Want to do Ob with low scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ckliethe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's my situation. I was just curious how competitive I will be.

Step 1 score=201

I'm a male and half way through 3rd year. Thus far I have gotten 15th percentile on my OB, IM, and FM shelves. I ended up getting NH in IM but Ps in the other two. I have gotten Honor reviews and been described as one of the best in the class from my evals in each rotation thus far, but my test scores are bringing me down. I LOVED my Ob rotation and know thats what I want to do, but took it first because I didn't think I was going to enjoy it. I'm kind of regretting that now.

I have done many other activities, like co-president for the Ob interest group, volunteered at a free womens health clinic for uninsured women multiple times (with more scheduled) along with the peds/adult medicine part of the clinic more than 30 times, was the co-president of the ethics interest group, and was the captain of a couple flag football teams in the area. I also have run two marathons. I feel my interview is one of my strongest areas, so think if I can just get an interview, I'll be able to do well in the match.

During my first two years I had to repeat one of the years. Not for failing grades, but for a few deferred grades. Part of what happened was a personal event took me away from school for a little bit and then I ended up not doing as well in those classes I missed.

I plan on taking my step 2's early and think I can do better (hoping for 220s at least), but think I just may be struggling a little on standardized tests.

I'd like to do my residency in a larger city and would enjoy going to one of the coasts, but am open to midwest as well. Just wondering about everyones input on how I will look on the match.

Members don't see this ad.

You probably would not get an interview at my program, unless you knew somebody. I am at a program in the south. I would highly recommend doing an away rotation and doing very well.

I appreciate your honesty, but what are the reasons would I not get an interview? Where are you at in the south? What would I need to do to get an interview? I will most likely get high scores in my Ob rotations 4th year, which do not have shelf exams.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
201 is on the low end, but I would not lose hope. As you said, continue trying your best from here on. I had no intention of going into ob/gyn and planned on going into one of the least competitive specialties. I let my grades slip, I am about slightly below average in my class and scored 220s on my Step 1. I just applied to many more programs. If worse comes you worse, you can spend more on casting a bigger net. Assuming you are a US student, there are programs that also have many IMGs that would love to have a US grad as that is another option.

There are a couple students in my class that are told to not even "waste their time" on trying to get into ob/gyn because of their low USMLE and GPA. But they are going to try anyways because they love it so much.

Anyways, I finished interviewing and went to over 15 interviews. I am too embarassed to say how many programs I applied to but I think it was worth it. I have a classmate that applied to fewer programs, although his application is way way better than mine. It is amazing what the number of programs you apply to can do. The best program he found so far was in a small rural area. I even got invited to some California places.

Also, if you really wow an attending, you may get a stellar letter of rec. Lots of the programs kept commenting on one of my letters, but of course, I waived my rights to read it. I'm not that stellar an applicant, but think a lot of it also is about how you go about applying.

Best of luck!

BTW, if your school offers an advisor, I would talk to them too for further input and to help coordinate your application procress and 4th year.

Thanks for the positive response. I know my scores are really low, but from Match data it says 120 people with my score matched and only 20 didn't. I feel my personality, work ethic, and letters of rec will make up for not being a stellar test taker. My problem is, I'd like to practice in more urban environments. I guess part of that will be searching for the residencies that aren't the most competitive in urban settings.

Some programs list 190, 200 or "pass" as their minimum Step 1 USMLE score required to interview on APGO. Of the programs that do list a cut off, I think the highest one I have seen is 215. Is that not accurate in reality?

If you improve on Step 2 and get good grades on your 4th year OB rotations with good LORs, you can get into a residency just fine. You'll just have to apply very broadly to smaller university and community programs (and there is nothing wrong with them, you just have lower chances of getting into competitive fellowships later if that's what you want).

I have a kind of ridiculous story -- went from top of the class, BAMD program student in college to bottom 25% by the end of first year. I had to take a leave of absence and repeated several 1st year courses, and passed Step 1 with a measly 195 after my husband came back from military service with extreme PTSD, suicidality and anger problems (and I worked 40-50 hours a week to help keep food on the table and gas in the car, could not even afford a study book nor time to study for the Step), and then got diagnosed with depression in the middle of all that. I just didn't have time nor motivation to study for any type of class, and it showed. Luckily, clinical stuff is more intuitive, common sense type stuff that I never had to do much but read a little to do well. Got almost all Honors in 3rd year, aced the OB shelf, and did much better (but still below average) on Step 2 (210) also without opening a book.

I mentioned the reasons for my academic difficulties in my personal statement and applied to 40 programs, half academic and half community. I got plenty of interviews and matched at one of my very top choices. I'm interested in general OBGYN and have family reasons for wanting to leave DC and be in the Midwest (OH, IL) and upper South (WV, NC, TN). I targeted just about every program in those regions and found quite a few diamond in the rough programs that I never even knew existed.

It is possible to match, just bring things up as high as possible now, get good letters, and be realistic as to where you apply.

Good luck!

I hate to be so honest, but the men in my program have on average board scores that are 20 points lower than the women in our program. Men have a slight advantage in matching because they are a sought after commodity in many female dominant programs.

A board score of 201 is fine! Might not get to Brigham and Women's or Northwestern, but you will def be successful in the match if you're pretty well-rounded and passionate about the field.

Thanks everyone for their stories and sharing the more personal information. Also thanks for all the advice and input and hopefully others can use the information as well. I have heard being a male will help my application, but I hate using that to get in. I'd rather work hard and earn it. I'm trying to do an away rotation at Northwestern and plan to impress there. What is a good "early" time to start applying?

I am in the same situation. got below 200 on Step 1. Hoping to greatly increase that on Step 2. Also have gotten B's throughout the year except Internal which i got a C in. (yes my school still gives grades this way unfortunately). Trying to do a couple externships and hope to impress them this way. I really want to do OB/GYN and don't know what else I would do. Really not interested in doing Family medicine. Also want to specialize in MFM but reading these forums make me think I should forget about that. Community program is probably the way to go for me right? Will I even get into them? Schools don't say on their websites "we accept students with low Step 1 scores", so how do I know where I can apply and where I shouldn't?

You have received some good advice. I would rotate at a 2-3 community hospitals in a geographical preference of your choice sub-I 4th year (can do MFM urogyn gyn onc, neonatology).

I would find a person at one of these places to be your mentor. I would get involved in an OB/GYN research project (the 3rd/4th residents often need help compiling data).

To be on the safe side I would have a back up plan ie IM/FP

I would apply day 1 to ERAS! Make sure your school knows your dilemma talk with your Dean and ask their support and guidance as when the Deans letter is released is usually when you will be granted an interview (if its held up this could affect your chances). Maybe the Dean can start helping you draft a personal statement.

I would apply to 45 programs go on at least 20 interviews. It seems ludicrous but if you really want to match you may have to do this. Rank all programs you interview. Take out a loan now!!! Its expensive and bank the money

Good luck
Feel free to PM me.
D