2009-2010 University of Louisville School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ignore this thread for now. I'm sorry it's cluttering the forum. :(

I know it's too early for this. but I'm making all the school-specific threads now so I can link them to the main index thread, so everything's ready to go for the 2009-2010 application season :) I'd rather do it all in one sitting than try to spread the work out over the upcoming months.

So bear with me, and I apologize again for the clutter. These threads will move off the front page really soon, so you can really ignore them until the summer.

Members don't see this ad.

I guess I'll be the first! I'm applying to Louisville this fall. Does anyone have any info/experience with the dual degree MD/MA in Bioethics?

Hey deano. I too am applying to UofL. Unfortunately, I don't have any information about the dual degree. How far along are you with the application process?

Members don't see this ad :)
Primary has been submitted for a while, still waiting on a secondary from Louisville. Does anyone know if it is going to be snail mail or email?

i dont think anyone has gotten it yet

I got an email saying:

The University of Louisville School of Medicine has received your verified AMCAS application. You have indicated that you will be taking/retaking the MCAT at a future date. ULSOM committee review is based on the latest MCAT score. Therefore, the secondary application screening of your file has been suspended. As soon as we receive your MCAT score we will resume processing your file.

I guess that this means they are currently screening applicants for the secondary application. I took the June 18th MCAT so hopefully I'll here something soon.

Good luck.

Prompts:
What career(s) would you probably consider if you could not be a physician?
How do you see yourself practicing medicine after residency training?
Discuss briefly why you have decided to pursue a M.D. degree program?
Circumstances adversely affecting your academic performance?
How do you assess your college record?
What determined your choice of college(s)?
If you are an out of state student, please explain your interest in attending the University of Louisville School of Medicine?

Letter of Recommendation:
Three academic letters; preferably 2 science and 1 non-science.

Is anyone else having an issue with the site? I can't get it to go past the violations thing... :scared: Nvm... figured it out in Chrome.

Last edited:
It is.It took me quite awhile to complete.Mailed off my receipt and check today.

I still haven't received this one. Anyone else who put Louisville on thier AMCAS not get this yet?

EDIT: I am AMCAS verified and have been for nearly a month...

Last edited:
I still haven't received this one. Anyone else who put Louisville on thier AMCAS not get this yet?

EDIT: I am AMCAS verified and have been for nearly a month...

Same here SportingMD54. I've been verified since 6/8 or so. Are you out of state? I'm thinking that might be why I haven't gotten one yet. Do they screen?

I'm out-of-state and was verified before 6/24.I got my secondary on Monday.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here SportingMD54. I've been verified since 6/8 or so. Are you out of state? I'm thinking that might be why I haven't gotten one yet. Do they screen?

Yes, I am also out of state, but it looks like some of the others that got it are too. Oh well, guess I will just keep on waiting for either a small letter in the mail or an email giving me the secondary... I honestly don't see me getting screened for stats at this school (I am over their averages in everything), but you never know. Perhaps the people that already have it are in the 90th percentile in stats or something.

yeah I'm OOS too - i got mine on Monday as well. Don't know when i was verified.

Prompts:
What career(s) would you probably consider if you could not be a physician?
How do you see yourself practicing medicine after residency training?
Discuss briefly why you have decided to pursue a M.D. degree program?
Circumstances adversely affecting your academic performance?
How do you assess your college record?
What determined your choice of college(s)?
If you are an out of state student, please explain your interest in attending the University of Louisville School of Medicine?

Letter of Recommendation:
Three academic letters; preferably 2 science and 1 non-science.

I want to shout at them to read my personal statement...

That would be hilarious if you put "See Personal Statement".:laugh:

I almost did it, and then I realized that it would be a poor choice. I instead wrote about the main reason I was motivated to change majors and become a doc :)

hey i can't find it, but is there a word or character limit to these essays?

hey i can't find it, but is there a word or character limit to these essays?

500 characters with spaces for everything. They like it short and concise. This one actually wasn't too bad for me because I knew what I wanted to say pretty well :)

Did you all get the secondary by email? I still haven't received one...

Did you all get the secondary by email? I still haven't received one...

I wouldn't worry about it. I think they send them out in batches. I got mine on 7/10 while many others received it on 7/6. Perhaps next week. I don't know if they screen, but if they do, I doubt it is that hard. I don't recall their MSAR stats being that high.

does anyone know what to enter on the course listed tab if some of your pre-reqs are AP, and why do they have 2 spaces for each pre-req (i.e. general biology)?

does anyone know what to enter on the course listed tab if some of your pre-reqs are AP, and why do they have 2 spaces for each pre-req (i.e. general biology)?

If it is AP, I just listed it as

AP: "Course Name" and then listed the university title and course number that it replaced.

There are two spaces there because you need to have two classes in that area with lab.

OOS Secondary Received.

Now to make the 10% of OOS applicants submitting to get an interview...

What a ridiculously tedious application...ugh filling this out is miserable.

me three...sportingmd helped a brotha out tho.

thanks!

I just started on this app. It is ridiculous. Did you guys write full responses for every prompt? Like the Foreign Travels one, I have never traveled over seas. Is it acceptable to just put that?

I wrote out full responses. For that question I'd just put "I have never traveled abroad"

Got the interview invite by email. Aug. 19, morning interviews. Anybody else?

for people who don't get invited for an interview, will they let us know by email, status page, or snail mail?

Same here. I guess they notify OOSers last.

Can someone post the link to the secondary? I think each thread should have that! POP3 emails get deleted off the server after outlook downloads them - and if you're moving around i can be a pain!

There was reportedly severe flooding at UofL so the university and the medical school are shut down as of today. Not sure when normal work will resume. Earliest might be tomorrow.

what an awful secondary. i dont get why we have to give them info that is already on our primary app. annoying

There was reportedly severe flooding at UofL so the university and the medical school are shut down as of today. Not sure when normal work will resume. Earliest might be tomorrow.

Yeah my sister got stuck in all that. I was thankful she made it home.

Yeah, i saw that on the news the other day. I hope everyone is safe. That's a great school.

What is everyone writing for this question?

"Describe any other areas in which you possess interest, expertise or skill. E.g., musicianship of a professional caliber, published writing, language spoken fluently, union level in trades, certification in other professional areas, scouting, etc."

I'm not a musician of professional caliber, I haven't been published, don't speak another language, have nothing to do with unions, not a Boy Scout, etc. So....lol, what do I write? Nothing?

What is everyone writing for this question?

"Describe any other areas in which you possess interest, expertise or skill. E.g., musicianship of a professional caliber, published writing, language spoken fluently, union level in trades, certification in other professional areas, scouting, etc."

I'm not a musician of professional caliber, I haven't been published, don't speak another language, have nothing to do with unions, not a Boy Scout, etc. So....lol, what do I write? Nothing?

I think I talked about being a coach. Just talk about something you are interested in. Your MDapp says you are a guitar player, talk about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.