rejection of the cycle! By a computer program no less! :laugh:

I tease and wish you the best of luck. I'd just wait until they send it to you via email. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone confirm that the prompts are identical to last year's?
Yes; see below

1)
What satisfactions do you expect to receive from your activities as a physician?*Enter your response in essay format. LIMIT WRITING TO 2475 CHARACTERS.

2)In what collegiate extracurricular activities did you engage?* Enter your response in list format using commas. LIMIT WRITING TO 760 CHARACTERS. Do not use return or enter.

3) Please list collegiate honors,awards, and memberships in honorary societies* Enter your response in list format using commas. LIMIT WRITING TO 345 CHARACTERS. Do not use return or enter

4. About how many hours per week, if any, did you spend in work for which you were recompensed during the college year?* LIMIT WRITING TO 200 CHARACTERS. Do not use return or enter.

5. What sort of work did you do (include summer employment)?* Enter your response in list format using commas. LIMIT WRITING TO 1000 CHARACTERS. Do not use return or enter.

6. If your education has been interrupted for any reason, please indicate briefly the reasons, the duration of the interruption and how your time was spent. Enter your response in essay format. LIMIT WRITING TO 750 CHARACTERS. Do not use return or enter.

7) (I Think only if you are applying to this program) What aspect of the Columbia-Bassett Program has the most appeal for you? Enter your response in essay format. LIMIT WRITING TO 750 CHARACTERS. Do not use return or enter.

Can any one confrim that on the program page, under "Select the program to which you are applying*" there are only three options
1) MD
2) MD/PhD
3) Columibia-Basset

I am 100% sure that yesterday there were four options with the fourth as:

4) MD or Columbia-Basset

i donot see the fourth one now.

Am I Crazy? what happened?

I just hate this question:
In what collegiate extracurricular activities did you engage? List them;

I was planning to write a para on how the activites played a role in shaping my personality and for the activites just say refer to AMCAS. Is that a bad way of telling them that it is a stupid question?

Last edited:

I was planning to write a para on how the activites played a role in shaping my personality and for the activites just say refer to AMCAS. Is that a bad way of telling them that it is a stupid question?

don't do it. this process is full of hoops. you gotta jump, and at least pretend to be happy about it.

I took columbia off my list a few days before i submitted:(...i should have kept it

I think this is a really stupid question: what do they expect from you in 700 or so characters?? you can't write anything in that except maybe list everything you did in college extracurricularly

Can any one confrim that on the program page, under "Select the program to which you are applying*" there are only three options
1) MD
2) MD/PhD
3) Columibia-Basset

I am 100% sure that yesterday there were four options with the fourth as:

4) MD or Columbia-Basset

i donot see the fourth one now.

Am I Crazy? what happened?

any one check this

I checked and it's gone. I remember seeing that option yesterday as well. Yesterday, I think it was a drop down box also. Today, you have to select using the radio buttons.

So does Columbia give out interviews rolling-based and acceptances non-rolling just like Yale?

Some of you are starting secondaries extremely early for non-rolling schools..

So does Columbia give out interviews rolling-based and acceptances non-rolling just like Yale?

Some of you are starting secondaries extremely early for non-rolling schools..
Their fault for making them available early!:D

South Asia and South east Asia are also ethnicities? Columbia, You are killing me. Take some time to read over what you are writing; we may be desperate premeds but we are not idiots, even if you would like to think so.
Boycott Columbia, Now:smuggrin:. Who's with me?

Last edited:
i started filling it out too. i love the redundancy in this whole process...
what do they expect for the prompt about what work you did?! they want tasks? titles? places of employment?

i started filling it out too. i love the redundancy in this whole process...
what do they expect for the prompt about what work you did?! they want tasks? titles? places of employment?
for the one about work during school I just did title, and hours per week

for the one that said include summer employment, I put title, years, tasks which came out to be like 2-3 short sentences for each, but I only had 4 work experiences to list so maybe that's how I got away with that...

FML: thanks for the help!

btw, i checked out your MDapp; dont listen to those who say you have a long list! i have a long list too and am equally petrified of not gettin in anywhere!
but i think were doing the right thing for our situation...GOOD LUCK!

FML: thanks for the help!

btw, i checked out your MDapp; dont listen to those who say you have a long list! i have a long list too and am equally petrified of not gettin in anywhere!
but i think were doing the right thing for our situation...GOOD LUCK!
Thanks! Nice to know someone gets me lol
Good luck to you too :)

Do you guys know if I have to make a new profile for the columbia secondary if I have applied in previous cycles? I tried to make another profile and it recognized me and said that I already had a pin.

Do you guys know if I have to make a new profile for the columbia secondary if I have applied in previous cycles? I tried to make another profile and it recognized me and said that I already had a pin.

it says that to me too and i've never applied before :shrug:

I updated the prompt on the first post.

Can someone PM the LOR requirements to ksmi117 so she can update that part? I'm in china and have really limited internet acccess!

good luck!

by characters, do they include spaces?

Why won't it let me submit?

It officially says now on the login page that the application is available but when I try to submit, a message says that the deadline has passed

wtf?

Why won't it let me submit?

It officially says now on the login page that the application is available but when I try to submit, a message says that the deadline has passed

wtf?

im having the same problem :(. im guessing it will clear up soon but let me know if you hear anything about it.

Should the "science GPA" we enter include math grades?

One more question on the GPA thing...my institution gives A+ grades but AMCAS doesn't. Would it be terrible if I put the GPA my institution gave me and not the made up one AMCAS decided to put on my application?

i think the amcas gpa goes in the undergraduate GPA, and the GPA from your institution goes in the institution GPA

i have 2 undergrads so thats how i interpretted those two gpas

Does anyone know why they ask us to list extracurriculars when the information is on our AMCAS? Do they want this new list to include activities that maybe weren't huge commitments? I want to make sure I'm doing this right. For example, I did Ultimate frisbee for a month...am I supposed to list that here? I guess I'm confused as to why they are asking again if they dont want us to repeat info?

im having the same problem :(. im guessing it will clear up soon but let me know if you hear anything about it.

I just submitted now so I guess they fixed the problem. I suppose it was probably just a timing issue, where they opened up the application but didn't get around to changing the submission dates in the program.

Does anyone know why they ask us to list extracurriculars when the information is on our AMCAS? Do they want this new list to include activities that maybe weren't huge commitments? I want to make sure I'm doing this right. For example, I did Ultimate frisbee for a month...am I supposed to list that here? I guess I'm confused as to why they are asking again if they dont want us to repeat info?

I think they just want you to list the activities again but only the ones done at college. At least, that's what I did.

Hey FML. Did you get an email from Columbia saying you applied to the entering class of August '09. After submitting this morning, I got that today and was weirded out.

Last edited:
yea, just got it.

probably a mere remnant from this past cycle but a little unnerving nonetheless

I'm sure they'll email us with a correction or something soon.... I hope :oops:

yea, just got it.

probably a mere remnant from this past cycle but a little unnerving nonetheless

I'm sure they'll email us with a correction or something soon.... I hope :oops:

Does anyone want to call up those people?

you guys know if we glue our pictures to that form? how would you attach your picture to the form?

does anyone know the LOR requirements? is it o.k. to send more than 3 letters? thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.