Medical schools that DON'T take CC BCPM reqs?

CaliGirl14

No worries.
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I'm an EnviroSci major at my local CC, I have to take most of the BCPM classes at my community college in order to transfer to my state school (UCLA).

I was just wondering, which medical schools don't take my BCPM CC reqs?
They don't look too down upon us for taking our BCPM at our CC right? Oh and, since they want us to do well once we're in our college, do enviro classes seem to easy?

What do you think about environmental science majors going the pre-med route?
Is it too 'weak'? 'sciency'?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I only know of Stanford med school not accepting these credits. I was told by a UCSF med student they explicitly state they do not want any BCPM credits taken at a CC, however you may need to confirm this.

Med schools shouldn't look down on you for taking your courses at a CC (however a few SDNers will tell you otherwise), after you transfer to the 4year take a few upper division science courses.

Major in something you're academically curious or interested in.

Everyone who is not an envio science major will tell you it is weak, or not a good "pre med major"

Last edited:
What are some reasons that 'everyone' would claim that it's a weak, or not a good 'pre-med major'?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, it's biology but in a different field. In other words, you get all the rote memorization (read: no terribly useful learning skills) but none of the relevant material. Environmental science is typically known as one of the easier majors you can pursue, especially where sciences are concerned. I don't suggest using relevance to med school as a way to choose your major, however. Major in whatever subject interests you, like our weathery friend said.

Ha ha, I can't find any good quotes on SDN, but everyone (well, on SDN at least) wants to feel like their major is harder and/or better. A pre-med majoring in chem might feel a student majoring in biology has a easier major because he's taking "easier" courses and has a higher gpa as a result of it.

That's one benefit of double majoring in bio and something else. I know my physics major was a lot harder. I don't have to speculate. :p

Well honestly I'll be in love doing EnviroScience :)The prereqs for this major are the BCPM classes. I thought this was great because then I can prepare for my MCAT as well as complete my prereqs..

Anyway, I don't care what others think about my major compared to theirs. At the end of the day, I love what I do, be prepared for the MCAT, and have a great GPA :)

In reality, I'm more concerned about what med schools would think. I just don't want them to think that "oh this person is just taking an easy major to get a high gpa..." I don't want them to think that I'm taking the easy route or something....I hope you get what I'm trying to say?

Oh, and the college I'll be transferring to from my CC, (UCLA), requires you to major in Enviro and minor in something else...(Like bio, engineering, e.t.c) So I don't think I should be concerned about having 'harder' science upper divisions.

I'm more concerned about what med schools would think. I just don't want them to think that "oh this person is just taking an easy major to get a high gpa..."
Unfortunately, major difficulty is not something med schools take into account, for the most part. Engineering and physics can get you some minor bonus points, but that's about it. Everything else is pretty much the same, in their eyes. That is, a 3.9 in what we all know to be a seriously easy major trumps a 3.7 in a significantly harder major most of the time.

Keeping with the theme of how med schools perceive your major, you'd do well to get out of CC as soon as possible. For the most part, med schools see CC's, a few select schools (UCLA would be one of these schools, probably), and everything else. CC's are a distinct step below, according to most schools, whether that's fair or not.

Well, to be honest with you, when life is in the way, life is in the way. Going to a CC wouldn't have been my first choice, but when life decides to hand you a chronic disease in the beginning of your junior year, your 4.67 drops to a 3.6. Even after a year of treatment, I have yet to recover. I don't think there's much I can do about going to a CC, even when medical schools don't favor this. I can't help that many of prereqs are going to be the BCPM courses..and even if I majored in Classic Civilization (my second interest), breadth requirements would force me to take a full year of english, math, and some chem and biology.
All I can hope is that med schools accept the fact that I went to a CC, and don't punish me too harshly for it..

Well, to be honest with you, when life is in the way, life is in the way. Going to a CC wouldn't have been my first choice, but when life decides to hand you a chronic disease in the beginning of your junior year, your 4.67 drops to a 3.6. Even after a year of treatment, I have yet to recover. I don't think there's much I can do about going to a CC, even when medical schools don't favor this. I can't help that many of prereqs are going to be the BCPM courses..and even if I majored in Classic Civilization (my second interest), breadth requirements would force me to take a full year of english, math, and some chem and biology.
All I can hope is that med schools accept the fact that I went to a CC, and don't punish me too harshly for it..

Ahh, sorry for the double post...*looks for delete button*

Do well at your CC. Do well at the school you transfer to. Do well on your MCAT. There will be no questioning your academic readiness for med school. Its that simple. Don't worry about your school or your major. It is what it is. In my opinion you are doing everything right. Major in whatever it is you are passionate about, which you seem to have figured out. This can only benefit you (looking in and outside the scope of trying to go to med school). Sure some schools might b*tch about your CC classes, but whatever, a majority won't care. Especially if you the rest of your app is solid. If you feel the need, you can always explain in your application why you went to a CC for two years, but honestly I dont think its necessary. If you do things the right away, schools will notice you. Doesn't matter if you started off at X community college or Harvard. Keep it up, you'll make it eventually :thumbup:

RySerr21: Thank you for your response :) I really appreciate your comment about doing well wherever you come from. I know I have a long future ahead of me, but if I do well, anything can happen!

Members don't see this ad :)
I only know of Stanford med school not accepting these credits. I was told by a UCSF med student they explicitly state they do not want any BCPM credits taken at a CC, however you may need to confirm this.

Med schools shouldn't look down on you for taking your courses at a CC (however a few SDNers will tell you otherwise), after you transfer to the 4year take a few upper division science courses.

Everyone who is not an envio science major will tell you it is weak, or not a good "pre med major"

I'm not interested in Stanford. However, I know someone who took ALL BCPM courses at a CC and is a third-year now. From their website:

The California community college system has the most diverse student enrollment in higher education in the entire state. Students who attend community colleges do so for multiple reasons, some economic, some academic, and some cultural. Many excellent allied health programs are housed in community colleges. However, the guidance and resources available to students regarding a premedical path at most community colleges typically lag behind those found at four-year colleges.
The Center of Excellence actively encourages partnerships with community colleges in the San Francisco Bay Area to support students preparing for a career in medicine. Some of the benefits of this partnership include mentor opportunities, guest speaker presentations, conference information, medical admission resources, medical school visits, and leadership training. Please contact us for information regarding these programs and resources.

I'm not interested in Stanford. However, I know someone who took ALL BCPM courses at a CC and is a third-year now. From their website:

The California community college system has the most diverse student enrollment in higher education in the entire state. Students who attend community colleges do so for multiple reasons, some economic, some academic, and some cultural. Many excellent allied health programs are housed in community colleges. However, the guidance and resources available to students regarding a premedical path at most community colleges typically lag behind those found at four-year colleges.
The Center of Excellence actively encourages partnerships with community colleges in the San Francisco Bay Area to support students preparing for a career in medicine. Some of the benefits of this partnership include mentor opportunities, guest speaker presentations, conference information, medical admission resources, medical school visits, and leadership training. Please contact us for information regarding these programs and resources.

Haha, well, Stanford, is well, Stanford. I don't think I'll have any problems with the UC Med Schools because starting out at a CC is part of California's ' Big School Plan'

Question: What if your plan is to attend a community college and transfer to your state university as a non-science major pre-med? I know it's not preferred to take your BCPM classes at your community college, but how on earth would you have time to take your BCPM classes at your four year university in time to take the MCAT during your Junior year?

That also goes with science majors at community college. If they don't want you to take your BCPM classes at your community college, how are you suppose to fit all those classes during your junior year to prepare you for the MCAT?

Also, if you major in science during your community college, some of your required classes to transfer to your state university tends to overlap with the BCPM courses...so isn't it inevitable NOT to take your BCPM classes at your community college?

From my understanding, most people attending a four year university as whatever major, take their BCPM classes during their first two years. How can you expect a community college go-er not to during their first two years?

Sorry if this is a bit off topic.

Question: What if your plan is to attend a community college and transfer to your state university as a non-science major pre-med? I know it's not preferred to take your BCPM classes at your community college, but how on earth would you have time to take your BCPM classes at your four year university in time to take the MCAT during your Junior year?

That also goes with science majors at community college. If they don't want you to take your BCPM classes at your community college, how are you suppose to fit all those classes during your junior year to prepare you for the MCAT?

Also, if you major in science during your community college, some of your required classes to transfer to your state university tends to overlap with the BCPM courses...so isn't it inevitable NOT to take your BCPM classes at your community college?

From my understanding, most people attending a four year university as whatever major, take their BCPM classes during their first two years. How can you expect a community college go-er not to during their first two years?

Sorry if this is a bit off topic.

Yeah, all four year public schools in California require you take general science courses, which coincidentally are the pre-reqs for med school. So yes it's inevitable, especially if you want to transfer to UCLA as a science major.

IMO, ignore the SDN's stigma of CCs.

You don't have to take the MCAT during your junior year. It's consider the "traditional" route but, it's suggested you take it when you complete or about to complete the pre-reqs.

I wouldn't ignore the stigma, but I certainly wouldn't take it as the death knell that some make it sound like, either. Taking many or most of your courses at a CC does handicap you a little but not terribly, as far as I can tell from anecdotal evidence.

Well, I can't really fight the inevitability of having to take science courses at my community college....

I have a STRONG memory of Boston U hating on CC and distance learning/online courses, especially for prereqs. I believe the secondary made you "explain" the classes? I filled it out wayyy back in July, though, so I could be wrong ;0)

Well, I can't really fight the inevitability of having to take science courses at my community college....
Yeah, that's cool. Gotta do what you've gotta do. It might necessitate some clever wordsmithing on your part, but you'll be fine as long as your grades are good.

I have a STRONG memory of Boston U hating on CC and distance learning/online courses, especially for prereqs. I believe the secondary made you "explain" the classes? I filled it out wayyy back in July, though, so I could be wrong ;0)

I've never heard of specific schools "hating on" CC's...in fact, I know plenty of successful applicants who either started at or returned to CC's for BCPM classes. I personally had incredible success at a CC that I never could have attained anywhere, not because I didn't get the same grades (actually better) elsewhere, but because I had spectacular research opportunities there. PM me if you want to know more.

I wouldn't change a thing. There's no way I'd be as competitive as I am now for medical school if I hadn't taken CC's seriously four years ago.

I emailed UCSF asking about pre-reqs, all I got was: "We accept coursework taken at any accredited institution (including community college)." If the school dislikes CC credit so much, I would think that the admissions officer would have told me so.

I emailed UCSF asking about pre-reqs, all I got was: "We accept coursework taken at any accredited institution (including community college)." If the school dislikes CC credit so much, I would think that the admissions officer would have told me so.

I think you read my post wrong.