ECU - Brody SOM Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brickandlace

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thread for all the future Pirate doctors... :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So you'll definitely be at Brody in the Fall? I'm so excited, but I'm trying to cherish my free time these days.

Pretty sure I will be here next year too.

Hello fellow future classmates!

I have a question... since it seems like ECU doesn't have a second look day, does anyone remember if they record the lectures (audio and/or video) so students can access them after class? I know UNC and almost all of the other med schools I have visited this year have this, but I couldn't remember whether or not ECU offered this.

So far I don't have any other school fighting for my affections, but if it came down to a choice, this would be soemthing I would really want to know.

Also, have any of you completed your vaccinations/medical history yet?

I heard from a current med. student they have audio recordings, but I can't remember for sure if that is complemented with video.

I started to work on my vac/med's, but I can't seem to find anything new that we didn't have to have for undergrad.

Yeah, all I need is the TB test I think (last one was like 9 months ago). After undergrad and going to Costa Rica/Panama for medical volunteer work, I've already gotten everything else.

I just keep having nightmares that I forgot to do this one little tiny thing in time and they took back my acceptance... I know I'm being crazy, but I can't help it~!!! How terrible would that be??? :eek:

You and me both, sista! :D

FAFSA and shots are the only thing I can think of that we have to do by May.

I've been accepted to Brody! I'm really excited but still have to decide if ECU is where I want to be. I have heard that ECU might be changing their curriculum to match UNC's. Does anyone know anything about this?

doubtful on changing the curriculum to be more like unc. we have a lower average mcat scores and the word on the street is we edged them out by a few pts on step 1's this year (that's just what i hear)

and yes they started video recording lectures and posting them on blackboard this year

enjoy your time off, see you in the fall

-current brody m1

doubtful on changing the curriculum to be more like unc. we have a lower average mcat scores and the word on the street is we edged them out by a few pts on step 1's this year (that's just what i hear)

and yes they started video recording lectures and posting them on blackboard this year

enjoy your time off, see you in the fall

-current brody m1

i wasnt aware of the video lectures on blackboard, if this would happen next year as well on a reliable basis - that would be pretty sweet.

I've been accepted to Brody! I'm really excited but still have to decide if ECU is where I want to be. I have heard that ECU might be changing their curriculum to match UNC's. Does anyone know anything about this?

Yea, I heard that there might be some changes in the curriculum. If I remember correctly they were considering shortening the time in class and combining the subject tests. Personally, I think that these are both great ideas.

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone heard anything abt the brody scholarship? have interview invites already been sent?

has anyone heard anything abt the brody scholarship? have interview invites already been sent?

Yes...the invites have already been sent. They were sent out about a week ago. That's not to say that all of the invites were sent out then but I know you have to let them know you'll attend by April 1st or 2nd.

Thanks, om. Those of you who got an invite or know of others with invites, would you mind posting stats.... and also if first time applicant or reapplicant?

Did anyon else receive the financial aid letter in the mail yesterday? I did not and just want to make sure they got my FAFSA and all that stuff

Did anyon else receive the financial aid letter in the mail yesterday? I did not and just want to make sure they got my FAFSA and all that stuff

No I haven't received a financial letter yet. I keep feeling like there's something I should be doing but I've submitted FAFSA and my medical records. Am I forgetting something?

No I haven't received a financial letter yet. I keep feeling like there's something I should be doing but I've submitted FAFSA and my medical records. Am I forgetting something?

lol.. as I've said... that's my biggest fear! I was worried because I heard about someone getting a financial aid packet and I had not received one. Plus I got another acceptance so I wanted to withdraw my app from that school but was too freaked out that I had forgotten something at ECU so I called the Financial Aid office and she said that, due to the new student loan legislation, the packets were about 1-2 weeks behind in going out this year. She explained what I would be getting, but said the packets aren't going out for another couple weeks.

I did get my BannerID, new email address and OneStop password in the mail the other day... it felt good to get SOMETHIGN from them after dead silence since early December!

lol.. as I've said... that's my biggest fear! I was worried because I heard about someone getting a financial aid packet and I had not received one. Plus I got another acceptance so I wanted to withdraw my app from that school but was too freaked out that I had forgotten something at ECU so I called the Financial Aid office and she said that, due to the new student loan legislation, the packets were about 1-2 weeks behind in going out this year. She explained what I would be getting, but said the packets aren't going out for another couple weeks.

I did get my BannerID, new email address and OneStop password in the mail the other day... it felt good to get SOMETHIGN from them after dead silence since early December!

I did get that information a week ago. I'll keep a look out for the Financial Aid packet. Thanks for the information!

Well that would be from my post... haha... sorry didn't mean to freak you out.

I didn't know this thread was out there, now I guess I have another place to post.

I do hope they update the curriculum to some extent, I have to admit schools with integrated curriculums so that you have only one test every few weeks is much preferable to hell weeks (with ~4 full subject tests every month + in just two days). That really would be the biggest negative I've found at Brody.

Plus, does anyone know if there is a gym on campus?

Well that would be from my post... haha... sorry didn't mean to freak you out.

I didn't know this thread was out there, now I guess I have another place to post.

I do hope they update the curriculum to some extent, I have to admit schools with integrated curriculums so that you have only one test every few weeks is much preferable to hell weeks (with ~4 full subject tests every month + in just two days). That really would be the biggest negative I've found at Brody.

Plus, does anyone know if there is a gym on campus?

yeah there's a really nice gym (not on the health sciences campus itself to my knowledge) but there's one 5 or so minutes away

So I've started to get my paperwork done for my immunizations, but I can't find my Hep B vaccination at moment, and I am not 100 percent if I got it or not...:scared:

Does anyone if that is general vaccine you get before the age of 18?

I am also kind of freaking out, because Brody said the vaccinations have to be done before May 15th, and the Hep B is a 6 month long process, does anyone know if they accept it if you are right in the middle of getting the 3 part shots?

Btw, I got my financial aid packet, and they said they only send it once you are complete and verified through FAFSA. So I would call financial aid and make sure you are complete.

So I've started to get my paperwork done for my immunizations, but I can't find my Hep B vaccination at moment, and I am not 100 percent if I got it or not...:scared:

Does anyone if that is general vaccine you get before the age of 18?

I am also kind of freaking out, because Brody said the vaccinations have to be done before May 15th, and the Hep B is a 6 month long process, does anyone know if they accept it if you are right in the middle of getting the 3 part shots?

Btw, I got my financial aid packet, and they said they only send it once you are complete and verified through FAFSA. So I would call financial aid and make sure you are complete.

Does anyone know if showing that you have titer for Hep B is sufficient?

It is not a general vaccine so you'll probably have to start the vaccination process if you dont have antibodies. Your best bet is probably to call the office and ask.

I'm sure there are people who get accepted late in the cycle - it's not like they reject them due to lacking vaccinations.

Sooooo...what is everyone doing for housing next year? Also, for those of you who have received your financial aid packets, how long did it take for you to get it after you submitted FAFSA?

Hey you guys!!

I just got my acceptance letter last week! Super excitedd to be a part of this class :)

I'm also trying to find a female roommate for next year to share a condo or apartment with. So if anyone's interested, let me know!

Anyone else get an email inviting them to fill out the application for this scholarship from the ECU admissions email address? Anyone know anything about it?

Anyone else get an email inviting them to fill out the application for this scholarship from the ECU admissions email address? Anyone know anything about it?

Yea. I got the email too. It's kind of like NC's version of National Health Service Corp...so I believe you have to go into primary care if I'm remembering correctly...but check to make sure.

Yea. I got the email too. It's kind of like NC's version of National Health Service Corp...so I believe you have to go into primary care if I'm remembering correctly...but check to make sure.

That is not my understanding. I thought that if you get the scholarship, you agree to work in NC for four years after completing your residency training (and you have up to 7 years to complete residency--anywhere in the U.S.). I was told that you could do whatever you wanted in terms of primary care vs specialization and it could be anywhere in the state.

That is not my understanding. I thought that if you get the scholarship, you agree to work in NC for four years after completing your residency training (and you have up to 7 years to complete residency--anywhere in the U.S.). I was told that you could do whatever you wanted in terms of primary care vs specialization and it could be anywhere in the state.

Ok. That was the part I was unsure about. I didn't know if you had to go into primary care or not but the rest is the same as the National Health Service Corps. Thanks for clarifying though!

Ok. That was the part I was unsure about. I didn't know if you had to go into primary care or not but the rest is the same as the National Health Service Corps. Thanks for clarifying though!

I am almost certain of what I said but I would recommend double checking with Ms. Coward and/or the Financial Aid people at Brody.

Another difference b/w Board of Governor's and NHSC is that with BofG, you have to decide before starting med school. I like that NHSC will let you decide to 'buy back' or payback years of school both before and after you have earned your M.D.

Either way (scholarship or no scholarship), Brody is an incredible value in my opinion. Congrats to everyone who has been accepted!

Howdy everyone!

So, what is the deal with housing? Ideally, I would like to live in house, with several other roommates (medical students?), as close as possible to the med school campus. Is that a particular area of Greenville? Is that close to the main downtown area?

I've only been to Greenville for interviews... so I don't know much.

Thanks!

Zach

I'm also trying to figure out housing. I'd like to live in a house with 3 or 4 people, preferably med students in our class. Does anyone know if admissions or student affairs sends out a list with contact info from our class so we can try to find roomies? I definitely don't want to live in apartments for undergrads with all the noise and partying. I'd be interested in living in with either 2 guys/2 gals or just a house with 3 or 4 girls. Anyone else interested or know where to get contact info? I couldn't find a facebook page for the class.

There is a facebook page titled something along the lines of "Brody SOM Class of 2014" and theres about 50 of the students already memebers. There is a housing thread on the discussion board and it seems like most students are living in one (and a few two) bedroom apartments which are very close to the Brody Building (I personally am living in Treybrooke).

PCMH and Brody are about 2 or 3 miles from downtown, which is where the undergrad classes are, so most apartment complexes near the hospital has only students from the health sciences.

When I went apartment shopping I stopped by the sudent life office and they said they don't really get involved in helping students with housing - so I wouldn't hold my breath for contact information useful in finding roommates.

Thats about all the info I got - I though about doing the house thing (or buying one) but I figured I'd live in a sweet single apartment for the first year to get the lay of the land and meet my classmates and then decide what I want to do for housing once I'm better informed.

Congrats on your acceptances!

Adam

PS - I'm moving in the end of July - those of us who are moving in early should hit up a baseball game or (even better) a few bars to get to know eachother outside of class.

Thanks! I found the facebook page and am going to go apartment hunting next weekend. We'll see if there are any places left. lol. I'd like to get to know people before school but i'll be out of town right up until the 9th.

Has anyone tried to sign up for the medical insurance yet? I tried and am having problems with it. Also... has anyone already signed up with One Stop and email and everything?

Has anyone tried to sign up for the medical insurance yet? I tried and am having problems with it. Also... has anyone already signed up with One Stop and email and everything?

One Stop and email should be set up for you. As long as you know your Pirate ID and password you can just sign in. If you cant find those, call the IT people and they should be able to help you out.

I haven't even looked at the medical insurance stuff yet.

just signed up for insurance today, it take no time at all and is pretty straight forward (not bad coverage for the price either)

just signed up for insurance today, it take no time at all and is pretty straight forward (not bad coverage for the price either)

Good to know! Do you know if there is an option to get started BEFORE August 1st? I'm leaving my current position (and my coverage is going with it) the last day of June. I really don't want to pay like $700 for COBRA coverage and with my luck, if I let my insurance lapse for that month I'll end up getting hit by a truck or coming down with some random crazy disease if I let it lapse! I'll try doing it later on today and see what I can find out but if anyone knows the answer, let me know!

PS... just put down a deposit on a house in Gville on Sunday! I'll be relocating during the month of July! It's really starting to feel real now and I'm super excited! can't wait to meet you all!

yes, I was wondering the exact same thing because I'm quitting work this month as well (insurance coverage expires 30 days later). If you're really concerned there's this option: http://www.assuranthealth.com/corp/ah/. They have short term health insurance for $67/month. But I'm not sure it'd be worth it for just two weeks.

So excited for orientation week!!

Hey everyone,

Okay I need your advice..

I was accepted into GW's med school and waitlisted at Brody as well as EVMS.. I really really want to go to Brody though. I know they have a somewhat higher acceptance rate of re-applicants than other med schools and so I'm thinking of denying my acceptance offer to George Washington and just reapplying to med schools again this summer/fall. I'm angry at myself because I turned in my secondary to Brody late this past winter due to getting bogged down with a research project and other unforseeable circumstances, so I'm wondering if maybe I would have gotten in had I not interviewed so late in the spring. I mean, they've already offered 113 spots so far this year so I doubt I'm getting in off the waitlist at this point, but I'm still hoping.
I've tried to talk to a lot of people about this, and I've had some people say that well if you want to be a doctor and you're given an opportunity to go to medical school, no matter what you take it! And I do DEFINITELY want to be a doctor, its just that my family has had a very difficult financial situation and I'm very disinclined to take on at least 300,000 in loans. Plus the more I look into Brody's program, the more I want to be a part of it..

So what should I do?! :(

Hey everyone,

Okay I need your advice..

I was accepted into GW's med school and waitlisted at Brody as well as EVMS.. I really really want to go to Brody though. I know they have a somewhat higher acceptance rate of re-applicants than other med schools and so I'm thinking of denying my acceptance offer to George Washington and just reapplying to med schools again this summer/fall. I'm angry at myself because I turned in my secondary to Brody late this past winter due to getting bogged down with a research project and other unforseeable circumstances, so I'm wondering if maybe I would have gotten in had I not interviewed so late in the spring. I mean, they've already offered 113 spots so far this year so I doubt I'm getting in off the waitlist at this point, but I'm still hoping.
I've tried to talk to a lot of people about this, and I've had some people say that well if you want to be a doctor and you're given an opportunity to go to medical school, no matter what you take it! And I do DEFINITELY want to be a doctor, its just that my family has had a very difficult financial situation and I'm very disinclined to take on at least 300,000 in loans. Plus the more I look into Brody's program, the more I want to be a part of it..

So what should I do?! :(

Well first of all congrats on the acceptance!

Secondly.... it's hard to justify turning down an offer at any school. There's absolutely no guarentee that you will get accepted to Brody next year if you re-apply and it would suck to be in the situation of getting 0 acceptances next year when you could have started this year.

If you're still waitlisted at Brody, write a detailed LOI explaining that you have been offered other acceptances but still REALLY want to go to Brody. Be specific about your reasons but don't make it seem like it's only about the money. Sure, Brody is a GREAT deal and the cheapest med school. period. but they want to hear different reasons as well. It certainly can't hurt and as long as your still waitlisted, you still have over a month to get in.

Good luck and hope to see you next year!

thanks for the advice :)

I have sent them a few emails (as per the advice of a mentor of mine) updating them on various recent accomplishments and awards and letting them know that im still very very interested in attending Brody.. hopefully it will make a difference!