2009-2010 Northwestern University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PROMPT

Essay 1 - Personal Characteristics

Describe the personal characteristics that distinguish you from other applicants and tell us how they predict success as a Feinberg School of Medicine medical student and as a future physician.

(Limit your response to about 400 words)

Essay 2 - Coping Skills

Describe how you coped when confronted with a difficult personal (non-academic) situation.

(Limit your response to this space or about 400 words.)

Essay 3 - Other Pursuits

Describe your experiences away from traditional educational pursuits, such as travel or time spent in the work force (other than summer or part-time employment). Specify the time frame. If you have been in school continuously, then describe a non-academic activity which has been formative.

(Limit your response to about 400 words.)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anyone have info on the secondary, like when it comes out and whether they screen?

Searching through last year's threads I read that they start being sent out around mid-July and they only give you two weeks to submit them... I don't think they screen either.

Members don't see this ad :)
*gulp*

Two weeks? Hahaha, I don't plan on taking that long, but I hate that there's no choice!

Searching through last year's threads I read that they start being sent out around mid-July and they only give you two weeks to submit them... I don't think they screen either.

does that include LORs???

I didn't see it specified on the thread, but I'm assuming the two weeks is only for turning in the secondary, and has nothing to do with LORs.

I didn't see it specified on the thread, but I'm assuming the two weeks is only for turning in the secondary, and has nothing to do with LORs.

i hope not...

MSAR says they send the secondary application to AMCAS...what exactly does this mean?

Also, does anyone know if they screen their primary apps?

MSAR says they send the secondary application to AMCAS...what exactly does this mean?

Also, does anyone know if they screen their primary apps?
Pretty sure they mean that they send the secondary to people that apply through AMCAS (i.e. everyone)

Ok what are the prompts for their secondaries? Do they change them every year or not? If not, someone please post them here so I can start working on them.

look through the 2008-2009 NW thread for old prompts

I just got a supplemental application.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Essay 1 - Personal Characteristics

Describe the personal characteristics that distinguish you from other applicants and tell us how they predict success as a Feinberg School of Medicine medical student and as a future physician.

(Limit your response to about 400 words)

Essay 2 - Coping Skills

Describe how you coped when confronted with a difficult personal (non-academic) situation.

(Limit your response to this space or about 400 words.)

Essay 3 - Other Pursuits

Describe your experiences away from traditional educational pursuits, such as travel or time spent in the work force (other than summer or part-time employment). Specify the time frame. If you have been in school continuously, then describe a non-academic activity which has been formative.

(Limit your response to about 400 words.)

Maybe it's a test batch. I would really like mine though, because tomorrow is the best day for me to do secondaries for the next couple of weeks. I guess I just have to cram this one into my schedule somewhere else.

I don't understand why in every school thread people ask if the secondary is screened. Why is it so important to know that? Just do the darn secondaries as they come because whether the schools screen or not, you're gonna have to do it to get interviews and to get in to the school.

I don't understand why in every school thread people ask if the secondary is screened. Why is it so important to know that? Just do the darn secondaries as they come because whether the schools screen or not, you're gonna have to do it to get interviews and to get in to the school.

Curiosity...

didn't that kill the cat or something?

BUT satisfaction brought him back ;)

Just playing Devil's advocate. I also don't understand why people keep asking if schools screen - if it matters so much, just look at the website!

"Describe your experiences away from traditional educational pursuits, such as travel or time spent in the work force (other than summer or part-time employment). Specify the time frame. If you have been in school continuously, then describe a non-academic activity which has been formative."

For this question, does the parenthetical comment also apply to travel? (As in, if we traveled during the summer, we cannot write about it? It can only be travel during the school year?)

I think you can write about summer travels if you've been in school continuously (i.e. going straight from undergrad to med school). If you haven't...I think they want you to write about what you've done in the period you weren't in school that has contributed to your development.

Hmmm... I figured that I would see this one by now. Perhaps this week!!!

"Describe your experiences away from traditional educational pursuits, such as travel or time spent in the work force (other than summer or part-time employment). Specify the time frame. If you have been in school continuously, then describe a non-academic activity which has been formative."

For this question, does the parenthetical comment also apply to travel? (As in, if we traveled during the summer, we cannot write about it? It can only be travel during the school year?)

I'm pretty sure the first part of the question (up through the parentheses) is referring to taking time off from school or between undergrad and med school. If you've been in school continuously, then talk about a non-academic activity. In any case, why would you EVER want to talk about a travel experience when you can do so much more talking about a formative non-academic activity??

I don't have this one yet!! :(

I guess that is a bad sign if I didn't recieve one :(

I guess that is a bad sign if I didn't recieve one :(

No, you're fine. I haven't gotten this one yet either, and my AMCAS was verified 6/24. I think they're just overwhelmed with lots of apps and haven't sent all of the secondaries out yet. They don't screen, so you will get one eventually! :)

No, you're fine. I haven't gotten this one yet either, and my AMCAS was verified 6/24. I think they're just overwhelmed with lots of apps and haven't sent all of the secondaries out yet. They don't screen, so you will get one eventually! :)

I actually just got mine :D. It's funny because I could have swore I read that they screen applicants on their website. They must have changed it or something.

Got the secondary today. Prompt:

Describe the personal characteristics that distinguish you from other applicants and tell us how they predict success as a Feinberg School of Medicine medical student and as a future physician. (Limit response to about 400 words)

Describe how you coped when confronted with a difficult personal (non-academic) situation. (400 words)

Describe your experiences away from traditional educational pursuits, such as travel or time spent in the work force (other than summer or part-time employment). Specify the time frame. If you have been in school continuously, then describe a non-academic activity which has been formative. (400 words)

For the third question I wonder if talking about activities I have done through my fraternity?

I talked about my fraternity!!! What fraternity are you in? I'm SigEp

Cool man, I'm in Epsilon Pi Alpha. It's still nice to see another greek applying to med school!

Last edited:
I sumbitted the primary a month ago.

Still no email from northwestern :eek:

For essay 1, what does "personal characteristics" mean?

I didn't any email but my status page says complete and under review. I submitted yesterday. Speedy turn-around :thumbup:.

Status
Not open for further replies.