2009-2010 Marshall University (Edwards) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ignore this thread for now. I'm sorry it's cluttering the forum. :(

I know it's too early for this. but I'm making all the school-specific threads now so I can link them to the main index thread, so everything's ready to go for the 2009-2010 application season :) I'd rather do it all in one sitting than try to spread the work out over the upcoming months.

So bear with me, and I apologize again for the clutter. These threads will move off the front page really soon, so you can really ignore them until the summer.

Members don't see this ad.

I just thought I would add these stats for all of those out-of-state applicants. I received a secondary today from Marshall (I am out of state)--but they automatically send secondaries to all applicants in states bordering West Virginia. They recommend that applicants make sure they are competitive before filling out the secondary (since there are only 20 out of state spots). I do not know what the GPA cut-off is, but the counselor I spoke to said that they want a 9 in each subject of the MCAT with no score lower than 8.

They won't start interviewing us out-of-state students until January.

This is definitely a school you should think very hard about applying to if you do not have ties to WV.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just thought I would add these stats for all of those out-of-state applicants. I received a secondary today from Marshall (I am out of state)--but they automatically send secondaries to all applicants in states bordering West Virginia. They recommend that applicants make sure they are competitive before filling out the secondary (since there are only 20 out of state spots). I do not know what the GPA cut-off is, but the counselor I spoke to said that they want a 9 in each subject of the MCAT with no score lower than 8.

They won't start interviewing us out-of-state students until January.

Did you already talk to the dean, because at the end of that email, it says call Dean Warren to make sure your application is competitive enough to apply.

I called her today after receiving the secondary application, she basically compares the scores to the average MCAT scores of the accepted students and same goes for the GPA and tells you whether you should apply. Also, she said that they start reviewing the applications December 1st for out-of-staters, and by mid-december most of the interviews are already sent out. I also asked her about grades for this semester, and she told me to send her a unofficial transcript through email, for those people who are planning to go to a special masters program of some sort.

-Deepal

Just finished 2ndary for this school. Good to know we don't need to expect to hear from them soon.

What are the essay questions? Thanks.

If I remember it was about why you wanted to go Marshall and what connections you have with the state of West Virginia?

I haven't read through this whole thread. Is there a secondary essay prompt? Let me know so I can update it on the first post.

So I realize I am like...a month late...but yes I did call the dean and ask her about being competitive. She encouraged me to apply and said I was very competitive but then said not to worry about it until Jan. 1. I wonder why we got different dates? Maybe they just realized they needed to get the process moving sooner than they had planned.

well I just shot the assistant dean of this school an email (I'd have called but its the weekend!) I don't know, I honestly just get a really good feel from their website. Hopefully that and my dad being a West Virginia alum count as sufficient state ties. Figured it was worth a roll of the dice! Hehehe. :)

Not a lot of action on this thread. I wonder though if OOS people have to send in their transcripts in January in order to still be considered at this school...

So I realize I am like...a month late...but yes I did call the dean and ask her about being competitive. She encouraged me to apply and said I was very competitive but then said not to worry about it until Jan. 1. I wonder why we got different dates? Maybe they just realized they needed to get the process moving sooner than they had planned.

Since its a state school they only start reviewing OOS apps in December.

Not a lot of action on this thread. I wonder though if OOS people have to send in their transcripts in January in order to still be considered at this school...

Did you ever find out about this? I contacted admissions and got a different answer in email than I did over the phone. :thumbup: Who to believe?

I'll be calling them back next week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same, oos also

Congrats! So I'm wondering if all of the out-of-state interview invites have been given. Would you guys mind mentioning when you submitted your applications?

i called them; they said that they will have handed out all their remaining oos interview invites in the next two weeks.

Congrats! So I'm wondering if all of the out-of-state interview invites have been given. Would you guys mind mentioning when you submitted your applications?

I submitted my secondary application a long time ago, probably around mid or late july....

I submitted my secondary application a long time ago, probably around mid or late july....

I was complete in October. I wonder if I'm in line to be interviewed... Guess we'll see!

Yeah i'm thinking it was late July. Just dropped my interview so hope it opens up for one of you guys!

Hey people,

so I just interviewed at Marshall today and I've gotta say that I was definitely impressed with the facilities. Given, I went in knowing very little about Marshall or Huntington beforehand, I found the staff to be extremely friendly and facilities to be really nice. I hope I hear something good from them in the first week of March!

Congrats to all of those who have gotten in! I received my interview invitation and will be interviewing on the 9th of February. What types of questions did they ask you for those who have already interviewed?

Congrats to all of those who have gotten in! I received my interview invitation and will be interviewing on the 9th of February. What types of questions did they ask you for those who have already interviewed?

It was very conversational. They were EXTREMELY nice and accomodating. I remember them asking about my research experience and about different activities on my application. They asked if there is anything I wanted them to tell the committee about myself so maybe think of something ahead of time so you'll be prepared for that question (b/c I wasn't!). They asked about why I wanted to be a doctor and what experiences led me to this career choice.

You have nothing to worry about for this interview! I have one or two negative things on my application and they asked about one of them very briefly and actually was joking with me about it. Just relax, be honest, and you'll be fine.

Withdrew from my inerview so I hope one of you here got it. Cindy warren is the nicest person I've met outside of the Iowa Adcom.

Does anyone remember when exactly Cindy Warren said out of state people would be hearing back? I remember hearing early-mid March, but can't remember if she said first week was more likely, etc.

I thought she said the first week of March. I believe you get a phone call if your in and a email (and letter) if your waitlisted/rejected.

keeping my fingers crossed

:xf:

....sucks to be out of state

Has anyone heard anything yet? I was hoping today would be the day.

me too, i haven't heard anything yet.

my friend and i both have not heard anything...

i think this is my first post? hmm

so anybody considered giving dean warren a call to see where they stand on making decisions?

not it.

Haha I like where your head's at. ...also not it.

Has anyone heard yet regarding any OOS acceptances?

I called yesterday. The AdCom meets on Thursday and the earliest we'll hear (if accepted) would be Sat.

well, I guess this means that our fates have been determined. good luck to everyone hoping to hear (possibly) tomorrow. if I don't end up at Marshall I think I'm gonna end up @ WVSOM.

I called yesterday. The AdCom meets on Thursday and the earliest we'll hear (if accepted) would be Sat.
I also called and was told that calls will be going out on Monday night. Either way, don't get your hopes dashed if you don't get a call tomorrow as it may not come until Monday night...

Good to know, Bouldering. When did you call? Definitely on pins and needles myself. Good luck all.

not to seem completely neurotic, but does anyone know around what time they're likely to make calls?

nothin'.

Last edited:
looks like we continue to play the waiting game....story of my life.

got the call 15 minutes ago--I'm in!!! First acceptance of the cycle! I'm gonna be a doctor:D

Best of luck to all of you who are still playing the waiting game!:luck:

Ive been sitting here hitting the refresh button over and over and over. I have to get out of here. Congrats to those who will be receiving a phone call tonight. Fingers crossed here.

I called for a status check myself around 3pm and Dean Warren told me over the phone that I'm the first one to get accepted. Good luck guys!

heh, so i guess if we don't hear tonight we can look forward to getting an e-mail sometime soonish?

Status
Not open for further replies.