You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
MD/PhD Residency Interview Thread
Started by gstrub
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Pathology residency interview offers (in alphabetical order):
Baylor Health Care System
Brigham & Women's Hospital
Scott & White Hospital
University of Oklahoma
UT Southwestern
Baylor Health Care System
Brigham & Women's Hospital
Scott & White Hospital
University of Oklahoma
UT Southwestern
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In no particular order:
Wash U
Pittsburgh
Maryland
Wisconsin
Med Col Wisconsin
Michigan
Vanderbilt
Emory
Beth Israel/Harvard
Georgetown
Virginia
U Illinois-Chicago
OHSU
Still waiting on 10 programs. Will only interview at 15 (impossible to schedule more than that).
Treg
Wash U
Pittsburgh
Maryland
Wisconsin
Med Col Wisconsin
Michigan
Vanderbilt
Emory
Beth Israel/Harvard
Georgetown
Virginia
U Illinois-Chicago
OHSU
Still waiting on 10 programs. Will only interview at 15 (impossible to schedule more than that).
Treg
Pathology residency interview offers (in alphabetical order):
Baylor Health Care System
Brigham & Women's Hospital
Scott & White Hospital
University of Oklahoma (interview complete)
UT Southwestern
Baylor Health Care System
Brigham & Women's Hospital
Scott & White Hospital
University of Oklahoma (interview complete)
UT Southwestern
Neurology:
BIDMC, MGH, Jefferson, Yale, Hopkins, Cornell, UCSF, Wash U, UCSD, Northwestern, U of C, Utah
with 4 others playing hard to get.
BIDMC, MGH, Jefferson, Yale, Hopkins, Cornell, UCSF, Wash U, UCSD, Northwestern, U of C, Utah
with 4 others playing hard to get.
In no particular order:
Wash U
Pittsburgh
Maryland
Wisconsin
Med Col Wisconsin
Michigan
Vanderbilt
Emory
Beth Israel/Harvard
Georgetown
Virginia
U Illinois-Chicago
OHSU
Still waiting on 10 programs. Will only interview at 15 (impossible to schedule more than that).
Treg
I thought I would bump our thread for luck. I have also received invites from Brigham, U of Chicago, and Hopkins. I got rejected from Loyola (IL). Waiting on 6 now, only one left in my top 10 🙂
I feel very lucky thus far. I also can't believe that I will be finished as a student in 7 months! I applied for graduation in the spring, my last time! Woohoo!
Hi all, not sure if anyone else is going to update, but I have finalized my list.
Wash U
Pittsburgh
Maryland
Michigan
Vanderbilt
Hopkins
MGH
Brigham
BIDMC
Emory
Columbia-NYP
Georgetown
Virginia
U Illinois-Chicago
OHSU
Declined: Wisconsin, Med Col Wisconsin, and U Chicago
Reject: Loyola-Stritch
No response (probable reject): Penn, Yale, Northwestern, Brown
Good luck everyone! I am just starting interviews, one down, another this weekend, and then continuously through early Jan.
Treg
Wash U
Pittsburgh
Maryland
Michigan
Vanderbilt
Hopkins
MGH
Brigham
BIDMC
Emory
Columbia-NYP
Georgetown
Virginia
U Illinois-Chicago
OHSU
Declined: Wisconsin, Med Col Wisconsin, and U Chicago
Reject: Loyola-Stritch
No response (probable reject): Penn, Yale, Northwestern, Brown
Good luck everyone! I am just starting interviews, one down, another this weekend, and then continuously through early Jan.
Treg
Hi all, not sure if anyone else is going to update, but I have finalized my list.
Wash U
Pittsburgh
Maryland
Michigan
Vanderbilt
Hopkins
MGH
Brigham
BIDMC
Emory
Columbia-NYP
Georgetown
Virginia
U Illinois-Chicago
OHSU
Treg
Strong work. Is that in the order you will rank them?
QofQuimica
Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Don't you think Treg should go on all those interviews first before making up a rank list?Strong work. Is that in the order you will rank them?

But I agree, strong work with all those invites, Treg. It will be fun to see where you end up in March.

Don't you think Treg should go on all those interviews first before making up a rank list?
But I agree, strong work with all those invites, Treg. It will be fun to see where you end up in March.![]()
duh...I am a *****.
Good luck.
Pathology residency interview offers (in alphabetical order):
Baylor Health Care System
Brigham & Women's Hospital
Scott & White Hospital (interview complete)
University of Oklahoma (interview complete)
UT Southwestern
Baylor Health Care System
Brigham & Women's Hospital
Scott & White Hospital (interview complete)
University of Oklahoma (interview complete)
UT Southwestern
Pathology residency interview offers (in alphabetical order):
Baylor Health Care System (interview complete)
Brigham & Women's Hospital
Scott & White Hospital (interview complete)
University of Oklahoma (interview complete)
UT Southwestern (interview complete)
Baylor Health Care System (interview complete)
Brigham & Women's Hospital
Scott & White Hospital (interview complete)
University of Oklahoma (interview complete)
UT Southwestern (interview complete)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,
I have finished 14 interviews in general surgery. I heard on the interview trail that there were around 11-15 MD/PhDs applying this year (via a research contact I met with at one program).
Now I am starting to get the emails/letters/phone calls (and one all expense paid revisit so far), which is a strange experience.
Is anyone else out there in my boat?
Treg
I have finished 14 interviews in general surgery. I heard on the interview trail that there were around 11-15 MD/PhDs applying this year (via a research contact I met with at one program).
Now I am starting to get the emails/letters/phone calls (and one all expense paid revisit so far), which is a strange experience.
Is anyone else out there in my boat?
Treg
After not matching last year, I'm back with a vengeance!
42 interview offers and will attend 17 of them.
Crossing fingers that things work out this time!
42 interview offers and will attend 17 of them.
Crossing fingers that things work out this time!
After not matching last year, I'm back with a vengeance!
42 interview offers and will attend 17 of them.
Crossing fingers that things work out this time!
Wow! Congrats! What did you do during your year out to improve so much?
Wow! Congrats! What did you do during your year out to improve so much?
Lots and lots of networking. ERAS application is practically identical from last year.
For those of you wanting to do competitive specialties, do NOT disappear during your PhD years. Go to grand rounds, conferences, clinic, do call, whatever, because you will not have time to do it when you go back as a third year. You need every advantage possible.
Lots and lots of networking. ERAS application is practically identical from last year.
For those of you wanting to do competitive specialties, do NOT disappear during your PhD years. Go to grand rounds, conferences, clinic, do call, whatever, because you will not have time to do it when you go back as a third year. You need every advantage possible.
Could you provide some specific examples of networking that you did? What are some things you found to be particularly useful? Thanks a lot!
Could you provide some specific examples of networking that you did? What are some things you found to be particularly useful? Thanks a lot!
Between my home program as well as the other ortho program in my area, I attended 20+ hours of morning trauma/x-ray rounds, grand rounds, M&M, didactics, indication conferences, dissection labs, bioskills labs, journal clubs, and in-training review each and every week for 6+ months.
This was on top of a full time research position. You show you are that dedicated to a specialty and you'll get faculty that will write great LORs and go to bat for you.
Between my home program as well as the other ortho program in my area, I attended 20+ hours of morning trauma/x-ray rounds, grand rounds, M&M, didactics, indication conferences, dissection labs, bioskills labs, journal clubs, and in-training review each and every week for 6+ months.
This was on top of a full time research position. You show you are that dedicated to a specialty and you'll get faculty that will write great LORs and go to bat for you.
Great info! Thanks a lot.
Between my home program as well as the other ortho program in my area, I attended 20+ hours of morning trauma/x-ray rounds, grand rounds, M&M, didactics, indication conferences, dissection labs, bioskills labs, journal clubs, and in-training review each and every week for 6+ months.
This was on top of a full time research position. You show you are that dedicated to a specialty and you'll get faculty that will write great LORs and go to bat for you.
Strong work! As you said, networking. People with only 1 interview have matched. And I gather that networking had something to do with it. 🙂
QofQuimica
Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Best of luck to all of you. 
