Bio courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arginine1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering... since we all study for the same test but obviously have different academic background - what kind of science/bio/chem courses did you guys take besides the fundamentals?

Is there any course in particular that you found helpful for the DAT prep (besides the obvious fundamentals once again)?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm no expert, but I took Histology and Microbiology this past semester. These two subjects encompassed so much of the DAT, I would have done horribly if I didn't take them. Histology combines cell bio and physiology, while Micro is just such a vast area. One thing that really helped was having the Micro background--enabling me to read the Micro. RC. section with greater ease. Sometimes I even knew the answers without looking.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering... since we all study for the same test but obviously have different academic background - what kind of science/bio/chem courses did you guys take besides the fundamentals?

Is there any course in particular that you found helpful for the DAT prep (besides the obvious fundamentals once again)?
Upper division courses in:

-Molecular and Developmental Biology
-Embryology
-Genetics
-Physiology
-Anatomy&Morphology
-Ecology&Animal Behavior

...although not necessary, will be extremely helpful with the bio section of the exam.

Reactions: 1 user
Upper division courses in:

-Molecular and Developmental Biology
-Embryology
-Genetics
-Physiology
-Anatomy&Morphology
-Ecology&Animal Behavior

...although not necessary, will be extremely helpful with the bio section of the exam.

+1

Yep

Ecology
Evolution
Anatomy
Physiology
Plant and Animal- physio/anatomy
Genetics
Molecular Cell Biology

Have not studied for bio yet but I am hoping the classes that I have taken will help me out.

Interesting. You guys are all mentioning anatomy, but I haven't seen much anatomy in the kaplan BB or destroyer, or the practice tests to be honest. Like how detailed of anatomy are you talking about? Just the basic upper/lower limb bones, spinal cord, ear stuff? 'cause you learn that in any basic bio or at least physio class (or maybe in just like 30 minutes?) Did you guys notice any detailed anatomy questions?

for me, physiology was probably the single best class i took for the DAT. for our class, in addition to lectures, we had to attend a recitation session each week to cover the anatomy behind what we were learning (if we had not yet taken anatomy). but yeah, i feel like the anatomy i learned along with my physio class was sufficient for the DAT

Reactions: 1 user
Interesting. You guys are all mentioning anatomy, but I haven't seen much anatomy in the kaplan BB or destroyer, or the practice tests to be honest. Like how detailed of anatomy are you talking about? Just the basic upper/lower limb bones, spinal cord, ear stuff? 'cause you learn that in any basic bio or at least physio class (or maybe in just like 30 minutes?) Did you guys notice any detailed anatomy questions?

I have the same question. I haven't seen any anatomy past gen bio stuff in any test prep (unless you're counting physio stuff)... also, that's really the only thing on that makeshift list that I opted out of taking. Should I grab a review book on this? thanks in advance for any input