NYCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

life is good

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen a thread for this year started yet.

For all those interested in NYCOM Class of 2014, post here =) :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely interested, but this is the only school I have not heard from yet

Definitely interested, but this is the only school I have not heard from yet

i think that's normal. looking at last year's thread, it seems that they give out interview invites real late.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're in-state, expect to start hearing in October. Otherwise, expect November and later.

Should one send letters of recommendation to NYCOM now, or do they want them when they offer you the interview invite, since they really don't send you a secondary until you're invited.

Should one send letters of recommendation to NYCOM now, or do they want them when they offer you the interview invite, since they really don't send you a secondary until you're invited.

Good question

They'll let you know when they want your LORs, don't worry. :)

You can send them right now if you'd like. I called and asked about it and they said I was welcome to send it now... which was about a month ago.

I'm in the NYCOM 2014 boat as well....let's keep each other up to date.

I was reading on the NYCOM website that only those who are selected for interviews will receive secondaries....

Has anyone received a secondary and by virtue of receipt an interview...

I was reading on the NYCOM website that only those who are selected for interviews will receive secondaries....

Has anyone received a secondary and by virtue of receipt an interview...

Don't worry, NYCOM tends to take longer than other schools to get going on interview invites. Don't be surprised if you don't hear anything until the fall!

Members don't see this ad :)
You can send them right now if you'd like. I called and asked about it and they said I was welcome to send it now... which was about a month ago.

will they even look at these letters though? i mean, i have no problem with shelling out 4 bucks to send early letters to nycom. but, im skeptical if they'd even look at them, especially for an OOStater like myself. i guess it can't hurt, right?

Don't worry, NYCOM tends to take longer than other schools to get going on interview invites. Don't be surprised if you don't hear anything until the fall!

I just got an application acknowledgment earlier this afternoon. The email stated that NYCOM begins interviewing applicants in November. November?!?

I just got an application acknowledgment earlier this afternoon. The email stated that NYCOM begins interviewing applicants in November. November?!?

I got that today, too. Is this a precursor to receiving a secondary, or is this just a generic message they send to all applicants?

I got that today, too. Is this a precursor to receiving a secondary, or is this just a generic message they send to all applicants?

I was hoping it was a precursor, too. But the email said that they "...look forward to reviewing your application", so I think they were just acknowledging that they got our AACOMAS application.

I was hoping it was a precursor, too. But the email said that they "...look forward to reviewing your application", so I think they were just acknowledging that they got our AACOMAS application.

yea, that's kinda what i figured. but, i still ran to sdn hoping to hear what i wanted to hear!

Eh, it's nice to have a school that's taking it's time. Throwing more secondaries at me right now would be a great way to drive me nuts.

But yes, I also got that acknowledgement email today. They also said they were 'updating their application process', so I guess things are going to look a little different than last year?

Yeah, guys... but if you look into the school... you don't a secondary unless you get an invite for interviews... so, they must put a lot of emphasis and consideration toward the AACOMAS... which frankly, I wish more would do! (Frivolous secondaries for an extra buck is cruel!) :eek:

Yeah, guys... but if you look into the school... you don't a secondary unless you get an invite for interviews... so, they must put a lot of emphasis and consideration toward the AACOMAS... which frankly, I wish more would do! (Frivolous secondaries for an extra buck is cruel!) :eek:

I agree 100%!!

true. i put weeks of effort into my primary PS. i like to feel like its getting the attention i think it deserves! :laugh:

A quick question for you guys. My sister just graduated from NYCOM earlier this year. Does the fact that she is a NYCOM grad help my chances of admission at all?

A quick question for you guys. My sister just graduated from NYCOM earlier this year. Does the fact that she is a NYCOM grad help my chances of admission at all?

Well, I surely don't think it will hurt your chances.

While I agree with your last point, most schools review your primary and secondary and offer you an interview before NYCOM. But at least you're guaranteed an interview out of it.

I don't think that it will help you directly, but I do think it gives you the advantage of being familiar with the program. That equips you much better for filling out applications and for the interview. Take advantage of her knowledge, and ask her things about the school and what it is like to be there (y'know, if you can pry her away from residency).

Good luck!

Can I take the January 2010 MCAT and still be considered for acceptance to NYCOM for the 2009-2010 cycle?

I don't think that it will help you directly, but I do think it gives you the advantage of being familiar with the program. That equips you much better for filling out applications and for the interview. Take advantage of her knowledge, and ask her things about the school and what it is like to be there (y'know, if you can pry her away from residency).

Good luck!

yes, and then post what she tells you on here! :xf:

Can I take the January 2010 MCAT and still be considered for acceptance to NYCOM for the 2009-2010 cycle?

Yes. According to the CIB, they do accept January 2010 scores.

Does NYCOM send secondaries if there are no MCAT scores reported? I'm planning on taking the Jan 2010 exam for this cycle, but even though they accept it, I'm scared it's going to be too late.

Does NYCOM send secondaries if there are no MCAT scores reported? I'm planning on taking the Jan 2010 exam for this cycle, but even though they accept it, I'm scared it's going to be too late.

No, I don't think so. They only send secondaries to people they will interview, so I don't think they would do that since your app would still be incomplete.

My brother graduated from NYCOM in 2000, and I do think that it actually had some pull with admissions. Of course, there's no way to tell, but it's definitely a plus.

this school is taking forever to go over my application! I hope they got my update mcat score

:oops: Interview invite today!!! My first one! Haven't gotten the secondary yet...anyone else get one too???

Got an interview invite today as well (also my first interview)....secondary seems to come with the invite.

Congrats both of you!!!

Im still waiting on news from them, hope my stats are good enough. My Gpa is good enough I'm sure, but this dang 25Q MCAT bothers me :/

Got an interview invite today as well (also my first interview)....secondary seems to come with the invite.

Congrats Premedmind!!! :cool: I'm excited for both of us. Too bad the email came after the hours they're open, I'm jumping at the chance to schedule although I heard it is in November that they start!

MSUSpartan642- I have a 26, there is hope for you TRUST me! Keep us updated!

edit: secondary was in an attachment with the invite

Last edited:
Got an invite as well! Did anyone call and find out the available dates? I think its too late to call now its 6:40 on the east coast the office has gotta be closed.

Got an invite as well! Did anyone call and find out the available dates? I think its too late to call now its 6:40 on the east coast the office has gotta be closed.

Congrats! Yes they are closed, sadly. :( Monday we can flood their lines! Haha

An old thread mentioned that about 75% of all applicants that are interviewed get accepted. Is this true? What are the numbers for in state and out of staters or is the state of residency irrelevant?

An old thread mentioned that about 75% of all applicants that are interviewed get accepted. Is this true? What are the numbers for in state and out of staters or is the state of residency irrelevant?

Congrats to all who have been granted an interview!

State of residency is very important. NYCOM prefers NY state residents.

don't they only interview NY residents at first? aren't OOS interviews done later in the year or something?

I'm OOS but have a 28R and 3.7....I hope that's good enough for OOS!!!!!

don't they only interview NY residents at first? aren't OOS interviews done later in the year or something?

I'm OOS but have a 28R and 3.7....I hope that's good enough for OOS!!!!!

I'm oos. I applied early, like everyone, and was invited to interview in late Feb.

Also, this seems earlier than the past few years for interview invites. Maybe NYCOM is speeding things up!

was that the early interviews feb ?!

no no i meant that people getting interview invites now is earlier than the past few years. february is late compared to most schools but since i'm out of state that's how it worked out.

no no i meant that people getting interview invites now is earlier than the past few years. february is late compared to most schools but since i'm out of state that's how it worked out.

May I ask you what your stats were since Im interested at how we have to stack up as OOS students to have a shot here?