ranking smp's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laddr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i know that there are pro's and con's to each of the SMP's, and that ranking them is highly variable based on your personal preferences/needs. but, in general, if you HAD to rank them, how would yall rank the following programs?

loyola
georgetown
bu
tufts
rfu

thanks for the insight!

Members don't see this ad.

I'll bite.

Programs I applied to and was willing to move cross country to go to:

EVMS pros: fairly inexpensive, small class size, most students get into EVMS, good for same-year app to med school, 7 med school classes
Cons: EV what?

Georgetown pros: best known / best reputation, 6 med school classes, pretty good for same-year app to med school, sexy location
Cons: expensive, huge class size, poor odds of getting into Gtown

Cincinnati pros: inexpensive, small class size, pretty good for same-year app to med school, lots get into UCinn, enrollment gives you OH residency
Cons: only 3 med school classes, Ohioooooh no.

Tulane ACP pros: small class, 94% acceptance into Tulane, very inexpensive, med school anatomy & neuro, NOLA!
Cons: no federal financial aid, only eligible via a med school waitlist

Tufts pros: 7 med school classes (sort of), median tuition, Boston!
Cons: very new, includes MCAT prep (assumes no same-year app, no?), no idea about results, program is growing to Gtown size

Programs I didn't apply to and probably wouldn't move cross country to go to:

Boston pros: 2/3 of curriculum is med school classes, well known program, Boston!
Cons: expensive, disorganized, usually takes more than one year, very mysterious about how many grads get into med school when

Temple pros: guarantees Temple acceptance, fairly inexpensive
Cons: 3.3 min GPA, no med school integration

USF pros: fairly inexpensive, small class, full non-clinical med school curriculum
Cons: US what?

Drexel pros: 4-6 med school classes, fairly inexpensive, tons of programs to choose from, easy admissions
Cons: it's Drexel

VCU pros: very inexpensive, easy admissions, choice of concentrations
Cons: no masters degree, no med school classes

RFU pros: rumor has it you can get right on into RFU
Cons: program gets reorganized every couple years, no med school classes, expensive, huge class size, it's RFU

NYMC pros: 4 med school classes, fairly inexpensive, stable program
Cons: Val what?

Toledo pros: 4 med school classes, guaranteed interview, pretty good results, inexpensive for instate
Cons: Toledo.

UMDNJ pros: option to take med school classes, inexpensive
Cons: huge class size

Loyola pros: solid reputation
Cons: no med school classes

Last edited:
Cincinnati pros: inexpensive, small class size, pretty good for same-year app to med school, lots get into UCinn, enrollment gives you OH residency
Cons: only 3 med school classes, Ohioooooh no.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you on this matter DrMidlife. It's the quality, not quantity of the medical school classes that matter. At Cincinnati, we take Biochemistry, Physiology, and Histology year round (summer fall, and spring) with the med students. They could have split those three classes into quarters and then claimed that we are taking 9 medical school classes, instead, they grouped it all into one year-long class with a single letter grade at the end.

Also, being an Ohio school is a huge plus. There are 7 medical schools in OH. Five of them are state schools that accept more than 50% of their class from the state . Ohio is probably the 2nd best state to be in for the purpose of adminissions behind Texas.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure drmidlife was commenting on the number of medical schools in Ohio, Looking Glass.....

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you on this matter DrMidlife.
Good, exactly what I was hoping would happen. My ranking is my ranking.
It's the quality, not quantity of the medical school classes that matter.
Right, point conceded. I gave Tulane high billing for only having 2, knowing those are a big fat 2. I was having a hard time coming up with anything negative about the UCinn program, really.
Also, being an Ohio school is a huge plus.
Sure, if you can stand being in OH for more than 20 minutes.:laugh: If I can't smell the ocean I'm not a very happy old girl. But I would have gone to UCinn if they'd accepted me (I got waitlisted).

What, nobody else is irritated by me harshing on your state or school?

Good, exactly what I was hoping would happen. My ranking is my ranking.

Right, point conceded. I gave Tulane high billing for only having 2, knowing those are a big fat 2. I was having a hard time coming up with anything negative about the UCinn program, really.

Sure, if you can stand being in OH for more than 20 minutes.:laugh: If I can't smell the ocean I'm not a very happy old girl. But I would have gone to UCinn if they'd accepted me (I got waitlisted).

What, nobody else is irritated by me harshing on your state or school?

No offense taken :)

We all like to rank our program as being #1. So in my book Cincy is #1 whereas in your book EVMS is probably #1 :thumbup:. In any case, the location doesn't really matter. As a former VA resident, I will attest to the fact that VA is pretty much forest and backwoods (unless you count the fancy Northern VA region). Strangely enough I didn't have any luck with any VA schools when I was a resident there whereas I had phenomenal luck with OH state schools.

sorry, i didn't mean to cause drama...

i'm just having trouble deciding where i want to go, and hadn't found any "official" rankings of the programs.

thanks for yalls insight. it's been really helpful!