-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I think the best way to use the NBME test is this:
Average = 500
Standard deviation = 100
(Your score - 500)/100 = x (this is a z score)
In this formula, your score cannot equal 500 (which would be the average on the current exam, obviously).
Example:
NBME score is 690
(690 - 500)/100 = 1.9
The current Step 2CK exam has the follow stats (I think):
Average = 226 (?)
SD = 23
226 + (x)23 = predicted score on USMLE from NBME test
You can then determine what percentile you are in from your z score:
http://www.epatric.com/documentation/statistics/z-score_table.html
Like if x = 1.9,
Your predicted score would be 226 + (1.9)(23) = ~ 269
You would be in about the 97th percentile.
At least for the Step 1 score report, the SEM was +/- 6.
Therefore, the projected score could be assumed to be 269 (263 - 275) given the SEM. This latter range could be thought of as a confidence interval.
Some people claim their Step scores went up, but note that both the mean and standard deviation are different for Step 2CK. So calculation of a z score and usage of the following table will help you know what percentile you achieved!
Average = 500
Standard deviation = 100
(Your score - 500)/100 = x (this is a z score)
In this formula, your score cannot equal 500 (which would be the average on the current exam, obviously).
Example:
NBME score is 690
(690 - 500)/100 = 1.9
The current Step 2CK exam has the follow stats (I think):
Average = 226 (?)
SD = 23
226 + (x)23 = predicted score on USMLE from NBME test
You can then determine what percentile you are in from your z score:
http://www.epatric.com/documentation/statistics/z-score_table.html
Like if x = 1.9,
Your predicted score would be 226 + (1.9)(23) = ~ 269
You would be in about the 97th percentile.
At least for the Step 1 score report, the SEM was +/- 6.
Therefore, the projected score could be assumed to be 269 (263 - 275) given the SEM. This latter range could be thought of as a confidence interval.
Some people claim their Step scores went up, but note that both the mean and standard deviation are different for Step 2CK. So calculation of a z score and usage of the following table will help you know what percentile you achieved!
Last edited:
Just got my score back. For context, I felt horrible while taking the exam, both because I was really tired and because it seemed like the questions were completely coming out of left field. I felt good when I took the NBME practice test about 5 days pre-test day.
NBME form 4: 640 --> 247
Step 2 CK: 247
So, yeah, still accurate for this n=1. 🙄
NBME form 4: 640 --> 247
Step 2 CK: 247
So, yeah, still accurate for this n=1. 🙄
Horribly inaccurate for me, but maybe I didn't take the NBME as serious when I took it (as compared to the real deal). Who knows.
NBME 3: 204 (8 days out)
Step II: 242
NBME 3: 204 (8 days out)
Step II: 242
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Horribly inaccurate for me, but maybe I didn't take the NBME as serious when I took (as compared to the real deal). Who knows.
NBME 3: 204 (8 days out)
Step II: 242
Haha, I'd love to have your problem with the NBMEs. But from what I read around, it seems NBME 3 underestimates in general.
Took NBME form 2 about 1.5 weeks beforehand.
NBME 2= 252
Real= 261
Since I only studied for a little less than 3 weeks I think it did a pretty good job estimating
NBME 2= 252
Real= 261
Since I only studied for a little less than 3 weeks I think it did a pretty good job estimating
clearly you knew ur stuff 😛 congrats!i took nbme #2 2 weeks before my test after about 3 days of studying - 256
real - 277
hey thanks! i am not the type to score like that so was pretty psyched - - that said, on step 1 i remember i did an nbme a week in and got 245 then on the real thing got 246 so really figured the same would happen for step 2 - - i do wonder if anything the nbmes UNDERpredict your real score b/c no way did i improve that much. for what it is worth! i thought step 2 secrets+UW is all you need though i did do UW x2 once during the year - - and i also read step up to medicine and those old pestana vignettes one time - both of which i found super helpful
2: 530 (224) - taken about 4 weeks out (I think the 2nd or 3rd day of studying)
3: 630 (245) - taken 2 weeks out
4: 800 (>268) - taken 1 week out
Step 2 CK - 264 - for the record I am typically a horrible standardized test taker, so I think the fact that my predicted was higher than my actual is accounted by this fact. I didn't do any for Step 1 (and I suppose it came back to bite me with a score of 215).
Best of luck!
3: 630 (245) - taken 2 weeks out
4: 800 (>268) - taken 1 week out
Step 2 CK - 264 - for the record I am typically a horrible standardized test taker, so I think the fact that my predicted was higher than my actual is accounted by this fact. I didn't do any for Step 1 (and I suppose it came back to bite me with a score of 215).
Best of luck!

Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 3K