i goit caught stealing is there sill hope?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reese07

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, im a premed student and I got caught stealing hair products in walmart today and was said to be theft under 50 dollars. Will med schools see this in my background record? How badly will it affect my chances of getting into med school? Will theft under 50 dollars be seen as a felony or misdemeanor? sorry im not familiar with these terms. Also, this is the only bad thing ive done, except a few speeding tickets...im so mad at myself..

Members don't see this ad.

not only will this keep you out of medical school, you will never be allowed membership in the Hair Club for Men

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, im a premed student and I got caught stealing hair products in walmart today and was said to be theft under 50 dollars. Will med schools see this in my background record? How badly will it affect my chances of getting into med school? Will theft under 50 dollars be seen as a felony or misdemeanor? sorry im not familiar with these terms. Also, this is the only bad thing ive done, except a few speeding tickets...im so mad at myself..

I'd be pissed if I got caught stealing stuff from Wal-Mart too. Not because stealing hair products is stupid, but because... well, it's Wal-Mart. People just walk out with stuff in the wide open without paying for it. What did you do, stick it down your pants in front of a cashier?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

1. why does your status say pre-pharm?
2. were the cops involved? it's hard to know exactly what this means if all you can tell us is "was said to be theft under 50 dollars."
3. this obviously not a good thing to have on your app, but if it's not a recurring problem i guess you could explain it away.

Were you arrested?

[Borat] In my country, we could cut off your hands. [/Borat]

start thinking of how you can positively spin this situation...here's some ideas:

1) you wanted to take the products so you could properly dispose of them in a manner that did not pollute the local ground water.
2) there's a poor little girl down the street with nappy hair who can't afford hair products and you got sooo excited about helping her out that you forgot to pay.
3) you wanted to take the products without paying in an attempt to perpetuate the company's negative cash flow because the company tests them on little baby seals. the baby seals always die. :(

just make sure you start your statement with "See, what had happened was..."

Reactions: 1 users
I hope it was at least expensive hair products like pantene pro-v and not some cheap stuff like .99 bottles of suave and vo5. :laugh:

i did not get arrest they just gave me a ticket and banned me from their stores. I called the court and they said it is a class c misdemeanor. They said it wont be in my criminal background and will just stay in file in my city's court. Does that mean i dont have to put it in my application since its not in my criminal background or does the med school applications ask if you had any misdemeanors?

Why'd you want to steal hair products anyway?

I bet the med schools would ask you about that.... Anyways, you should find a reasonable explanation for why you ended up getting caught (ex: someone put it in your cart and you were...).

PS. Why don't you change your status to pre-med since that is what you are (not pre-pharm). And, you should try to spell correctly since it tends to fend off people from giving you advice.

Members don't see this ad :)

Wow, thats about as low as you can get lol.

i did not get arrest they just gave me a ticket and banned me from their stores. I called the court and they said it is a class c misdemeanor. They said it wont be in my criminal background and will just stay in file in my city's court. Does that mean i dont have to put it in my application since its not in my criminal background or does the med school applications ask if you had any misdemeanors?

If the city's court has it in their records, it will probably appear on a background check.

Why did you shoplift?

the court said the only way for med schools to know about it is to actually call the court located in my area. Anyone care to reply with actual helpful information please?

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

comedy

I mean if you are going to steal hair products...why go big and get the good stuff from salons...You went to WALMART!!! Clearly you are a novice at the theft game!

Walmart?...really?...Walmart?...I mean...you could have at least tried Tarje or something! :smuggrin::laugh:

Dude its wal-mart, you seriously had to steal hair care products, from a wal-mart, well your s.o.l. because now you can't go to wal-mart, and well your not 15, so it goes on your permanent record, and when medical schools or anyone for that matter gets a background check its usually county, state, and federal records the company pulls, chances are they will see it, since courts are run by county, the only thing I can think of is going to court, and seeing if the judge will expunge it or seal it, in exchange for community service, or a fine or something.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPokHbHYC5M[/youtube]

Dude its wal-mart, you seriously had to steal hair care products, from a wal-mart, well your s.o.l. because now you can't go to wal-mart, and well your not 15, so it goes on your permanent record, and when medical schools or anyone for that matter gets a background check its usually county, state, and federal records the company pulls, chances are they will see it, since courts are run by county, the only thing I can think of is going to court, and seeing if the judge will expunge it or seal it, in exchange for community service, or a fine or something.

This is your best bet.

Dude, WTF were you thinking?

That you stole and are mad at yourself for it. Stealing is a conscious effort, so I'd imagine that people who steal (a) just don't care, or (b) are doing it because they feel they have to. But, I guess you're class (c) couldn't help it???? That's a bit baffling.

If you weren't a troll, I'd ask you what you were doing stealing hair products from wall mart.

[YOUTUBE_linkdisabled]jPokHbHYC5M[/YOUTUBE]
OMFG. That was so funny. If there is proof of justice in the world, this is it. Having that video of you on the internet. OMFG!!!!!! Ha!

AMCAS has a link where you can pay $150 or so to get your own copy of your criminal background check. But that's a lot more expensive that hair products, at least the ones I use...

I hope it was at least expensive hair products like pantene pro-v and not some cheap stuff like .99 bottles of suave and vo5. :laugh:

HAHA, good one! :laugh:

Seriously OP, if you're gonna be a thief at least be a good one. Not only did you get caught, you were caught stealing some cheap crap from Walmart. Damn.

You're pre-pharmacy, you should still get in.

AMCAS has a link where you can pay $150 or so to get your own copy of your criminal background check. But that's a lot more expensive that hair products, at least the ones I use...

I believe AMCAS runs their background checks via Certiphi and they state on their website a part of their standard background check is a county criminal records check

County Criminal Records Search (Instant to 72-hour turnaround)
A search of county felony and misdemeanor records, directly through the courthouse. Records are verified using key identifiers (name, date of birth, Social Security Number, address) before reporting. Results include accurate and complete, easy-to-read descriptions of all cases located, as well as their final disposition.

http://www.certiphi.com/SubPage_RelatedBox.aspx?ChannelID=72

What if its the only bad thing in my record? I mean everyone does stupid mistakes at least once in their life..

What if its the only bad thing in my record? I mean everyone does stupid mistakes at least once in their life..

Are you a freshman?

I could see them maybe overlooking it if you're a freshman...

no im a junior...will expunging it fix my problem? or will it still show up when med schools do a background check?

Did you steal rogaine to deal with a baldness problem? If you are going bald, the Ad Com will probably understand why you were compelled to steal a product to try to prevent baldness. Just explain that you knew that you would feel selfconscious at your med school interviews if you were bald.

you could always broach the topic with adcoms by saying "wow, you know, i'm really surprised you haven't gotten a class c misdemeanor for stealing my heart with that compelling research you wrote on xyz..."

You gotta report that, kid. Just be honest with them. And the truth is hilarious so they should really crack up.

Seriously...WHY...WHY did you feel the need to steal hair products from Wal-Mart? Please tell us

2 things.

1. Great signature, I have that shirt.

2. He is insane-er than me.

Ha ha. Thanks. Yeah, I used to have it in an avatar, but I preferred the spastic guy... Now I can have both! :)

The T-shirt would be a worthwhile investment though.

no im a junior...will expunging it fix my problem? or will it still show up when med schools do a background check?

Yes. If it is expunged you don't have to report it. I'm still blown away that as a Junior you decided to steal hair products. If this doesn't get expunged I don't see how you can talk this down if you plan to apply for the fall of 2011. You are probably looking at the fall of 2013 before you could even realistically say that you've matured since then... I'm thinking you should get a good lawyer. It's worth it so that you don't have to explain it, but that's like a $2,000 hair product...

I'm still blown away by this... Are you an 18 year old Junior?

Since you feel so bad about it, I'm guessing there was a pretty good explanation to it, otherwise you wouldn't have contemplated to do something that could potentially threaten your application. If the reason has escaped you, I would suggest trying to REMEMBER IT *wink wink*.

On a plus note, stealing is not as bad as some other stuff some other people have pulled. It is something that is generally forgivable if the motif is understandable. Just be honest about it and hopefully that honesty will outweigh the incident.

Good luck!

Mel:luck:

On a plus note, stealing is not as bad as some other stuff some other people have pulled. It is something that is generally forgivable if the motif is understandable. Just be honest about it and hopefully that honesty will outweigh the incident.

But how on earth can someone realistically talk this one down? They have really bad dandruff but couldn't afford Head & Shoulders, so they took matters into their own hands? I personally see no excuse for this unless it's kleptomania or something. I would think that this would befuddle anyone considerably more than say, underage drinking or smoking pot.

But how on earth can someone realistically talk this one down? They have really bad dandruff but couldn't afford Head & Shoulders, so they took matters into their own hands? I personally see no excuse for this unless it's kleptomania or something. I would think that this would befuddle anyone considerably more than say, underage drinking or smoking pot.

I agree. Unless it was for lice or something like that.

Short of having it expunged or sealed there really is nothing you can do, unless your willing to talk to whoever is pressing the charges and request if they can drop the charges.

not only will this keep you out of medical school, you will never be allowed membership in the Hair Club for Men

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: South Park ftw.

I hope this was hair product for the african orphans you save on the weekends

great troll thread or greatest troll thread

You could always break into the county courthouse, find your file, and steal the associated record. Of course, the fact that you can't steal from Walmart seriously hinders your chance of pulling off something like that.

I completely agree with you as well. Let me point out that I am strongly against stealing, as I'm sure is the case with most people. So, let me reword what I meant: Ultimately, I do not know this person and he or she may have other problems/motifs/peculiar situations that has lead him or her to do this. At least, I would like to think so and that he or she didn't just steal for the heck of it; cause then, you get into a whole other issue. It strikes me that this person has a conscience and regrets what he or she did, and therefore, it got me thinking if there was a legitimate reason involved. What I meant to say as well was that stealing does not necessarily condemn you as a bad person; doing something to purposely harm others, on the other hand, does. I'm just trying to understand this person and where they're coming from instead of just dismissing them as dumb.

This person posted on the PA forum too. Either they really are a troll or are using PA school as a backup to med school, in which case, don't even apply, please. We don't want you.